As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Like I had anxiety disorders and depression before the world wide plague killed millions and the attempted coup in my national capital in January.

I think some people can be forgiven for not all being on the same step in coping with the trauma of the past year and change.

Granted this isn't really the place for it and it does suck to rain on someone else's parade because you still feel shitty.

I think it is also important for USians in the thread to consider that people in other countries also read/post here, who are in different situations with regards to the pandemic as well as accessibility to the first or second round of shots and protection from the variants

It does not read well to have folks from the US who are, in general, vastly more privileged in terms of protection from the virus via vaccines to also remind us of how fucked things are (and quite frankly the forums were real frustrating to read as a non-resident of the US for the past few months, as happy as I was to see many of my friends achieve some level of safety)

Let people have their moments of joy instead of doomsaying, and similarly be conscientious of when they're Going Through It because a lot of people aren't getting round 2 for months at minimum

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Let people have their moments of joy instead of doomsaying, and similarly be conscientious of when they're Going Through It because a lot of people aren't getting round 2 for months at minimum

There's no law saying you can't have a moment of joy and not also be aware that there are variants out there.

In any case, i'm going to continue expressing my worry and fear about them because i am really worried about them and how they will affect everyone no matter the country

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

There's no law saying you can't have a moment of joy and not also be aware that there are variants out there.

In any case, i'm going to continue expressing my worry and fear about them because i am really worried about them and how they will affect everyone no matter the country

You can express that without shitting on a guy who is expressing their own relief

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I don't like the title "Colonel"

It shouldn't be spelled that way

The rank beneath it should be "Semi-Colonel"

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Chicken doesn't need to be put in a sandwich if it's already fried

I think the sandwich format allows for unique flavors that would be hard on a regular piece of fried chicken. Like the spicy sauce and pickles that popeyes uses. That would be a lot harder to eat without the bun to contain everything.

To be sure though, the fried chicken should always be able to stand on its own.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

You can express that without shitting on a guy who is expressing their own relief

thank goodness i didn't do that then!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

You can do that but jokey comments about variants fucking over a successful vaccine programme in a quote from someone living somewhere where they are happy to have some freedoms back is not exactly the most tasteful way to do that IMO

Solar wrote: »

You can do that but jokey comments about variants fucking over a successful vaccine programme in a quote from someone living somewhere where they are happy to have some freedoms back is not exactly the most tasteful way to do that IMO

ah, got ya. that's not actually what I meant sorry. i meant "bring them on" as in " i think we can deffo handle them better than the original"

sorry folks

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I don't think the issue here is that people aren't aware of the fact that there are variants out there

Like, this tends to be a thread full of at least moderately well informed folks

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    All foods are fit to be sandwiches. Fried chicken? Sandwich. Scrambled eggs? Sandwich. Spaghetti? Sandwich.

The sandwich embraces all.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Beanie Weenie sandwich.

Borscht sandwich.

Earth sandwich.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We are all sandwiches on this blessed day.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Alan, my Familiar, doesn't really meow ever, but he knows that when I tell him he can't have a treat or come out on the porch with me, he can let out the tiniest little "mewp" and I'm like "you little shit I can't say no to that."

Depressperado on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Alan, my Familiar, doesn't really meow ever, but he knows that when I tell him he can't have a treat or come out on the porch with me, he can let out the tiniest little "mewp" and I'm like "you little shit I can't say no to that."

Elwood, my familiar, meows a lot. And he has a particularly pathetic, whiny meow. He has perfected the exact pitch or whatever to get my attention and we end up having a lot of conversations like

"Meow"
    "What?"
    "Meow"
    "What??"
    "Meow"
    "What do you want?"
    "Meow"
    "WHAT?"
    "Meow"
    "YES BUT WHAT THOUGH??"

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Elwood, my familiar, meows a lot. And he has a particularly pathetic, whiny meow. He has perfected the exact pitch or whatever to get my attention and we end up having a lot of conversations like

"Meow"
    "What?"
    "Meow"
    "What??"
    "Meow"
    "What do you want?"
    "Meow"
    "WHAT?"
    "Meow"
    "YES BUT WHAT THOUGH??"

clearly meow

they told you in pretty plain english

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    the vaccine rate here is over 50% and places took down their mask signs. I don't know if that's actually high enough but most people are not wearing them anymore, I still need to wait a little over a week before I can.

I noticed my previous place of residence still has 'substantial' covid transmission and a vaccine rate substantially lower. fucking shit hole

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The whole city seems to be almost out of heavy cream

I missed the Nintendo direct looking for some

I was gonna try that "mason jar ""ice cream""" thing. I'm sure it'll take good but since I had to go to Kroger I should have just gotten a Halo top

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Getting my first shot of Pfizer on Pfursday.

And then 14 days after the first shot, I no longer have to get nose-swabbed twice a week to go to work. Yay.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    The beef industry in the US is responsible for over a billion gallons of water use per year, or some astronomical shit like that.

Fuckin' yikes there was a whole 'nother page.

Pinfeldorf on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    the vaccine rate here is over 50% and places took down their mask signs. I don't know if that's actually high enough but most people are not wearing them anymore, I still need to wait a little over a week before I can.

I noticed my previous place of residence still has 'substantial' covid transmission and a vaccine rate substantially lower. fucking shit hole

Yeah Massachusetts is basically 100% back to normal operations now, and the state is at something like 70% vaccinations last I checked, but lower income areas are as low as 50%ish

Incidentally I live in a pretty low income area

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The beef industry in the US is responsible for over a billion gallons of water use per year, or some astronomical shit like that.

we dedicate more land to growing corn for cows than people. it's one of the reasons I stopped eating beef

though it's weird, now that I haven't eaten beef for over a year it's not appetizing anymore

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pennsylvania is basically back to pre-Covid "normal"

A fairly large percentage of the population is vaccinated

Pennsylvania’s mask mandate will be lifted on Monday, June 28, or when 70% of adult residents are fully vaccinated — whichever comes first.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The whole city seems to be almost out of heavy cream

I missed the Nintendo direct looking for some

I was gonna try that "mason jar ""ice cream""" thing. I'm sure it'll take good but since I had to go to Kroger I should have just gotten a Halo top

For some reason you couldn't get parchment(baking) paper at all around here for like four months last year, it just was not in stock anywhere. There were gaps on the shelf where it would go, there were theoretical sales on this unavailable product, but you couldn't actually buy it at any of the supermarket chains.

(also Marmite stopped showing up, though I could still import it from the UK, it's just more of a pain than getting it along with the rest of the groceries)

we dedicate more land to growing corn for cows than people. it's one of the reasons I stopped eating beef

though it's weird, now that I haven't eaten beef for over a year it's not appetizing anymore

93% of all corn grown in the US is used as millet for livestock, with the vast majority of that being for cows. Of that remaining 7%, about a third is used as HFCS, a third is sweet corn sold as human food, and a third is turned into oil for either biofuel or...whatever the fuck else you use corn oil for.

And all of that monocropping is extremely bad for local and downstream ecosystems and the strength of the topsoil. We'd be better off in the longrun if we let half of those fields fallow for a few years and then planted something native to the area to strengthen the topsoil, but nope, the government loves paying these farms to grow a crop that's terrible in 3 ways!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

Pennsylvania’s mask mandate will be lifted on Monday, June 28, or when 70% of adult residents are fully vaccinated — whichever comes first.

It’s at 42% right now. I don’t think they are hitting that 70% by the end of the month.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    First jab acquired.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

93% of all corn grown in the US is used as millet for livestock, with the vast majority of that being for cows. Of that remaining 7%, about a third is used as HFCS, a third is sweet corn sold as human food, and a third is turned into oil for either biofuel or...whatever the fuck else you use corn oil for.

And all of that monocropping is extremely bad for local and downstream ecosystems and the strength of the topsoil. We'd be better off in the longrun if we let half of those fields fallow for a few years and then planted something native to the area to strengthen the topsoil, but nope, the government loves paying these farms to grow a crop that's terrible in 3 ways!

No debate on the monocropping/corn etc. But millet....isn't corn.

Oh I'd just heard it used as a term for animal feed, perhaps incorrectly.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

It’s at 42% right now. I don’t think they are hitting that 70% by the end of the month.

You're right, but with capacity restrictions lifted and mask mandate completely un-enforced,

I will be avoiding as many confined spaces as possible for the foreseeable future

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Yeah millet is a specific plant. You might be thinking of silage, which is a broader term for fermented crops destined for animal fodder.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Mowed thew lawn just now since it is only in the lower 90s (32c) instead of the lower 100s (38c) the rest of the week. And that is before heat index.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Do we not get to have hope now or is it all about how the vaccination program will fail and lockdown will last forever
    hope is overrated

terrified anticipation is the in thing
    Fuck that
    oh, no thank you, i'm full up on anxiety, couldn't possibly
    (actually, the anxiety is mostly managed at this point, just the occasional spikes, so -speaking from experience- fuck. no.)

okay, yes, late to the party, uh
    David_T wrote: »
    Getting my first shot of Pfizer on Pfursday.

And then 14 days after the first shot, I no longer have to get nose-swabbed twice a week to go to work. Yay.
    hey, happy for you, but (for any unaware) full immunization is two weeks after the second shot.

don't be like my dumbass brother in law and get a tattoo (in a different state) and set off on a cross-country motorcycle trip within days of your second jab

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    Tynnan wrote: »

Yeah millet is a specific plant. You might be thinking of silage, which is a broader term for fermented crops destined for animal fodder.

Yeah that sounds familiar! My brain sometimes does aphasic things and I don't realize it.

Getting old rules sucks!

edited June 2021
    I ran over an owl.

I feel so bad. I was getting onto the interstate this morning and on the on ramp suddenly there was just an owl sitting there staring at me. I guess it was low enough to the road my headlights didn't light it up until I was right on top of it. I tried to juke it but I do not think I was successful.

Man, I've never seen an owl in the wild that close up and I when I finally do I fucking killed it. I'm pretty sure I'm cursed now.

Juggernut on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That's a bummer. Roadkilling something always feels shitty.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I ran over an owl.

I feel so bad. I was getting onto the interstate this morning and on the on ramp suddenly there was just an owl sitting there staring at me. I guess it was low enough to the road my headlights didn't light it up until I was right on top of it. I tried to juke it but I do not think I was successful.

Man, I've never seen an owl in the wild that close up and I when I finally do I fucking killed it. I'm pretty sure I'm cursed now.

Nah, no curse. But some poor kid ain't gettin' their invitation to Hogwarts

Well it's probably for the best then, I suppose.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    but sarukun YOU'RE in!

I still don’t give a shit!

That’s why I’m cool.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    First shot get.

I feel like I'm a cast member in "Grease". I'm in my forties and my chills are multiplying.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Since I'm working Saturday, I had today off. Instead of sitting around at home again, I decided to strike out for adventure.

Granted, in this case adventure lay thirty miles north in Guthrie, OK (pop 10,191) but get off my case, this was the first time I left the city limits since Christmas.

Order of operations:
    • Bacon egg and cheese waffle wrap at Waffle Champion, to fortify my strength for travel.
    • Drive to the Oklahoma Territorial museum, which I was mostly interested in because it's built on to the oldest surviving Carnegie library in the state. I was pleasantly surprised! I gave it a 50/50 chance of being a DAR-style propaganda job of Indian erasure, but it appears to be the work of actual historians. The artifacts were mostly related to white and Black settlers during and after the Land Run, but the informative signage was consistently clear that Oklahoma exists because of centuries of profound anti-Indian ratfuckery and that all the Sooners and Boomers were genocidal maniacs and grifters. A low bar to clear, but still refreshing in a state where it hardly ever is.
    • The library was largely unfurnished but lovely. I was the only person in the museum on a Thursday morning, so I prowled around peering into odd corners and spent a few minutes standing behind the reference desk under the rotunda seeing if a Victorian ghost was going to come try and check out an under-the-table copy of Fanny Hill.
      4zzvug6hgayd.png
      ca7t3xc8q5rf.png
    • Evett Dumas Nix beat me to the pun "Oklahombres" like a century ago, and now I feel like a failure.
      o1hub7xazs22.png
    • Then I wandered over to the apothecary garden and Drug Store museum, where I realized that the branding on my own asthma inhaler could be much more badass.
      gxnjzm4wgtbo.png
    • After that, I went and grabbed lunch at the taproom. The burger was fine, but importantly it's the first time I have found Hoptometrist, my favorite local beer, on tap. It was goddamn delicious.
    Anyway, that was my adventure. It's kind of depressing how good it felt to take a half-day trip out of the metro, and I think I'm going to start doing it on the regular whenever I have a day off. If you've got your shots and feel safe doing it, I think you should too!

jhsjx5ftoa7b.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.