As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Black Taurus got hurt in the tag match :/ looked like he blew his knee out jumping onto the turnbuckles for a dive spot

• hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Oh god, that sounds awful.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Of those guys Drake mentioned Kingston is the only one who made it. Necro Butcher is basically too crippled to be in jail, he looks like he's aged 40 years over the last five. Low-Ki basically burned every bridge in the industry.

Also it's possible that IWA Mid South was the most feared company in the business because for like a decade it's where careers went to die. It's where CM Punk, Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero could have a match in front of a few hundred people.

There's something magical about indie wrestling and the love and craft that goes into those shows. I enjoy and respect deathmatch wrestling even but lionizing dudes who haven't been booked anywhere of note in a decade for hazing each other instead of like...going to the gym or learning how to make money by not taking bumps on concrete and glass is real stupid.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The bauty of an IWA:MS show having twelve matches and every show being a double disc release while 30 people sit in the crowd is the best.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Catching up on SDL. Otis shaved his beard and looks like an enormous toddler.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Otis looks like Pee Wee Herman’s nemesis in Pee WWE’s Big Adventure.

Sprout on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I dig the extra context they put into the Martinez/Li match from their original MYC match.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Is it just me or is that case WAY TOO HIGH? Like... these dudes could stand on the top step of these ladders and still be like half a foot shy.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Is Cameron Grimes OK?

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I watched the Dynamite Kid doc for Dark Side of the Ring:

-It is weird that Bret Hart didn't talk on this, considering he has been open on his criticism of one of his once best friends.
    -Tom's ex-wife Michelle is way too forgiving of him, even if I get it. Saying Tom didn't deserve Rouseau punching him in the face after Tom jumped him and beat him in the locker room for no reason is absurd. She also seems very willing to downplay how abusive and shitty he is. I imagine its very complicated for her.
    -At the same time, Michelle was real ballsy to call his bluff when he pointed a shotgun at her, pushing a gun out of her face and yelling at him.
    -Fuck The Dynamite Kid.
    -As for Michelle's argument at the end, I'm not sure how I feel about it? Like yeah there are a lot of shitty wrestlers who are lionized (Bret Hart has been one of my favorite wrestlers forever, and he was a philandering asshole to his wife, but he never beat anyone or threatened to murder his wife), but people like Dynamite Kid did so many shitty things that yeah you can explain some of it with CTE and steroid abuse, but so many wrestlers from that time did the same shit and didn't beat their wives and threaten to murder them and drug other wrestlers, shit in their bag, and then shave their heads, or dislocate the jaws of new guys as a "teaching lesson" in the ring.

Appreciate Dakota's genre savviness there. Someone grabs you from behind? Run first, look back much later. (See green hair: accelerate.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    That table bomb was one of the most painful-looking ones I've seen in a while. Aren't those things supposed to give?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    This match is 4 of NXT’s best wrestlers and Karion Kross.

I have never seen that kind of a non-reaction to the end of a Takeover main event. You can literally see people gathering their stuff to leave.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    never die wrote: »
    I watched the Dynamite Kid doc for Dark Side of the Ring:

I've been real hot and cold on this season of Dark Side. I feel their rhetorical bitchslap of Jim Hellwig was completely deserved and tied as my top program thus far in season 2, along with the Pillman episodes. Dynamite really felt like it needed more room to breath and was weirdly like a borderline hagiography that was kinda critical of the central asshole but was overall far more conciliatory than I expected.

In the Shadow of Grizzly Smith was the most harrowing from a "they did fucking what?!" standpoint (especially since I'd consider pre-teen, middle school me a known acquaintance of Jake and Robin in the early-mid 90's) and I really wanted the show to take the time to explore the living kids of Grizzly finally trying to truly be family with all of them now in early-late middle age. I also wanted some more clarification on plot threads that were left just hanging (like Grizzly's connection or lack thereof to their sister's dissapearancr in '79, etc...).

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    I have never seen that kind of a non-reaction to the end of a Takeover main event. You can literally see people gathering their stuff to leave.

It doesn't help that the NXT main eventers are stale as hell.

I'm really glad Gargano went heel (Even though I hated to see it) since it a least changed things up, but these are people we been seeing for years now.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I hadn't paid attention / seen Kross in awhile, but had friends over for the first time in a year, so we watched the PPV. The last time I'd really seen Kross was in AAA / awhile ago and I remember liking his look there.

Something looked off, here, and I don't know what it is. His head / something about is body looked goofy / not as intimidating as I would've thought.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Killer Kross peaked when he choked out Nick Gage in 2 minutes at Bloodsport and then for some hilarious reason got on the mic and called out Batista.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I kinda feel like this whole "Conspiracy against Kenny Omega" thing is actually pretty funny and in a sane world would actually teach some people something about how they digest information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFPE25ee2w

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    PWInsider says Samoa Joe’s back in NXT with less pay and won’t be wrestling (at least for now)

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I guess he really wanted to stay with the company. Can't imagine he didn't have good offers elsewhere

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I kinda feel like this whole "Conspiracy against Kenny Omega" thing is actually pretty funny and in a sane world would actually teach some people something about how they digest information.

having reflected on it some more, and especially in light of the last PPV... I think... were it not for the predictable and bargain bin antics of the Good Brothers, I would actually be enjoying this YB/Kenny heel stint...

i found the young bucks to be utterly boring in 2020... just... blah, milquetoast, etc. however good they were physically, they just had no character. now they do, and its hilarious. i love the outfits, the attitude, the Young Boy rushing in at every opportunity to apply cold spray. so good on them

similarly with Kenny I didn't think much of him last year, every time they stuck a microphone in his face it always seemed really poorly delivered and just not interesting. the last few of his promos were actually pretty good. i assume he was a bad guy most of his time in japan? because it feels like it comes way more naturally to him as opposed to what he was last year which was basically just "generic beefcake".

just get the good brothers out of here, jfc. they weigh things down

PWInsider says Samoa Joe’s back in NXT with less pay and won’t be wrestling (at least for now)

My friend and I were like 40% sure he would show up last night (WWE posted a "Top 10 Surprising NXT Returns" video that felt suspicious). Now I think he might be the new GM.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Jasconius wrote: »

having reflected on it some more, and especially in light of the last PPV... I think... were it not for the predictable and bargain bin antics of the Good Brothers, I would actually be enjoying this YB/Kenny heel stint...

i found the young bucks to be utterly boring in 2020... just... blah, milquetoast, etc. however good they were physically, they just had no character. now they do, and its hilarious. i love the outfits, the attitude, the Young Boy rushing in at every opportunity to apply cold spray. so good on them

similarly with Kenny I didn't think much of him last year, every time they stuck a microphone in his face it always seemed really poorly delivered and just not interesting. the last few of his promos were actually pretty good. i assume he was a bad guy most of his time in japan? because it feels like it comes way more naturally to him as opposed to what he was last year which was basically just "generic beefcake".

Completely agree. I'm not a fan on Don Callis, if they not have him do commentary I'd be much better with him, but Good Brothers are the majority of my issue with the storyline. They aren't necessary, and while they aren't bad in the ring, they aren't being used as wrestlers, just personalities, and they suck. They feel like why I stopped watching wrestling during the Attitude era.

Also, I don't like how they are handling Brandon Cutler. We're supposed to think he's forgotten how to wrestle or something? He put on some legitimately good matches in the past year. I understand he wasn't winning a lot, but he certainly wasn't the joke that they had portrayed Nakazawa to be. Now he's basically the equivalent of throwing a manager into the ring? I like the young boy cold spray thing, but don't have him pretend he's not decent when he's in a match.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I guess he really wanted to stay with the company. Can't imagine he didn't have good offers elsewhere

Possibly he's also winding down his career voluntarily or not because of injury and he thinks he has more chance of a legacy getting into the HoF.

Yeah, heel Kenny in NJPW had the bullet club (which the good brothers were a part of) but other GOOD people were in it and they had their cool aesthetic and storyline. The Good Brothers as individuals suck, and it turns out that wasn't just a WWE thing.

• eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular

Please be regal’s security, please be regal’s security

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
    Probably the new GM, since Regal basically said he's leaving at the end of Takeover.

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Probably the new GM, since Regal basically said he's leaving at the end of Takeover.

Nah, Regal said it's time for a change. That could definitely mean him getting more hands-on and not letting the inmates run the asylum, hence Joe as enforcer.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227

Yeah the Good Brothers are a complete waste of time.

Also I love heel Kenny. I love most of his stuff in-ring but the V-trigger, in particular, is obnoxious (in a good way) when he's a heel. You just feel sick all of a sudden because your guy just died.

Nirya wrote: »

Nah, Regal said it's time for a change. That could definitely mean him getting more hands-on and not letting the inmates run the asylum, hence Joe as enforcer.

Prefaced by "it's been 7 years" in a defeated tone does not suggest him sticking around.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Nirya wrote: »

Prefaced by "it's been 7 years" in a defeated tone does not suggest him sticking around.

Also the tears.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    But I love Regal :(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Watching NXT...Xia Li just went full on Mortal Kombat character at some point, huh?

uyvfOQy.png
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

Completely agree. I'm not a fan on Don Callis, if they not have him do commentary I'd be much better with him, but Good Brothers are the majority of my issue with the storyline. They aren't necessary, and while they aren't bad in the ring, they aren't being used as wrestlers, just personalities, and they suck. They feel like why I stopped watching wrestling during the Attitude era.

Also, I don't like how they are handling Brandon Cutler. We're supposed to think he's forgotten how to wrestle or something? He put on some legitimately good matches in the past year. I understand he wasn't winning a lot, but he certainly wasn't the joke that they had portrayed Nakazawa to be. Now he's basically the equivalent of throwing a manager into the ring? I like the young boy cold spray thing, but don't have him pretend he's not decent when he's in a match.

They might be overplaying it a bit, but he is coming off an injury, so playing up a little ring rust is fine. Not to mention he wasn't exactly facing competition the caliber of Death Triangle and Eddie Kingston.

xderwsaxganu.png
    Remember when Brandon Cutler and Peter Avalon were a tag team of the biggest losers in AEW and they were desperate to get their first win?

One of the best angles going on at the time and they let that fizzle out to push them as singles wrestlers who now do nothing.

They could have turned them into a legit tag team that slowly but surely figured their shit out and climbed the ladder and eventually had a title match, only to lose and then come apart at the seams and beat the shit out of each other, but instead, fizzle.

Remember when Brandon Cutler and Peter Avalon were a tag team of the biggest losers in AEW and they were desperate to get their first win?

One of the best angles going on at the time and they let that fizzle out to push them as singles wrestlers who now do nothing.

They could have turned them into a legit tag team that slowly but surely figured their shit out and climbed the ladder and eventually had a title match, only to lose and then come apart at the seams and beat the shit out of each other, but instead, fizzle.

Damn they really are competing on WWE's level.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I agree the storyline could have gone longer but the matches between them were really fun.

This discussion has been closed.