As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    They look soft!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    webguy20 wrote: »
    They look soft!

They feel great, and sound good still as I mentioned. There is a little bit of 'new'-ness that I just need to break them in where if I move my head too much too quickly they squeak from lightly rubbing on my ears I guess. Other than that no issues at all so far.

I'm dumb, the squeak is the fabric rubbing against my glasses frames on my ears. Not my ears. So yeah, no issues yet!

KoopahTroopah on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    They look soft!

They feel great, and sound good still as I mentioned. There is a little bit of 'new'-ness that I just need to break them in where if I move my head too much too quickly they squeak from lightly rubbing on my ears I guess. Other than that no issues at all so far.

I'm dumb, the squeak is the fabric rubbing against my glasses frames on my ears. Not my ears. So yeah, no issues yet!

I love when audio problems have a simple explanation. I built my own 18 inch Dynamax sub and couldn't figure out why it wasn't loud as hell. Realized the amp plate had two inputs and I needed an RCA Y Splitter to plug into both to get the full sound.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Decided I wanted a pair of IEMs to wear when I'm out/when I need to let my ears rest and air out. Was going to get Shure SE215s, but a bit more reading suggested most people have moved on to recommending newer, cheaper brands for similar quality in that range of IEMs. Ended up ordering the TRN V80s based on a few different comparison reviews of that niche of IEM, will see how I feel about them either today or tomorrow. Even if they suck they'll be better for listening to podcasts while I'm at the store than my SportaPros, which ridiculously good for what they cost but aren't very comfortable (wonder if the PortaPros are also uncomfortable?) and can get annoying when I'm dealing with a mask/glasses/hood all at once.

Also the Meze 99 Noirs continue to be excellent, no complaints.

Kamar on
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Decided I wanted a pair of IEMs to wear when I'm out/when I need to let my ears rest and air out. Was going to get Shure SE215s, but a bit more reading suggested most people have moved on to recommending newer, cheaper brands for similar quality in that range of IEMs. Ended up ordering the TRN V80s based on a few different comparison reviews of that niche of IEM, will see how I feel about them either today or tomorrow. Even if they suck they'll be better for listening to podcasts while I'm at the store than my SportaPros, which ridiculously good for what they cost but aren't very comfortable (wonder if the PortaPros are also uncomfortable?) and can get annoying when I'm dealing with a mask/glasses/hood all at once.

Porta pros are quite comfy for what they are and punch farrrrr above their weight sound wise. Won't beat a cup around the same ear, but for something on ear they ain't bad, and you could probably find softer after market foam pads too.

Kamar wrote: »

Porta pros are quite comfy for what they are and punch farrrrr above their weight sound wise. Won't beat a cup around the same ear, but for something on ear they ain't bad, and you could probably find softer after market foam pads too.

Yeah, afaik the SportaPros use the same driver as the PortaPros, just in a cheaper frame. Sound great, I just can't wear them for long.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wanted to grab a pair of open back headphones.

The MD/Sen 6XX seem to be really good for the price point.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend looking at?

Was going to grab the DROP 02 as well for an AMP.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Wanted to grab a pair of open back headphones.

The MD/Sen 6XX seem to be really good for the price point.

Is there anything else anyone can recommend looking at?

If you like the Grado sound they are great. I'm a big fan, but they are bright. You can't go wrong with the 6XX though.

Thanks I'm just checking out the Grado stuff now, never really looked at their products. Any model in particular that stands out for you?

I have and love the grado 80s. I also have the 6xx and...it is so much more comfortable. They both sound great, to my dumb ears I'd say the 6xx are cleaner/flatter in a nice way like it's an accurate reproduction. The grados are a little warmer and have a wider sound stage. Both leak all the sound of that's a concern. But the grados are a lot cheaper, and I'd say the main thing you are paying for in that standoff is the comfort. Aftermarket earcups on the grados might make that a wash, have not tried it. But overall you can't go wrong.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

I have an older version of the Massdrop O2 (same except for where the input/power sockets are, I think) and it's been fine for me (going into HD600s) -- it makes things sound better, sure, but honestly the biggest thing I appreciate it for is a physical volume dial on the front, I use that all the time.

edited June 2021
    Awesome thanks everyone for the feedback.

I’ll check out some more reviews for both, but good to have options.

The only thing is I’m not sure if Grado ships all their product to Canada. Gotta dig into the details more.

Dixon on
    Awesome thanks everyone for the feedback.

I’ll check out some more reviews for both, but good to have options.

The only thing is I’m not sure if Grado ships all their product to Canada. Gotta dig into the details more.

I think grado is still NYC based, but with covid who knows

TRN V80s sound good, but it's taking a bit to get used to IEMs even with the smallest tips. Hopefully it's a getting used to it thing and not a can't use these comfortably ever thing.

Don't think I'll ever like even really really good IEMs as much as over-ear headphones, though, because there's something missing, like I'm aware of the lack of vibration around the outer ear and, uh, my skull.

edited June 2021
    I have and love the grado 80s. I also have the 6xx and...it is so much more comfortable. They both sound great, to my dumb ears I'd say the 6xx are cleaner/flatter in a nice way like it's an accurate reproduction. The grados are a little warmer and have a wider sound stage. Both leak all the sound of that's a concern. But the grados are a lot cheaper, and I'd say the main thing you are paying for in that standoff is the comfort. Aftermarket earcups on the grados might make that a wash, have not tried it. But overall you can't go wrong.

I've had Grado 60 series in the past and currently have a pair of 125e series. I have no problem with the comfort of my Grados but you HAVE to bend the head band to fit your head. Its just a metal strip with some faux leather. Once I did that they are super comfortable. They don't weight anything. The 6xx are super flat sound wise and definitely reproduce better. I like the warmth out of the Grados though and the sound stage is amazing. The only other nice cans I can compare them to are the Sony 7506 that I have. The Sony's sound great and have more base, but the sound is right in the middle of your head. The Grados are just so much more expansive that they are the hands down winners in my book. There are lots of aftermarket mods and tweaks for the Grado drivers that I'm starting to check out too.

The Grado 80x are a steal at $125 for a solid open back headphone that's made in the USA. Edit it also looks like they've upgraded the Headband and cables since the E series. Explains the bit of price increase. I wonder if I can buy the headband.

webguy20 on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    The Grado 80's were the first real headphones I bought way back in the 90's. While they were nice, I couldn't wear them for long gaming sessions due to comfort.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The Grado 80's were the first real headphones I bought way back in the 90's. While they were nice, I couldn't wear them for long gaming sessions due to comfort.

Yea the old ones were much more uncomfortable. My new 125e series are way better. Not sure if the metal in the band is better or the full coverage cups or what. Or I know how to adjust the band better, but whatever it is I can wear them for hours now.

Again, I love em all. And yes my 80se's or whatever are also a good 5+ years old, so super possible they got more comply since then. Can't beat that soviet submarine styling either.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I got a pair of Arctis 7 headphones last year at the start of Covid. They worked pretty well and did what I wanted up until February this year when they stopped taking a charge. I had treated them carefully and made sure to not overcharge them, but they just stopped taking a charge. I went through the torturous RMA process and finally received a replacement in mid-May. I have been using them for a couple of weeks now and the same thing has happened again. I did some more research on them and apparently this is a common problem with the Arctis 7 and Arctis 9 headsets. I'm dreading doing the RMA process again, but either way I do not recommend either product.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    That sucks to hear as I have nothing but good things to say about my now 1.5 year old Arctis 7, but for the record "overcharging" headphones should not be a thing. Modern charging circuits prevent voltage from being applied to a battery that is fully charged. Unless you are saying you only plug it in when it needs charging, which yeah small dose charging can accelerate battery life but not by THAT much. I assume you have inspected the micro usb cable you are using and/or tried another one?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's been done and you are right that the charging pattern shouldn't impact the battery life. Hopefully I just got a couple of lemons, but the problem appears widespread enough that there's lots of reports of this problem.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    There should be more quality headphones that are both wired and wireless. I cant be he only one who wants one solution for listening to music, gaming and staying on discord when walking to the kitchen.

edited June 2021
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    There should be more quality headphones that are both wired and wireless. I cant be he only one who wants one solution for listening to music, gaming and staying on discord when walking to the kitchen.

I mean, Drop Pandas are apparently that, right? They tried to build audiophile quality BT headphones, and by all accounts succeeded.

Like, I think they have an amp built into them?

Very likely my next big headphone purchase.

Kamar on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Bluetooth is the opposite of what you want for wireless gaming. Even with all of the best codecs, there's still delay. You can use the Drop Panda's wired of course for that, but then you're bypassing the internal amp.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I wouldn't use the Drop Panda for gaming, even if you BT hook it up, when you engage the mic it drops the audio.

It's like the headset has two audio output devices built into it, and when the mic is engaged it uses the 2nd which is low quality.

Also I ended up getting the HD6XX and O2 amp to start.

I bought this little guy as a BT reciever AMP/DAC when I want to use the 6XX's on my iPhone.

Qudelix-5K Reference DAC/AMP

Dixon on
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I wouldn't use the Drop Panda for gaming, even if you BT hook it up, when you engage the mic it drops the audio.

It's like the headset has two audio output devices built into it, and when the mic is engaged it uses the 2nd which is low quality.

Also I ended up getting the HD6XX and O2 amp to start.

I bought this little guy as a BT reciever AMP/DAC when I want to use the 6XX's on my iPhone.

Qudelix-5K Reference DAC/AMP

I am trying to recall this from memory without looking anything up, but I think dropping audio quality when you use a headset with a mic over BT is a problem with the Windows implementation of audio over BT, which occurs independent of whether your BT device could actually maintain both fine?

Kamar on

It's just how Bluetooth handles audio sending & receiving, it splits them into separate mono channels (in the scenario described above). Even though some of the better codecs should solve this issue, especially on PCs you're at the whims of how the bluetooth chip in the PC is going to process it.

The easy fix is to get a separate mic. I use my Drop Pandas but then use my Sound Blaster beamforming mic for gaming since it doesn't need to be anywhere close to my face. Works great for PC gaming.

The PS4 is another nightmare all together.

edited June 2021
    Ah yeah, so it’s not a headset specific issue.

It sucks as well, I’ve got the onboard BT from the TUF X570 mobo. It's fairly new, I was hoping for better support, but man that drop in quality is massive.

Dixon on
    Ah yeah, so it’s not a headset specific issue.

It sucks as well, I’ve got the onboard BT from the TUF X570 mobo. I’d fairly new but man that drop in quality is massive.

Unfortunately even in Windows you don't even know what codec it's using between the device and the PC. AFAIK at least on iOS & Android you can see what it's using typically (AptX, LDAC, etc etc).

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Same thing here -- the BT headse I have drops enormously in quality if I tell it to be a headset (ie use the mic) -vs- just being headphones, when it's fine (for a $40 pair of headphones, at least). Which is annoying, but it seems like Windows has learned that MS Teams gets the "headset" device and everything else gets the "headphones" device, so it works out okay most of the time.

edited June 2021
    Man, I want those Sen 8XX headphones, like half off compared to the HD800S.

EDIT:

Do the Drop Panda's support spatial audio? I see iTunes just released the Lossless and Spatial Audio stuff.

Nothing comes up in google but I do see a mention of THX Spatial Audio, I'm just not sure if that is the same thing.

Dixon on
    edited June 2021
    The Lossless would be the only one that really applies. Spatial is Apple's doby atoms for headphones, so it depends on your device, not your headphones. Today the Panda's don't look like they support Apples new ALAC codec, but they might in the future via firmware. They support AAC, so it might not be too hard.

EDIT: Looking online, doesn't seem like there are any headphones that support the new ALAC codec yet.

Trajan45 on
    Ah okay, so it is something proprietary. Yeah I hope that they add that support then, I'd like to hear how it's mixed.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Hello Audio Thread!

I've been staring at new headphone options for the past hour trying to up my audio game and am banging my head against the wall. Mind if I get some recommendations?

Budget is ~300$. Looking for both gaming and audio recording. I've got access to "1/4 jack through my focusrite, along with standard usb/headphone jack through my pc case. Don't mind cords. Have no brand preference. Trying to get away from 'gamer-y' headsets. Don't need a mic.

For reference, my current headset is the Logitech G935.

Thanks!

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hello Audio Thread!

I've been staring at new headphone options for the past hour trying to up my audio game and am banging my head against the wall. Mind if I get some recommendations?

Budget is ~300$. Looking for both gaming and audio recording. I've got access to "1/4 jack through my focusrite, along with standard usb/headphone jack through my pc case. Don't mind cords. Have no brand preference. Trying to get away from 'gamer-y' headsets. Don't need a mic.

Thanks!
    I use SONY MDR-7506s for tracking vocals because that’s what I’m used to. But you can probably do better with that budget. I recommend Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, but there are a lot of great options.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    A Schitt Stack and a set of SONY MDR-7506s would be a great starter setup.

My Qudelix arrived, and man is that thing tiny. It's about the size of a credit card, maybe slightly less wide and just under 1 inch thick if I had to guess.

Unfortunately the amp doesn't arrive until the end of August but the HD6XX shipped today so I should have them tuesday with it being DHL.

The Qudelix still acts an AMP and it seems people don't have any issue driving them with the Qudelix. Looking forward to trying it as a USB-C and BT dac/amp.a

Hello Audio Thread!

Thanks!

Usually the first question is what kind of sound do you prefer? Do you like more bass? clearer highs? neutral sound? For games, getting a set with less bass and better highs allows for better positional information. More bass would make that harder but give you more of a theater experience with explosions and other sound effects having more weight to them.

edited June 2021
    My HD6xx arrived.

Currently doing iPhone Lightning -> USB-C Qudelix (DAC/Amp) -> 2.5mm Balanced HD6xx playing lossless at 24-bit 96khz.

Oh man is it delicious.

The Qudelix has a parametric EQ via iPhone app so I will tinker with that, but even default it sounds so good.

Dixon on