As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old Job thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So the institution required everyone to complete one of several modules on sexual harassment, inclusivity, etc. I completed one about "creating an inclusive workplace" before I went on vacation and it was just a clusterfuck. Like, if you grabbed a random clueless cishet white guy who's very active on Woke Twitter but has never heard of intersectionality, you'd get this.

It generalizes based on gender and says to work around differences between men and women. It spends almost no time talking about the issues non-cishet folks face, but does go into substantial length on how to be inclusive of different thinking/problem solving styles. It devotes substantial energy to discussing microaggressions and microinequalities, but never once discusses systemic bias and how to actively combat it.

In short: wow, really bad! Counter-productive, even! So why am I bringing it up? Well, they asked for our feedback! And left a free write field with no character limit!

Ha ha, oops! Hope you enjoy my essay on exactly how and why this module is bad and you need to do a better job next time.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So our principal, in his infinite wisdom, gave out my coworker's personal email to the parent.

IANAL or anything, but giving out personal contact info like that feels like a legal issue. Like this is a perfect example of why unions (I assume teacher unions included) have lawyers.

LegalEagle had a similar thing pop up in a recent video and his summary was basically "Usually not illegal unfortunately, but a real dick move."

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Everyone needs to stop saying they anal in the job thread unless it is related to their job.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh this is so frustrating. So when I was hired on, my former boss decided to enroll me as a test for a new program where IT users don't have admin rights on their machines and have to put in for permission to get a temporary password to install anything. It never worked right, and I could never install any additional programs on my machine that I need. So now were 3 people and I need two critical pieces of software.

Turns out it STILL doesn't work, and they abandoned that project, but never like...changed my settings so I am literally the only person in Security, or IT in general, who doesn't have admin access to their machine and the person who was in charge of that project and set it all up doesn't work here anymore and no one knows what to do. Its been over a year. At this point just give me a new laptop/account.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Holy ineptness, batman

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Holy crikey...should...shouldn't there be some domain admin who could just slot you into the right active directory group or something to give you access rights? Is there no main admin left there???

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    There's always been shitty parents, but I'm seeing more and more articles saying that the walls around a financially secure life are getting higher and higher, which means parents, even rich ones, are less and less sure their kids will make it. They're getting worse and worse in larger numbers.

Sidwell is the DC private school that Chelsea Clinton and the Obama's kids went to, and The Atlantic had an article two years ago about the behavior of the parents:
    School officials have repeatedly warned parents, who represent the pinnacle of elite Washington, about their offensive conduct. In January, the head of the school, Bryan Garman, sent a remarkable letter to parents of seniors in which he demanded that they stop “the verbal assault of employees.” He also reiterated a policy banning them from recording conversations with counselors and making calls to counselors from blocked phone numbers. Garman also suggested that some parents were responsible for the “circulation of rumors about students.”

I can only imagine what it's like being a teacher today versus when I was in high school.

Narbus on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Parents fucking suuuuuuuuuuck

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Zonny do you guys have a union that can intervene and do...something...on your behalf? Your admin situation sounds pretty dire, that sucks friend.

I have to imagine we save the union for the big ticket items (which is understandable, to me).

This isn’t what unions are for, they are there to represent you continuously. I would talk to them.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Zonny do you guys have a union that can intervene and do...something...on your behalf? Your admin situation sounds pretty dire, that sucks friend.

I have to imagine we save the union for the big ticket items (which is understandable, to me).

This isn’t what unions are for, they are there to represent you continuously. I would talk to them.

It didn't happen to me!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hm,

This is the third time someone has asked me what certs to get or things to do to get into Cybersecurity. Which is fine, I don’t mind. But when I ask them what they want to do in the field to give them a good answer they have no idea.

I am not sure how much I can recommend making a career change if at least some aspect of it, like, thwarting a DDoS, doesn’t make your light up like a Christmas tree. I don’t know if just chasing career fads is a good path to happiness.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hm,

This is the third time someone has asked me what certs to get or things to do to get into Cybersecurity. Which is fine, I don’t mind. But when I ask them what they want to do in the field to give them a good answer they have no idea.

I am not sure how much I can recommend making a career change if at least some aspect of it, like, thwarting a DDoS, doesn’t make your light up like a Christmas tree. I don’t know if just chasing career fads is a good path to happiness.

I think there are just a lot of people who are trying to sort out what they want to do career-wise now, especially post-pandemic, but new fields are tough to figure out from the outside

They might just need some more references for ways to learn about cybersecurity in general before they figure out which subsections are of interest

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Hm,

I think there are just a lot of people who are trying to sort out what they want to do career-wise now, especially post-pandemic, but new fields are tough to figure out from the outside

They might just need some more references for ways to learn about cybersecurity in general before they figure out which subsections are of interest

That’s totally fair! And I appreciate the check on my (overly dour in this case) perception. Thanks :)

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Hm,

That’s totally fair! And I appreciate the check on my (overly dour in this case) perception. Thanks :)

No worries!! It's just a common thing in my friend groups right now. I'd say about 1/3 of the folks I know had a frustrating enough time due to the pandemic that they've switched jobs or careers or are still considering doing the same, so lots of folks are putting feelers out to figure out their next step, y'know?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I think anyone even vaguely related to tech or IT gets a lot of people asking "so how would I get a start in X?" People know the pay can be worthwhile, but often don't even have enough background knowledge to know what to google for a starting point.

• Options
    Hah, I think I am just too used to being an English teacher and then construction worker. No one was asking me about how to get into my fields then, so, I think I just need to mentally readjust.

(Much love to both my other English Teachers and construction workers out there.)

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Slide them a DVD of Hackers and a copy of Shadowrun 3ed and tap the side of your nose.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    There's always been shitty parents, but I'm seeing more and more articles saying that the walls around a financially secure life are getting higher and higher, which means parents, even rich ones, are less and less sure their kids will make it. They're getting worse and worse in larger numbers.

Sidwell is the DC private school that Chelsea Clinton and the Obama's kids went to, and The Atlantic had an article two years ago about the behavior of the parents:
    School officials have repeatedly warned parents, who represent the pinnacle of elite Washington, about their offensive conduct. In January, the head of the school, Bryan Garman, sent a remarkable letter to parents of seniors in which he demanded that they stop “the verbal assault of employees.” He also reiterated a policy banning them from recording conversations with counselors and making calls to counselors from blocked phone numbers. Garman also suggested that some parents were responsible for the “circulation of rumors about students.”

I can only imagine what it's like being a teacher today versus when I was in high school.

I would have expected this behaviour to be worse, not better, in parents that have a lot of privilege.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Slide them a DVD of Hackers and a copy of Shadowrun 3ed and tap the side of your nose.

You jest, but GMing Shadowrun 5E and designing security systems in that game is one of the reasons I got into the cybersecurity field.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ugh this is so frustrating. So when I was hired on, my former boss decided to enroll me as a test for a new program where IT users don't have admin rights on their machines and have to put in for permission to get a temporary password to install anything. It never worked right, and I could never install any additional programs on my machine that I need. So now were 3 people and I need two critical pieces of software.

Turns out it STILL doesn't work, and they abandoned that project, but never like...changed my settings so I am literally the only person in Security, or IT in general, who doesn't have admin access to their machine and the person who was in charge of that project and set it all up doesn't work here anymore and no one knows what to do. Its been over a year. At this point just give me a new laptop/account.

The secret final troubleshooting procedure. If a machine cannot be made to work properly, but doesn't work poorly enough to be replaced, the only way out is through.

At Lowe's, that meant the paint desk manager's twelve-year-old cousin dumping a Big Gulp down the back of our horrible old CRT monitor, but I'm sure you have more subtle methods of assassination.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Lot of developers tweeting about quitting over return to workplace that it just isn't worth it

I mean, honestly, there's no reason for it if you've done a whole damn year of work from home. Some economics article was providing some evidence that WFH has a productivity loss and like, okay, but what about the benefits of not commuting.

Anyway at least I know my bosses are doing WFH for the foreseeable future at least

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I would have expected this behaviour to be worse, not better, in parents that have a lot of privilege.

It's basically the crux of why the "varsity blues" scandal came about: wealthy parents of status doing everything possible to ensure that there is no chance that their children land below them in the American "meritocracy"

... well, everything other than raising them with values and ethics and such, obviously

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »

It's basically the crux of why the "varsity blues" scandal came about: wealthy parents of status doing everything possible to ensure that there is no chance that their children land below them in the American "meritocracy"

... well, everything other than raising them with values and ethics and such, obviously

Not sure if the varsity blues is the same thing but UCLA had a biiiiig scandal a few years back with rich parents buying high SAT scores for their kids, slots on sports teams, and yes even admission in general.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Had an interview this morning. I think it went well? Lasted almost an hour and the panel chair said "good question" to a few of mine. There's multiple positions open, so fingers crossed.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Lot of developers tweeting about quitting over return to workplace that it just isn't worth it

I mean, honestly, there's no reason for it if you've done a whole damn year of work from home. Some economics article was providing some evidence that WFH has a productivity loss and like, okay, but what about the benefits of not commuting.

Anyway at least I know my bosses are doing WFH for the foreseeable future at least

My work is doing a very weird thing where they expect us to come into the office 3 days a week and wfh two ish days a week but also we can do a month of WFH.

It’s a compromise that doesn’t seem to really make anyone happy?

You still need to relocate to where the job is and worry about a commute most days (so I am moving a 3 minute walk away from work because F commuting). But you work from home 2 days so you don’t have an assigned desk and have to deal with “agile” seating.

I dunno, definitely seems like a cutting the baby in half decision.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Dude didn't show up last night, have not had conversation with him yet about last night or coming in

How often should i call his phone until i confirm he is coming in or not

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dude didn't show up last night, have not had conversation with him yet about last night or coming in

Hourly?
    Until he answers and/or quits and/or you decide to fire his ass.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Huh. Apparently I'm now considered knowledgeable and experienced enough to screen Resumes for potential hires for a senior role I've only been doing for 2 and a half years myself. I'm choosing to take this as a vote of confidence in my competency.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    My company has launched a new peer to peer community interaction tool, on top of our existing slack - maybe this is more customer oriented, I dunno

They sent me a cheery message welcoming me to the 'community' and giving me a bunch of info I don't care about, and signed off with "looking for more ways to connect?"
    No, you motherfuckers. I already get multiple notifications per hour about company wide meetings, drop in sessions, learning sessions, social sessions, meet and greets for new employees, mentoring skills training, awareness and sensitivity training, diversity and belonging meetings OH MY GOD

I am ideally looking for far, far less ways to connect. I nearly threw my phone across the room.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Soooo... better or worse than academia?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Way worse, when considered purely in terms of being left the fuck alone.

If I actually went to all the things I was invited to attend i could fill up 40 hours per week without breaking a sweat.
    I've compromised by going to almost none of them, including the ones I'm kind of supposed to be at.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

My work is doing a very weird thing where they expect us to come into the office 3 days a week and wfh two ish days a week but also we can do a month of WFH.

It’s a compromise that doesn’t seem to really make anyone happy?

You still need to relocate to where the job is and worry about a commute most days (so I am moving a 3 minute walk away from work because F commuting). But you work from home 2 days so you don’t have an assigned desk and have to deal with “agile” seating.

I dunno, definitely seems like a cutting the baby in half decision.

Yeah I saw that on the hiring thing for the interview. Looks like 3 in 2 from home which is a bummer. :( My current work is full remote so going back to the office is a major negative, but I suppose i can deal with it. Guess I'll have to take it one day at a time.

• Options
    Holy crikey...should...shouldn't there be some domain admin who could just slot you into the right active directory group or something to give you access rights? Is there no main admin left there???

Update: I told my boss I flatly couldn't do part of my job because of this and he finally made someone do this. Took ten minutes, I've been complaining about it over a year

• Options
    Hm,

This is actually a big thing in the cyber security Reddits in on. Lots of people being like "I'm a financial advisor but I hear this is good money and I'm good at computers how do I get in?" And then the don't like the advice they get

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Hm,

This is actually a big thing in the cyber security Reddits in on. Lots of people being like "I'm a financial advisor but I hear this is good money and I'm good at computers how do I get in?" And then the don't like the advice they get

My thing with technology was/is that I don't light up like a Christmas tree until I actually start doing the work, then it's like "Yes, this. This is good."

My current job is an excellent example. If you asked me "How would you like to start doing customer troubleshooting again!" I would have told you "fuck no, get away from me." But so far I've been excited to go into work since I've been doing actual cases. This may have more to do with the quality of the employer than anything, but I do feel like I have an aptitude for this work? It helps that they ran me through a battery of coursework about the software, of course. But on my second case I knew the solution in 10 minutes and one of the SMEs working with me told me I was wrong. Then after a few days of digging and asking other people I found out my 10 minute solution was right. It felt pretty cool, like "ok, my instincts about troubleshooting this software are spot-on" kind of cool.

I really wish more IT shops had an apprenticeship attitude, letting people find their aptitude by working on different things. Instead we're stuck with the certificates system.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Hm,

That makes sense since financial advisors are usually just salespeople, and the overlap between people who are good at sales and people who are good at skilled IT work is not huge. Or maybe I should say people who are comfortable doing sales and people who are comfortable doing skilled IT work. Either way.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I would be very happy if I never had to do anything related to sales ever again.
    Yes, that includes job interviews (where the thing being sold is yourself).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

Hourly?
    Until he answers and/or quits and/or you decide to fire his ass.

Union job, cannot fire him until proper documentation

Too busy putting out fires to notice his shit the 1st night so hes technically only done it once as far as documentation is concerned

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

It didn't happen to me!

That’s bullshit! Dependant on you much effort you want to put into it, but I’d make it clear you are less likely to vote for them in the next union thing.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, the thing about technology is you have to really enjoy boring minutiae you need to absorb so you can build and troubleshoot other people's Legos that don't have instructions.
    Couple that with the fact most devs aren't huge communicators as well as most tech management not being great and there's a bunch of headwinds. However, almost everything depends on technology these days, so we have to figure out how to make it work.
    As for devs and WFH - without giving away too much, devs like it as they can more easily tune out of useless meetings and avoid drivebys/distractions to build the blocks of focus time you need to do effective work.