As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Overwatch 2 is Live!

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The new Widow skin is good but it also makes her look like she's going as "sexy Reaper" for Halloween

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i feel like its called angel of death and is her cosplaying malthael

another diablo 3 skin how dare they

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    ... Aren't there actually console-specific balancing differences that they do to compensate against controller aim/KBAM controls?

Not really.

Except for like that one change with Ana to make it slightly easier to hit friendly targets the console/PC changes are mostly the same.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i remember they nerfed torb's turret damage on console pretty early on, dunno what that's like now

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I believe they reverted it back when he was reworked.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I wonder how bad the playerbase has fallen off to push this through before OW2.

At least it seems like PS/Xbox will be seamless, but I've heard Switch players are on the lowest level compared to the bigger consoles.

That's a weird take, there's going to be crossplay between OW1 and OW2 anyway. So if they're working on this system they may as well put it out well in advance to iron out any kinks.

Crossplay is something that's nice to have for PS/Xbox mainly, but there's many other things to work on before that, and the way it looks now, that PC players can't opt out of crossplay, and aim assist is disabled for console players in crossplay, not to mention the benefits of 120+hz vs 60 (or 30 for Switch), it sure feels like they just needed fodder for queue times for PC.

But on a good note, the new Widowmaker skin is great, simple but clean and leans hard into Widow being femme fatale.

PS/XBox/Switch players all get to share a central playerbase now, that's a pretty big improvement to their quality of matchmaking that justifies the work on the feature regardless. Besides it seems to be part of the global Battle.net initiative which is a separate team. PC/console crossplay seems like more of an afterthought in comparison to that, they added it so friends could play together in QP but they seem to be doing their best to discourage console players by disabling auto-aim which is a mistake IMO.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I like these new skins. Bap, in particular.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    I am literally buying OW2 for the skins.

The PvE is like a bonus.

• Options
    I don't see myself using the default skins any more than I do today, I'd rather keep using my legendary skins even if they are lower poly count or something. It's weird they didn't have something more substantive if they were going to appear on summer games fest.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Did they mention if they are going to allow a random option for tagged favorites?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Came across this in an actual Okcupid profile.

Wish there was a "marry me" button.

lup0amejo04i.jpg

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    No limits match on Oasis. We had split the first two rounds and for the third we went 1 Rein and 5 Mercies (?), with me as the sole Rein. Most fun I've had in Overwatch in like three years, resulting in a win. For your viewing pleasure, I submit four minutes of large man swinging a hammer with 5 women beaming yellow and blue energy to him:

https://youtu.be/LYqxXfJJGTw

Moments of interest:

~1:00: Worst shatter of my life
    ~1:35: Life-saving and possibly match saving charge
    ~2:10: Just some good use of voicelines
    ~3:00: Excellent voiceline usage to show the enemy Reinhardt who's the alpha
    ~3:30: Second-worst shatter of my life
    ~3:50: I was already kneeling, Ana. No need for the sleep.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of Zen lately, and killing a lot of Reapers, Brigs and Genjis out of their ults so I figured why not set it to music?

https://youtu.be/gTj8xNnquaY

Happy Friday everybody.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Ashe challenge for the next two weeks, pretty eh Deadlock skin. Ashe with a red jacket.

But they introduced Cross-play with the below patch, McCree and Moira are still allowed to run broken for at least another two weeks.

The changes below are gonna see Torb and Symmetra shoot up on console and Ana's needed nerf will just be switched out for EZ mode Moira.

HERO UPDATES

General

With the introduction of Cross-Play, we are bringing balance between platforms to be in parity with one another. These changes are labeled as Parity Adjustments and apply to all matches
    (Parity Adjustment) Enemy AI in Archives no longer do less damage on console platforms

Ana

Biotic Rifle

(Parity Adjustment) Darts no longer have increased projectile size on console platforms

Ashe

B.O.B.

(Parity Adjustment) No longer does less damage on console platforms

Symmetra

Sentry Turret

(Parity Adjustment) No longer deals less damage on console platforms

Torbjörn

Deploy Turret

(Parity Adjustment) No longer does less damage on console platforms

• Options
    To disable racist, sexist, toxic text scroll thanks to this latest update on console, (gosh thanks, Aaron) once you're in a game go to social, then groups, then check each little text bubble next to each team.

It may also squelch ult callouts I'm not sure, but so far for me I only had to select it once and it's persisted across a few games now.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Oof. If you look at the replies to those tweets, Blizzard officially saying that it's intentional for matchmaking. If you're high or low ranked, and/or play at low population times, you'll be automatically shunted to distant servers to enjoy 100+ ping games.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Crossplay was horribly thought out.

I thought Battlenet was optional for consoles and we had a choice to opt in to cross-play but that's a lie, I had to create a Battlenet account to sync up. That's kind of the whole reason I try and play on console, so I don't have to keep doing all these accounts for other companies and have different services. And you also only see their battlenet name now, not their Xbox tag.

Including text chat on console is one of the dumbest things they could do, especially with no simple option to turn it off except going through the match but that turns it all off on Xbox. And you still get chat before and after the match, and I've seen people "shouting" when I'm on the title screen somehow because the chat keeps running there.

Turning off aim assist was an even stupider decision. Here's what it looks like right now on Xbox, attack on Junkertown:

4BkzLQE.jpg

You can tell by the little icons, our team was 6 Xbox normies, the other team had 1. 1. They were a Zenyatta just throwing orbs on his team. The other were PC, probably a stack too but we're not blessed enough to see that anymore going by how coordinated and accurate their McCree and Ashe were with mouse flick killcam replays. We peasants had no aim assist, they had KBAM, and they toyed with us the whole game at the opening gate. That's not fair, that's not fun. We were able to get a push going only by going to little to no accuracy burst characters like Junkrat and Reaper, but they just countered by spamming Torb turret and broken Baptiste with his accurate burst fire. So in order to just stand some chance, console have to give up about half the roster and we're still not on the same level.

There's a difference between balance changes you agree/disagree on and introducing fucked up changes that feel like they didn't even check how it would affect consoles. I have to keep crossplay on if I want to play with PS owners, I can't just opt for console only crossplay to save the issues of magically having no aim assist that I've been used to for five years. And now I get to play KBAM broken McCree's and Ashe's on top of the Hammonds and Genjis.

So I'm opting out (which is needlessly complicated on Xbox and can't be done through the Overwatch menu) until they decide to change some things, if they even try. You'll never be able to convince me console players weren't fodder if this was what they thought was the first impression to show.

edit: I'm seeing in the FAQ they're saying that you will not be paired against PC unless you group with a PC player, but having played a few games and watched the killcams I doubt that's true in this current state, not with how fast people typed in the chat and not with the killcams being watched unless PS has 50% KBAM.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    That's the one silver lining, for me. My Batlle Net tag is Chance. Just Chance.

My PSN ID could never be just the word so it's really neat to finally see.

Chance on
  • Options
    PS definitely has mouse players but they're rare at mid-SR. For QP I was definitely cross playing without asking for it first. Had to go in and turn it off and matches are still quick.

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Oof. If you look at the replies to those tweets, Blizzard officially saying that it's intentional for matchmaking. If you're high or low ranked, and/or play at low population times, you'll be automatically shunted to distant servers to enjoy 100+ ping games.

They said that the matchmaker does the best it can to give you overall quality games (skill matched and good ping). Playing in another region is an option now when it wasn't before, but it's not like you'll always be placed there if you're playing off-peak hours, only if the game can't find local players at the right skill level.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i get that people want the perfect system but i'm not sure that's possible. Did taking away people's ability to choose a region suck? Probably? On the other hand, playing with people that have 500ms + ping kind of sucks as well. The worst suckage really is sitting around waiting for a game though and solving that problem probably lead them to this decision for good or bad. I hate that i sound like i'm defending blizzard but from a technical solution, it probably was a lot less work to have a global change to everyone than it was to allow people to restrict their connection pool.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Funny thing is Fortnite also has crossplay but it at least let's you use KB/M on console. In OW you still can't unless you buy one of those cheat devices.

And the from what I understand KB/M console users are instantly paired with PC users.

Which sounds way better than whatever Blizzard just did.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yeah, queue time was just horrible and you still seem to get the screw console adjustments even if you turn off cross play.

This may have just killed Overwatch for me.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Funny thing is Fortnite also has crossplay but it at least let's you use KB/M on console. In OW you still can't unless you buy one of those cheat devices.

And the from what I understand KB/M console users are instantly paired with PC users.

Which sounds way better than whatever Blizzard just did.

I'm curious how generous the aim assist is. Paladins just leaves aim assist on for crossplay, but because it's shittily coded, there's a sweet spot at midrange where it's almost like having permanent aimbot, but totally useless at close and long. I still opted the fuck out after being ridiculously lasered a few too many times and it was like the meta instantly changed and I stopped seeing those heroes constantly.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    This is pretty anecdotal of course but OW honestly has some of the weaker AA I've used in a shooter.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Yeah, queue time was just horrible and you still seem to get the screw console adjustments even if you turn off cross play.

Idk if it's killed it, but fighting a smurf pc mccree named iAmGM wasn't fun.

And the aim assist wasn't much, admittedly, but it's pretty hard to unlearn 5 years of muscle memory at 96 sensitivity.

This kinda sucks for console players a lot. I feel like we're just being shoveled in to fill gaps in PC players' games at the total expense of our experience.

Kinda sucks a lot.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    it kind of sucks too because i might get paired with all pc against a mix of pc and console or vice versa. One team is going to have a clear advantage :(

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    being unable to choose ur region seriously sucks

its really poorly thought out and i hope they change it
    Chance wrote: »

Idk if it's killed it, but fighting a smurf pc mccree named iAmGM wasn't fun.

And the aim assist wasn't much, admittedly, but it's pretty hard to unlearn 5 years of muscle memory at 96 sensitivity.

This kinda sucks for console players a lot. I feel like we're just being shoveled in to fill gaps in PC players' games at the total expense of our experience.

Kinda sucks a lot.

playing zero aim assist controller vs pc players is just ridiculous and while i know why they did it its insanely unfair

whats weird is that im pretty sure controller on pc has always had zero aim assist. i assume theres some structural reason why they wanted to ensure there was no way to get any level of aim assist at all on pc eg people spoofing being on controller while using a mouse for the bonus but it seems tragic that they simply toss console players to the sharks in qp. then to rub salt in the wounds bob and torb turret are back to being cracked on console comp...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Having my sensitivity on console between 75-80 based on the hero, the lack of aim assist is removing that end of movement with the sticks, it sort of applies the brakes just enough to shoot with projectile/hitscan heroes.

But the Torb/Sym turret damage is just staggeringly bad and they should have kept the damage at console level but tried to tweak other aspects of the heroes. If you're playing defend on console now and need to hold the enemy, switch to Sym and Torb and you'll get 30-60 seconds free hold. I always heard Symmetra was high picked on Switch because of the turrets being hard to attack because the joycons are not conducive to quick movement, and PC players have been mentioning how sad it is to bully Switch players with Tracer because they can't turn and respond at all.

• Options
    The thing is we're not supposed to even GET aim assist removed unless we're grouped with a PC player and thus cross playing with PC (because while it was okay to Blizzard to have console players get the shit kicked out of them by mouse users on console for the last five years, they could never let their PC base suffer in the same way!)

Instead, I'm soloing and the feel of the game has massively changed. What's weird is it feels normal in pre-game deathmatches, but as soon as a game starts I'm a potato.

• Options
    New experiment up.
    HERO UPDATES (ONLY IN EXPERIMENTAL)

General

Hitscan damage now scales to 30% at maximum falloff range, down from 50% for the following heroes:
    Ashe
    Baptiste
    Bastion
    McCree
    Soldier: 76
    Widowmaker
    Wrecking Ball

Developer Comments: This change may be difficult to notice immediately as it scales damage over a range slightly more than before, but it will lower the impact of hitscan damage outside of their intended optimal ranges.

Bastion

Configuration: Recon

Weapon spread reduced from 1.5 to 1.2

Developer Comments: We’re making Bastion’s Configuration: Recon weapon more reliable to help strengthen his run-and-gun gameplay when moving between spots he wants to post up with Configuration: Sentry.

D.Va

Call Mech

Damage area reduced from 3 to 2.5 meters
    No longer builds ultimate charge while using Self Destruct until after her mech detonates

Developer Comments: No longer building ultimate charge in the window of time between using Self Destruct and when it detonates is targeted at Echo’s Duplicate ability when copying D.Va. Echo’s accelerated ultimate charge enabled her to have Call Mech available before the Self Destruct explosion went off, making it very difficult for enemies to find a safe place to hide.

Heavy Pulse Rifle

Damage falloff is disabled while Tactical Visor is active

Developer Comments: This will make Tactical Visor effective for more than just the aim assist, which slightly loses some value as player aim improves.

Widowmaker

Widow’s Kiss

Damage falloff range increased from 60-85 to 70-100 meters

Developer Comments: We’re adjusting Widowmaker’s optimal range to be slightly further out to account for some map locations where counter-sniping was common but just barely outside of the effective range with the damage falloff. For Widowmaker, the sniping damage falloff is mainly in place to restrict the lethality of mid-air grapple shots at the extreme distances possible on some maps.

That falloff nerf should work only if they drop down the healing too, but they're still the dominant class. Also F for the heroes who had to be culled because they just won't revert McCree's health or ROF.

They literally don't know what to do with Bastion anymore, their response to every spray and pray is to reduce spread and it's terrible. They'll probably give him twice the ammo in recon in the next patch and make him walk faster too.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I am at 9 and 1 right now >.< feels bad.

edit: wait. 1 and 9. the bad one.

Edit edit: Turned off crossplay, turned it around.
    5xd80ga6l6i2.jpg
    iv2r9ybslj69.jpg

Chance on
  • Options
    New experiment up.
    HERO UPDATES (ONLY IN EXPERIMENTAL)

General

Hitscan damage now scales to 30% at maximum falloff range, down from 50% for the following heroes:
    Ashe
    Baptiste
    Bastion
    McCree
    Widowmaker
    Wrecking Ball

Developer Comments: This change may be difficult to notice immediately as it scales damage over a range slightly more than before, but it will lower the impact of hitscan damage outside of their intended optimal ranges.

Bastion

Configuration: Recon

Weapon spread reduced from 1.5 to 1.2

Developer Comments: We’re making Bastion’s Configuration: Recon weapon more reliable to help strengthen his run-and-gun gameplay when moving between spots he wants to post up with Configuration: Sentry.

D.Va

Call Mech

Damage area reduced from 3 to 2.5 meters
    No longer builds ultimate charge while using Self Destruct until after her mech detonates

Developer Comments: No longer building ultimate charge in the window of time between using Self Destruct and when it detonates is targeted at Echo’s Duplicate ability when copying D.Va. Echo’s accelerated ultimate charge enabled her to have Call Mech available before the Self Destruct explosion went off, making it very difficult for enemies to find a safe place to hide.

Heavy Pulse Rifle

Damage falloff is disabled while Tactical Visor is active

Developer Comments: This will make Tactical Visor effective for more than just the aim assist, which slightly loses some value as player aim improves.

Widowmaker

Widow’s Kiss

Damage falloff range increased from 60-85 to 70-100 meters

Developer Comments: We’re adjusting Widowmaker’s optimal range to be slightly further out to account for some map locations where counter-sniping was common but just barely outside of the effective range with the damage falloff. For Widowmaker, the sniping damage falloff is mainly in place to restrict the lethality of mid-air grapple shots at the extreme distances possible on some maps.

That falloff nerf should work only if they drop down the healing too, but they're still the dominant class. Also F for the heroes who had to be culled because they just won't revert McCree's health or ROF.

They literally don't know what to do with Bastion anymore, their response to every spray and pray is to reduce spread and it's terrible. They'll probably give him twice the ammo in recon in the next patch and make him walk faster too.

Bastion is being reworked in OW2 to allow him to move while in sentry mode. They'll probably hold that change for OW2 and so this is just some low effort balance work in the meantime. The same is true for a number of other characters.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I found a leaked image of OW2 Bastion

600px-Heavybot_blu.png

Pretty excited tbh

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Some heroes can deflect or eat enemy ultimates. Others get ultimates tossed at them like candy.

https://youtu.be/NbtaumD3EH0

What is value? lol

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got back into this game for the past two months or so. I finally gave Winston a fair shake and I kind of found a groove. He depends a LOT on your team capitalizing on the space you make by jamming up their backline and with your ult, so even when I feel like I'm doing well individually, my effectiveness is hit or miss in quickplay.

Anyway, I'm finding it pretty fun, even if I have to switch to Rein or Orisa when the other side has a decent Reaper that our DPS can't keep up with.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Edit: this is not the PS5 thread.

So I'll say I've been put up against a Grandmaster McCree named Karma in QP like all week and I beat him once, but I'm barely out of gold and getting a little tired of this shit.

Also last night I was harrying a Mercy and she flew over my head past me, I blinked backwards twice, putting her in front of me again and killed her, then flung my pulse bomb in a big Kobe into the path of a charging Rein and it was awesome.

Chance on
  • Options
    My brother will often send me music. After a few of these I began to make certain never to watch or listen to them in public because it was either some pretty raunchy stuff or had a lot of bikini babes or was like Die Antwood stuff.

So this week he sends me a song because it contains the original sample for the beat from My Name Is... with Eminem. It's this old big band leader and singer from the 70s named Labi Siffre, and when Dr. Dre was a little kid, this was the music his Mom would blast around the house. That beat comes from the second part of a 2-part song called 'I Got The...'

So I turned it on and was like "oh my God." But I couldn't use the My Name Is beat - it's just too slow paced. Instead, there's the first 2 minutes of I Got The... and then, The Vulture, both off the album Remember My Song (1975).

https://youtu.be/tpwP73z0x94

Happy Friday everybody! It's nice to be playin' Tracer again after months of Ball and support flexing.

• Options
    The patch went through so bye bye McCree, hello Soldier. Supports still reign supreme.