As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] All this for a Toaster? Tag Spoilers!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Full patch notes:
    General

English spoken dialogue can now be selected separately from subtitle language
    Resolved issues with unlocking some achievements/trophies, such as the Paramours or kill count trackers
    Corrected pre-rendered cutscenes that were darker than intended after the previous update
    Wireless headsets/devices no longer cause issues with the Xbox launcher
    Improved PC performance across various hardware configurations, including on Virmire
    Fixed an issue on PC where non-standard characters in the operating system's username would prevent the game from launching
    Removed the dependency on the AVX instruction set in the launcher
    Other minor calibrations and fixes, including some instances of crashing

Mass Effect

Fixed an issue that prevented players from reaching the max level
    Fixed an issue where tier VII Spectre - Master Gear was inaccessible
    Various collision improvements
    Fixed an issue that would prevent the ability to interact with objects
    Lowered audio volume on Mass Relay load screens
    Improved eye animations for male characters in some scenes

Mass Effect 2

Toned down the intensity of fog on Illium
    Fixed an issue where a character's eyes at the end of the Overlord DLC were unintentionally red
    Reduced the max credits that can be carried from Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2 down to 100k for more balanced early-game progression
    Credit carryover maximum now matches carryover from the original release
    Posthumous banking fees are a lot! It's a great way to dodge taxes.

Mass Effect 3

Resolved an issue where English dialogue no longer played during the Citadel DLC for German and Italian localisations
    Fixed an issue where some key characters weren't appearing as intended during the Citadel DLC

Toned down fog on Illium? Thank the Goddess for that. Bummer about the ME2 credits, and nothing about the busted time counter on saves in ME2. But still, looks solid.

But the patch is a whopping 19.36GB on Xbox. That's bigger than all of OG ME2 with ALL the DLC. :eek:

Jazz on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The patch was massive and took forever to download because the Origin servers are scanned. Gross.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Why the FUCK do my fish keep dying?

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    First one to be released, sure... but was there not a clue that maybe there were a few other ones?

We knew. But knowing they logically exist doesn't mean knowing the first thing about them. Knowing about them required you to be fairly dialled into things, usually meaning buying the magazines that talked about it (the Official magazines (that generally had the largest readership thanks to the word Official in the title) didn't like to mention great games that weren't available, lest they lose the word Official in the title).

For a real 'wait, there was one before this?' reaction, Street Fighter 2 probably sets the standard.

edit: messed up the quotes.

For what it's worth, FFVII has a unique place in this issue. It came out when the internet and global knowledge was starting to explode. If you didn't know about Square's numbering system before and the "lost" 3 FF games you never knew about, you sure did now that they changed it with VII. For many people in NA, the reaction was more like "Wait a second... 7? Where the fuck are 4 5 and 6?!?!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    First one to be released, sure... but was there not a clue that maybe there were a few other ones?

We knew. But knowing they logically exist doesn't mean knowing the first thing about them. Knowing about them required you to be fairly dialled into things, usually meaning buying the magazines that talked about it (the Official magazines (that generally had the largest readership thanks to the word Official in the title) didn't like to mention great games that weren't available, lest they lose the word Official in the title).

For a real 'wait, there was one before this?' reaction, Street Fighter 2 probably sets the standard.

For what it's worth, FFVII has a unique place in this issue. It came out when the internet and global knowledge was starting to explode. If you didn't know about Square's numbering system before and the "lost" 3 FF games you never knew about, you sure did now that they changed it with VII. For many people in NA, the reaction was more like "Wait a second... 7? Where the fuck are 4 5 and 6?!?!".

Maybe the people who thought say GTA3 was the first one, or PS4 the first PS, think it's an esthetic choice like SW Episode IV being the first one.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Maybe the people who thought say GTA3 was the first one, or PS4 the first PS, think it's an esthetic choice like SW Episode IV being the first one.

Or maybe they're idiots.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 2

Booooooo, Shepard being a baller was fun.

I have yet to find anyone who thinks the PS4 is the first PS, I must admit. That includes small children.

jdarksun wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    Are you feeding them?

This. They need feeding after every mission. Every time.

Until (or unless) a certain very helpful crew member offers to feed them for you...

Are you feeding them?

Until (or unless) a certain very helpful crew member offers to feed them for you...

I feed them.

But I thought you were supposed to feed them every OTHER mission or so or they'd die from OVERfeeding.

Are you feeding them?

I feed them.

But I thought you were supposed to feed them every OTHER mission or so or they'd die from OVERfeeding.

I just held off on getting any fish on this playthrough until I'd had dinner with [REDACTED]. Then I never had to worry about it!

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Just finished the suicide mission. Gat dang do I love shooting things while that tune plays.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Mass Effect 2

Booooooo, Shepard being a baller was fun.

They are so freakin stingy with money I’m the game. Buying things you only marginally want is a huge penalty. Every purchase to be evaluated carefully, and there’s very little gameplay reason to do that.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    0zsshwgm79af.jpg

Now less foggy.

• PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    I don't recall any money issues in my last ME2 playthrough, and this was a non imported save in the original. I don't even recall anything worth buying other than weapon/gear upgrades, and I could certainly afford them all by the end of the game.

I guess if you're on insanity and need them ASAP, maybe, but I didn't miss out on anything that would affect the end game so I dunno.

There's more to buy now, since some paid/promo DLC weapons and armor that previously would have been in the Normandy's armory from the get-go migrated to various stores.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The biggest thing was being able to get all the really expensive upgrades early.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Fixed an issue where a character's eyes at the end of the Overlord DLC were unintentionally red

Huh! I thought that was on purpose.
    It honestly fit right into the general HOLY BODY HORROR, BATMAN D: thing going on there.

Honestly that whole mission really nailed it on the horror but sympathetic horror vibes.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Omg I did one MP game on bronze just to get the feel of things again and boy oh boy I almost cried from nostalgia. The gameplay just fits like a glove and the wonderful ebb and flow of the twenty minute 11 wave mission is just beautiful. I really miss it and truly hope they re-insert it in the legendary edition.

I remember way way back playing the original ME2, even with the import bonus money could get real tight at points. Money is a finite (sort of) resource, and if you're not careful you could burn a lot of it on fuel and probes. I remember trying to save scum the vorcha betting on Tuchanka trying to get the last few upgrades. Apparently there's a soft lock in the game where if you blow every last dime on fuel and then run out of fuel, there's no way to get to the IFF mission anymore, but this is one of those things you have to actually try to do. Now I say money is sort of finite, because the Shadow Broker DLC lets you do investments for money, and they reset either after a mission, or after 1 real IRL day. So you can earn infinite money with it if needed. Plus there's the rest of the DLC with its money. So it shouldn't be much of an issue here.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Are you feeding them?

I feed them.

I've been feeding them after every mission, and they seem fine.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Owning fish in Mass Effect sounds like exactly how it is to own fish in real life.

You can feed the fish every time you enter the cabin, and I know I've done it multiple times. "Did I feed the fish? Better do it again to make sure. Ok, now... Did I feed the fish?". You can't overfeed them, or at least I haven't done it anyways.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Are you feeding them?

I feed them.

ME2 post-suicide mission
    After the pain of watching Kelly get pulped, it's an extra twist of the knife to come back to the ship after a mission and find your fish dead too since she's no longer around to feed them.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I was doing good maintaining my fish until Illium.

Any stretch of plot where you can do tons of missions back to back without returning to the Normandy is dangerous.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I've honestly never had a fish die in any of my playthroughs of ME2/3, including these ones.

It helps in ME3 there's a thing you can buy on your first Citadel visit (iirc) to automatically feed your fish, but this most recent ME2 playthrough was the first I ever had Kelly offer to feed the fish.

I just habitually run through every room and every squadmate after every mission, though, so hitting the feed button is just part of the ritual. I'm not sure you can overfeed them? I've never heard of that being a thing.

Real fish, yeah...overfeeding is one of the biggest and most common reasons for first time fish keepers killing their fish. I've got about 15 aquariums right now, and I have a pet peeve with the fact that virtually everything you're instructed to do by chain pet stores that sell fish and supplies is frequently about the opposite of what you should do if you want to get an aquarium up and running and have fish that live long, healthy lives. It is exacerbated by the fact that the vaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast majority of aquarium supplies are made and marketed to force you to constantly buy products instead of create a self sustaining ecosystem. One of the only filter products that have any real purpose in the fish hobby are canister filters, and even then if you don't know how to use them and maintain them properly they're just as useless as any of the other hang on backs and such, and can easily be replaced with a simple sump, that doesn't take up much more room and is infinitely easier and cheaper to maintain and repair. Maaan don't get me started on fish. :lol:

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Are you feeding them?

I feed them.

ME2 post-suicide mission
    After the pain of watching Kelly get pulped, it's an extra twist of the knife to come back to the ship after a mission and find your fish dead too since she's no longer around to feed them.
    If you lost Kelly, that's grounds for a do-over.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Bogart wrote: »
    Just finished the suicide mission. Gat dang do I love shooting things while that tune plays.

Suicide Mission is my all time favourite piece of video game music. It totally sells the “relentless, unstoppable force championing Life itself descending into the deepest pits of Hell” feel of the level.

But then, the Mass Effect series has no shortage of great music. Vigil (ME1) is an amazingly peaceful, bittersweet, and ultimately hopeful piece. The main theme (ME1) is great in how it starts off quiet and mysterious and then just keeps building. The Normandy Reborn (ME2) is tied to my favourite starship reveal scene ever, and puts a massive grin on my face. Legion (ME2) is basically the music I associate with the Reapers - it starts off mysterious, in a “something is out there in the dark” kind of way, and then a “I see glimpses of something, and it’s terrible” and then goes into terrifying full “despair mortals, for you stand in the presence of a Dark God” sounds. I found most of the new ME3 music disappointing compared to ME1 and ME2, but A Future Many Will Never See is great - it really sells to me that the war is over, and despite it being a victory it’s not a happy one, with too many lost and too much destroyed. And then there’s Jack’s music, and Samara’s music, and The End Run, and Sovereign’s theme. . .

The first two games really hit it out of the park, and ME3 was adequate, especially when it leaned on older music.

Edit: Also, every track on the Lair of the Shadow Broker soundtrack is awesome. From start to finish, maybe the best music in the series.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I loved that the game over music in ME1 was Saren's theme, so it helped build up this hatred of whenever he would actually show up.

sig.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If you aren't a fan of the credit transfer limit, you should know that a standard memory scan with Cheat Engine can find your credit balance in about two seconds and adjust it to whatever you want. I did it anyway through ME2 for scanning resources - I definitely was not touching planet scanning.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I'm playing through the Leviathan DLC.
    Dr Garneau looks eerily like my usual male Shepard appearance. It makes that cutscene unintentionally spookier.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Even with the 1mil from the transfer pre-patch, I ended ME2 with about 600k or so credits, and I did everything.

So, unless I just messed up somewhere (I was pretty anal about getting everything in every mission), there's not enough credits in ME2 to get everything.

Because I'm fairly sure I didn't spend 400k on probes and fuel.

I know you can do the investments in the shadow broker's base, but unless you're wanting to dick with your system clock a bunch, it's a pretty slow way of making up the difference.

Whether it was a bug or not, I don't see what the 1mil hurt. "early game balance"? In a 15+yr old single player game? That has most of the upgrades in the game locked behind progression gates anyway? Weird thing to be concerned about patching.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Damn the Last Stand during Arrival is fucking hard on Insanity.

Edit: ahaha holy shit, the achievement for it isn't in the LE. I've been playing this for hours for no reason.
    Whatever, in for a penny in for like a whole goddamn day of trying to get it done. I finally did it. Not for any achievement, but because by god you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Are you feeding them?

I feed them.

ME2 post-suicide mission
    If you lost Kelly, that's grounds for a do-over.

For most of my runs, I'd agree.
    But this particular run is my big damn hero, full Paragon and savior of the Citadel ME1 Shepard gets indoctrinated by events in ME2 and starts buying into TIM's ends justify the means BS and starts coldly sacrificing squadmates and civilians to get the job done, eventually getting everyone killed through ME3 and in the end the Reapers win by the indoctrinated Shepard "choosing" their Control trap ending.

Okay, so the Paramour 1 and 2 achievements...

I romanced Liara in ME1. I thought inviting her to the Normandy after Shadow Broker would unlock the achievement, but no dice.

I haven't collected the Reaper IFF yet, so I don't know if it gets unlocked later, but do I basically HAVE to start a different romance in ME2 to get the achievement?

Okay, so the Paramour 1 and 2 achievements...

I romanced Liara in ME1. I thought inviting her to the Normandy after Shadow Broker would unlock the achievement, but no dice.

I haven't collected the Reaper IFF yet, so I don't know if it gets unlocked later, but do I basically HAVE to start a different romance in ME2 to get the achievement?

From what I've heard, those achievements are technically just for triggering 3 "romance scenes", so it can be cheesed by reloading ME1 saves. But yes, ME2 Liara doesn't count for whatever reason, so if you want to do it "right" it'll need to be someone else. Assuming you aren't already past the decision point on those conversations with everyone.
    Kelly and Samara/Morinth also don't count. And in ME3, Thane, Javik, Samara, Vega, and Diana Allers don't count.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    It's time for SUICIDE MISSION*

*except everyone is loyal, I bought all the things, etc

Question for Mshep players: How bishounen is it possible to make an mshep without mods? And, are there mods for making him look like a Korean boy band singer? I want the prettiest boy.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You can get
    a romance scene with Samara? Is it just you two on a couch or something? I though she was celibate.