As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"E3"- it's over!

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Edit: oh god dammit this always happens when I have bad posts

rhylith on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    by the way, bandai namco happened during this conversation

what wasn't clear is that it was just a bandai namco us presser, and their only game was the iraq war horro game

LOL ok then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Its me, I'm the guy who thinks that the Arms Lady and Tekken Guy are lame as additions to the Smash roster. I want cool and interesting characters who aren't already in a fighting game.

Cloud and Sephiroth are both already in fighting games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr4xwvch1hc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TQl4sam2GY

there we go put it in the right thread this time

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    It took me awhile to realize I wasn't actually having fun with BotW

Like I think the traversal system kind of ruined area design, I hated everything about the inventory and degradation, cooking should have been a dang menu, rain and lightning, the really underwhelming dungeons and boss fights

What a bummer of a game top to bottom

EDIT: Oh I forgot I also hated the dumb physics golf puzzle bullshit that felt like a solid third of the shrines

Maddoc on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    i didn't mind the moment to moment feeling of the degradation system in breath of the wild, EXCEPT:

-in the mid-to-late game, or from the very start in hard mode, it incentivized you to ignore fights, because the average cluster of enemies wouldn't have anything good enough to justify burning your stronger weapons. BotW is fairly desolate, and fighting is one of the few things there is to do, so taking that off the table was uhhhhh not great
    -any time you found a cool weapon, like a magic fire wand buried out in the middle of nowhere, any excitment gets immediately undercut by "oh right this thing's gonna break after like 3 fights." This could be fixed pretty easily by just having more kinds of collectible upgrades and/or having very well hidden perma-weapons, or even semi-permanent weapons like hte master sword.

These are the only real problems I had, yeah, and I'm a diagnosed inventory hoarder

I never really felt like I was losing more than I was gaining by engaging in combat, but I can see how some people playing on master difficulty or deep in the late game could have that experience. But the second thing? Yeah that bothered me

Getting a dope fire sword and being like "SICK THIS SWORD IS ON FIRE" and then going "oh wait but it's just gonna break like all the rest... oh......" and then having that happen over and over again with each cool new weapon eventually created a kind of melancholy in me that I wish I knew how they could solve while still keeping their degradation system in place

Because I really did like breaking a weapon and then having to switch! Or losing all my weapons in the early game and then having to disarm and snatch an enemy's weapon, those were cool-ass combat experiences I still wanted to have

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    shifting mentalities can help. instead of "this cool weapon will break eventually" maybe think like "I can use this cool weapon to fuck up a really strong dude", because if weapons were persistent they probably wouldn't be as strong? part of those early game ancient weapons are balanced around being fragile. if weapons just existed forever you wouldn't get anything that strong so early

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    "I can use this weapon to fuck up a really strong dude" = "I will never use this weapon"

Because my brain is broken in many ways.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    "I can use this weapon to fuck up a really strong dude" = "I will never use this weapon"

Because my brain is broken in many ways.

Yeah the thing that has to be remembered in any criticism I have of the weapon-breaking system is that it is the definition of a Me Problem

I think I would have had similar thoughts without video games? But video games as a whole sure didn't help with my desire to hold onto everything just in case I need to fully restore my health and mana one day

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I was about to weigh in on BotW scarcity/degradation/difficulty discourse, but then I remembered that Pathologic 2 is probably my favorite game ever and that I should just shut up

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    the two games where I've ever been really enthusiastic to use rare and also hard-to-replace weapons in spite of degradation have been Witcher 3 and STALKER

fixing stuff in FO3/NV/4 was easy enough that I just kinda used whatever a lot of the time

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    It took me awhile to realize I wasn't actually having fun with BotW

Like I think the traversal system kind of ruined area design, I hated everything about the inventory and degradation, cooking should have been a dang menu, rain and lightning, the really underwhelming dungeons and boss fights

What a bummer of a game top to bottom

EDIT: Oh I forgot I also hated the dumb physics golf puzzle bullshit that felt like a solid third of the shrines

On the other hand it was hilarious when I realized by flipping the Wii U tablet upside down I could roll one of those maze balls straight to the goal.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I'm sure I had plenty of megaelixers when I fought sephiroth, but what really got me out of that habit was in older fire emblems where things had limited durability too. I played them on hard mode and I would get stuck and it's just like yeah I need this silver sword/rescue/physic staff to win now and I stopped doing it. then more and more of those 'super difficult' bosses become easier and easier as you keep doing it less

Jars on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I am way late but my absolute least favorite video game thing is weapon degradation.

I get it in concept but it never ever works for me. I always end up with this annoying obsession with repairing and oiling or sharpening or whatever and it's a chore and I hate it and I'd like games to stop doing it.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    This weapon degradation discourse is the warmup for the next round of From Software game difficulty discourse we get to go through in a few months

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I'm pretty worried about that new WarioWare tbh
    In the previous games, you are presented a microgame, and you do it, and then it moves on. There's no context, no continuing mechanics or anything. In the new one, you are playing as a specific character, and you move them around to play the microgames. You are controlling them, you aren't directly controlling the game. Add to that the fact that they show multiple characters playing the same microgames, and I'm worried about the actual amount of content here since they have to make sure that multiple characters can beat them.

• Options
    I haven’t seen it mentioned somehow, but Final Fantasy Story of an Angry Man does in fact have difficulty settings.

• Options
    Oh my god I didn’t even see Beef Avenger’s post when I posted that hahahaha

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Its me, I'm the guy who thinks that the Arms Lady and Tekken Guy are lame as additions to the Smash roster. I want cool and interesting characters who aren't already in a fighting game.

It could have been Virtua fighter guy.

it still might be.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I haven’t seen it mentioned somehow, but Final Fantasy Story of an Angry Man does in fact have difficulty settings.

Are they called
    -I have to kill Chaos
    -I have to hurt Chaos
    -I have to glower at Chaos

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

This has similar vibes to when I had to do a performance review on one of my bosses and the options were like from "Excellent" to "Good".

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Chall wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

Are they called
    -I have to kill Chaos
    -I have to hurt Chaos
    -I have to glower at Chaos

Nah just easy normal hard.

I have fought like 4 dudes but it’s pretty neat so far. I dunno how I feel about how they laid out the block and parry buttons.

Job system looks like it’ll have a lot of depth.

Other details: there is no nioh stance switching. You set up combo attacks based on how many r1 swings you’ve done then you can hit r2 to spend mp and do a stronger attack based on the combo chains you’ve equipped in advance from job skills. There’s something called lightbringer that’s like a super buff but I haven’t gotten a good feel for it yet. It’s soulslike through and through with bonfires and limited heals and the like. Nioh style gear, but there’s an optimize button.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I love weapon degredation. If I pull a sword out from its sheath and it doesn't render itself unto its individual elements something has gone very fucking wrong and who the fuck gave me a sword oh g

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Other FF Edgelord details:

You can parry enemy special moves and then you learn to use those moves a few times.

The normal dude clothes get replaced almost instantly.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Honestly I'd rather his voice lines get replaced instead.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I don't feel bad about a weapon degrading in BotW cause that just means I get to whip it at some poor Bokoblin's cranium for extra damage and steal their rupees and steak.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I mean it's not terrific that you can't play as Zelda but anyone who got their hopes up about is a rube

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I am way late but my absolute least favorite video game thing is weapon degradation.

I get it in concept but it never ever works for me. I always end up with this annoying obsession with repairing and oiling or sharpening or whatever and it's a chore and I hate it and I'd like games to stop doing it.

Yeah, I hate weapon durability in anything other than like, a mercenary company management sim.

But then again I also kind of hate inventory management, and crafting, and…

Look basically BotW was emphatically not for me but I am super glad they knocked it out of the park for a lot of folks and sequels are coming, but I also hope they create more Zelda games in the style of the older entries as well.

• Options
    I don't get why everyone is dumping on Microsoft's showing
    First reveal of Starfield and release date, Halo looks great and is coming this year, Forza Horizon 5 reveal, Yakuza: LAD surprise drop onto Game Pass, STALKER 2 footage and date, Psychonauts 2 footage and date, Redfall announcement, Atomic Heart footage
    So many people were talking about how Nintendo had to "save E3" despite all sorts of good stuff there

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah microsoft was fine too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone is dumping on Microsoft's showing
    First reveal of Starfield and release date, Halo looks great and is coming this year, Forza Horizon 5 reveal, Yakuza: LAD surprise drop onto Game Pass, STALKER 2 footage and date, Psychonauts 2 footage and date, Redfall announcement, Atomic Heart footage
    So many people were talking about how Nintendo had to "save E3" despite all sorts of good stuff there

People always get weird about e3 stuff, especially when comparing Nintendo to anyone else

• Options
    not playing as zelda ever doesn't really bother me? it's like.. the id of zelda games is that you play as link, and that's all they are ever going to be. just make a new series and base it on zelda as the protag

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    not playing as zelda ever doesn't really bother me? it's like.. the id of zelda games is that you play as link, and that's all they are ever going to be. just make a new series and base it on zelda as the protag

What would you call it

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

What would you call it

Steve

• Options
    I dunno, the princess zelda diaries or whatever

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I mean it's not terrific that you can't play as Zelda but anyone who got their hopes up about is a rube

It is both very funny and very annoying that the first thing we see is her falling down a pit.

• Options
    You play as Link in the sky and on the surface, and Zelda in the underground tunnels/dungeons

there we go, I saved it for you Nintendo

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    You play as Link in the sky and on the surface, and Zelda in the underground tunnels/dungeons

Ah yes.

Link on the streets, Zelda in the sheets.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Ah yes.

Lasbrook wrote: »

Ah yes.

do you think link goes down on Zelda

would miamoto be like "no link doesn't do that"