As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This is why the industry needs to get away from announcing games before they can realistically put it in front of press and consumers. FO4 remains, in my mind, the gold standard for how to handle a games announcement, marketing and release.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    This is why the industry needs to get away from announcing games before they can realistically put it in front of press and consumers. FO4 remains, in my mind, the gold standard for how to handle a games announcement, marketing and release.

I'd say at a minimum you should be able to show a decent length section of actual gameplay for sure. A playable demo can be a tall ask if it's not substantially finished, though that's probably more helpful when there's stuff people might be unsure about compared to new iterations in a franchise.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Man I just wanted Space Marine 2. :(

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of it is that Microsoft is in charge of marketing for Elden Ring this go around instead of how Sony handled Bloodborne. Maybe they're being heavy handed with it for some reason

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I wonder how much of it is that Microsoft is in charge of marketing for Elden Ring this go around instead of how Sony handled Bloodborne. Maybe they're being heavy handed with it for some reason

. . .are they? It would make sense. SEKIRO, DS3 and BB all released within a year of announcement if I am remembering correctly and had proper drip feeds for press and consumers.

Having said that, I like what I see (anyone surprised at Soulmass being in the game - come on, of course this is Open World Dark Souls) and the description of GRRM's involvement I'm fine with (light world building, leave the rest to Miyazaki and Co).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Saw this last night.

https://youtu.be/UZ8kk0I3tkU

Honestly it looks very early in development, and a lot looks like a sort of storyboard for a CGI trailer.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Saw this last night.

https://youtu.be/UZ8kk0I3tkU

Honestly it looks very early in development, and a lot looks like a sort of storyboard for a CGI trailer.

That trailers a year old by now tho

Just saw that edit the uploader did, definitely makes sense it being old.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ooooh bearer of rings, elden no farther, seek seek lest

BahamutZERO.gif
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Wait, are we sure this isnt Dark Souls 4?

*ducks for cover*

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    vblfohec5cv51.png

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Is something happening that I should be paying attention to?

urahonky wrote: »

some Xbox event I think, and Xbox has marketing rights to Elden Ring so would more than likely be shown at one of their events

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    https://www.summergamefest.com/#:~:text=Summer Game Fest will feature,with iam8Bit and Double Fine.

This June, the video game industry unites to preview what's next, starTing with a spectacular Kickoff Live! show hosted by Geoff Keighley on Thursday, June 10. Keep checking back as events are added to the calendar. Everything can be streamed for free, no badges needed.

Peas on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

some Xbox event I think, and Xbox has marketing rights to Elden Ring so would more than likely be shown at one of their events

Uh huh sure it will

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Uh huh sure it will

? didn't say it would be shown for sure, just that if it is shown it would more than likely be at an Xbox event because they have marketing rights

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    SGF stream starts in two hours or so. I'm not aware of anything saying when--or even confirming concretely, they've been super coy about it--Elden Ring stuff would be showing.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Kamar wrote: »
    SGF stream starts in two hours or so. I'm not aware of anything saying when--or even confirming concretely, they've been super coy about it--Elden Ring stuff would be showing.

If they had an Elden Ring announcement in the waiting, I feel like they'd put info out as soon as possible on when it would be announced and just use social media to build the hype.

Of course, they could just keep it up their sleeve and get people to watch by winks and nods.

jungleroomx on
    Kamar wrote: »

If they had an Elden Ring announcement in the waiting, I feel like they'd put info out as soon as possible on when it would be announced and just use social media to build the hype.

Of course, they could just keep it up their sleeve and get people to watch by winks and nods.

Just based on the stuff Geoff Keighley's been tweeting, I'm pretty confident they'll have something for Elden Ring at SGF--even if it turns out to not be much. Jokes about finally getting out of gamer jail etc, which was itself a meme about about how he mentioned Elden Ring without having anything to show during, iirc, the VGAs.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Also peas has been diligently offering feet pics so we're basically guaranteed news

BahamutZERO.gif
    Bandai Namco confirmed, but there's more than 1 game they're putting out, so ER not confirmed.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    IT'S REAL

IT LOOKS SICK

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    January 21st 2022!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    1/21/22!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    I am way over excited for this.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm all about this mount stuff. Looks fun.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Still worried the combat might be Sekiro fast, but we'll see. That was a good trailer though.

try horse, skeleon

it looks so fucking good

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    ELDEN RING ゲームプレイトレーラー【SummerGameFest2021】 3:02
    edit:
    ELDEN RING - Official Gameplay Reveal
    https://youtu.be/E3Huy2cdih0
    Same trailer but with subs

Peas on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Horse Souls!

But hopefully not Hoarse souls!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    edited June 2021
    Just in case that repeatedly confirmed leaker on ResetEra needed more confirmation, it is definitely a deer thing/'yakul' and not a horse.

Kamar on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    So if that's representative game play I'd say they are leaning more towards Sekiro/Bloodborne with this than Dark Souls. This is not a bad thing as Sekiro plays with a refinement that shows how well From has mastered their toolset. If they can bring that refinement of play back to an RPG world, with the grim dark fantasy lore backing it...I'm about it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Still worried the combat might be Sekiro fast, but we'll see. That was a good trailer though.

try horse, skeleon

I am starting a letter campaign to ensure this game has Sekiro-style combat and is 70% boss fights by volume, sorry

Speed looked about Bloodborne ish to me. The PC is shown holding shields a few times so it probably won't be full on Sekiro rhythm game.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Part of what made Sekiro so balanced was the lack of customizability. I don't think you can have both impactful rpg elements and equivalent combat.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    If you can choose between combat styles that prioritize Sekiro-style parrying and others (e.g. holding block) that would be great

Just let me get sick parries on entire combos, please

Evil Multifarious on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think the combat will likely hew closer to Bloodborne, but I think the other game play elements I saw looked Sekiro'ish. Enhanced movement and stuff.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.