As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guardians of the Galaxy] Squeenix finally makes good CLOSED SPOILERS

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited December 2021 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/0R2LxoOqgeM

https://www.gamesradar.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-game-will-apparently-be-unveiled-at-e3-2021/
In the reveal from Square Enix, it was announced that Deux Ex developer Eidos Montreal would be unveiling their new game during the showcase. While many speculated that this could be a new Tomb Raider or Deux Ex game, Schreier was one of a few journalists to shut that speculation down, asserting that Eidos Montreal is working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game instead.

However, Schreier expanded on this claim in the latest episode of the Triple Click podcast. The reporter said that the new game from Eidos Montreal won't be a live-service game, meaning it won't play out like Marvel's Avengers from Crystal Dynamics. Instead, Schreier makes the Guardians of the Galaxy game sound like it'll be skewing away from the formula used by Crystal Dynamics, perhaps even going after a strictly single-player aspect.

Play as Starlord and lead the Guardians in a single player action game about the titular team

Local H Jay on

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    And as if on queue, the expensive preorder editions go live

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like that Peter’s limit break is just him listening to music and getting hype.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    And as if on queue, the expensive preorder editions go live

I actually want this. Not only am I a big fan of the comics but also the movies and also the characters. Plus the game is a single player game with no live service garbage attached.

I am all for supporting this project. If only it was available as so far it is not available.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I'm optimistic, but I'll hold on preordering anything until we get a little more

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I really want this game to be good, but the combat just does not look very good at all. It looks boring, lacking weight or flashy combos. I like that your party members have multiple powers each to use, but they really need to make Star Lord's combat a lot more punchy and interesting.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Considering how badly they squandered the Avengers IP, I’m cautiously pessimistic.

I do think making Starlord the only playable character is the weakest thing about it, swapping between characters I think would be more fun but probably hard to pull off

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I do think making Starlord the only playable character is the weakest thing about it, swapping between characters I think would be more fun but probably hard to pull off

It looks similar to Scarlet Nexus' combat, but that game's combat is way more interesting (obvious caveat that I have yet to play Guardians)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Their parent company pulled it off with FF7 Remake....

Nightslyr wrote: »

Would've been interesting if they used that engine

Nightslyr wrote: »

Would've been interesting if they used that engine

I think FF7R is built on Unreal 4?

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Arise, thread!

Reviews are out and apparently this is... great? I'm seeing reports that it's like a 15 hour long Marvel movie.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    I bought a new laptop last week, and it has an Nvidia 3060 in it. I got a free code for this game for the Steam version as a promo for buying a new Nvidia card. So I'll be playing this on Steam. I've already got it pre-loaded and ready to go. Just waiting for it to go live, which I guess happens on the 27th according to the Steam store page.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm coming to this right from Metroid Dread, so I'm expecting disappointment in comparison. It should be funnier, at least.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This game is amazing and the writing and character work is just top notch. It’s art design is going 11/10 in every area all the time.

It’s just bonkers how good this is.

Also do not use a default difficulty. Create your own in the custom settings where they let you tweak everything. It’s great.

A common complaint is that star lords guns don’t “feel good” to use because the do so little damage since the focus is on setting up team combos and using elemental attacks and cool downs, so his guns kind of feel like filler auto attacks.

But the custom options let’s you turn up the damage on just his guns if you want.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It's on the ol' wishlist.

I gotta say, my biggest complaint about the visuals is that the jets on Quill's rocket packs are like static straight lines, they don't move dynamically as he does a sick flip, they just stay attached to his body, it looks super weird!

Oh brilliant
    Made it past the first two chapters:
    Did anyone choose not to hide the Space Llama? I've already added it as an honorary sixth member of the team, and would die or kill for it.

Also, I made a friend on the Nova ship by covering for her with her mom, so I'm hoping that helps me out later.

• LindLind Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Very much looking forward to start playing this in a few hours when I get home from work.
    It was hella expensive on the ps5 but I guess that’s the next gen (current now?) experience.

edit: Two chapters in, everything is awesome :biggrin:

Lind on
    Loving this game so far. I love the opening chapter:
    Gotta love that they go through all of this danger and potential prison time to get a space Llama. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Not enough people are playing this game, and that's really damn sad. Man Avengers really fucked up.

Yeah, that's pretty sad when one game is so bad that it negatively affects the sales of a completely different game by a completely different team.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    TBH I have a general dislike for both Starlord and Chris Pratt(who I know isn't in the game but still) which is like 90% of the reason I haven't got this game.

But all the great reviews mean I'll probably give it a try when it's discounted.

Viskod wrote: »
    Not enough people are playing this game, and that's really damn sad. Man Avengers really fucked up.

I agree. To be fair though, I cannot blame people. Avengers was not just really scummy, but it was just bland. I'm sure it left a bad taste in many people's mouths which had them just ignore this release all together.

It's definitely too bad because the game is so much fun, the writing is so good, and the story is really interesting. The banter between the characters is just a delight that I try to make sure I don't miss any of it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    @klemming You and I are making very similar decisions =).

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Debating on the game. Love me some Star Lord but I also bought Avengers which wasn't a great experience.

50433.png?1708759015
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    So, I will say that this is not your father's Starlord. Mainly because I'm making the choices, they aren't as stupid (I hope).

Anyway, question. Is there a way to curate the music that is played after huddling up.. I found it amusing the time it went to Don't Worry Be Happy, but I want the rock, not the other stuff.

edit: I have to admit I walked into this with pretty low expectations after Avengers, but it's blown me away every chance it's gotten. I did not like the character designs but within minutes that didn't matter at all. It's not a perfect game, there are a few places where I've gotten stuck in the world literally and had to reload the checkpoint, but it was never more than a few seconds away from the latest checkpoint. The story is miles beyond anything I'd expect from a typical game, and the character interaction is amazing. I even find myself appreciating Drax more after playing the game. The huddle system is kinda lame, honestly, but otherwise this is easily one of the best games I've played this year.

Error on
  • kulbee3499kulbee3499 TexasRegistered User new member
    Still in love with this game..
    I love the opening chapter of this game

Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Debating on the game. Love me some Star Lord but I also bought Avengers which wasn't a great experience.
    If you want to compare this to anything, I'd say it feels more like Uncharted. Very story based, some exploration for stuff (I'm pretty sure I've already missed half a dozen costumes.
    But the banter between the Guardians is constant and very in character.

And it feels like there's a lot of replay value for a single player story based game; I'm watching some streams of people behind me, and at least some of the choices give you very different outcomes.
    Chapter 4:
    I chose to sell Groot as a fearsome monster, and it actually worked! Got 9000 units for him.
    Another player I watched tried to sell Rocket, the whole thing went to hell (mostly because Rocket couldn't keep himself from shooting), and they had to blast their way out, raiding the vault on the way out (incidentally making more money than I did, so I guess screwing it up is the way to go).

I'm not sure how much the crew relationships can change, but I'm trying to play peacemaker and Rocket's still getting steadily more pissed off at me because I don't want to just run and gun every problem.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This is a great looking game. I watched the first two chapters and I was sold.

I will concede how bad avengers was really put me off, as I expected this to be some other multiplayer centric abomination, but it’s not!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    The “This is how we park” bit at the start of chapter 13 was great. Just perfect.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I caved in last night and bought it. Having a fun time with it! Love the dialogue and interactions. I sometimes just let it sit for a few minutes to hear out everyone's comments.

50433.png?1708759015
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Saw the one hour playthroughs on youtube and it just seemed.....ok to me. Nothing seemed that compelling to me so while I may still someday play this, probably just going to have to wait for the bargain bin after I get through my backlog of more compelling games. And yes, I acknowledge that I tried to play the crap out of Avengers and it has soured me.

klemming wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    If you want to compare this to anything, I'd say it feels more like Uncharted. Very story based, some exploration for stuff (I'm pretty sure I've already missed half a dozen costumes.
    But the banter between the Guardians is constant and very in character.

And it feels like there's a lot of replay value for a single player story based game; I'm watching some streams of people behind me, and at least some of the choices give you very different outcomes.
    Chapter 4:
    I chose to sell Groot as a fearsome monster, and it actually worked! Got 9000 units for him.
    Another player I watched tried to sell Rocket, the whole thing went to hell (mostly because Rocket couldn't keep himself from shooting), and they had to blast their way out, raiding the vault on the way out (incidentally making more money than I did, so I guess screwing it up is the way to go).

I'm not sure how much the crew relationships can change, but I'm trying to play peacemaker and Rocket's still getting steadily more pissed off at me because I don't want to just run and gun every problem.

That part ended a little different for me.
    I chose to sell Groot and had Drax do the negotiating and I went away with 12,000 units.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Very solid game, I'm around chapter 9 or 10 I think now?

Characters are definitely movie influenced, but at this point so are the characters in the comics, and this game does a good job of finding a happy medium between their comic and movie depictions. Drax especially is a real standout, very impressed with his characterization, and he's really funny in a way that I feel like the movies failed to even do.

I'm still not clear on exactly how I'm doing it, but I love the melee attacks that just get the entire team to pound on someone.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm still not clear on exactly how I'm doing it, but I love the melee attacks that just get the entire team to pound on someone.

There's two different versions of this. The first is the full-on Flair Attack (is what they call it in-game) that comes up with a prompt on bigger enemies. The second is one that comes up on small mooks where if you're beating on them with standard melee attacks and there's an ally close by. Both are really just executes that happen at about the 35%-40% health left range.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    One of my trophies is getting a combo with Rocket, who is NEVER IN MELEE RANGE.

Viskod wrote: »
    One of my trophies is getting a combo with Rocket, who is NEVER IN MELEE RANGE.
    Some of the flair attacks seem to just spawn him in place to combo with you, so I think it should just happen naturally eventually.

I think I'm probably setting myself up for future hurt:
    Didn't buy the Nova tracker disabler thing on Knowhere (thinking I'm just going to pay the fine), then got pickpocketed by some little kids on the way so I no longer had enough.
    Now Nova's automated fine system wanted me to pay and I didn't slash wouldn't slash couldn't, so I assume the Milano's on a ticking clock to just shut down, probably in the middle of a fight later on.
    Though if Giant Nova Face doesn't want to help me save my possible daughter from the hip new cult, it can get stuffed anyway.

Wow, this game's story is getting good and has given me some emotional feels. Spoilers ahead:
    Having to shoot your mom just hurt to do. Then the conversation with Ko-Rel and realizing just what the stakes are with Nikki was just one gut punch after another. The story is doing a pretty great job of balancing the lighthearted adventure stuff with the funny banter and still be able to pull off some pretty serious and emotional story beats.

On a side note: Richard Rider aka Nova is one of my favorite Marvel characters. The game loves teasing me with mentions of him but I'm having a feeling he won't actually ever show up in the game. :(

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!