As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I don't have a PS4 and getting a PS5 won't be a thing for some time. I just built a new computer and got really lucky to get a new GPU so that's where I'm gonna be. I agree that the playerbase on PS4/5 is gonna be much bigger and I really really hope they announce something about crossplay soon.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I feel like my defense is starting to get pretty okay, overall. I can still succumb to rush down from a good player, but I can generally withstand some pressure now.

My next skill I need to learn is how to apply pressure. I feel like my defense is getting to the point of being methodical and not just slapping buttons...but my offense is still very "bash forehead in to buttons". This is where I'm at with fighting games in general, not something Strive specific. I get the idea of having a game plan and executing it...and then I get in to a match and become a cave man.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That's normal. Sometimes having a gameplay is simply doing something enough times you don't have to think about it.

I haven't been seriously into a fighting game since...KI Gold? It's been awhile, and I'm absolutely sure I'm gonna be slapping buttons and missing inputs all over the place. It's all a necessary part of the learning process!

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I feel like my defense is starting to get pretty okay, overall. I can still succumb to rush down from a good player, but I can generally withstand some pressure now.

My next skill I need to learn is how to apply pressure. I feel like my defense is getting to the point of being methodical and not just slapping buttons...but my offense is still very "bash forehead in to buttons". This is where I'm at with fighting games in general, not something Strive specific. I get the idea of having a game plan and executing it...and then I get in to a match and become a cave man.

Can you get oki from just 2K > 2D > Charged Stun Edge? Sometimes it's helpful to go for super easy combos you can loop into favorable situations until you learn better conversions.

I'd check myself, but I'm not special enough for early access.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If he is playing Ky...yeah 2D and Throw both give you a charged stun edge.

Of course they can Invincible reversal but it's still really good.

Also I'm seeing I'm not using Foudre Arc nearly enough.

edited June 2021
    Yes, 2K/5K > 2D > 236H works as knockdown in to oki...I just need to get the timing right on the Charged Stun Edge as I think it requires a little delay (Dust Loop suggests it does).

e: I didn't know about Throw also opening CSE oki. I'll make a mental note of that. I just hate the throw input in GG. Can you macro it in Strive? I know older GG's you couldn't but Strive had added some other macros. I'll look when I hop on later.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    2d and Throw both guarantee hard knockdowns so yeah CSE works with both.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A friend of mine made a FB post asking what their MvC2 team(s) were. This was an excerpt of our conversation and I wondered if anyone else felt that way I do. Not just about MvC2, but fighting games in general.

Me: Chun-Li/Captain America/Colossus
    Unsurprisingly, I was terrible at MVC2. It was great for about 3-4 months until the Cyclops/Cable/Doom stuff started showing up on SRK and it started showing up in my local meta. Thankfully CVS1&2 showed up and I had fun at the arcades again.

Friend: Character optimization exists in all fighting games and there’s always a metaphorical crossroads that happens where you either continue or you don’t. MVC2’s meta was just an evolution of what works in VS games: Characters with viable/longer normals and better mobility/zoning capabilities and combo potential. MVC2 is still a good game—you just have know what you’re getting into.

Me: Yeah, I know. It's just that the game changed a lot from all the previous entries (XvsSF, MvSF, and MvC1). Those games had zoning, rushdown, and lots of infinite BS. When I started playing MVC2, I thought it would be more of that just with a bigger roster. But adding a third character, and more importantly, unlimited assists really changed the way the game played. Nobody saw that coming and the game turned into a very different beast from it's predecessors. That gameplay style turned out to be a lot of fun for most everyone, it just wasn't for me.

I think the other big change it made was becoming extremely technical and skill dependent. That's another department where I'm admittedly lacking. When you think of more traditional SF games, it's all about footsies, zoning, and creating an opening for a combo. I did a lot better in those environments since combos were like 3-4 hits tops. Once I had to start memorizing multi-hit strings and frame perfect set-ups, my skill ceiling got hit and I wasn't as competitive.

Those things are great for fighting games and for players that really want to put the time into learning them. I don't fault the players or the games for pushing those mechanics more. If I want the older game styles, there are plenty of older titles to play.

It just made me sad knowing I was getting left behind in something I enjoyed and was pretty good at. :( /oldmanrant

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I don't think I was ever good at fighting games, but while I still like newer stuff I agree with what you're saying at the end there, Dover.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    If it helps, it seems a lot of more recent fighting games are trying to tone down the complexity. Haven't played it yet but Guilty Gear Strive is meant to have a much stronger focus on the neutral game compared to the rest of the series, for instance.

I've been playing a lot of Tekken recently and as a terrible-to-mediocre player there are definitely elements of the game that I'd like to see tweaked to embrace simplicity. Why lock something as basic as proper movement behind skill execution? Why allow a single juggle to deal 50% or more of somebody's health and carry you across an entire map? It's probably going to sound like heresy to people more invested in the series or genre, but God damn, neither of those actually make for interesting gameplay.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Started slapping buttons in Strive last night. I didn't play the second beta, just had a busy weekend when it was active...but man it really does feel different than the first beta. I think my Xrd hands are getting in my way a little bit. I'm having trouble finding good combo routes with Ky. I know they changed the gatling system, but the combos seem a lot more cancel heavy now than they used to be...almost more street fighterish? It's not a bad or a good thing, just something I'm feeling in my hands.

i think thats a comment ive seen a reasonable amount - u gotta commit to slower buttons for bigger rewards which was one of the nominal goals of sf5

obF2Wuw.png
    edited June 2021
    I think in general it's kind of overstated the complexity of combos you have to learn to be decent at fighters. High level of course is different cause it's all about being optimal there.

I think that just happens to be where the majority of people put their energy(cause being able to do combos is probably the easiest marker of improvement in a fighting game but that's another conversation).

That said I have been playing fighting games forever so what I consider easy some folks might think is kind of complex.

Like when you say hard I'm thinking stuff like KoF and tight frame links. Which as was stated most games are moving away from.

Dragkonias on
    Yeah, frame links are the worst. I remember when SF4 came out, I had been out of competitive fighting games for several years. SF4 finally felt like 2.5D done right. It was a good time until I tried to really get into it. Like, opening the training mode and really learn some combos and links.

I could never hit anything that was a 1 or 2 frame link. I remember spending a work day off learning it and I had maybe a 10% execution rate. And then there was the whole MP+MK parry into dash into combo stuff. That stuff felt impossible. It reminded me of kara-throwing in SF3 or roll-cancelling in CVS2. Both felt needlessly complicated, which is understandable since they weren't meant to be actually in-game mechanics, but rather exploits in the system.

It's nice to hear those sorts of things are being moved away from. I came to peace with my love affair with fighting games ending. It was a good run and I got several years of enjoyment (and frustration) out of them. I just got older and unable to physically compete and mentally care. They got more complex and focused more on the core audience.

I can still pick up a controller and throw fireballs and uppercuts and beat any non-fighting game opponents. But that elite group of dedicated players will always crush me. It's fine. I cannot defeat Shen Long, so I do not stand a chance, so I went home and became a family man. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i feel like soul calibur and dead or alive are much more forgiving on complexity. you can do all kinds of flashy stuff just button mashing with friends. the 2d fighters are much less forgiving in that respect. tekken is tekken and has its own wall

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    That was the main draw for Soul Calibur for me. It is almost entirely a neutral game, and thus much more about mindgames.

There are mixups but they sit really close to the line of reactionary most of the time. Enough so that knowing a character usually allows you to be good at blocking their strings. Only issue is the game does start to become very turtley. They ended up iterating on it a lot to combat that but in the end it can still be a very defensive game.

Guilty Gear though always felt like the most friendly 2D fighter because it was so open with its combo systems. Almost everything gatlinged and the input windows were typically huge. Until you got into super high end combos, but the scaling on combos was for the most part going to cause the hardest combos to only provide a small damage increase. They just looked super nice. That is, until you get locked into blocking a ton and the scaling on damage disappears due to the guard guage.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I feel like a game of armed combat like Soul Calibur should be turtle-y, though. It goes with the kind of fighting it is supposed to be about.

IMHO SC should be a deliberately-paced game of careful positioning and trying to probe the opponents' defenses without over-extending yourself, until you find or create an opening and deliver a big chunk of damage in a brief exchange, then rinse & repeat.

The kind of combo gameplay typical of 2D fighters or Tekken feels way out of place when you're cleaving your opponent with a sword as big as they are.

Edit: although I have to admit, I always got a laugh in SC1 when I'd play Hwang and occasionally manage to bum-rush an opponent into a ring-out from the start of the match using his running vertically rotating sword combo, or his running kick sequence.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    SC has been moving away from being overly defensive for a while and I feel SC6 is probably the best balance so far.

The defensive mechanics are still powerful but you can get called out pretty hard.

Yeah I was mostly speaking of my time with Soul Calibur 2 since I kind of just timewarped to 6 at that point.

But the reason it never could 100% be a full turtle game was because of stepping and 8wr. Which is why I always found the game genius. The full 3D movement always meant you could break through any defense somehow.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    i feel like soul calibur and dead or alive are much more forgiving on complexity. you can do all kinds of flashy stuff just button mashing with friends. the 2d fighters are much less forgiving in that respect. tekken is tekken and has its own wall

I'm not an expert DOA player, but I feel like SC6 is great at scaling complexity. It works great at every level from button mashing all the way up to the kinds of "small calibur" at the pro level, where everyone is playing very tight, compact gameplans.

I've said this before, but I honestly think it's the best fighter of the last generation. It's just a shame that the netcode is so bad. 😔

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Guilty Gear Strive is out. :)

I like to joke that my favorite counter to a crouching LK in an Arc Systems Works game is to play something else. I play their story modes, try to get good online, then burn out in 3 months or less. Strive appears to be really accessible.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2021
    Watched Kizzykay work people with Ky last night on Tasty Steve's stream. I learned some things. Ky's 6P? Crazy good. 5k/2k linking in to hard knock down? Abusable. Ky's apparently winning move? Ride the Lightning. I never realized how much meter Ky builds, just haven't gotten my mental play to that space yet...but watching Kizzy, he was getting 3 RTL's a game, easy. And it's a nearly guaranteed wall break. He was building so much meter, just doing basic Ky things, that using one-touch RTL as a wall break reset was a real strategy.

I need to get my hands used to doing that RTL motion on Hitbox. It's a very, very strange motion that I can only really do right now if I actively think about it. Probably the only motion, outside of fully rotations, that I think might be easier with a stick over an all-buttons.

GnomeTank on
    Early wallbreak is the ticket to lots of meter.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    RIP.

The Taokaka dub was excellent.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I just got KI as a gift and finished installing it. Time to break out the old TE Fightstick and play vs some AI.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    Does anyone know where the Strive servers are physically located? I live in Texas so I’m trying to figure out if I’m better off on the east coast or west coast. It’s hard for me to tell based on the in game icons.

Jombalaya wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the Strive servers are physically located? I live in Texas so I’m trying to figure out if I’m better off on the east coast or west coast. It’s hard for me to tell based on the in game icons.

Strive is P2P so it doesn't have relay servers.

The region moreso affects matchmaking.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »

They've made the "go fuck yourself" character specials (not the technical name) in SC much, much easier to execute since 4 or 5 I think, both in terms of conditional requirements and actual execution. Like, to the point where a clumsy oaf like myself can do them.

It's easy to forget that until DOA5, DOA as a franchise did not have this class of move. DOA, since 2 onwards, was heavily defined by 1) arena positioning, which was crucially important on some stages 2) being absurdly fast and thus, having much narrower reversal windows than other fighting games in the same time and 3) making sure neither of those broke tag team mode (which is absent from DOA6).

On top of that, I could swear Tekken is much, much faster than it was in 5, but that could just be me misunderstanding it (DOA, and some SC characters, are actually slower).

Synthesis on
    The king Queen thus spoke

https://youtu.be/JEs942UtrFE

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Have you guys seen these numbers for Strive?

PC input lag numbers: average 1.19 frames

PS4 input lag numbers: average 5.18 frames

PS4 version on PS5 input lag numbers: average 5.42 frames

PS5 input lag numbers: average 6.08 frames

Im really curious about vsync on PC now.
    Or has anyone used a frame limiter on fighters before? I'd love to try gsync but I'd have to limit the game under 60fps (like 59.7 I think people do) but I can imagine some fighting games not liking that.

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    The lag difference makes me feel better about dropping combos whenever I switch to the PS4 version to play some of my friends, but damn. I'm really curious about what's going on with the numbers for PS5. Hard to figure why it's worse than PS4.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The lag difference makes me feel better about dropping combos whenever I switch to the PS4 version to play some of my friends, but damn. I'm really curious about what's going on with the numbers for PS5. Hard to figure why it's worse than PS4.

I would imagine it's simply because the PS5 version is the least developed (time-wise) version of the game. They were working on the PS4 version, making it run as good as possible on such old hardware (requiring programming it very close to the metal, in all likelihood), and then someone from publishing was all like "hey, we need a PS5 version too". But they didn't have time to do it properly, so they took the PS4 version and just slapped it onto the PS5. And while the PS5 is more powerful, it's not the native platform the game was designed for, so something was lost in translation and the game runs worse.

reVerse on
    reVerse wrote: »

I would imagine it's simply because the PS5 version is the least developed (time-wise) version of the game. They were working on the PS4 version, making it run as good as possible on such old hardware (requiring programming it very close to the metal, in all likelihood), and then someone from publishing was all like "hey, we need a PS5 version too". But they didn't have time to do it properly, so they took the PS4 version and just slapped it onto the PS5. And while the PS5 is more powerful, it's not the native platform the game was designed for, so something was lost in translation and the game runs worse.

To further complicate things, a survey of input latency across Xbox One and Xbox Series has shown you get different results on an Xbox Series console set to 120 hz even if the game (like the vast majority of them) has no such update and was designed for 60 hz (input latency is reduced, though by a very small amount). I imagine this is also true on PS5.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    a survey of input latency across Xbox One and Xbox Series has shown you get different results on an Xbox Series console set to 120 hz even if the game (like the vast majority of them) has no such update and was designed for 60 hz (input latency is reduced, though by a very small amount). I imagine this is also true on PS5.
    How does one force that for Strive on PS5?

Separately, more in general, for all that Strive did to make it more accessible, making the reversal window 3 frames is amusing to me. Like, everything is easier, EXCEPT REVERSALS.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    I am interested in dusting off my TE2+ and slapping some non-stock artwork on it. What are some good resources selling prints, artwork for the prints, or both?

Also, I love this damn stick.

I'm considering picking up a fightstick for use with GG Strive but don't have any idea where even to begin. I'm currently using an Xbox360 controller and it's...fine. It's fine. But there were a ton of times playing last night that I'm positive I was dropping inputs I shouldn't have been dropping.

edited July 2021
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    a survey of input latency across Xbox One and Xbox Series has shown you get different results on an Xbox Series console set to 120 hz even if the game (like the vast majority of them) has no such update and was designed for 60 hz (input latency is reduced, though by a very small amount). I imagine this is also true on PS5.
    How does one force that for Strive on PS5?

I have no idea. The video output settings on PSFro are, to be less generous, kind of stupid (at least from what I remember, this may've been updated). "Best performance." "Best visuals." They sound like they were pulled from any particular game, rather than the actual video configuration options.

Unfortunately, I think this is also true on PS5, but I'm less certain. On the Youtube channel HDTV Test, where they were looking at 120hz games on both systems, I think had to "trick" the PS5 into toggling 120hz in a 60hz game with some trickery (Xbox just has a 120hz setting in video options--when enabled, the console goes into 120hz video mode in the UI, but you still need to turn the feature on in the games itself).

Synthesis on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'm considering picking up a fightstick for use with GG Strive but don't have any idea where even to begin. I'm currently using an Xbox360 controller and it's...fine. It's fine. But there were a ton of times playing last night that I'm positive I was dropping inputs I shouldn't have been dropping.

I'm in the same boat of looking for a stick. I'm probably holding off on it at least for a month and if I stick with Strive I'll probably pull the trigger. I'm eyeing the Hori HRAP Hayabusa for Switch (mostly because I play on PC and also happen to own a Switch, and it's slightly cheaper than the PS5/XBox versions.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I am interested in dusting off my TE2+ and slapping some non-stock artwork on it. What are some good resources selling prints, artwork for the prints, or both?

Also, I love this damn stick.
    Focus attack has all the resources you seek except an artist. I posted in my local FGC Facebook group (Philly FGC) and had several dudes come forward. Also had someone in the old SRK forums whip something up.
    But if you want to be frugal there's some subreddits for odd small $5 or $10 jobs if it's a simple design.
    Focus attack has the templates though if you're feeling brave and want to slap someone's finished work over top of it yourself.