As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Smartphone Or Not To Smartphone?

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
My first-gen Pixel phone seems to be on its way out. That is, the phone app - the one that actually makes and receives calls - has stopped working reliably. Restarting helped for a bit, but lately that stopped working. So now I'm faced with the prospect of replacing it. The thing is, I both love and hate having a smartphone. It's a terrible form factor for actually making calls, for one thing. For another, easy access to the internet, games, etc. is dangerously addicting and thus a huge time sink (for me; ymmv). At the same time, being able to access the internet in a pinch when I'm out in the world and away from both my PC and without wifi is incredibly helpful sometimes, and something I'm loathe to give up.

And then, of course, there's how everything from my bank to my wifi-enabled smart lightbulbs assumes I have a smartphone that can run their apps.

But let's assume for the moment that I can do all my computing/internet heavy tasks at a stationary computer. The functionality I need in a portable communications device, then, is the following:
  1. reliable voice calling
  2. reliable SMS and MMS
  3. Google Hangouts (wifi when available; data otherwise)
  4. Google maps
  5. Basic internet access/browser for emergencies. Doesn't have to be fast or convenient, but it does need to be functional.
  6. Ideally, $40 or less per month (<$40 is what I pay right now for all of that and more with Google Fi; how much less depends on how much data I use)

Is it possible to get all of that in a flip phone? Have any of you given up your smartphone, and, if so, how'd it go?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    So far as I'm aware, you can only get 1, 2, and 6 in a flip phone, but no Google fi.

My suggestion is to get a new pixel (since migration is easy and it'll be familiar), stick with Google fi, and use the screen time.monitoring features to check your (understandable and common) impulses.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Do you need a smartphone for multifactor auth on anything?
    I don't think a flip phone can do that for you.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Pixel 3's are getting discounts to under $200 US since they are near the end of Google's promised update window. That's probably your best solution in the short term. You can also check used options.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    None of the flip phone people I know can do much if any of the internet features you are looking for. The only person I know of who went back did so to get something that was just a phone with no ability to do anything else. From what I have seen when looking at it as an option (because smart phones suck at making calls) they are less capable now than they were when smart phones started hitting the market. It makes a certain sense when I think about it. The market for a flip phone that can kinda sorta pass for a smart phone has to be fairly small.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm on the mint mobile (t mobile network) unlimited data plan for $30/month

Which seems like a pretty good deal, to me

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I wound up switching to a prepaid T-Mobile plan with this thing. We'll see how it goes!

Calica on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I think the new razor can do all of those and is technically a flip phone. Oh it looks like the flip form factor is seeing a resurgence in the smartphone market with Samsung and Nokia bringing smart flip phones.

I would get a cricket phone and get a free smartphone with the 30 dollar a month plan.

Mint is cheap too.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I think the new razor can do all of those and is technically a flip phone. Oh it looks like the flip form factor is seeing a resurgence in the smartphone market with Samsung and Nokia bringing smart flip phones.

I would get a cricket phone and get a free smartphone with the 30 dollar a month plan.

Mint is cheap too.

I was gonna suggest the Razr, but considering its flagship pricing I figured it's probably not a great replacement for a Pixel 1, especially for someone who's suggesting they're looking for less screen time.

That said if the flip isn't working out, you could always get a 1st gen Razr smartphone after the 3rd gens are likely to come out in September. They're likely to be cheaper, but I've heard the 2020 model didn't have a great folding screen, so a used one may end up with a drastically shorter lifespan then you'd want for the money.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    B&H has the Pixel 3XL for $180 or $200 in their daily deals right now.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads