As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    That deer, or maybe the park, is definitely an SCP

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I understand that everyone is just having a good time and I'm saying "Teacher, you forgot to assign homework", but like... that is a blurry photo. The deer looks weird but the trees equally are blurry. I would be a lot more nervous if the trees were crisp but the deer was blurry.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I understand that everyone is just having a good time and I'm saying "Teacher, you forgot to assign homework", but like... that is a blurry photo. The deer looks weird but the trees equally are blurry. I would be a lot more nervous if the trees were crisp but the deer was blurry.

Lookit mr glasses over here with his non blurry vision

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I'm never going back to that campsite anyways. I had wierd dreams the whole time, the other campers were aggressively annoying, there's divisive opinions on deer photo(that's not a blurry photo the focus is just transiting on mid) and also the next place I want to camp at has horse riding tours.

TBH I'm a little disappointed that no one has said "But Delduwath, the rest of the photo isn't blurry..."

"But Delduwath, there hasn't been a photo here for 20 years..."

Who is delduwath and why?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Who is delduwath and why?

He was a forumer in the 70s. Died in a thread fire. Weird youd bring that up out of the blue.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    More like Delduwraith

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Edit: sorry Weaver

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Don't make joke edits, reality is already a matter of perspective.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I had a... quadtych of dreams. same story, different perspectives.

First, I was an imp helping a demon gift mortals with ironic deaths.
    Then a kid trying to escape them through an abandoned school campus in the middle of the forest.
    I was a girl who was promised to the demon and was trying to welsh (is that a racist term? it kinda sounds like it should be. (it is)) go back on the deal, but was slowly turning into a demon herself via body horror.
    Finally, my partner and I from The Church arrive in town to clean up after the demon left, presumably with the girl.

my dreams lately are making me increasingly certain that the fabric between realities is fraying around me and I'm gonna wake up in an alternate world in place of alternate me.

Depressperado on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh, The Church knew to go to the town because of SEER, an AI nun that collates news reports, weather patterns, shifts in the aether, etc. to tell us about demonic encroachments.

also we had guns, 9mm, Sig Sauer, I think. but the bullets were silver and dipped in holy oils blessed by the Pope.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    The Yellowstone Hot Springs | A Short Documentary | Fascinating Horror 10:51
    https://youtu.be/qGDLEIg7eIs

geezers

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    The Yellowstone Hot Springs | A Short Documentary | Fascinating Horror 10:51
    https://youtu.be/qGDLEIg7eIs

I'm already subscribed to that channel so I watched that doc a few minutes after it went up. It's a really good channel!

Of that set of stories, I think my favorite is the guy saying "That was a stupid thing I did." I'm wondering if I was in that guy's place and one of my cats were there (note: I would never bring my cat to within any range of Yellowstone, not even in a carrier or on a leash) if I would forget myself so completely, despite how right now, when it's calm, I know the uselessness of such an action. The human brain is a funny thing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    I was a girl who was promised to the demon and was trying to welsh (is that a racist term? it kinda sounds like it should be)

I've got Welsh heritage and I'd never heard of welsh as a verb before - after a Google it looks like that's because over here it's spelt welch

Clearly this is part of a grand conspiracy by the bloody English

I thought it was welch but my mom told me it was welsh lol

Just always assume any colloquial term for being cheap came about from a dark place.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I looked it up, and it's commonly pronounced "Welch" like Welch's grape juice, but it is actually "welsh" and it means to refuse to pay what you owe, or generally screw someone out of money and it is absolutely derived from the belief that Welsh folks are untrustworthy.

It's the same thing as "Gyp"

dangit words, you betray me again

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I looked it up, and it's commonly pronounced "Welch" like Welch's grape juice, but it is actually "welsh" and it means to refuse to pay what you owe, or generally screw someone out of money and it is absolutely derived from the belief that Welsh folks are untrustworthy.

It's the same thing as "Gyp"

It's the same thing as "Indian giving".

Also the same thing as "[common word to refer to a Jewish person that can be benign or horrific depending on tone]"

Almost like whoever had dominion over the language was xenophobic or something.

My mom's original surname was "Welch" before she took my dad's name. It's origins are just that somebody back in her heritage was either Welsh-Irish or presumed to be.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The Office of the Director of National Intelligence just dropped a 9-page document titled "Preliminary Assessment: Unidentified Aerial Phenomena." This is the "UFO report" that people have been talking about for a while now, whose release was set in motion during the Trump admin.

Basically says the usual, they can't confirm or deny a variety of explanations for UAP sightings. They assume that all of them will fall into 5 categories: airborne clutter, natural atmospheric phenomena, USG or U.S. industry developmental programs, foreign adversary systems, and a catchall “other” bin. They also seem to be taking these sightings seriously in terms of general airspace safety and as potential threats to national security.

They also mention that everything from the social stigma associated with reporting that one has seen a UFO, to sensor placement/type, to their reporting apparatus could be hindering their data collection efforts and that more data analysis is required.

I think the most interesting tidbits, and the ones that UFO believers will latch onto, are:
    144 reports originated from USG sources. Of these, 80 reports involved observation with multiple sensors.

In 18 incidents, described in 21 reports, observers reported unusual UAP movement patterns or flight characteristics. Some UAP appeared to remain stationary in winds aloft, move against the wind, maneuver abruptly, or move at considerable speed, without discernable means of propulsion. In a small number of cases, military aircraft systems processed radio frequency (RF) energy associated with UAP sightings.

The UAPTF holds a small amount of data that appear to show UAP demonstrating acceleration or a degree of signature management. Additional rigorous analysis are necessary by multiple teams or groups of technical experts to determine the nature and validity of these data. We are conducting further analysis to determine if breakthrough technologies were demonstrated.

The UAPTF has 11 reports of documented instances in which pilots reported near misses with a UAP

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I recommend "reneged." Very clear non-slur latinate root, you can put a fancy French spin on it if you really want to, and it might lead the conversation to you getting to use the word "renegade," which is always a pleasure.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    that is a good one

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I live in a basement apartment, which is rather nice in the heat of the summer. A few days back, we had a heavy overnight shower, and the next day, there were a couple of those flying ants in my bedroom. I chalked it up to them slipping through the window when I aired the place out, because those things all come out in the same time. So I think nothing of it because it won't last long, they will die soon, and go to sleep. It's not a good sleep, because I keep dreaming I'm being bitten and pinched. I wake up, feeling something tiny drop on my on my head, and when I turn on my light, I find out why. The tiny pavement ants that have probably been flooded out of their entrance, have burrowed through a tiny crack in my ceiling and wall, and are using my bedroom to swarm...right above where I was sleeping.

Thankfully, a piece of masking take worked perfectly to block that entrance, until I can get management to look into it, or take care of it myself.

Muzzmuzz on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Way to harsh the mellow, Muzzmuzz. Dang queens just trying to get their swerve on.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »

I recommend "reneged." Very clear non-slur latinate root, you can put a fancy French spin on it if you really want to, and it might lead the conversation to you getting to use the word "renegade," which is always a pleasure.

While that word does not have racist origins, I cannot think of it without associating it with very racist "do not ren**g" bumper stickers that started showing up to oppose Obama's reelection campaign.

Most had significant spelling alterations.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Was Tree Ronald destroyed… or did he escape?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Some ghostly movements.
    https://youtu.be/Pq3wZAZHPkM

A classic SNL bit about how overreactive ghost hunters get.
    https://youtu.be/Whl7QMTlHm8

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Some ghostly movements.
    https://youtu.be/Pq3wZAZHPkM

Most of them seemed like video artifacts from multiple recordings.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Yeah. The surveillance stuff was probably just from recording media being used too much. The moving stuff is probably practical effects. It is hard to tell if anything is legit.

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    What gets me about this video is the subtitles on the recorded call. I'd like to have an expert tell me how accurate that sort of "enhancement" is, but if it's accurate... humans are terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rKyEiZL3_Q

This one is similar to that one in that there are clearly multiple witnesses to what happened, but they aren't talking and maybe they never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBwl8BIGePE

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'm only a little over 8 minutes into this one and it is a DOWNER for very real, terrible events, but also very spooky for the accounts which followed.

TankHammer on