As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    looks amazing and i will cherish every moment of playing and cry when it's over but after Sekiro and Bloodborne kinda dissapointing how much it reminds me of dark souls aesthetically
    Drascin wrote: »
    I hadn't been following this, but looking at this trailer... you know, I admit, I had assumed From had closed the Souls series because they felt like trying to do something different, but this is Souls as balls. Like half the shots in this trailer would have been entirely at home in a straight up Dark Souls 2 scene reel.

Which, I mean, I like Dark Souls, so hey, I'm game, but this does rather seem to be very much Dark Souls 4, just the Undead are Tarnished now.

I’m not disappointed, but I’m surprised how Dark Souls the voice over was—all fire, flameth extinguisheded, ooo search for the ring, capital ‘t’ Tarnished. I’ve been making Elden Ring joke posts for months now and I’m pretty sure I’ve said the same things in jest.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    looks amazing and i will cherish every moment of playing and cry when it's over but after Sekiro and Bloodborne kinda dissapointing how much it reminds me of dark souls aesthetically
    Drascin wrote: »
    I hadn't been following this, but looking at this trailer... you know, I admit, I had assumed From had closed the Souls series because they felt like trying to do something different, but this is Souls as balls. Like half the shots in this trailer would have been entirely at home in a straight up Dark Souls 2 scene reel.

Which, I mean, I like Dark Souls, so hey, I'm game, but this does rather seem to be very much Dark Souls 4, just the Undead are Tarnished now.

I’m not disappointed, but I’m surprised how Dark Souls the voice over was—all fire, flameth extinguisheded, ooo search for the ring, capital ‘t’ Tarnished. I’ve been making Elden Ring joke posts for months now and I’m pretty sure I’ve said the same things in jest.

I was surprised on the flame being extinguished part, yeah. Hopefully they just used that in the trailer and the game itself doesn't continue to be so reverential.

That being said, whenever there's that Fromsoft ASMR VO goodness with all the thee thine and thy's my brain goes entirely into "pls take me now" mode

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeah my initial reaction is that this is dark souls 3 on some serious steroids and I am 100% okay with that.

Now give us the next armored core game you cowards.

Sadly, all the robot game people have likely moved on after nearly a decade of souls games being the sole focus of the company.

I know at least some of the AC people started a new studio and made a robot game on the switch a few years ago, but it wasn't really armored core enough for me. Demon X Machina it was called, I think?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Man, the Armored Core games are basically my favorite mech/mecha games of all time and I can't believe I totally blanked on it being a FromSoft game. Yeah sadly most of the Armored Core people have moved on but I would absolutely love love love a new Armored Core.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I think they have been working on a new armored Core or mech ip so there's a non zero chance of there being an announcement of a new game this year
    It kinda makes sense if you think about how Bandai Namco gave Geoff the Elden Ring trailer, they might still have something equally or more exciting up their sleeves from Fromsoft

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    The main character is very Artorias to me.

Which is totes fine.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

ICYMI: some Elden Ring details

- biggest FROM game to date
    - seamless, interconnected world
    - dynamic weather & day/night systems
    - swamps confirmed
    - free next-gen upgrade

https://ign.com/articles/elden-ring-largest-from-software-game-details-revealed

There will also be online-coop for up to 4 players
    https://videogameschronicle.com/news/elden-ring-will-feature-online-multiplayer-for-up-to-4-players/

Seamless interconnected world sounds nuts man

Peas on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    "Swamps confirmed"

Why waste time communicating information we all know a priori

• Options
    With Elden Ring’s unique Swamp Advancement System, the entire map becomes a poisonous speed reducing swamp in real time.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I really didn't like Sekiro at all, so finally having something more Souls-like in gameplay is making me really happy.

I'm with you in this. It's not that I didn't like Sekiro, it's that it just didn't grab me the way Souls and Bloodborne did.

I'm actually trying another play through now because it's the only From game I haven't conquered and I want to fix that. The difficulty doesn't bother me, I've fine with the tight timed parry's and stuff...the story, world and lack of RPG elements just made it less interesting to me.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Patrick Klepick and Austin Walker are watching all the Souls trailers, up to them watching the Elden Ring trailer for the first time.

Patrick and I have a very similar Souls journey, becoming hooked on the genre with Dark Souls 2 and than back playing DaS1 and DeS.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    For those not up to date please watch my six hour YouTube video on the trailer, and reference this handy character reveal sheet.
    13bq9nxpgvem.jpeg

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    With Elden Ring’s unique Swamp Advancement System, the entire map becomes a poisonous speed reducing swamp in real time.

Arright, you're banned from game design forever Endless.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

I’m being flown out to work for FromSoft as we speak.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Combine the majesty of the Shaded Woods with Blighttown

Invisible enemies in a poison swamp

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeah my initial reaction is that this is dark souls 3 on some serious steroids and I am 100% okay with that.

Now give us the next armored core game you cowards.

Many of the original Armored Core games had a secret Human PLUS mode, which let a player with a ton of debt volunteer to be experimentally turned into a cyborg and restart the game. The gameplay result was getting a ton of advantages (better boosting, not having to kneel to fire shoulder cannons, built-in awesome radar, etc).

That would be a pretty awesome element to build an AC game from. Make it so that your AC will restore itself to a minimum state after being destroyed, strip parts from enemies, lose parts when you die. Could even add a NG+ where each level strips you of Human PLUS abilities and reverts to being more and more human.
    Much of what you mention are already features of Daemon x Machina.

In terms of features and gameplay, DxM really is AC's successor. The tone is the big difference: AC is grimly post-apocalypse with that minimalist Souls storytelling, while DxM is grimly post-apocalypse with that "hotblooded" anime storytelling.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah I think the switch to the shonen anime tone is a big part of why I didn't like it as much as AC

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I love it, but get this: invisible bone wheels.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Also, 60% of bonfires are actually mimics.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Only 60%? What is this filthy casual nonsense?!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Only 60%? What is this filthy casual nonsense?!

The other 40% are unreachable.

• Options
    I very excited for dynamic weather and time of day. I always felt like, no matter how good the level design was, it was kind of static. Imagine going through Irithyll with a snow storm, or Dragon Aerie in the middle of a dust storm, scaling the Undead Parish at night when raining.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I very excited for dynamic weather and time of day. I always felt like, no matter how good the level design was, it was kind of static. Imagine going through Irithyll with a snow storm, or Dragon Aerie in the middle of a dust storm, scaling the Undead Parish at night when raining.

If it can rival the awesome that was thunderstorms in BoTW, i'll be very happy. Those were just amazing... and the fact you could turn them against your enemies was v. cool

Anyway, i really do hope we get conformation of deeper movesets - i always felt like your actual choices of button what to hit in combat was very limited, and i'd like some more fluid combos.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Weather from drizzle to just enough rain to need a brolly!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Weather from drizzle to just enough rain to need a brolly!

One of the first things I do when I get a game with dynamic weather is scour the config files to see if I can edit it and make it rain 100% of the time. :P

• Options

Thinking further, i want the dynamic weather to be actually meaningful - one of the things that BoTW got very right was that Thunderstorms and the Volcano changed how you fought because of the weather. Even if it's just simple stuff like low visiblity from heavy rain making stealth easier.

One thing i';d be concenred about though is... i dont actually know the term for this. Atagonistic game design? Like how rain storms crippled your aiblity to climb in BoTW, or Swamps just screwed up your movement - stuff where the game actively gets in the way of you playing it. Like some levle of friction is important, but stuff like "cannot climb at all in rain" or ThoseFuckingSWAMPS were just Not Good tm.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

If it can rival the awesome that was thunderstorms in BoTW, i'll be very happy. Those were just amazing... and the fact you could turn them against your enemies was v. cool

Anyway, i really do hope we get conformation of deeper movesets - i always felt like your actual choices of button what to hit in combat was very limited, and i'd like some more fluid combos.

I want to turn a thunderstorm against an opponent like that dragon did in the trailer: summon a bolt of lightning into my fucking hand and smash them in the face with it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Considering this is Miyazaki I kind of feel like odds are even on weather being a right mother fucker as opposed to window dressing.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Mix the Shrine in too so most of the swamp it's actually a bottomless pit

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I instantly knew it was Miyazaki because the enemy designs were horrific and disturbing.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I instantly knew it was Miyazaki because the enemy designs were horrific and disturbing.

For me, Froms art direction on enemies and landscapes is unfuckwithable. Just pure top shelf.

I think some of their gameplay decisions like enemy placement or the way difficulty ramps when you make 1 mistake against multiple foes is kind of cheap and the way they’d use visibility to cripple your ability to play is just straight bullshit, but thankfully they seem to be getting better at it.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

For me, Froms art direction on enemies and landscapes is unfuckwithable. Just pure top shelf.

I think some of their gameplay decisions like enemy placement or the way difficulty ramps when you make 1 mistake against multiple foes is brilliant and the way they’d use visibility to cripple your ability to play is just wonderful, but unfortunately they seem to be doing that less.

Hurt me more Miyazaki!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular

I wouldn't mind a few more options, but I'd just as soon not have to overcome an execution wall just so I can spam BNBs exactly the same way I would mash R1s and R2s, but with way more room for input error.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I might actually get hopelessly addicted to these games instead of just liking them despite their simplicity if they added execution complexity to it.

That sounds a bit dangerous lets keep things chill.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I might actually get hopelessly addicted to these games instead of just liking them despite their simplicity if they added execution complexity to it.

I just really want to be able to enjoy the fun parts of fighting game combat without having to overcome the fact that I take ten times as long to learn combos as other people.

see: Nioh, where I have to think too much during combat to ever just flow the way I can in any other Souls or Soulslike.

edit: For a double whammy, Nioh also simultaneously features the OTHER sort of combat that loses me, the polar opposite of the combo: 'spam this one OP thing over and over forever because there is zero limitation on it and it is amped up so high no other button is worth touching'.

Kamar on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    When they say co-op do they mean non-obnoxious co-op, or do they just mean summoning like previously?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Still summoning, going by the trailer.

• Options
    That'd be my guess too.

Though I would also love to have non-obnoxious co-op.

I love the summoning sigils and such, but I do really want the ability to just, like, invite a buddy too.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    That'd be my guess too.

Though I would also love to have non-obnoxious co-op.

I love the summoning sigils and such, but I do really want the ability to just, like, invite a buddy too.

Yeah, it's the dumbest fucking shit ever made, so I just turned all the online stuff off whenever I played Dark Souls

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options

What I like is the complexity is nearly all in the movement as opposed to the moveset.

This discussion has been closed.