As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Welp, that post cured me of any interest I had in Gundam, so thank you :P

There are a variety of different "grades" of Gundam model kits, that come in different sizes and complexity. The Real Grade kit posted is a relatively new line and is the complexity of their 1/100th Master Grade kits but compacted to a 1/144th scale. They're meant to be for more advanced builders.

Starting out with a $15 High Grade kit and an Xacto knife with some sandpaper is all you really need.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I wouldn't let that deter you, the stickers are totally optional. We've got quite a few forumers in the SE++ thread that never use them. Pick a recent High Grade kit you like and go to town!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p71ltZ_qH0
    LEGO® Builder’s Journey is an aesthetic and atmospheric geometric puzzle game set in a completely LEGO Brick-based environment. Puzzle your way through each stage, building brick-by-brick, to progress and discover the game’s charming story as you go.

On June 22nd, LEGO Builder’s Journey comes to life on PC enhanced with ray-traced Ambient Occlusion, Global Illumination, Reflections, and Shadows. And it’ll be accelerated by NVIDIA DLSS.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1544360/LEGO_Builders_Journey/

RTX ON

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I guess part of me just never got out of the kid mindset of Lego kits are meant to be built once, then torn apart and but into a large bin when I will then use them to build my own kits.

Sure, I could put a sticker on. But what if I want to make a rad submarine? Why does it say NASA then, huh?

Uh, speaking of. If I wanted to sort out my old Legos and see what sets I have, and advice? Are the instruction manuals available online? Any good way to look up online sets and see what jogs my memory?

In that universe NASA now has a submarine. :P

National
    Aquatic
    Submersible
    Association

It still works.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Went to a Lego store this weekend which is a big deal since we don't have any in Maine. We finally caved and bought the bonsai tree so I'm pretty excited to put that together.

We also recently picked up the tree house with the giraffe. Are there any other sets folks know of that would be similar to that if we wanted to do a little safari style shelf?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I wouldn't let that deter you, the stickers are totally optional. We've got quite a few forumers in the SE++ thread that never use them. Pick a recent High Grade kit you like and go to town!

Nooooooooo

(It's also space, cost and time, so I'll be resisting for a bit longer)

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Went to a Lego store this weekend which is a big deal since we don't have any in Maine. We finally caved and bought the bonsai tree so I'm pretty excited to put that together.

We also recently picked up the tree house with the giraffe. Are there any other sets folks know of that would be similar to that if we wanted to do a little safari style shelf?

They're coming out with a bunch of safari type sets on August 1.
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/search?q=wildlife

I also recommend this set since the guy in the log is hilarious!
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/safari-off-roader-60267

I think I got that set on sale at Target or Walmart so I would check there.
    Heffling wrote: »

Nooooooooo

(It's also space, cost and time, so I'll be resisting for a bit longer)

You should go lurk the Gunpla thread so you can live vicariously through everybody. Also tempt you to buy a small kit.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Isn't that half the reason I post in any of the threads I do? :D

Anyways. Yesterday's progress on the Haunted House ride was the braking system and most of the "second" level. The standout piece, though, was the pipe organ. It's absolutely genius how it goes together, and the fact you can pull it out to admire it is sublime. Everyone at our saturday dinner was impressed.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Oh no, that's a lot of safari! I might need to hide the wallets in August.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I've been building Daigon Alley and holy cow the app for the manuals on an iPad is so good. I had no idea.

Just scan the qr code on the front of the manual and you have it right there, with the ability to zoom in and check stuff out.

I wish I tried this sooner, it rules.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Isn't that half the reason I post in any of the threads I do? :D

Anyways. Yesterday's progress on the Haunted House ride was the braking system and most of the "second" level. The standout piece, though, was the pipe organ. It's absolutely genius how it goes together, and the fact you can pull it out to admire it is sublime. Everyone at our saturday dinner was impressed.

We love that set and we like to show it off when we have people over (covid-permitting)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Sorry 😐 I blame the scalpies

• Options

Qrz3tbS.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLcH8Rum5wA
    400,000 LEGO Technic pieces. 8660 hours. One incredible build.

Following the breath-taking launch of the 1:8 scale model, the life-size LEGO Technic Lamborghini Sián FKP37 has been given its own show-stopping moment deserving of the super sports car.

In a new first-of-its-kind virtual unveiling from the LEGO Group, the full-scale model has been rebuilt in a virtual LEGO workshop to give supercar fans and LEGO lovers the chance to get up close and personal with the immense model, while ensuring the safety of fans around the world.

The resulting experience is packed with suspense and emotion, making viewers’ dreams come true by giving them the chance to see complete details of the 1:8 scale model before they are ‘transformed’ along with the model into the full-scale replica revealed today.

The experience lets viewers explore this feat of design excellence in their own time; they can see inside the world of supercars and hear from the talented Automobili Lamborghini and LEGO Group designers who made this model a reality.

• Options
    I... I think that might weigh more than the actual car.

• Options
    i actually can't find numbers on the Sian's weight, but yeah I'm guessing it would be around the same as the Aventador, which is 1625 kg

unlike the life size lego bugatti chiron from a few years back, I don't believe this one actually drives, nor do the doors seem to open

fun project though!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I ordered the Apollo rocket

god damn

You're in for such a treat. Easily my favorite build/piece of all time.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I can get behind this trend of "Build for real" art pieces. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Brolo wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p71ltZ_qH0
    LEGO® Builder’s Journey is an aesthetic and atmospheric geometric puzzle game set in a completely LEGO Brick-based environment. Puzzle your way through each stage, building brick-by-brick, to progress and discover the game’s charming story as you go.

On June 22nd, LEGO Builder’s Journey comes to life on PC enhanced with ray-traced Ambient Occlusion, Global Illumination, Reflections, and Shadows. And it’ll be accelerated by NVIDIA DLSS.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1544360/LEGO_Builders_Journey/

RTX ON

That games was already very very pretty on iOS (it's another of the ones from Apple Arcade that are now making their way elsewhere), so raytracing ought to be pretty ridiculous.

(edit: okay, now I've watched the video, yeah, this is just silly)

djmitchella on
  • Options
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Huh. I though I’d had a bouquet on backorder when it last went up but I guess not. Well. Ordered now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    FINALLY I've been able to get the bouquet. So here is the question, do I build it and present it in a vase to my wife, or do I let her build it? I think this is one I build and present to her all fancy like, maybe with some chocolates.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    FINALLY I've been able to get the bouquet. So here is the question, do I build it and present it in a vase to my wife, or do I let her build it? I think this is one I build and present to her all fancy like, maybe with some chocolates.

Does your wife build Lego on the regular? My wife didn't and I used the Bouquet as a gateway drug. She read every page of the instructions and delighted in telling me how this piece was originally the hood of a car etc etc.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Does your wife build Lego on the regular? My wife didn't and I used the Bouquet as a gateway drug. She read every page of the instructions and delighted in telling me how this piece was originally the hood of a car etc etc.

My wife is a LEGO nut. Christmas 2018 was the Big 7k piece millennium Falcon.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hrm, tried redeeming a VIP $50 off discount code just now, says it wasn't valid. That's... annoying. I did cash it in / request it a couple weeks ago, and didn't try to use it til now - do they expire?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Buy two. Build one, wrap the other. Can't have too many flowers.

• Options
    Hrm, tried redeeming a VIP $50 off discount code just now, says it wasn't valid. That's... annoying. I did cash it in / request it a couple weeks ago, and didn't try to use it til now - do they expire?

Did you get it for online or for in store use? I ran into an issue where I got confused and got an in store redemption accidentally. The customer service reps helped set things right.

• Options

you don't put it in the first section under special offers, its during the payment screen where there is a section for VIP codes. I literally just had the same issue.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Let her build it, but get the chocolate anyway. Oh and maybe a nice vase to put them in when she's done.

• Options

I say you build a Lego vase and present it with the chocolates and bouquet set for her to build.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

I say you build a Lego vase and present it with the chocolates and bouquet set for her to build.

TstBkT6.jpg
    text:
    Illustrator and designer Akihiro Mizuuchi designed a modular system for creating edible chocolate LEGO bricks. Chocolate is first poured into precisely designed moulds that after cooling can be popped out and used as regular LEGOs. It’s hard to determine exactly how functional they are, it seems like he had success in building a number of different things, though I can only imagine how quickly they might melt in your hands, but I suppose that’s beside the point; this is two of the greatest things in the world fused together. If you google around there are numerous attempts at creating various forms of LEGO in chocolate or other food, but this appears to be the most detailed and well-designed of anything out there. (via Legosaurus)

EAD4PFj.jpg

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/08/functional-chocolate-legos-by-akihiro-mizuuchi/

• Options
    edited June 2021
    A ChocolACGuy, nice.

3nd9xqht6913.jpg

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, the next Ideas set looks to be a "working" (functioning keys, hammers, and carriage) typewriter model that looks really nice.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

GlMwZjP.jpg
    LEGO has officially announced the newest LEGO Ideas set with the Typewriter (21327). Releasing on June 16 for VIPs, the set has 2,079 pieces and will retail for $199.99. The set imitates the style of a typewriter where it features a center typebar that rises each time a letter is pressed that is also linked to a carriage that moves across as you type. There’s even a platen roller that paper can be fed into. In addition, each set comes with a signed letter from The LEGO Group chairman, Thomas Kirk Kristiansen. While VIPs can get their hands on the Typewriter starting next week, the general release for it is on July 1.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-typewriter-21327-officially-announced/

• Options
    Do I really buy a Lego typewriter with the money I was going to spend on an actual keyboard..?

• Options
    Do I really buy a Lego typewriter with the money I was going to spend on an actual keyboard..?

Buy it and use those keycaps on your actual keyboard. :D

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Make it into a working keyboard.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Make it into a working keyboard.

I need the number row

Eh, I'll just buy both - who needs food?

This discussion has been closed.