As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

seriously, though, what is a [movie]

3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheeseRegistered User regular
i don't understand and i'm scared

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    a miserable little pile of scenes

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yesterday on Shudder premiered The Amusement Park

In 1973 the Lutheran Society commissioned an age discrimination PSA film. To do this, they hired George A Romero! He proceeded to make a 50 minute piece about an old man going to a life-like amusement park where all the rides seem specifically designed to taunt, intimidate, extort and/or terrorize elderly goers. The Lutherans thought this went too far (why else would you hire Romero then?!), so they nixed it from release. It basically sat in a bin from that point on until shortly before Romero died when he showed it to someone from the Turin Film Festival, and then they played it for his wife

After his death his wife started the George A Romero Foundation and made restoration of the film priority 1. After two years, a plague, and a very limited theatrical release from last month, The Amusement Park finally is available for fans to watch and to stream exclusively on Shudder

As with most older Romero works, this holds up surprisingly well! An overloading of sensations between the camerawork, soundtrack and pacing that increases the uncomfortableness of the experience, it's basically a Romero-directed Twilight Zone episode, including opening and closing narration from the star (Lincoln Maazel, whose only other role was in Martin, another Romero film)

For historical purposes, this is necessary; pre-2019 few knew The Amusement Park even existed, let alone realistically hoped it'd be released. For Romero fans, they won't be disappointed; despite lacking (much) blood, this still feels pretty tense throughout most of the runtime and stands side-by-side with the best of his early work in that department

I keep thinking of a Letterboxd review I saw, so I'll close this recommendation with that: "Stare long enough at capitalism (or mortality) and you'll see either a horror movie or a sick joke. Romero, of course, sees both."

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I got real excited for a minute that Fast 9 was out this week and then realized I was like 2 weeks off

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    SERIOUSLY

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Seriously Dude, Where's My Car?

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Theatres open tomorrow in Alberta, and they just built a brand spankin new VIP or whatever class Landmark near me, with the leather seats and everything. Still gonna wait til I get double vaxxed and the rest of the province catches up, so hopefully in a few months I will finally discover what it is about these moving pictures.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Hey, in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II Secret of the Ooze, when Shredder drinks the entire vial of mutagen, then is hit by a powered guitar riff from an amp and launched into the bay, and he returns as Super Shredder, where did he get a new outfit?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That was specifically the guitar's contribution

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Hi new thread

I am here to report that I just completed another watch of Fright Night (2011) and it still fucking bangs.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just watched Hereditary for the first time with little to no prior knowledge, and four hours later I still can't sleep because I feel like I've been hit by a truck
    The movie does an incredible job of simultaneously setting everything up while also keeping a first-time viewer on their toes with regards to expectations

The only criticism I have is, I wish the movie gave the book pages on Paimon and a couple of other brief but important textual details like, a quarter second longer to sink in - especially so for the fact that Paimon is frequently pictured carrying three heads, which I totally missed up until looking his mythos up after the film

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My local cinema I would walk to is being demolished. They have another branch on the edge of town but it's still sad.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    a miserable little pile of scenes, sets, and people trying to tell the truth

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    nothing much whats a movie with you

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    nothing much whats a movie with you

Hi movie I’m dad

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My partner and I watched Fast Five

What an amazingly stupid movie

We'll probably watch Fast Six this Friday

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yesterday on Shudder premiered The Amusement Park

In 1973 the Lutheran Society commissioned an age discrimination PSA film. To do this, they hired George A Romero! He proceeded to make a 50 minute piece about an old man going to a life-like amusement park where all the rides seem specifically designed to taunt, intimidate, extort and/or terrorize elderly goers. The Lutherans thought this went too far (why else would you hire Romero then?!), so they nixed it from release. It basically sat in a bin from that point on until shortly before Romero died when he showed it to someone from the Turin Film Festival, and then they played it for his wife

After his death his wife started the George A Romero Foundation and made restoration of the film priority 1. After two years, a plague, and a very limited theatrical release from last month, The Amusement Park finally is available for fans to watch and to stream exclusively on Shudder

As with most older Romero works, this holds up surprisingly well! An overloading of sensations between the camerawork, soundtrack and pacing that increases the uncomfortableness of the experience, it's basically a Romero-directed Twilight Zone episode, including opening and closing narration from the star (Lincoln Maazel, whose only other role was in Martin, another Romero film)

For historical purposes, this is necessary; pre-2019 few knew The Amusement Park even existed, let alone realistically hoped it'd be released. For Romero fans, they won't be disappointed; despite lacking (much) blood, this still feels pretty tense throughout most of the runtime and stands side-by-side with the best of his early work in that department

I keep thinking of a Letterboxd review I saw, so I'll close this recommendation with that: "Stare long enough at capitalism (or mortality) and you'll see either a horror movie or a sick joke. Romero, of course, sees both."

Oh yeah! I forgot this was coming out!!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    what gets me about the amusement park is that spooky movies set at an amusement park were kind of the lutheran church's thing for a while and i need to know if more exist so i can make the.most niche power ranking imaginable

here is stalked, from 1969

https://youtu.be/5nmmHvkTQzM

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

5 is probably the least stupid of the New Testament section of fast and furious canon, tho still the best

Prohass on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Youtube just showed me a five-second clip for a sequel to the Hitman's Bodyguard that's apparently releasing soon.

My wife and I know we watched the first one, but we cannot recall a signal thing about it other than Samuel L. Jackson was the hitman and Ryan Reynolds was the bodyguard.

We can remember more about RIPD than we can about this movie.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    is it possible to subscribe to hbo max for just a month and cancel?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yep, did just that earlier this year.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

5 is probably the least stupid of the New Testament section of fast and furious canon, tho still the best

Our group really liked 6. I think because we expected 5 to be the one to go off the rails completely and it let us down a bit in that regard. 6 delivered the extreme shark jumping. 7 was almost too stupid. We'll probably watch 8 this weekend.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

that's horrible, shame on you, think of the poor executives

also how hard was it to do how hidden in the cancel button

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I wanna say it was relatively simple, account->subscription->cancel or something along those lines (and being monthly I was able to do it well in advance and keep using it till it expired).

And if the execs wanted me to stay on for another month they shoulda put another Godzilla movie the next month!

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Fast Five really builds up to the fight between The Rock and Vin Diesel perfectly.

It was such a hyped moment watching that in the theatre.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I thiiiiiink HBO Max might be my favorite of the streamers, currently?

Great catalog, interesting slate of originals. The app (especially on PS5) is buggy as shit, but it's the only streamer I use daily. Which I really didn't see coming.

• Options
    ya got fran, friends, and the fresh prince

what else you need??

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my only problem with it is how incredibly buggy it is (at least on my Samsung TV)

But it easily has some of the best movie selection for like, if I have no idea what I want to watch

• Options
    edited June 2021
    the only reason i don't use it more is because of how buggy it is, yeah

also because i bought too much media on dvd lately so i haven't really used any streamers

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

I wanna say it was relatively simple, account->subscription->cancel or something along those lines (and being monthly I was able to do it well in advance and keep using it till it expired).

And if the execs wanted me to stay on for another month they shoulda put another Godzilla movie the next month!

The best way I've found to keep streaming services in line is to buy a gift card for the amount of one month and use that to subscribe

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    For older TV my favorite streaming platform is Hulu

For movies my favorite streaming platform is HBO-Max

For everything though my favorite streaming platform is Tubi

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    the only reason i don't use it more is because of how buggy it is, yeah

also because i bought too much media on dvd lately so i haven't really used any streamers

I agreed with this and then realized about 10 seconds later that I've watched two movies on Midnight Pulp in the last week.

Overall I'm mostly working my way through the insane number of movies I've bought on disc over the last year. When I do watch something on a streaming service it's usually Shudder, or lately Midnight Pulp. But HBO Max is surprisingly good and the best of the major streaming services for movies.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I thiiiiiink HBO Max might be my favorite of the streamers, currently?

Great catalog, interesting slate of originals. The app (especially on PS5) is buggy as shit, but it's the only streamer I use daily. Which I really didn't see coming.

what, you don't like it soft crashing every time you pause for more than 5 seconds? or when you try to rewind a little bit? or when you click play on something??

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    ya got fran, friends, and the fresh prince

what else you need??

Why, Everwood and Gossip Girl, of course!

Speaking of, I peeped the trailer for the new Gossip Girl. It seems like it's gonna try to be good, which feels like a mistake. But the usage of Frank Ocean's "Super Rich Kids" was very, very choice.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    every outfit fran wears on the nanny is amazing and i want to steal her wardrobe

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular

The only problem I had was there's no option to cancel on the app. You have to login to their website and go into account info. Which isn't awful but was a little aggravating

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Last time I used the HBOMax app it's biggest problem was it didn't have any categories for movies. You either pick something off the curated front page or you scroll through the entire catalog alphabetically.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Youtube just showed me a five-second clip for a sequel to the Hitman's Bodyguard that's apparently releasing soon.

My wife and I know we watched the first one, but we cannot recall a signal thing about it other than Samuel L. Jackson was the hitman and Ryan Reynolds was the bodyguard.

We can remember more about RIPD than we can about this movie.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Variety wrote:
    ‘Lord of the Rings’ Anime Feature Fast-Tracked by New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Animation
    (Variety is an industry publication)

Can't wait for bishie wormtounge.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Having just gotten a trailer for something on Twitter, I feel compelled to ask: are there any good Apple originals? Because whether TV or movies I never hear anyone talk about them ever, which tells me either no one subscribes to Apple+ (which I believe) or that they’re all mediocre or bad

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.