As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] All this for a Toaster? Tag Spoilers!

SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
pg5fHb4.jpgpTrE2Db.jpg

Previously on the Mass Effect Thread
Version 1.0 - Mass Effect Andromeda announced, featuring even hotter humanoid ship AI
Version 2.0 - Ryders on the Tempest
Version 3.0 - Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full.
Version 4.0 - Sara's out and Scott free.
Version 5.0 - Ryders of the Lost Ark(s).
Version 6.0 - Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.
Version 7.0 - Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim.

(OP at least partially stolen from Curly. He carries us through more than just MP.)

We got trailers!

Original Trilogy - 720p
https://youtu.be/PfHxklxMhA4

Andromeda - 4k
https://youtu.be/X6PJEmEHIaY

Legendary Edition Reveal - 4k
https://youtu.be/n8i53TtQ6IQ

Original/Legendary Edition Comparison - 4k
https://youtu.be/UAScSKBDuno

Mass Effect Legendary Edition - Official Launch Trailer - 4k
https://youtu.be/q0lVjqxF0C0

The Next Mass Effect (Official Teaser Trailer) - 4k
https://youtu.be/Lg-Ctg6k_Ao

What We Know:
-The Original Trilogy is out.

-Mass Effect Andromeda is out.

-Good lord there's a bunch of comics and novels. Most are good, the rest are really bad.

-The Mass Effect: Legendary Edition Remaster is out. It's got every main game and almost all the non-MP DLC included; pour one out for Pinnacle Station, that code was corrupted and couldn't be fixed in time for release.

#Intai'seiBestApartment

-There will be another Mass Effect game, with BioWare implying that it will be a sequel to both the OT and Andromeda.

Versions of the Releases
PC
-The entire OT is currently available on Origin, complete with DLC.
-The entire OT is currently available on Steam, with only ME3's DLC. All Steam does is open the Origin Launcher anyway.
-Andromeda is available on both Steam and Origin, but both ultimately use the Origin Launcher.
Console
-The X360 has a full OT release, which is able to be played on the Xbone.
-The PS3 has a full OT release, but no compatibility with the PS4.
-Andromeda is available on the Xbone
-Andromeda is available on the PS4.
-Legendary Edition is available on PS4/Pro, PS5, the Xbone/X and the Series S/X consoles.
-Legendary Edition is available on Windows PCs.

Minimum System Requirements for the Legendary Edition
-One (recent) Sony or Microsoft console of your choice.
-A Windows-based PC
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-8350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760, AMD Radeon 7970 / R9280X GPU RAM: 2 GB Video Memory
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 120 GB available space

MASS EFFECT BONUS CONTENT DOWNLOAD (Available through May 31st, 2021 or until download capacity is reached.)
BioWare wrote:
We're giving fans a chance to download content previously available in the Deluxe Editions of Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, as well as the first Mass Effect soundtrack (including the new Legendary Edition Track: "Resynthesis").

Multiplayer
ME3 servers are still going, Andromeda servers are still going, but the Legendary Edition does not have MP. Hit up the thread if you want to get a game together!

Lastly, Quads.

sig.gif

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    "all this for a toaster"

LISTEN

LEGION IS MY SPOUSE AND I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO HURL SLURS AT HIM/THEM IN SUCH A MANNER

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    "all this for a toaster"

LISTEN

LEGION IS MY SPOUSE AND I WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO HURL SLURS AT HIM/THEM IN SUCH A MANNER

EDI is the real toaster. Mostly because her weird robot hair is weird.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I kinda wonder if it wouldn't have been better for BioWare to create an entirely new IP, rather than trying to resurrect Mass Effect.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Regarding the discussion in the last thread about a new ME vs a full remake, and fan reactions...

I just wanted to say that, while it didn't justify people freaking out (I don't even know if they did, I guess I don't frequent interweb places where people actually freaked out), the new Mako controls were legitimate trash. Maybe it made driving on the handful of linear missions easier? But it made getting up, around, and over mountains on unexplored planets substantially more difficult, made combat in the Mako counterproductive and liable to get you killed more frequently, particularly on Insanity, and made killing Thresher Maws next to impossible.

That's about the only change they made in the LE that I think was probably not good, and maybe not actually tested? It's like they put in the controls and only tried them on Therum or Ilos and called it good.

Anyway, now that I'm well into ME3 now, I've gotta say that despite all the changes to combat ME2 made, over ME1, I feel like the changes to movement and combat in ME3 was a bigger jump, over ME2, than ME2 was for ME. On paper ME3 is a refinement of ME2, which was a revolution over ME1; however, ME3 plays so much better than ME2 it isn't even funny, whereas the changes to ME2 were just different than ME1. Honestly, I think if they had just added on-command cover to ME1 for the LE, ME2's combat would have probably felt the worst of the series.

I almost didn't make it through the end of ME2 this time. I was so bored, that I was forcing myself to finish missions because I wanted to get to ME3. Enemy AI in ME3 is leaps and bounds over ME2. Area/arena designs in ME3 encourage so much more enjoyable combat and encounters than ME2 did. Powers feel so much more important in ME3, and interact with each other in so many more interesting and useful ways than they did in ME2, which despite having (again, on paper) better designed abilities, felt like they were less useful than ME1? Maybe it was a side effect of ME2 having shared cooldowns for some inexplicable reason? Even as a Vanguard, it just felt like the whole game it was more efficient and effective to play like a generic 3rd person shooter, and ignore most powers. ME3 is just more fun to play. I don't dread combat like I did in ME2. It also helps that the weapon system in ME3 is light years above ME2's. Though, it got super bloated, and the vast majority of weapons are simply useless in most situations, or at best just plain downgrades from numerous other readily available options.

One problem ME3 has though, that is bugging the hell out of me, is giving you missions you can't complete, but also providing you almost no information in the journal to indicate that, or even what the hell you're supposed to do, if you have the item you need, or if you still need to find it, etc. For all the improvements ME3 brought to the series, somehow they made the UI worse, and the information within less helpful in every possible regard. Why do missions not actually provide details anymore? Why do abilities only list some of the stats? One might tell you the radius, but then another won't, yet it will have a node that increases radius...? :rotate:

I dunno, I'm just happy to be in ME3, and done with ME2. I know, for some, ME2 is the high point of the series, but it is, for me, far and away the lowest point. Also, apparently, I never actually played Omega in the original release. It was quite good! I know I never played Citadel, by the time it came out I had moved on from ME3, so I'll have that to experience, though I suspect it won't live up to the hype. Not because of any lack of quality, just, it seems like the sort of thing that has kinda taken a life of its own over the years. I for sure played through Leviathan before, though.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    "all this for a toaster"

LISTEN

she says she can change it into strands AND THEY NEVER GIVE YOU A HUMAN EDI COSTUME EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD THE TEXTURES FROM Dr. EVA.

one of the biggest oversights.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I kinda wonder if it wouldn't have been better for BioWare to create an entirely new IP, rather than trying to resurrect Mass Effect.

They put so many resources into developing the ME universe into an interesting place with interesting lore and species and technology and visual aesthetic. Like, regardless of what the gameplay looks like in the next game, the setting stands by itself as compelling. Even if they do another ME Andromeda type thing and just do a soft reboot in a new area, there's enough there that would carry over that would be interesting.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    "all this for a toaster"

LISTEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUEbvWt_O0

sig.gif
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    mancingtom wrote:
    People whined about Bioware changing the Mako controls or the color of the sky on Eden Prime. I can only imagine the endless screeching if they tried to remake the trilogy. There would be death threats. Internet boycott campaigns. Mods to make all the brown characters white. Pandemonium.

I like the remaster—it's a new coat of paint and makes it easier to run on modern platforms. But a remake? Far better to make a new game and tell new stories than go back to the same thing we had before. Shepard's story is done and it's time to move on. How much would Star Trek have lost if they had just remade TOS in 1987 instead of telling new stories?

People will complain about anything, it's far from an excuse to do a project. RE2Remake came out in 2019, RE8 came out in 2021. Which means 2 different teams were probably developing them in parallel. EA is way bigger than Capcom, I don't see how they couldn't have a team working on a new Mass Effect while also doing a full remake of ME1. While I agree I'd love new stories, Shepard's story is awesome and there's no guarantee due to EA, Bioware Execs, staff turn over, etc, we'll ever get a great Mass Effect game again.

It's probably just me. I've played ME1 half a dozen times or more. I guess I was hoping the fresh coat of paint would make me love it as I did in the past. But instead I was mostly bored interspersed with irritation when driving the mako or hitting a bug that's been there since launch for the 45ish hours I played it (outside of the last couple hours of gameplay).

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I thought they did more to the Mako controls than just the camera-based direction controls?

I turned that off immediately - camera based directional control has no purpose - but the Mako still felt significantly different. Was there a second setting?

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played through ME1 100% playthrough on Insanity and didn't have any trouble whatsoever with the Mako. It felt fine? I have no idea what the complaints could be.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I thought they did more to the Mako controls than just the camera-based direction controls?

I turned that off immediately - camera based directional control has no purpose - but the Mako still felt significantly different. Was there a second setting?

They added the speed boost too i think.

steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »

They added the speed boost too i think.

Yeah I knew that part too but people are saying there was handling changes that you could toggle off? I didn't see that option, only the camera orientation.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    NEW THREAD
    LET'S FUCKING
    GOOOOOOOOO

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    From previous thread:
    Yes, if I had to choose between a quality Mass Effect 4 that brought the series back to life or a full effort trilogy remake, I would choose the former. I just think that's a false choice, both should be possible. They have the resources of EA behind them, it should just be a matter of resources and time. ME Legendary sold to the nostalgic, I'm curious how many new young 'uns it converted. Something like FF7 Remake created an entirely new fanbase, people who hadn't really thought about since they're on a Ps4, there must logically have been a Ps1. Another remake I feel did things mostly right was the Nier one, it plays snappier, includes content that old fans just had to read about, and new stuff for everyone.

That's a surprisingly widespread phenomenon. I remember back in my game retail days, someone asking for "Grand Theft Auto 3... you know, the first one." And no, that wasn't just in reference to it being before VC and SA, he literally never realised there might possibly have been a GTA1 & 2 before it. The very notion had not occurred.

Mind you, there's probably a contingent who'd think FF7 was "the first one" as well...

(I don't want to sound elitist here. I don't care where someone hops on to a series, especially one where the entries are connected as loosely as GTA or FF; I'm glad they're jumping on at all*. Just that, basic math is a thing and, typically speaking, these numbers aren't bolted onto the end of a title for no reason. I doubt any of these guys would think, say, Mission: Impossible 3 is the first Mission: Impossible movie, too. So why with games?)

* - mind you, if you jump on Mass Effect at 2 or 3 and, if you like it (especially for the story/characters), never go back to the previous one(s), you are absolutely doing it wrong.**

** - perhaps the single best thing about the Legendary Edition is that now nobody is recommending skipping ME1 because of gameplay roughness.

Jazz on
    edited June 2021
    "all this for a toaster"

LISTEN

Also Cylons are often derided as toasters, and EDI is... well, of literally all people on the (IRL) planet, Tricia Helfer.

Jazz on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Mind you, there's probably a contingent who'd think FF7 was "the first one" as well...
    For Europe, FF7 was the first one. We're just lucky they decided to give up renumbering them between regions by then.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    edited June 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    For Europe, FF7 was the first one. We're just lucky they decided to give up renumbering them between regions by then.

First one to be released, sure... but was there not a clue that maybe there were a few other ones?

Europe at that point was still very used to not getting everything released that America and Japan got. JRPGs were still very rare and rather niche (FF7 was definitely the one that blew the doors off). Grey importers like Telegames (RIP) were still kicking around. PS1s were being chipped to play imports, of games unreleased here as well as unadulterated 60Hz versions. In that respect it was a different time.

Jazz on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I played through ME1 100% playthrough on Insanity and didn't have any trouble whatsoever with the Mako. It felt fine? I have no idea what the complaints could be.

I'd imagine folks that either don't remember ME1 very well or have never played it. Even with the new controls off, the Mako drives like crap compared to say the Nomad in ME:A. My favorite was on Feros, where I hit a bit of geth fencing and the Mako shot up to the right, flipped on it's top, and then while trying to flip back over fell off the sky-bridge. But this is how it was in the original as well.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    edited June 2021
    First one to be released, sure... but was there not a clue that maybe there were a few other ones?

We knew. But knowing they logically exist doesn't mean knowing the first thing about them. Knowing about them required you to be fairly dialled into things, usually meaning buying the magazines that talked about it (the Official magazines (that generally had the largest readership thanks to the word Official in the title) didn't like to mention great games that weren't available, lest they lose the word Official in the title).

For a real 'wait, there was one before this?' reaction, Street Fighter 2 probably sets the standard.

edit: messed up the quotes.

klemming on
    SF2 definitely was the precursor, the trope namer if you will. Mind you, SF1 was not a very good game and it's kind of amazing it got a sequel! From little acorns, and all that.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I didn't really notice the Mako being any worse than it usually was.

Dragkonias on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    it was, to my taste, markedly improved in all use cases. but again, i am a normal difficulty type guy. i like being with the characters and feeling like shepard when i am fighting and added difficulty from hardier and more damaging enemies would improve that. so i don't know how much of the criticisms become on harder levels more apparent, but even thresher maws were fine if you just circled them, not easy or fun but in no way much harder than my memory.

the boost made it more fun in all situations for sure.

okay not being able to get through the last bit in Therum in the mako due to invisible walls was a bad improvement. nothing at that point should've been able to stop you there.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Did the IFF last night so I think there's just the last loyalty mission, the end run and the two post game DLC packages to go before I have wrung every drop of flavour out of ME2. I'm surprised how well the gameplay has held up, and the combat remains fun as hell, with occasionally frustrating speedbumps that are down to the insanity difficulty and not the actual mechanics.

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    And that’s credits on ME3. Man, the first 3/4 of that does so much right, and then they just kind of lose the plot. On reflection, I think the reason that the “everything gets fucked up no matter what you do” endings rankle so much because of ME2. When you send the player on a “suicide mission” that they can get through with 0 casualties, it creates an expectation that similar things will continue.

And when it’s the end of a trilogy of games that the player has dumped 100+ hours in to, you kind of want that end to be an unmitigated triumph.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I wish there was a step between Normal and Hardcore in ME3. Normal I'm literally never sweating on any fight. I just took out 4 Brutes without a problem. On Hardcore I would have died 11 times.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Odd bug I found twice. In two different on planet missions after talking to someone my frame rate went waaaaaaaaaaaay down. It was choppy and felt like going through tar. At first I thought it was my PC and did all the things to try and fix it such as retinstalling drivers, messing around with settings but nothing fixed it. I then tested a couple of other games but they were smooth. So I reloaded a save previous to when it happened and it was fine. Talked to the person again and it completely bogged down. I skipped talking to the person and it didn't happen. On another mission it happened again. This time I couldn't skip it but if I loaded the game previous to the talking there wasn't a issue. After talking to the person it happened so I endured and then ending the quest and leaving the planet the fps was good to go.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    urahonky wrote: »
    I wish there was a step between Normal and Hardcore in ME3. Normal I'm literally never sweating on any fight. I just took out 4 Brutes without a problem. On Hardcore I would have died 11 times.

Veteran in ME2 was kind of perfect. It punished you for being sloppy but still let you feel powerful and effective and didn't force highly conservative play.

I can see why you wouldn't make five fully distinct difficulty levels, though, for the next game. That's a lot of tuning.

Evil Multifarious on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Damn the Last Stand during Arrival is fucking hard on Insanity.

Edit: ahaha holy shit, the achievement for it isn't in the LE. I've been playing this for hours for no reason.

jdarksun on
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    ME2 Insanity has been kind of a cake walk as an Infiltrator.

The widow sniper rifle is a fuckin' beast. Most "normal" enemies go down in a single headshot. 2-3 if they've got more than just a single layer of defense.

Anyone that's left gets the M-920 Cain.

And cloaking makes it super easy to just reposition if enemies start getting too close.

RT800 on
    Did they nerf the Infiltrator in ME3? I loved that class in 2 (went with Vanguard because charge is fun but really couldn't utilize it until near-end game).

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

The widow sniper rifle is a fuckin' beast. Most "normal" enemies go down in a single headshot. 2-3 if they've got more than just a single layer of defense.

And cloaking makes it super easy to just reposition if enemies start getting too close.
    For the most part, I've really been enjoying the Infiltrator on Insanity... except for certain knife-fight-in-a-telephone-booth parts (like Object Rho). My squadmates tend to die immediately if they wander out of cover though (I do too, for that matter). I'm looking forward to picking up the Widow, almost there.

I do miss being able to create my own biotic detonations though.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I was actually pretty happy cause I managed to do the Arrival fight on my third try. Originally it took me like 10.

And if Vanguard Charge didn't fuck up on me I might have did it first try.

Also, new patch out today.

Good news it fixes the Spectre gear and max level bug from ME1.

Bad news it puts the ME1 -> ME2 money cap at 100k so no more ballin' outta control.

Dragkonias on

The Widow is the shit. When you absolutely, positively have to punch a massive great hole in something, accept no substitute. To quote Garrus, "I love this rifle."

I always loved the flavor text of the Widow, Claymore, Revanant.

"Normal humans can't use these weapons without breaking their arms. Luckily you're a cyborg now so it's cool."

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    As of this writing, the official site doesn’t seem to have any patch notes for the 5.85 GB Origin’s making me download today. Does anybody here know what’s being fixed?

EDIT: Oh.
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Yay!
    Bad news it puts the ME1 -> ME2 money cap at 100k so no more ballin' outta control.

Boo.

EDIT Again: Oh hell, I don’t even have the available hard drive space for this patch!

I’m enjoying revisiting the original game for the first time in a long while. Love the improved character creator; my “canon” Shepard never had (non-modded) access to a hairstyle that felt right for her until Mass Effect 3 originally; it’s nice to able to use it right out of the starting gate.

The biggest surprise for me is how different I find the squaddies from how I’d been remembering them.
    • Back in 2007, I think I tended to hit spacebar after I’d read the subtitles on Tali’s dialogue, but this time she’s undoubtedly my favorite person to talk to.
    • Ashley is somehow more racist than I remember; she literally trotted out “you know how those people are” on Noveria.
    • And Garrus… oh, dear. His entire personality is “cops shouldn’t have rules.” If not for the insights into Turian culture he provides, I’d probably hate him as much as Williams.
    And while being able to mark items as junk is an absolute Godsend, I really wish I could view (or filter) items by type in stores instead of just in inventory. (Of course, now that I’ve said that, I’m thinking that I might just be dumb and missing how to do this.) But maybe I’m just acting like a mouse who’s been given a cookie.

Sneaks on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

The Widow is the shit. When you absolutely, positively have to punch a massive great hole in something, accept no substitute. To quote Garrus, "I love this rifle."

Man I remember rolling around to Mass Effect 3 and seeing the Black Widow in the Spectre shop and going "wait are you cereal. Are you fucking kellogg's blueberry cereal you made a goddamn semi-automatic Widow"

My favorite part about Mass Effect 3 is them bringing some of the vibes back from Mass Effect 1 like Spectre Requisitions

Also, new patch out today.

Guess it's a good thing I imported my 9999999 credits into ME2 yesterday, huh?

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Re-installed original ME3 for the MP. Can't believe the original game was only 10gb. Feels like a different era to install something that small...

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Re-installed original ME3 for the MP. Can't believe the original game was only 10gb. Feels like a different era to install something that small...

10 gig? Bah. I remember when games came on floppy disks. And no, I don't mean 3.5 inch diskettes. 1.2 MB ought to be enough for anyone.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Yeah the more I play ME3 the more I miss multiplayer. God that was so much fun.