As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Every [Economy] evolves to housing, even when it is about cars

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Many Republicans are in favor of a carbon tax that is far too low to make any difference, which $24/ton definitely would be too low.

They get to say they are doing something without doing anything that fundamentally harms their donors. (Especially if they can make it revenue neutral by mailing folks checks and therefore avoid having the federal government do anything)

An aggressive infrastructure campaign might even be "worse" than an ineffectual tax, since it represents creating actual competition for the sectors that consume dirty energy.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Many Republicans are in favor of a carbon tax that is far too low to make any difference, which $24/ton definitely would be too low.

They get to say they are doing something without doing anything that fundamentally harms their donors. (Especially if they can make it revenue neutral by mailing folks checks and therefore avoid having the federal government do anything)

An aggressive infrastructure campaign might even be "worse" than an ineffectual tax, since it represents creating actual competition for the sectors that consume dirty energy.

Fair points. I think the $24/ton is higher than what the Paris climate accords call for, but I agree they're too low.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    On the other hand the current value is $0, so improvement. And probably easier to sell increasing it later than Brand New Tax!

I may be biased thanks to WA's carbon tax fiasco, which thanks in part to in fighting among activists has now been on the ballot twice and passed zero times.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Fair points. I think the $24/ton is higher than what the Paris climate accords call for, but I agree they're too low.

From what I've read the Paris accords don't actually have a set dollar value. They're more 'achieve this goal in emissions, the details of how are up to you'.

One report I found recommended the following:
    Price carbon at a minimum of USD40–80/tCO2 by 2020
    and USD50–100/tCO2 by 2030 to reach the objectives of the Paris Agreement
    So $24/ton is better than nothing, but it's nowhere near what it needs to be to actually get the job done. And the past year has given us copious amounts of examples of the difference between doing what is necessary and doing what is convenient.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    On the other hand, we've seen just how fucking cheap many rich fuckers are. So there is a slim chance that their cheapness and overly disdain for taxes could end up making this more effective that initially though, but even so probably not enough, even if it is an improvement over zero dollars. Also why something over 24 dollars would be more effective.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    On the other hand, we've seen just how fucking cheap many rich fuckers are. So there is a slim chance that their cheapness and overly disdain for taxes could end up making this more effective that initially though, but even so probably not enough, even if it is an improvement over zero dollars. Also why something over 24 dollars would be more effective.

Eh... maybe, but this seems like one of those more basic econ situations where there's a pretty solid number that'll get you the result you want, and anything short of that just won't. The C-Level guys might bitch and moan, but the math on paying the tax vs. cutting emissions in some way is pretty simple, and if it's cheaper to pay the tax then that's what they'll do. Assuming they don't just go trying to cheat on their carbon taxes, pretty sure that'll be at least a few companies' plan.

Plus all the news on the climate change front can generally be summed up as 'Worse than we thought.' so lowballing on the carbon tax is failing on multiple levels.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Never assume people will be rational or smart just because they're rich.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I feel like the true test of this "bipartisanship" would be if they're willing to go above the $24/ton.

I'm realizing now that I think that number is what the generic social cost of carbon was like 5 years ago. Now the feds are using $51/ton as an interim amount until their experts redo the calculations cause of the Trump admin

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Never assume people will be rational or smart just because they're rich.

Hell of a leap from that to thinking that enough companies will spend more on limiting emissions than they have to just to spite the tax man to the point that their efforts come even vaguely close to making up for the fact that the proposed carbon tax is roughly half of what studies suggest it should be.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    These businesses found a way around the worker shortage: Raising wages to $15 an hour or more

The number of times I have seen stuff like this has made me laugh.
    The owners of Klavon’s Ice Cream Parlor had hit a wall.

For months, the 98-year-old confectionary in Pittsburgh couldn’t find applicants for the open positions it needed to fill ahead of warmer weather and, hopefully, sunnier times for the business after a rough year.

The job posting for scoopers — $7.25 an hour plus tips — did not produce a single application between January and March.

So owner Jacob Hanchar decided to more than double the starting wage to $15 an hour, plus tips, “just to see what would happen.”

The shop was suddenly flooded with applications. More than 1,000 piled in over the course of a week.

“It was like a dam broke,” Hanchar said. Media coverage that followed his decision soon pushed other candidates his way.

Pay people a good wage and they will come? Seriously amazing watching businesses discover things like this.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They teach supply curves in high school...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    These businesses found a way around the worker shortage: Raising wages to $15 an hour or more

For months, the 98-year-old confectionary in Pittsburgh couldn’t find applicants for the open positions it needed to fill ahead of warmer weather and, hopefully, sunnier times for the business after a rough year.

The job posting for scoopers — $7.25 an hour plus tips — did not produce a single application between January and March.

So owner Jacob Hanchar decided to more than double the starting wage to $15 an hour, plus tips, “just to see what would happen.”

The shop was suddenly flooded with applications. More than 1,000 piled in over the course of a week.

“It was like a dam broke,” Hanchar said. Media coverage that followed his decision soon pushed other candidates his way.

Pay people a good wage and they will come? Seriously amazing watching businesses discover things like this.

Communism

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/12/fed-remake-us-dollar-493548

I'm not sure how this would work with the environmental impacts crypto has. As much as I hate crypto, the idea that banks absolutely hate it does bring me some joy.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I'm not sure how this would work with the environmental impacts crypto has. As much as I hate crypto, the idea that banks absolutely hate it does bring me some joy.

Or you could just literally have a modern banking system with a government-run payment system. Basically a debit card system run by the government. Maybe even the post office specifically.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Or you could just literally have a modern banking system with a government-run payment system. Basically a debit card system run by the government. Maybe even the post office specifically.

Also just a quick point, a postal banking system like Japan doesn't get rid of private banks. Just requires they usually produce more of an incentive than existing to be used. Again in Japan everyone has a postal account because they are free and work pretty everywhere but there is a robust private banking system and people use them to for perks and stuff like cheaper money pulls from the ATM.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    That could provide unwelcome competition for banks by giving depositors another safe place to put their money. A person or a business could keep their digital dollars in a virtual “wallet” and then transfer them directly to someone else without needing to use a bank account. Even if the wallet were operated by a bank, the firm wouldn’t be able to lend out the cash. But unlike other crypto assets like Bitcoin or Ether, it would be directly backed and controlled by the central bank, allowing the monetary authorities to use it, like any other form of the dollar, in its policies to guide interest rates.

Important to not understate just how big of a change the bolded would be to the economy.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That could provide unwelcome competition for banks by giving depositors another safe place to put their money. A person or a business could keep their digital dollars in a virtual “wallet” and then transfer them directly to someone else without needing to use a bank account. Even if the wallet were operated by a bank, the firm wouldn’t be able to lend out the cash. But unlike other crypto assets like Bitcoin or Ether, it would be directly backed and controlled by the central bank, allowing the monetary authorities to use it, like any other form of the dollar, in its policies to guide interest rates.

Important to not understate just how big of a change the bolded would be to the economy.

Yeah and I’m not saying don’t do it, but this basically sets us back to like early 20th century in terms of private debt

Which might be good! Probably! For most people….but would be just a gigantic fucking change

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

Something I feel like I never hear talked about with regards to the current labor shortage is immigration. My industry's been dealing with a driver shortage for a few years now, long before the pandemic, and a lot of that labor we're missing is immigrants. It feels like the pandemic just got other industries to notice, as people started moving to less shitty jobs with better pay.

Which is why I really don't understand Republican governors cutting unemployment benefits. Unemployment rate really ain't that high, people are mostly working and aren't sitting at home collecting government checks. If you're a business that's used to paying minimum wage and can't find employees now, you need to either lobby to bring in more low cost labor or raise your wages to compete with everyone else.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »

Something I feel like I never hear talked about with regards to the current labor shortage is immigration. My industry's been dealing with a driver shortage for a few years now, long before the pandemic, and a lot of that labor we're missing is immigrants. It feels like the pandemic just got other industries to notice, as people started moving to less shitty jobs with better pay.

Which is why I really don't understand Republican governors cutting unemployment benefits. Unemployment rate really ain't that high, people are mostly working and aren't sitting at home collecting government checks. If you're a business that's used to paying minimum wage and can't find employees now, you need to either lobby to bring in more low cost labor or raise your wages to compete with everyone else.

But, and bear with me here, we just cut unemployment benefits so people would HAVE to take minimum wage jobs so we could keep costs low and we don't care about those people?

Just saying, that's also an option.....................................

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

But, and bear with me here, we just cut unemployment benefits so people would HAVE to take minimum wage jobs so we could keep costs low and we don't care about those people?

Just saying, that's also an option.....................................

No, what I'm saying is even if we cut benefits and get every unemployed worker to work min wage, we still aren't filling the labor gap. We'd need to cut wages across the board to try and get a bunch of people working 2-3 jobs.

• Options

Republicans don't understand healthy business/economic functions, because they don't want to...because they don't care I guess?

I also don't get it.

I like to ART
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's not an economic idea, it's a moral and cultural one. They are against the idea of people getting benefits. Especially people who aren't working. (ie - the "lazy" and "entitled" and what not)

• Options

Immigration has been brought up in a few circles. Saw an article around it as Biden is opening up some of the spigots Trump closed. But at the same time if folks will work for higher pay that shows more so the pay is to low to meet the demand.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Immigration must have been reduced by both Trump being a massive racist and also Covid-19 making people not want to travel.

I assume that decreased immigration is the reason for all the restaurants suddenly gasping for employees because the people who died in Covid were mostly past retirement age.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

Yeah and I’m not saying don’t do it, but this basically sets us back to like early 20th century in terms of private debt

Which might be good! Probably! For most people….but would be just a gigantic fucking change

Maybe that just means the banks would have to give real incentive to use their services instead of being the only option and constantly charging us for access to our own money? Maybe they'll actually compete with each other instead of merging to grow their customer base?

Probably not but it would be fucking nice.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Immigration must have been reduced by both Trump being a massive racist and also Covid-19 making people not want to travel.

I assume that decreased immigration is the reason for all the restaurants suddenly gasping for immigration because the people who died in Covid were mostly past retirement age.

A lot of actions were taken to reduce or stop a lot of different temporary work status visas in the US. These are actions Biden is working to reverse.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

I assume that decreased immigration is the reason for all the restaurants suddenly gasping for immigration because the people who died in Covid were mostly past retirement age.

COVID deaths hit frontline retail and restaurant workers the hardest.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    2 million Americans also retired from the work force during the past year, so materially speaking there are simply less workers. And immigration has been a huge issue for many farmers and manufacturing facilities; they depend on cheap labor to exploit in order to operate. Trump/Covid has been a huge blow in that regard, it's nearly cutoff all legal immigration. It's simply not the same labor pool it was 2 years ago, and there was a shortage then too.

Cutting unemployment will do next to nothing on labor availability, and will actively harm the economies of those states doing it. But they seem to like cutting off their nose to spite the face.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

COVID deaths hit frontline retail and restaurant workers the hardest.

This and a lot of mid-to-high-level culinary talent fled to the catering industry in response to COVID. It's safer and from what I am reading less exploitative.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    StarZapper wrote: »
    2 million Americans also retired from the work force during the past year, so materially speaking there are simply less workers. And immigration has been a huge issue for many farmers and manufacturing facilities; they depend on cheap labor to exploit in order to operate. Trump/Covid has been a huge blow in that regard, it's nearly cutoff all legal immigration. It's simply not the same labor pool it was 2 years ago, and there was a shortage then too.

Cutting unemployment will do next to nothing on labor availability, and will actively harm the economies of those states doing it. But they seem to like cutting off their nose to spite the face.

If anything we will have a very interesting, though no IRB would approve it, case study as it is about half the country cutting benefits early and about half the country not. And we can very much track the two against each other when it comes to employment, the recovery, and wages.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I think it would take a lot of convincing for reducing liquidity of banks and increasing interest rates on lending would be a good thing for the average over leveraged American worker.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

I think it would take a lot of convincing for reducing liquidity of banks and increasing interest rates on lending would be a good thing for the average over leveraged American worker.

I think there are things we all just assume should be paid for with private debt when it’s not always been that way and we’ve built up parts our society around that

Like for example student loans

• Options

If anything we will have a very interesting, though IRB would approve it, case study as it is about half the country cutting benefits early and about half the country not. And we can very much track the two against each other when it comes to employment, the recovery, and wages.

The last two years are going to birth Econ PhD student papers for decades.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

A lot of actions were taken to reduce or stop a lot of different temporary work status visas in the US. These are actions Biden is working to reverse.

An interesting question is: is he right to do so? The current worker shortage is doing to minimum wage what Democrats failed to do: raising it.

• Options

If anything we will have a very interesting, though no IRB would approve it, case study as it is about half the country cutting benefits early and about half the country not. And we can very much track the two against each other when it comes to employment, the recovery, and wages.

Except we already have 10-20 years of proof the austerity doesn't work...much of that data from those same states.

I like to ART
  • Options

Except we already have 10-20 years of proof the austerity doesn't work...much of that data from those same states.

I would disagree this is a straight study on austerity. It isn't cutting for belt cinching. It is political motivated in a way that is more than traditional austerity. On top of that it is a specific type of funding they are cutting while states are still receiving a huge influx of general purpose cash from the Feds.

This will be a dramatic test on if the shortage is the unemployment benefits which is probably only part of it and not a major part after the last year, wages, and power of basically UBI on holding up an economy temporarily. Because the UEI was basically limited UBI.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Ending UI benefits is a purely punitive ideological action by the pubs, nothing to do with money (but also everything to do with money)

• Options

I would disagree this is a straight study on austerity. It isn't cutting for belt cinching. It is political motivated in a way that is more than traditional austerity. On top of that it is a specific type of funding they are cutting while states are still receiving a huge influx of general purpose cash from the Feds.

This will be a dramatic test on if the shortage is the unemployment benefits which is probably only part of it and not a major part after the last year, wages, and power of basically UBI on holding up an economy temporarily. Because the UEI was basically limited UBI.

Plus the fact that it's literally just shorting it a couple months. It's not like the other half of the States are going to get the supplement perpetually. So compare their drop off date with the later one. Did it cause a noticeable change? Plus, you know, a lot of greek maths.

• Options
    Ending UI benefits is a purely punitive ideological action by the pubs, nothing to do with money (but also everything to do with money)

Republicans stake a lot on being the party of economic prosperity (despite their actual history) and they are more than happy to try and tank the economy now only to blame the state of things on their opponents in the next election cycle. They learned from 2010 what you do in the minority matters much less than who's in charge when things are bad.

• Options
    I mean cutting off UI benefits should impact the number of job seekers. Saying wages are too low to entice sufficient job seekers is a supply and demand thing isn’t entirely correct.

A big problem though is that wages are low enough for the UEI to have an impact- capital simply has too much control over this market and workers are forced to take multiple jobs and/or live in greatly impoverished conditions. Capital’s talking points about UEI and the actions many states are taking in response reflect this monopsony.

This discussion has been closed.