As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip 2008

• TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    hey ctishman . . could i possibly get a version of the train trip logo without the year stamped on it . . it might come in handy for the promo vid i'm trying to put together

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    King Nada wrote: »
    Arrr damn train not stopping near PDX. :(

Double limed for extra sad. D:

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I still would like to see a PDX group go up. I know I sat near some other pax goers and it helped the trip up. Btw, The bus stops really close to the train station and goes straight to the max line. It is a reasonable walk with extra luggage.

Viscountalpha on
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It looked to me from the sketchup pictures like it was two seperate beds (like bunk beds). I was thinking about getting those too... but apparently the WCTT has so much gaming going on that it may be hard to pull away long enough to sleep. =)

Yea, I'm thinking about just getting a regular seat for the trip to Seattle, but grabbing a room on the way back.

I figure I'll probably be hung over and tired as hell on the return trip, so it'd be nice to have a place to sleep comfortably. :)

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    ctishman wrote: »
    No, regular passengers don't get meals, showers, the Pacific Parlour lounge/observation car, hot cookies at night, the morning paper, bed turn-downs or drinks. They pay for everything.

Also: added Dawningphoenix and Darkblade1 from LA, TCM from Van Nuys.

Hmm... like unlimited drinks? Of an alcoholic kind? ... could be fiscally worth it for one of those rooms in the long run. =) lol

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Do you see how much money they lose every year?

But no, they don't give you all the free alcohol you can drink :P

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's way cheaper to just bring yr. own booze.

I'm going to be bring a whole sutecase full this year.

Just make sure that if you get asked if you have a sleeper, say yes. I was asked once, and said I left my ticket in the room. And was never asked again.

Highfire on
  • frobearfrobear Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RE: Portland trains

I just called Amtrak about the Coast Starlight 14 and they said it stops to let passengers off at stations north of Chemult, but not on. I'm trying to reach the Portland station to see if there's any way to make an exception, with just carry-on luggage maybe, but I'm having trouble. I'll keep looking into it and see what can be done. The Coast Starlight 11, South from Seattle on Monday, will stop to drop passengers at several points including Portland, so we can at least join in on the way home.

If (likely) we aren't able to make the Coast Starlight 14 work for us, Cascades trains 500 and 506 are running on Thursday the 28th. The rates are as follows for all points North of Chemult, for both trains:
    Eugene, OR: $42 (506 requires train transfer, 504 to Portland, no additional charge)
    Albany, OR: $38 (506 requires train transfer, 504 to Portland, no additional charge)
    Salem, OR: $34 (506 requires train transfer, 504 to Portland, no additional charge)
    Portland, OR: $28
    Vancouver, WA: $26
    Kelso-Longview, WA: $23
    Centralia, WA: $18
    Olympia-Lacey, WA $14
    Tacoma, WA: $11

There are two options: the Cascades 500, which starts pretty early (especially for those from Eugene, Albany, and Salem) but would require no transfers -- or the Cascades 506, which leaves about three hours later, gets into Seattle at about 4PM, but requires those from south of Portland to take the transfer Cascades 504 into Portland.

Let's see how many Northern Oregon and SW Washington people are interested! PM me with your total number of passengers and your vote for which train to take.

Tentative participant list:
    frobear (+3 friends)
    King Nada ?
    Foxy_Roxy ?
    Viscountalpha ?

frobear on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God damn, is it that time of year already? I need to find a job soon so I can book my train ticket and hotel. Currently broke. Fuck staying at the hostel again this year even if it is cheap. I want to be closer to the action.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What, you didn't like the hookers outside the hostel?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited February 2008
    ctishman wrote: »
    What, you didn't like the hookers outside the hostel?

Was I the only one to see the homeless guy with a cat, playing with a PSP?

I didn't see a PAX pass on him, so I figure he killed some one and took it. He was hangin' out at Freeway Park.

Highfire on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    He was probably the only guy around with a PSP, too.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone probably just gave it to him for some booze.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    That sounds a little backwards. Don't bums usually trade electronics for booze, not the other way around?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    Maybe he was really, really, really high at the time.

Highfire on
  • November6November6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah you'd have to be high to bring a PSP to PAX. Feel bad for the 4 people that everyone made fun of. ;-)

November6 on
    fucos: Past tense of focus, you have already lost focus that you can't even spell focus. Can be combined with shit for impressing anonymous crowds; fucoshit. source: Wil Weaton
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah, scratch me off the WCTT's return trip *this* year. When the wife and I actually sat down and thought about the fact that we'd be there for over a week, we realized that we should probably bring the car for this one. =(

BUT she wants to go to PAX next year if this one's good (she's excited about this one now!), and if when we go next year we'll just go for PAX so we'll take the train both up and back. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    November6 wrote: »
    Yeah you'd have to be high to bring a PSP to PAX. Feel bad for the 4 people that everyone made fun of. ;-)

Uh oh, and to think I was maybe going to get one for the trip. Don't want to be confused for a homeless guy though. :)

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    Get a DS instead. Trust me.

(cue the picture of the sea of DS's at PAX)

edit: found'd
    gamers.jpg

okay, it doesn't really look like a sea in this picture, but trust me, about 85-95% of all PAX attendees have a Nintendo DS

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    Wow. Got that covered though with my launch import DS though. :) Paid way too much for it but at least the hinge never cracked. Would have though there were enough Sonyphiles to make a decent showing though.

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    BTW- Has anyone from last year talked to English? Last I saw him was, right before he got off the train. I know he said he was going to Fiji. But that's it.

Highfire on
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i have. . . he post in another thread a while back
    Maccy wrote: »
    I'd love to go from Australia next year (I'm over here now) but I suspect that the cost will be a little too high - kinda need my money to get home. ;) I'll look into it nearer the time.

to wich i replied
    maccy my good man . . . if need be we may just start a fund to get you on that train . . . i can't speak for everyone . . but I'd donate

and then
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    You guys put Maccy in L.A. and I will buy his train tickets and let him crash in hotel room.

later i got a pm from Maccy saying that though he appreciates our offers . .he won't be able to make it
    Maccy wrote:
    due to Sydney being way expensive and my work/play balance being extremely slanted towards the play side instead of the work side, BUT I assure you I will be there in '09, with bells on, and there will be partying, and there will be ownage. Yes yes.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    edited February 2008
    Awesome, and yes I would have donated to help him as well.

Edit- I keep forgeting, but I jump on at San Jose.

Highfire on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Highfire wrote: »
    I jump on at San Jose.

My wife and I will be on at San Jose as well. EMY is probably closer to us, but San Jose is more accesible by public transit. By the by, why does it take 24 hours by train from San Jose, but were I to drive it would take something like 13? I thought the train would be faster.

SlickShughes on
  • sobjwsobjw Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Me and my buddy will be getting on at Klamath Falls. Totally worth $100 round trip as opposed to gas and parking fees. Plus, it looks like it's way more fun on the train.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I jump on at San Jose.

My wife and I will be on at San Jose as well. EMY is probably closer to us, but San Jose is more accesible by public transit. By the by, why does it take 24 hours by train from San Jose, but were I to drive it would take something like 13? I thought the train would be faster.

The train makes a lot of stops, and I don't think it goes quite the 80 miles an hour you can go in a car. I'm probably wrong about that, but the train has like eighteen bajillion tons to tug behind it, whereas your car weighs maybe 1 or 2. :)

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited February 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    I jump on at San Jose.

The train makes a lot of stops, and I don't think it goes quite the 80 miles an hour you can go in a car. I'm probably wrong about that, but the train has like eighteen bajillion tons to tug behind it, whereas your car weighs maybe 1 or 2. :)

Don't forget get all the 20min smoke brakes every two hours.

Highfire on
    edited February 2008
    Ya know the CCST sounds awesome and I'm terribly excited for it but it's too bad there isn't something like this going from the east coast.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can always fly to LA on the 26th spend the night in the cheap hotel a block away and get the full train ride.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    I could but that takes going to LA and I could live never having done that. :)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • dawningphoenixdawningphoenix Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's wrong with LA? (Besides the obvious, anyway)

The other option is to go to San Diego and hop on the train there. I think it stops there, anyway.

dawningphoenix on
    edited February 2008
    Think you summed it up nicely. I love San Diego though so that'd be all good but meh if I'm going to fly I'll just fly to Seattle. Maybe we should just get a lot of duct tape and cardboard and dress the cars in the CCST up as trains and tape them all together!

ShineyBlueShoes on
    edited February 2008
    if you do that . . . be sure to get some one to film it going by

edit: oh and Charles . . not that it's a big deal or anything but could you put a +1 friend next to my name, for my brother. i don't see him registering an account anytime soon to announce his plans to ride the train.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    DStalefish wrote: »
    I jump on at San Jose.

The train's engine is quite a bit bigger than mine :). The only other long distance train ride I've taken was NYC to Syracuse, and that was 5 hours compared to a 5 hour drive. I know this train is notoriously bad at staying on schedule (it's got like a 2% on time percentage, no joke), does this take this into account?

SlickShughes on
    edited February 2008
    eh yes and no, i'd say . . . the rail way is owned by union pacific and thus the train has to make frequent stops or slow down to accommodate union pacific trains . . and as a result, from my experience, you can expect to arrive an hour to two hours later than posted on a good day

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, they have to slow down quite a bit when going through residential areas. Also, it really starts chugging along when it's going over mountains.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
    edited February 2008
    Oh, also I guess that freight trains get priority over passenger trains as well.

sobjw on
    I live on a farm.
    edited February 2008
    You guys never played Railroad Tycoon? You'd know all about that. :)

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh ya..

Add a +1 for my brother too..

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • RCars2RCars2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow, its barely february and the train trip is already getting organized, SWEET!!! Count me in for jumping on in LA. Havent bought tix yet but definately will.

Definatly gonna be prepared this year, one roomette car, two more warm covering stuffage, three DS FTW! (some of you know my frustration watching you all play on the way up and remising over mine that took a nice long sink to the bottom of a lake, enough of a pain to force me to buy a new ds in seattle, LOL), four my 360 and my pc will be coming with me so we can have access to that the whole way and we can have movie night again (yes i will have a spare DVI cable to avoid that "escapade" again), and five munchkin and a couple expansions, nuff said.

RCars2 on
    carlinsig.png
This discussion has been closed.