As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    With the smurfs, a simple stopgap solution would be you can't stack with anyone until you're at least 1 star bronze. It spreads the bullshit out more, and right now you could also make it multiple under lvl 100 players can't be on the same team too. It makes them wait more because outside of a grace period whenever OW2 releases if you don't have one star by then, you're more often than not a smurf and I feel fine putting a limit on what you unlock until you put in some time.

Of course regular frequent patches help too so you don't have new lvl 30 accounts with names like "Br0kenMcCree" or "BustedBap." And at this point I'd be down with Blizzard linking phone numbers to accounts on Xbox or making it so you can't group up unless you have a gamerscore over 1,000.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Biggest news from the AMA was a Bastion rework:
    Sure!

When re-approching Bastion the biggest starting point is like, "what is the core of this hero that feels like we should make sure to preserve". Our answer to that is he is a transforming robot, with huge damage potential when he is using his various modes well. We want to make sure Bastion isn't purely about aim-skill, but he also has a big focus on situational awareness and timing/positioning.

We're looking at pushing his recon form's range out by changing his recon weapon. This helps him generally be more useful, but also helps create separation between his other forms, especially sentry. For sentry form, the cost of reducing his mobility to gain huge damage is still interesting and its the heart of what makes him work. However, completely removing his mobility has proved to be too harsh of a penalty, and frankly its not realistically possible to balance him with this downside in mind (especially between different skill levels). So right now we're testing allowing him to move in Sentry form, but just more slowly than normal. This comes with new tuning for his Sentry weapon, of course, so it isn't quite as deadly as it is in OW1.

There is more to talk about with him down the road, but we're still in the middle of reworking him so hopefully we'll be able show him off in more detail down the road!

I've always thought they should do that, make him more like a TF2 Heavy.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    With the smurfs, a simple stopgap solution would be you can't stack with anyone until you're at least 1 star bronze. It spreads the bullshit out more, and right now you could also make it multiple under lvl 100 players can't be on the same team too. It makes them wait more because outside of a grace period whenever OW2 releases if you don't have one star by then, you're more often than not a smurf and I feel fine putting a limit on what you unlock until you put in some time.

Of course regular frequent patches help too so you don't have new lvl 30 accounts with names like "Br0kenMcCree" or "BustedBap." And at this point I'd be down with Blizzard linking phone numbers to accounts on Xbox or making it so you can't group up unless you have a gamerscore over 1,000.

The bolded sounds like a great way to make sure you get almost no new players. You can't punish/discourage smurfs at the expense of actual new players.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

The bolded sounds like a great way to make sure you get almost no new players. You can't punish/discourage smurfs at the expense of actual new players.

How many new buys are actually new players? I basically see no new players at all, just throwers/cheaters/smurfs on new accounts.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah the Bastion change is blindingly obvious. You are never going to balance a hero with total immobility.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

How many new buys are actually new players? I basically see no new players at all, just throwers/cheaters/smurfs on new accounts.

individual anecdotes that rely on confirmation bias isn't a great method for making a change with such a huge potential impact on low-level players

you only notice the low-level throwers/cheaters/smurfs because a) you're already primed to notice them, b) new players just doing their own thing aren't really going to stick out by their very nature, and c) if you've already got a bunch of hours in the game then the game is going to try and place you with similar players, i.e. people with similar MMR and similar playtime who aren't in a group (assuming you generally play solo)

requiring 100 hours in the game (which is roughly what a 1-star bronze works out to) in order to play with your friends absolutely sucks for normal players, even if that number isn't massive compared to overall player base. and the number of new players is going to explode whenever OW2 comes out, so implementing a change now that would have such a massive negative impact later on down the line would basically be them pointing a gun directly at their own foot, staring at it for several minutes, and pulling the trigger anyway

• Options
    Besides even if it were true that the game isn't getting new players, that's not something you respond to by saying "fuck new players, we don't need 'em". You try to solve whatever problem is preventing new players from getting into it. Otherwise you get a game in a slow and inevitable death spiral.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    u dont get matchmade with actually new players unless ur a new player or have pretty low normal mmr

ow has the same system as every other matchmade game where its hyper aggressive about pulling smurfs out of the new player island like eg league or whatever, its standard now

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    sanstodo wrote: »

individual anecdotes that rely on confirmation bias isn't a great method for making a change with such a huge potential impact on low-level players

you only notice the low-level throwers/cheaters/smurfs because a) you're already primed to notice them, b) new players just doing their own thing aren't really going to stick out by their very nature, and c) if you've already got a bunch of hours in the game then the game is going to try and place you with similar players, i.e. people with similar MMR and similar playtime who aren't in a group (assuming you generally play solo)

requiring 100 hours in the game (which is roughly what a 1-star bronze works out to) in order to play with your friends absolutely sucks for normal players, even if that number isn't massive compared to overall player base. and the number of new players is going to explode whenever OW2 comes out, so implementing a change now that would have such a massive negative impact later on down the line would basically be them pointing a gun directly at their own foot, staring at it for several minutes, and pulling the trigger anyway

That’s totally possible. I did see an actual new player in game on Numbani (he was part of a stack of more experienced players). He played Zarya and never built grav, only hitting 70 and 80% ult charge on defense and attack respectively.

It was incredibly obvious from the start that he was new. Virtually every other low level player I’ve seen has been a smurf or thrower (one was even a streamer who was both toxic and unfunny).

I’m fine with the game putting new players in competitive games together and it makes sense for them to avoid big changes with OW2 coming soon (well, soon in blizzard years).

I’m still going to be on blizzard’s case about tolerating a high level of racism, sexism, etc. in its player base. They can put out all the lip service videos during OWL streams but I won’t be happy until they start actually punishing the constant stream of racists in my games.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i had a game last night where the enemy widow was hitting some pretty crazy shots so i decided to dive on her and she just kind of flailed around and died. So i don't know if that's bad bot, someone with great aim but terrible gamesense, or something else. I definitely thought it was a bot at first but they actually changed off widow so /shrug

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i had a game last night where the enemy widow was hitting some pretty crazy shots so i decided to dive on her and she just kind of flailed around and died. So i don't know if that's bad bot, someone with great aim but terrible gamesense, or something else. I definitely thought it was a bot at first but they actually changed off widow so /shrug

Yeah, one thing about OW is since being down a man is such a big disadvantage pure mechanical skill can actually take you very far.

It's why some people like pickoff characters like Widow and Hanzo so much.

• Options
    Finally an experiment card
    HERO UPDATES (ONLY IN EXPERIMENTAL)

Baptiste

Exo-Boots

Charge time increased from 0.7 to 1 second

Developer Comments: Though it felt better to use, the previous reduction to the Exo Boots charge time resulted in Baptiste becoming much more evasive against some heroes. Since he already has strong defensive ability options in Regenerative Burst and Immortality Field, we’re reverting how quickly he can charge the Exo Boots jump.

McCree

Peacekeeper
    Reload time increased from 1.2 to 1.5 seconds
    Combat Roll
    Distance reduced by 20%

Developer Comments: Much of McCree’s recent success can be attributed to his increased maximum health and we think that aspect is working well to help solidify a close-to-mid-range role for him. We’re reverting the Combat Roll distance and Peacekeeper reload times as they lead to longer distance Flashbang initiations and made the burst damage from ‘Fan the Hammer’ less of a costly investment.

Moira

Biotic Grasp
    Resource regeneration is now three times higher while channeling Coalescence

Developer Comments: Many channeled ultimate abilities automatically reload the heroes weapon as they’re locked out from reloading for a short time. The new regeneration rate will refill about half of Moira’s Biotic energy resource over the full duration of Coalescence. This doesn’t fully refill Moira’s energy from empty as it would be unfortunate to lose that portion of her gameplay if players were able to fully cycle between ultimates with healing alone.

Reaper

The Reaping
    Life Steal amount increased from 30% to 35%

Developer Comments: This adjustment brings Reaper’s self-healing with his Hellfire Shotguns back to about where it was before the recent weapon tuning changes.

Zarya

Particle Cannon
    (Primary Fire) Beam damage now scales from 75-170 damage-per-second, down from 95-170

Developer Comments: Zarya’s base damage wasn’t adjusted after the beam hit detection changes awhile back but she wasn’t seeing much use at the time either. Now that she has a more dominant presence in a variety of team compositions, we’re looking at reducing her beams average damage, though the same maximum damage is still achievable.

Baptiste change still doesn't effect him the way he should, remove his rate of fire buff so he's not a better 76.
    McCree, all you had to do was make 200hp again (and Symmetra)
    Moira, pointless change to say they did a change to her
    Reaper, eh
    Zarya, good

I was hoping for a Mercy nerf on damage boost or reducing her ult along with an increase on Winston's shield cooldown.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    McCree ate too much pie at that diner

• Options
    Patch went through, all the same stuff as the experiment plus:

Echo ult charge increases 15%
    Moira ult charge increases 17%

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have no idea what was up with last night but I filed something like 30+ reports for really foul mouths, people throwing matches and one game I ended up reporting everyone

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    report them all and let aaron sort them out

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i did my healing placements yesterday. my last match was hollywood. i had 20k healing on moira and felt pretty good even with the loss. apparently dps gold damage was like 8k :(
    the sr rating system is still super confusing to me. 1 win, 4 losses, just under 2400.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    i did my healing placements yesterday. my last match was hollywood. i had 20k healing on moira and felt pretty good even with the loss. apparently dps gold damage was like 8k :(
    the sr rating system is still super confusing to me. 1 win, 4 losses, just under 2400.

It's putting you near where it thinks you'll be anyways. Like, put me in a top 100 games with like Pine and Gesture and I will 0-5 and weep in a corner after being lucky to generate any damn stats at all. Put me in those weird SR 10 games where folks intentionally try for as low a rating as possible and I will easily 5-0 while feeling like a golden god. Matchmaking feels like it is just giving you a chance to prove you don't really belong at the level it thinks you do by massively fucking up/over achieving. Neither of those is really summed up by win/loss.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm convinced that Hammond exists solely to make Paris the greatest argument against 2CP as a map mode

• Options
    I'm convinced that Hammond exists solely to make Paris the greatest argument against 2CP as a map mode

the more i stare at the paris map the more i hate almost the entire design of it. the aesthetic itself is nice but the whole layout is just ugh

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie Paris is...kinda bad.

The first choke is terrible.

And the second point just has so much wide open and unused space.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

It's hilarious as Hammond on attack. Just zip on over to the choke and watch pretty much every matchmade defense completely fuck themselves in response.

Less so on defense.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    You guys don't even get the added bonus on console of dickhead KBAM players pulling zero degree rolls and slams, then using their mouse to pinpoint headshot the enemy the second they pop out of the slam animation. And then Richard Hammond gets an ult in 45 seconds.

• Options
    i havent played paris since they removed it from comp but it did prompt me to learn the exact angle to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0xHcxNEos

thank u trigonometry

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    You know I've been thinking about 5v5 and 6v6 and someone made a good point.

In a way 6v6 was them trying to balance for the game the top 1% was playing.

And 5v5 is them balancing for the game everyone is playing.

I still have my reservations but I understand the logic behind it.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

It's putting you near where it thinks you'll be anyways. Like, put me in a top 100 games with like Pine and Gesture and I will 0-5 and weep in a corner after being lucky to generate any damn stats at all. Put me in those weird SR 10 games where folks intentionally try for as low a rating as possible and I will easily 5-0 while feeling like a golden god. Matchmaking feels like it is just giving you a chance to prove you don't really belong at the level it thinks you do by massively fucking up/over achieving. Neither of those is really summed up by win/loss.

Placements only exist as an excuse to reset you to your invisible MMR, despite whatever your SR might have been. Like, I'd gone 4-1 or 5-0 in absolutely dominating games and dropped an entire rank.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    the only time your mmr diverges from your sr significantly is if you are serially disconnecting / quitting and taking -50s (you lose sr but not mmr) and even then you will be below your correct mmr, not above

placements on accounts with a decent number of games played are functionally equivalent to playing those games normally pretty much. when not 3900 i can usually call my placement sr within about 20 or so

this idea that you actually have a hidden mmr that is dragging you down is simply false

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I don't play ranked much anymore but I will say I only really suffered a 100-200 point deviance on average.

Like if I ended in diamond I'd usually place in high platinum or low diamond.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    the only time your mmr diverges from your sr significantly is if you are serially disconnecting / quitting and taking -50s (you lose sr but not mmr) and even then you will be below your correct mmr, not above

placements on accounts with a decent number of games played are functionally equivalent to playing those games normally pretty much. when not 3900 i can usually call my placement sr within about 20 or so

this idea that you actually have a hidden mmr that is dragging you down is simply false

Come on. Nobody appreciates being told that they're lying about things that they experienced over and over. Plus, that's a whole lot of faith in the perfection of an intentionally obfuscated system that has been many times over had plainly obvious massive calibration and breaking problems, not to mention been overtly manipulated. Shit, man. For multiple seasons, placements were explicitly configured to dock you SR and place you lower than where you were 'supposed' to be, and gave you extra SR for games afterward as an encouragement to keep playing. Admitting that they were monkeying with SR after the fact was part of a dev update, even.

There are innumerable anecdotal stories all over the place of people with multiple accounts who are hardstuck at one rank while being at a completely different rank on a different account and the start of every season floods Reddit with people complaining (or bragging in the opposite case) of the same experience as I described. The idea that Blizzard's calibration is extremely responsive and accurate for all players and playstyles is laughable.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    i'm kind of enjoying this current month of overwatch league. i keep hoping for some big upsets. titans looking, not terrible, against the shock.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    There are innumerable anecdotal stories all over the place of people with multiple accounts who are hardstuck at one rank while being at a completely different rank on a different account
    This frequently turns out to be a second account that did well on reset due to a combination of volatility and getting matched with good teammates for placements, that is then left alone, while the other account has significantly more games played and is lower ranked because it's more accurate. Especially people who are "locked" in e.g. gold because they aren't improving will, if they place into plat, instantly stop playing because of their loss aversion.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Also I frankly do not give one single shit what people on Reddit say, think, or do. Reddit is a controversy engine that exists to directly convert anger into clicks. Of course you hear about all the times someone buys a second account, does better than expected, and places higher than their first account. You're never going to hear from people who thought they were so much better, then bought a second account and ended up placing the same or even lower. Anecdotal evidence is less than useless for stuff like this. (Also, I'm perfectly happy to admit that I'm one of those people. Bought a second account a couple years ago to prove to myself I didn't belong where I was and ended up placing, like, 300 points higher than my previous best. Eventually my old and new account basically fell into the exact same point.)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cross-play is happening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAxB9xbajg

No cross-progression yet. Console players need to link a Battle.net account. It only mixes console/PC players if they are in a group together and NOT competitive, in which case they go to the PC matchmaking pool.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Hmm...not gonna lie its weird they would do that without improving the aim on console.

Yeah I know blah blah PC Master blah blah, but OW has some of the clunkiest aiming I have dealt with on console.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I think the real meat of it is the combining of all three console playerbases. PC/console cross-play is more niche since you have to manually construct a team like that before the game will allow it.

• Options
    I wonder how bad the playerbase has fallen off to push this through before OW2.

At least it seems like PS/Xbox will be seamless, but I've heard Switch players are on the lowest level compared to the bigger consoles.

• Options

At least it seems like PS/Xbox will be seamless, but I've heard Switch players are on the lowest level compared to the bigger consoles.

That's a weird take, there's going to be crossplay between OW1 and OW2 anyway. So if they're working on this system they may as well put it out well in advance to iron out any kinks.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

That's a weird take, there's going to be crossplay between OW1 and OW2 anyway. So if they're working on this system they may as well put it out well in advance to iron out any kinks.

Crossplay is something that's nice to have for PS/Xbox mainly, but there's many other things to work on before that, and the way it looks now, that PC players can't opt out of crossplay, and aim assist is disabled for console players in crossplay, not to mention the benefits of 120+hz vs 60 (or 30 for Switch), it sure feels like they just needed fodder for queue times for PC.

But on a good note, the new Widowmaker skin is great, simple but clean and leans hard into Widow being femme fatale.

• Options
    Wait they disable AA for console players?

Hmm...I try not to be overly negative like some in here but this does seem a bit half-baked.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    ... Aren't there actually console-specific balancing differences that they do to compensate against controller aim/KBAM controls?