As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - He-Mania

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - He-Mania

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    And befittingly during pride month. But can it really be prouder than the original?

• Options
    NemuriBakuNemuriBaku Registered User regular
    A lot of He-Man characters are named for what they do. I hope we get to see Mr. Fisto in action.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    The new He-Man looks pretty badass, and I'm eager to check it out. Admittedly though, the complaints and whinges I've seen about Teela so far have soured me a little. I'm dreading the deluge of salty fans once the full show hits.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Gabe: And there's Man-E-Faces!
    Tycho: OK, now you're just making up silly names.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Tempest8008Tempest8008 Registered User new member
    Honestly had NO idea this was coming out. Thank you!

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Kevin Smith is the show runner on this too. Which is an interesting decision. I kinda dig it.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    "After 40 years"

I guess we're all supposed to forget about the 2002 reboot. Or the 1990 continuation. I guess since it only had 65 episodes it didn't count.

• Options
    Oh, btw, here's the trailer for your convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81wyj65SJIo

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    NemuriBaku wrote: »
    A lot of He-Man characters are named for what they do. I hope we get to see Mr. Fisto in action.

The new She-Ra series poked fun at this quite a bit.
    In one of the very early episodes they're at a council and someone asked Netossa what her deal was.
    Netossa:"I toss magical nets! It's right there in the name!"
    Spinnerella:* pats her arm* "And they're lovely nets. "

The best part was even though they were basically there just for that joke in season 1, by the final season they were both real characters and kind of badass to boot.

The She-Ra reboot was really good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just checking, but, we all watched both He-Man and She-Ra as kids, right?
    Cuz they were shown back to back and were basically the exact same show?
    And then we lied to our friends about watching She-Ra, because girls were gross?
    And deep down we all knew we all watched them both and were lying about it?
    That's, like, part of the quintessential He-Man and the Masters of the Universe experience, I'm sure of it.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Just checking, but, we all watched both He-Man and She-Ra as kids, right?
    Cuz they were shown back to back and were basically the exact same show?
    And then we lied to our friends about watching She-Ra, because girls were gross?
    And deep down we all knew we all watched them both and were lying about it?
    That's, like, part of the quintessential He-Man and the Masters of the Universe experience, I'm sure of it.

For whatever reason, I never watched She-Ra. Wasn't because I thought it was for girls or whatever. We watched any cartoon we could get our eyes on, so I'm pretty sure we would have watched it if we could. I mean, we watched Scooby Doo, and that was terrible. It was so bad that I realized at that young age that it was terrible. But it was still a cartoon, so we watched it.

Edit: Wikipedia says He-Man first run was 1983-1985, and She-Ra started in 1985. I think I probably saw He-Man before She-Ra started. We had very sporadic access to cable, so I'm not sure I would have seen it when they had both on back-to-back.

Also thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that J. Michael Straczynski "was a fan of the cartoon He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. He wrote a spec script in 1984 and sent it directly to Filmation. They purchased his script, bought several others, and hired him on staff. During this time he became friends with Larry DiTillio, and when Filmation produced the He-Man spinoff She-Ra: Princess of Power, they both worked as story editors on the show. However, when Filmation refused to give them credit on-screen, both left, finding work with DIC on Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors."

dennis on
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    I guess the main reason why one wouldn't watch She-Ra was that it really was just He-Man with a female lead.

• Options
    ZobirisZobiris NS, CanadaRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    "After 40 years"

I guess we're all supposed to forget about the 2002 reboot. Or the 1990 continuation. I guess since it only had 65 episodes it didn't count.

It also looks -so- similar to the 2002 one, too.

Comic-wise, I love the subtle, but flavorful arm breaking at the elbow.

• Options
    Xena and Hercules seem like they were gender swapped versions of each other, too.

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    It was probably never in the cards but I for one would have liked to see a reboot in the vein of the She-ra Netflix adaptation as opposed to a continuation. A complete reinterpretation of Eternia and what He-Man represents within it.

Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Zobiris wrote: »
    "After 40 years"

It also looks -so- similar to the 2002 one, too.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when watching it. You could have cut that trailer using the 2002 animation, and I would have been just as credulous.

dennis on
  • Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that big muscleman type heroes are popular anymore.

• Options
    edited June 2021

The Rock would like to have a word with you.

Seriously, though, this is squarely aimed at adults, not kids. I'm not sure what that will mean for content, but that's what they're going for. Adults whose childhood roots were intertwined with the original show. So it's a grown-ups version of He-Man. The muscleman part is not that important either way. Just a holdover from the original. Though I see they slimmed down, which helps fix a part of the story you realized was pretty dumb as you got older. Even the 2002 one had him being pretty buff.

Also, somehow I missed that Skeletor will be voiced by Mark Hamill. Unbelievable. Yes, there a bunch of other Hollywood stars, but Hamill is an actual talented voice actor as well. That gets me far more excited.

dennis on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't think I actually watched either as a child. At least not to the extent I did most other cartoons. Not sure if it was schedule or no reception on those channels or what. I have vague memories of having seen some he-man, but I'm pretty sure I spent more time watching commercials for it than the actual show.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    As a child, I'd watch ANYTHING animated. I watched He-Man, but zero She-Ra. I have a recollection that She-Ra was on cable, and we didn't have cable. I did watch Rainbow Brite if that counts for anything.

• Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    As a child, I'd watch ANYTHING animated. I watched He-Man, but zero She-Ra. I have a recollection that She-Ra was on cable, and we didn't have cable. I did watch Rainbow Brite if that counts for anything.

It was this instinct that led me to watch Watership Down, and thus I took the fork in the path that led to the person I am today.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I was late to the party for He-Man, for the same reason as Jerry (and my age). I was in the DuckTales generation. But I watched the original He-Man and She-Ra with my son on Netflix and he really got into them. Of all the "80s toy commercial" shows I've since watched as an adult, I'd honestly say He-Man was among the worst, though of course it has a "so bad it's good" quality. She-Ra was obviously intended as "He-Man but to sell to girls", but by accident it actually ended up being a lot better as far as plots and character development went. I still argue that the Legend of Zelda cartoon was the best in that genre, but that might not be a very popular opinion...

In any case the animation looks slick and in very intrigued to see how they handle the silliness: do they try to make Cringer and Orko and Skeletor cool or do they lampshade it all, interspersed with action scenes?

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    One of the nice things about MOTU is that beyond the good guy vs bad guy plots, there's a lot of fascinating lore and backstory to flesh out the universe, even within the original series itself.
    I watched the show as a kid, but it wasn't until several years later that I read about how He-Man's mother was actually an astronaut from our Earth who ended up on Eternia and eventually became the Queen. I want to see more of that story.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular

The Rock would like to have a word with you.

Seriously, though, this is squarely aimed at adults, not kids. I'm not sure what that will mean for content, but that's what they're going for. Adults whose childhood roots were intertwined with the original show.

I guess we'll see if that's a sufficiently-sized audience to support this endeavor.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I remember watching both He-Man and She-Ra as a kid. I distinctly remember She-Ra being on in the morning while I was eating breakfast before school. Whatever network it was on just decided one day that they were going to start airing She-Ra instead of whatever was on in that time slot. I don't recall what it replaced, but I do remember being upset that I could no longer watch the show that was now gone. I eventually came to like She-Ra though.

As a kid one of my favorite toys was a large plastic He-Man sword. I remember it being a yellowish-greenish color? I went looking for an image, but surprisingly I didn't find one on Google. Of course, I kept it "sheathed" in the back of my shirt when I wasn't swinging it around. It was a sad day when that sword broke. lol

EDIT: I think it was this one. I don't remember owning the shield though!
    5eje0nu7tqk4.jpg

MarcinMN on

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    I also found this

bkz83k8dyxfr.png

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I also found this

*image removed to save space*

Once I found the picture I posted, I was pretty sure that was the sword. Maybe it was a birthday present and some classmate robbed me of my shield and kept it for themselves. haha

MarcinMN on

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    In the background of the second picture I see The Six Million Dollar Man. Inflation and rising healthcare costs have really done a number on that title. In the reboot he'd just be some guy who accidentally got a regular knee replacement at an out-of-network doctor. The bionic sound effect would play as he slowly extracted himself from a deep couch. Six seasons and a movie.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I was late to the party for He-Man, for the same reason as Jerry (and my age). I was in the DuckTales generation. But I watched the original He-Man and She-Ra with my son on Netflix and he really got into them. Of all the "80s toy commercial" shows I've since watched as an adult, I'd honestly say He-Man was among the worst, though of course it has a "so bad it's good" quality. She-Ra was obviously intended as "He-Man but to sell to girls", but by accident it actually ended up being a lot better as far as plots and character development went. I still argue that the Legend of Zelda cartoon was the best in that genre, but that might not be a very popular opinion...

In any case the animation looks slick and in very intrigued to see how they handle the silliness: do they try to make Cringer and Orko and Skeletor cool or do they lampshade it all, interspersed with action scenes?

There's a scene in the trailer with Orko, where he puts up a barrier to deflect a bunch of spectral ghosts.

And yeah, the original series was part of the Early Toyetic Era of American animation, better known as the Age of Schlock.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I think I was vaguely aware of He-Man being on teevee when I was a childe in the early '90s, but I don't have any memories of ever actually watching it. I tried watching the original show recently and it looked like ass. And not a beautiful ass, an ugly ass.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I was too young for He-Man during its original run, and probably too young to remember She-Ra (born in '83). But some network must have syndicated them later in the 80's because I definitely remember watching them with my sister when I was young. And yeah, She-Ra was the better show, but it's kind of expected since it started later and benefited from what the He-Man producers learned. Granted, that's not saying much because OG He-Man was terrible.

The Dolph Lundgren Masters of the Universe film is pretty schlocky but fun. IIRC, Frank Langella played Skeletor cause his kids were into the cartoon, and apparently had a blast chewing the scenery. Sort of like what happened with Raul Julia playing Bison in Street Fighter.

This new one seems to be trying a higher-cost version of what the 2002 remake did. I hope the shift to Netflix and changing markets make that viable, because the '02 one seemed neat but got cancelled before I found out about it (ditto the serious Thundercats remake that happened later on).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The 1990 series is weird, because outside of Adam/He-Man and Skeletor none of the other classic characters are around, and it doesn't take place on Eternia. It feels like a completely different thing with the two mains of another show bolted on top of it to generate views and toy sales.

I remember watching a few episodes as a kid and thinking "WTF? Where's Cringer? Where's Orko? Where's the fantasy stuff like Castle Greyskull and magic?"

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The 1990 series is weird, because outside of Adam/He-Man and Skeletor none of the other classic characters are around, and it doesn't take place on Eternia. It feels like a completely different thing with the two mains of another show bolted on top of it to generate views and toy sales.

I remember watching a few episodes as a kid and thinking "WTF? Where's Cringer? Where's Orko? Where's the fantasy stuff like Castle Greyskull and magic?"

The most surprising thing about this is that anyone would ever ask, "Where's Orko?"

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

The most surprising thing about this is that anyone would ever ask, "Where's Orko?"

Orko gets a major role in this version and is true to his original personality or I walk.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

Orko gets a major role in this version and is true to his original personality or I walk.

He's doing a spinning magical shield in the trailer, I think?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Orko even has angry eyes, which isn't very true to character, unless he's just concentrating really hard before the spell blows up in his face.

Edit: I just paused on that frame and he kinda looks like Senketsu from Kill la Kill. Weird.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    The question is, will this new Orko be as extreme as Ultimate Orko:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93KdbUtKFck

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Anybody looking for more He-Man information might want to check out its episode of The Toys That Made Us on Netflix.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Anybody looking for more He-Man information might want to check out its episode of The Toys That Made Us on Netflix.

Also, Netflix posted an interview with Kevin Smith on the series:

https://youtu.be/GpsmEcGmUBQ

And he pretty much reveals the big twist for the series obliquely:
    Though he doesn't say it outright, he all but states that the "revelation" in the title is Teela finding out that she is the Sorceress' daughter and eventual successor.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum