As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Simon is Trevor's grandson and they did it that way instead of father and son because Dracula returns every 100 years.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Simon is Trevor's grandson and they did it that way instead of father and son because Dracula returns every 100 years.

Unless you go by Lords of Shadow timeline where Simon is their son and Trevor is somehow also Alucard :3

But yeah, IIRC Christopher Belmont is their son? I keep seeing people asking for a Christopher Belmont series but is there actually story to those gameboy games? :P I feel like he's one of the least interesting Belmonts :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    One complicated option would be to have Simon make progress through the castle solo, then cut back to the real cast in the present every episode.

Time Simon “killing” Dracula with some twist in the present that is caused by Simon’s power walk of manliness.

hc33ax51bvnz.gif

edited June 2021
    Honestly I feel like you could make Simon work, but you're probably have to largely invent a new story and probably supporting characters for Castlevania 1. Castlevania 2 though seems much more structured for this kind of story, since it's already sort of a cross country adventure and actually has something of a plot beyond "Kill Dracula."

(honestly that might have been another reason they skipped Simon.. it's hard when the game just revolves around traveling through one location the entire time)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Yeah I can see why Simon got sidelined. He got love in Smash but so did Richter and they were just clones of each other. Simon doesn't have any supporting cast around him and is pretty much mr. lonewolf. Simon pretty much only exists as a gameplay vehicle. It wasn't until the later games where they actually started adding story and characters. So for Simon they would definitely have to invent lore and supporting cast, but I personally don't like the "Barbarian" background they gave him in Mirror of Fate. Just want my classic guy to be fleshed out like the other Belmonts.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
    Yeah I can see why Simon got sidelined. He got love in Smash but so did Richter and they were just clones of each other. Simon doesn't have any supporting cast around him and is pretty much mr. lonewolf. Simon pretty much only exists as a gameplay vehicle. It wasn't until the later games where they actually started adding story and characters. So for Simon they would definitely have to invent lore and supporting cast, but I personally don't like the "Barbarian" background they gave him in Mirror of Fate. Just want my classic guy to be fleshed out like the other Belmonts.

Yeah, it would be nice for Simon to actually get some story to his games. Kinda wish Konami would have made a modern game set during his timeframe but then they barely make games anymore :P And IGA got kicked out before he could un-retcon some of the non canon stuff back into the timeline :P (I still want Sonia Belmont to be cannon :P She could be Simon's mom or something :P)

Captain N's interpretation of Simon Belmont was fleshed out.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Honestly I feel like you could make Simon work, but you're probably have to largely invent a new story and probably supporting characters for Castlevania 1. Castlevania 2 though seems much more structured for this kind of story, since it's already sort of a cross country adventure and actually has something of a plot beyond "Kill Dracula."

(honestly that might have been another reason they skipped Simon.. it's hard when the game just revolves around traveling through one location the entire time)

If he's not kneeling down facing a cliff for no good reason then the show will be a failure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    The problem with Simon is that the only time a Bemont's name is in the title was in the most obtusely confusing and un-castlevania entry in the series. Granted that's not his fault but it is his curse, regardless of the time of day.

steam_sig.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Give Simon a one-off mini-season of like 6 episodes that links seasons together. Use it to establish some big bad for a new series arch.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Give Simon a one-off mini-season of like 6 episodes that links seasons together. Use it to establish some big bad for a new series arch.

The original season 1 and 2 were meant to be movies. They should just make a movie length thing for Simon, covering CV1 only. Or maybe retcon 2 to be a leadup to 1 instead of a followup.

A one-off movie would work great too. Simon fighting through the castle and then some aftermath stuff. Show him visions of the past and future through the infinite corridor thing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I fully expect that tweet to be accurate, they'll just change the timeline. Minor miracle if that's all they do.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I fully expect that tweet to be accurate, they'll just change the timeline. Minor miracle if that's all they do.

Nah, they said the original tweet was a mistake. And made a joke about it.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, if I was to take Simon and make something of him, I'd make him basically trying to sneak into the castle to kill Drac in a sort of "stealth attempt" with lots of tension about him possibly being caught. Like, logically he's just one guy and even though he carved through the minions of the night in the game I feel like a better story beat especially for "loner vampire killer" is to have him hide in the shadows, sneak and strike. Sort of the "super spy uses all his training to infiltrate the immensely guarded compound" feel. But not take too long with this, just kinda to an episode or two in that style. And once he kills Drac . . . he's cursed, there's a 7 year time skip, and he's not looking so good, and there's a last ditch attempt to save himself from the curse.

I'd be inclined to include some new characters to help him in his quest to defeat Dracula and save his life, as well.

Though an alternate first half could have him just Rambo up the minions of the castle. Just Doomguy rip and tear demons and other night creatures like a freaking lunatic. That might be interesting to see him almost as more beast than man, and the curse forcing him to be a man. Something about beware becoming the beasts you hunt or something . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hmm, so the baddie for the new series will likely be Shaft, trying to resurrect Dracula.
    They can have a plot twist be Dracula actually showing up already resurrected from S4 and still alive, because vampire.

H9f4bVe.png
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Hmm, so the baddie for the new series will likely be Shaft, trying to resurrect Dracula.
    They can have a plot twist be Dracula actually showing up already resurrected from S4 and still alive, because vampire.

There's also the chance they'll create a new Big Bad to fit in the new French setting.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Hoping that Maria is still an innocent cheerful 12-year-old that just happens to have random mythical beats running ahead of her, slaughtering everything in her path.

2445101633_89f57418ca_m.jpg

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    And a singing voice so bad it unwakes the dead? I also want to see her double jump with no explanation whatsoever.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

There's also the chance they'll create a new Big Bad to fit in the new French setting.

Maybe they'll make Shaft french. Outrageously french.

"Ze Count Dracula vill come to purge zis vurld, in ze holy fires of ze Chaos, peuple!"

An original enemy could be fine - they've carved through most of the classic recurring antagonists this last season. Maybe that lady St. Jermaine was after. Something like Galamoth would be fun, but of course the more monstrous and inhuman enemies are a bit tricky to have if your intent is to develop more human, relatable baddies.

I do hope they try and touch on the larger elements of the setting's cosmology, with Chaos as the source of all dark power and the Count as its avatar in the world of mankind. Those aspects might be held over for some modern/Soma era series, I always thought that was a good way of introducing the concept of a series-spanning big bad beyond Dracula himself.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why I was dragging my feet for so long on actually finishing the last season but holy absolute fuck the sakuga in the last few episodes is absolutely off the chain (and also explains some of the economy of storytelling they had with the slower episodes)
    Absolutely the best videogame adaptation I've seen yet. If this is the quality and direction we can get from Netflix money that's my subscription money guaranteed

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    sakuga?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »
    sakuga?

Sakuga (作画) (lit., "drawing pictures") is a term used in anime to describe moments in a show or movie when the quality of the animation improves drastically, typically for the sake of making a dramatic point or enlivening the action. It's pronounced SA-ku-ga.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Has there been any news of a second collection?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like an Australian Rating Classification has been made for Castlevania Advance Collection. Far from official but we'll see if it's real.

https://www.classification.gov.au/titles/castlevania-advance-collection

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Looks like an Australian Rating Classification has been made for Castlevania Advance Collection. Far from official but we'll see if it's real.

Fuck. Yes. Give it to me.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Honestly much more interested in that than classic castlevania

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    So aria of sorrow and.. what where the others ?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Circle of the Moon
    Harmony of Dissonance

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Finally got my hands on a Series S last week, apparently my save file wasn't on the cloud or some nonsense.

Time to farm for some Fuma Greaves. (And grind out my subs)

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Circle of the Moon
    Harmony of Dissonance

I could also see this potentially including the DS games, if only because it'd be kind of weird to have Aria of Sorrow but not Dawn of Sorrow in the same bundle.

We'll see, though. Either way I'm very excited for this.

edited June 2021
    Hopefully at some point they also release the requiem collection for PC or switch

Fencingsax on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

Circle of the Moon
    Harmony of Dissonance

I could also see this potentially including the DS games, if only because it'd be kind of weird to have Aria of Sorrow but not Dawn of Sorrow in the same bundle.

We'll see, though. Either way I'm very excited for this.

Portrait of ruin is my favorite non Belmont game.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    DS collection would be damn good. All 3 are super high tier Metroidvanias, and each has some neat unique gimmicks.

edited June 2021
    I think they aught to just do a (modern-ish) handheld collection. 3 GBA, 3 DS... 6 games feels like a good size for a collection.

(also it feels weird to me to split Aria and Dawn, assuming they were to do a DS collection as well or whatever)

Warlock82 on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    DS collection would be damn good. All 3 are super high tier Metroidvanias, and each has some neat unique gimmicks.

It would require some deft adaptation, especially for the one that had you kill bosses by drawing seals.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

It would require some deft adaptation, especially for the one that had you kill bosses by drawing seals.

The seal drawing was so stupid anyways. I suspect they could just remove it (have the game auto-draw them or whatever) and the rest of the game would be fine.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Delete the drawing to kill bosses gimmick, use the second analog stick for the playthrough with the bonus characters who attack using the touch screen.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

"Oh my god, its happening okay... everybody stay calm, stay calm! Stay fucking calm! Everybody calm the fuck down!"