As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Zek wrote: »
    I genuinely don't think a single Blizzard game has "insidious" monetization. I do think Hearthstone is skeezy, but that's typical of the genre.

Depends on your definition of insidious. They're much more sharky about the game in China than they are here, since China seems to just turn out their pockets for anything mobile.

In 2017 they dodged Chinese lootbox laws by changing their monetization model so that instead of buying packs, you're buying dust which just happens to come with packs as a "free gift" - that way they don't have to reveal the actual odds in their card packs per Chinese gambling laws. They also use two additional currencies that the western clients don't.
    Jars wrote: »
    I haven't played a lot of overwatch, but when I did they had a seasonal event with limited skins locked behind loot boxes and it was... not great

They still do that, but they are at minimum still available whenever that holiday rolls around again(and you can also buy all seasonal skins during the anniversary). What's worse is they now do promotions where you win a certain amount of games that week and you get a skin, with the main problem being those particular skins you oftentimes you never see again if you miss them. While you don't specifically have to buy anything to get those skins, it's a particularly aggressive kind of mental manipulation to get FOMO pulling you back into the game again - makes it more likely you will buy something incidentally when you are playing again and lets Kotick pad his precious MAU numbers.

Donnicton on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Like yeah I can understand if you think loot boxes are a predatory gambling mechanic, but Blizzard's handling of that stuff is pretty much in line with the rest of the industry. If you think old school Blizzard would not have added monetization to their games by 2021 if not for the Activision merger, I think you're mistaken.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Like yeah I can understand if you think loot boxes are a predatory gambling mechanic, but Blizzard's handling of that stuff is pretty much in line with the rest of the industry. If you think old school Blizzard would not have added monetization to their games by 2021 if not for the Activision merger, I think you're mistaken.

I don't think anyone's arguing that.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    overwatch 2 is literally on fire right now and might never see the light of day, and d4 reeks of 'games as a service' money extraction so I can't say I share your enthusiasm.

d2r does look good, but it's just an old game with new paint

Anywhere I can read about the Overwatch mess? This is the first I've heard of it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    the RMAH did not make them money. seriously. you can keep repeating it but it is not true that the RMAH made blizzard a dime. all that money went to paypal.

it was a service that they thought players wanted based on player behavior in diablo 2 and nothing more.

...made me money though. :mrgreen:

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    It was always a false dichotomy that the real money auction house was bad, but the gold auction house was good.

The instant it becomes significantly easier to generate in-game currency for an item than to find it yourself, the gameplay loop breaks.

And since the whole genre is based on getting loot to get better at finding even better loot, the majority of the stuff wanted by players will be found by the bleeding edge few who don't want it anymore because they have the best, or close to it. So they can price it just above the minimal amount of effort per drop they they're expending, and it's still a steal for the lowly pleb who would have to grind for days or weeks to find the same item.

At the same time, finding a really nice item is exciting more of the time when you can trade it to somebody who can use it in exchange for something you can use. Probably it's necessary to put up barriers to trade to get a compromise between these things, where something exciting is worth trading but even most of the stuff good enough to use is not worth trying to sell.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I had a dream about Diablo 2 last night, so I guess I’m looking forward to dumping another 8 million hours into it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    My gf's Wizard has been wrecking in GRs and my poor Necro was lagging far behind, felt bad. She's got something going where she just drops Hydras that annihilate everything

I didn't want to pull that Rathma gift set since it didn't seem great or fun, so after grinding some today I managed to get together 5 pieces of the Masquerade set, and a Royal Ring that I cubed

I'm feeling a bit better about myself now. Though, I'm currently using the Teeth version of Bone Spear, and hilariously I basically feel like I'm playing my UE DHunter. Still, pretty fun! I don't even have a generator slotted because I just eat corpses, heh. I need to look up what stuff to put with it. Right now I'm just using some Legendary 2H sword (Blood Brother?) because it's got big numbers.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    My main this season is the poison necro build. It's pretty solid and I'm enjoying it. For solo GR progression it's moving along pretty well. It's a nice build that's not beholden to cool downs

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    Without Haedrig's, I'm futzing around with 2-piece Marauder and 2-piece Unhallowed Essence, depending mainly on Strafe to deal damage (Got a Valla's Bequest soooo).

It's a completely un-optimised build with no synergies whatsoever, but I'm topping out only 4-5 GR's below where my 6 piece Rathma Necro was before I abandoned him out of boredom. So thats good.

But man is it slow going. I'm averaging one set-drop per 5-6 rifts at Torment 7 and am getting absolutely nothing useful from rolling blood stones. It feels like I'm doing it totally and utterly wrong. People keep saying 'Roll a few set pieces to get you started' but at my current rate that would likely take me 7-8 hours just to get a 4 piece?

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Are you on PC and around now? I’m on lunch and could get you some gear. If not, maybe tonight.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    Noggin wrote: »
    Are you on PC and around now? I’m on lunch and could get you some gear. If not, maybe tonight.

That's real kind of you! Sadly I'm on console.

If it’s switch, light the Bets signal.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind there’s that one cube recipe where you can turn a set piece into another piece of that same set, just in case you get like a duplicate UE helmet or whatever

That helped me in getting a couple pieces for the Masquerade set I’m using on my Necro

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    If it’s switch, light the Bets signal.
    I'm still getting used to the Switch controls. I really don't like how it makes my Shadow Set not as easy to run as on the PC. Darn laziness of auto-casting. Hahahahaha.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I'm on Switch and I have the treasure goblin amiibo!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

The rest of the industry's handling of gambling mechanics is not good, either.

To be clear, it's not just a Blizzard problem, and companies like EA are far worse, but gambling mechanics and limited time content in games that cost actual money are bad. Just flat out.

edited April 2021
    Keep in mind there’s that one cube recipe where you can turn a set piece into another piece of that same set, just in case you get like a duplicate UE helmet or whatever

That helped me in getting a couple pieces for the Masquerade set I’m using on my Necro

Yeah, the dusty cobwebs of my brain had forgotten that was a thing - unfortunately I haven't got any set dupes yet but I'll bear it in mind.

I'm up to four pieces of the Dreadlands gear now - I think I may abandon my plans to go UE and go that way instead. I've been playing with strafe as my main nuke after all, and I already have Valla's Bequest in the cube for piercing. I switched over to a Multishot build in anticipation of UE last night and honestly I like the spin-to-win then vault-away feeling of strafe better anyway.

I've been making the Vengeance CD manageable with an Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac in the cube for the time being, so no RoRG for me just yet, might do some Act 1 farming tonight so I can wear the RoRG, cube the Obsidian, until I can get a Dawn to drop.

Spaffy on
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    As someone who has only played solo, how do the handins for split bounties work? Do all players have to be in the town for the handin to Tyrael? Or will everyone get a bounty cache even if they are in another zone?

Evermourn wrote: »
    As someone who has only played solo, how do the handins for split bounties work? Do all players have to be in the town for the handin to Tyrael? Or will everyone get a bounty cache even if they are in another zone?

As long as you are in game you get a bounty cache when someone finishes Tyrael's hand-in dialogue. Generally the fastest way to grab caches is for people to each solo an Act's bounties then combine powers in Act 5 due to the potential map length of some bounties, so you would never see Tyrael personally more than twice

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ringo wrote: »
    Evermourn wrote: »

As long as you are in game you get a bounty cache when someone finishes Tyrael's hand-in dialogue. Generally the fastest way to grab caches is for people to each solo an Act's bounties then combine powers in Act 5 due to the potential map length of some bounties, so you would never see Tyrael personally more than twice

You gotta be careful though cause if you have a full inventory it'll just drop on the ground where you are at the time. I've almost lost my bounty bag as a result one time.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited April 2021
    Spaffy wrote: »

Yeah, the dusty cobwebs of my brain had forgotten that was a thing - unfortunately I haven't got any set dupes yet but I'll bear it in mind.

I'm up to four pieces of the Dreadlands gear now - I think I may abandon my plans to go UE and go that way instead. I've been playing with strafe as my main nuke after all, and I already have Valla's Bequest in the cube for piercing. I switched over to a Multishot build in anticipation of UE last night and honestly I like the spin-to-win then vault-away feeling of strafe better anyway.

I've been making the Vengeance CD manageable with an Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac in the cube for the time being, so no RoRG for me just yet, might do some Act 1 farming tonight so I can wear the RoRG, cube the Obsidian, until I can get a Dawn to drop.

Aight so I got my third piece of Dreadlands and picked up a Dawn, so I get the 4-piece bonus and near 100% Vengeance uptime and this is my goddamn jam. I jumped about 15 torment levels to try it out and waltzed through in well under 4 minutes, so I'll bump it up another 5 or so when I get back on tonight. 3 set-items dropped on my first run so it looks like I've crossed the threshold into loot city.

Love this playstyle. Nothing quite like hitting a speed pylon with full momentum and just rocketing around the map spitting death in all directions. Love it.

Spaffy on
    I finished off 6 piece Dreadlands, and got 9th Cirri Satchel and Depth Diggers cubed on the same run

this is

this is absurd

i am become death

Spinny Death

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Spinny Death

Really enjoying entering a room to find glowing purple orbs waiting for me on the floor, wondering what manner of creature could have dropped them.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Spinny Death

Really enjoying entering a room to find glowing purple orbs waiting for me on the floor, wondering what manner of creature could have dropped them.

I just switched to the GoD build from Shadow on the Switch... So much less button mashing from Shadow. I do miss not having Nems and poking out Elite and Boss eyes though, but it is so much more fun on console.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    *sigh*

I forgot that running more than 1-2 classes in Season mode means having to use item mules. It's so frustrating. I got distracted from my Crusader and haven't been playing him so I just loaded him up with the 58(!!) other Crusader specific Set and Legendary items in my stash. And that means he's done until I have the spoons to deal with more inventory management. Earlier I salavged my entire Inna set on my Monk because it was the least interesting to play - but it's not that I wanted to do it

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    So, very late to the party, I bought the full collection for D3 and started playing it for the first time except for trying the demo when it first came out.

I'm an altoholic so I've been creeping 5 different characters through each bit of story and map, and my wizards the first to go looking for the Skeleton King's crown.

Imagine my confusion when I find it in the second tomb and identify it, but still don't get quest progression and my character says it must be in the last crypt. I fight the enemy there and get quest progression...but the 'crown' I loot there isn't the crown.

Took me a trip to the wiki to figure out that I got it as a random drop and won't get it from the councilor if I already have it.

Kamar on
    Hm, I'm kind of surprised since PoE is infamous for its bad QoL and has this, but...does D3 not allow me to bind force move to left click and set skills to always activate without moving?

...apropos of nothing, do people, uh, often get banned from D3 for AHK use?

Not to left click, but you can bind force move. Scroll wheel and space bar are commonly mentioned options.

You can “autocast” certain skills by adding a secondary hotkey on the numpad, holding that number down, then enabling numlock before releasing. It’s clunky as hell (stops working when you alt-tab) and not technically endorsed, but not technically condemned either.

D3 does not have the notion of “cast without moving”, you just cast. That made certain skills in PoE feel absolutely awful to me until I learned about that option.

Not to left click, but you can bind force move. Scroll wheel and space bar are commonly mentioned options.

You can “autocast” certain skills by adding a secondary hotkey on the numpad, holding that number down, then enabling numlock before releasing. It’s clunky as hell (stops working when you alt-tab) and not technically endorsed, but not technically condemned either.

D3 does not have the notion of “cast without moving”, you just cast. That made certain skills in PoE feel absolutely awful to me until I learned about that option.

Hm? Holding shift casts without moving in D3, the same as in PoE, it just doesn't seem to have the option to toggle that to be the default for a skill.

Kamar wrote: »

Hm? Holding shift casts without moving in D3, the same as in PoE, it just doesn't seem to have the option to toggle that to be the default for a skill.

Oh ok, true- D3 does handle left click poorly. For any other button it will just cast. I was thinking of like Steel skills that have a certain range you have to move into unless you check the box, no matter what button it’s on.

• ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    I'm playing through a bit of the campaign on a HC hero just for grins and giggles (something to break up all the rift runs).

Leah: "You know, you and I aren't so different..."
    Me: "You know what, fuck you, I'm out, evil wins because fuck that statement and fuck you."

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    Season Journey complete. Just had to collect enough bounty caches to get the Avarice conquest (there was a scary moment around opening cache 20 or so where I thought the game had crashed, but the game recovered) and then sacrifice my level 70 Pain Enhancer as an Augment and voila, got my teeny lacuni pet!

I completed the Boss Mode conquest for the first time this season. Pretty fun on a speed kitted Monk

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Oh ok, true- D3 does handle left click poorly. For any other button it will just cast. I was thinking of like Steel skills that have a certain range you have to move into unless you check the box, no matter what button it’s on.

I hope D4 has a lot more logic to how skills on the mouse buttons work. D3 has very little consistency to what skills it'll let you map to the left click, and anything you do that has the left and right click happen in tandem can get really wonky. Like, with POJ monk, if I have Tempest Rush on the left button and dashing strike on the right (I think, I might have these reversed, I haven't played monk in awhile), you won't automatically go back into tempest rush unless you click left button again, instead of holding it down. However, doing the same thing with whirlwind barb, and their relative skills? Works fine.

Then, some classes it won't let you put channeled abilities on left click, but some it will. Some classes let you put your movement skills there, some not. I dunno.

Anyway, struggling to bring myself to do this journey on Switch. I probably shouldn't have done Wizard on PC and Switch, so it wasn't just the exact same thing over again. Plus, I doubt I'll be able to move to Firebird on Switch because it kinda needs combust on numlock for a chuck on the survivability, and I'm not sure I want to just constantly spam the button. Obviously numlock isn't required, and while Blizz has said they're fine with it, I don't think things are intentionally designed around it, but for a couple builds and basically the entirety of Necromancer builds, if you don't have access to it, you're stuck endlessly casting things like Devour or losing a ton of survivability. Also, it doesn't help that the Switch version seems to not want to give my Wizard anything other than Slorak's, forever. :rotate: I wonder if this season will be as long as the previous one.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Huh, just unlocked Akarat's Champion and started worrying about how terrible it looks, since I vaguely recalled that there was a permanent uptime set and that I'd seen the ability on every single build. But glancing at current builds it looks like if I keep playing it I won't have to look like that permanently after all?

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Season's journey done, managed to solo the 2 min Neph rift thanks to Aether Walker, Worm Hole, Nemesis Bracers, and a rift that copied the layout of early Act 1 so it was a huge open space for me to just chain teleport through while sprinkling Hydras.

Now I can relax and just work on the higher GRs.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular

I hope D4 has a lot more logic to how skills on the mouse buttons work. D3 has very little consistency to what skills it'll let you map to the left click, and anything you do that has the left and right click happen in tandem can get really wonky. Like, with POJ monk, if I have Tempest Rush on the left button and dashing strike on the right (I think, I might have these reversed, I haven't played monk in awhile), you won't automatically go back into tempest rush unless you click left button again, instead of holding it down. However, doing the same thing with whirlwind barb, and their relative skills? Works fine.

Then, some classes it won't let you put channeled abilities on left click, but some it will. Some classes let you put your movement skills there, some not. I dunno.

Anyway, struggling to bring myself to do this journey on Switch. I probably shouldn't have done Wizard on PC and Switch, so it wasn't just the exact same thing over again. Plus, I doubt I'll be able to move to Firebird on Switch because it kinda needs combust on numlock for a chuck on the survivability, and I'm not sure I want to just constantly spam the button. Obviously numlock isn't required, and while Blizz has said they're fine with it, I don't think things are intentionally designed around it, but for a couple builds and basically the entirety of Necromancer builds, if you don't have access to it, you're stuck endlessly casting things like Devour or losing a ton of survivability. Also, it doesn't help that the Switch version seems to not want to give my Wizard anything other than Slorak's, forever. :rotate: I wonder if this season will be as long as the previous one.

Hold down R2. Best solution I've found that doesn't wreck your hand.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    There isn't really an ARPG megathread so I'm going to post here in case others can help. Has anyone played Last Epoch? I grabbed it this afternoon and played maybe an hour and I'm not sure if it's just early game slowness or if it didn't hook me and I should refund my money. Thoughts??

I just got it recently. The pace starts slower than d3/poe speed but does pick up considerably. At least for my Lich it has.

I just finished the campaign today so I can comment on the available endgame soon. You could also check out twitch/youtube to see some of what the game offers. I had checked out Badger and Zizaran a bit before I bought it

This discussion has been closed.