As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Picard Season 2 teaser is up:
    https://youtu.be/xk9F90wklRQ

EDIT: Whoops, I posted the old one. Here's the new one.
    https://youtu.be/zHMti7u9TBE

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Me: does the queen refer to Picard's romantic life?

Card: disolves to q.

Me: Q, same question

initiatefailure on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Trailer for non-armericans

edit maybe that's an old version? probably

gdi paramount just dont geolock things

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Region-locked trailers. How stupid.

sig.gif
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    so all the star trek shows will be doing time shenanigans now eh?

Hydropolo wrote: »

That's the older one from April.

sig.gif
    Pailryder wrote: »
    so all the star trek shows will be doing time shenanigans now eh?

Which ones in Trek history haven't?

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    2hhw38x8ec3o.png

I guess I hate this show anyway and youtube is protecting me lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    You know talking about Starfleet and its ships made me think about Andromeda, the shitty Herc in Space show with Kevin Sorbo. Now before Kevin Sorbo was made Executive Producer and ruined it for good, it had an expanded universe online in the form of various Websites. They detailed a pretty rich background of how the universe was supposed to work, including how their version of Starfleet, the High Guard, operated.

The Main ship was supposed to be part of a operations group of consisting of Battleships, Defense Frigates, Scout Ships and Supply ships. Just like a US carrier Battle group. It would provide C3I for the fleet and they would support each other in combat. Most of that was thrown out straight from the get go for Herc in Space, but it was pretty interesting.

Andromeda is one of those shows, that after seing nBSG, I secretly want rebooted by somebody that gets what its about. Its version of Space warfare is pretty unusual in sci fi and it could do with a retelling.

http://www.saveandromeda.com/allsystems/ships/shipsindex.htm

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Andromeda is basically a tragedy. The universe building and tone of the first season were something great but the more Kevin Sorbo sunk his claws into the show the worse it got. By the time the intro sequence goes from dramatic to cheesy you know you might as well tune out or you might suffer the unintelligible, cheesy garbage that is the shows final season.

I really wish that guy had just stuck to Christian/fascist propaganda.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I dunno guys I feel like dipping into the Q well is them pretty much admitting they are just in it for the $Nostalgia$.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'm not gonna say it'll actually make for good TV, but at least on paper it makes sense that Q would continue showing up in Picard's life.

BloodySloth on
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Oh, joy, a new trailer came out—I guess it's time for the thread to work itself into a lather again.

Anyway, I dig the new admiral uniform. As you can guess from my avatar, I think the 2380s uniforms are fire.

• AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular
    I dunno guys I feel like dipping into the Q well is them pretty much admitting they are just in it for the $Nostalgia$.
    Q is an integral part of TNG.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Didn't they pretty much declare that up front by saying "Hey, instead of a new Star Trek show, we're going to mine our existing series for anyone who's willing to show up"?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Are they going to make any future Star Trek movies?

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I'm not gonna say it'll actually make for good TV, but at least on paper it makes sense that Q would continue showing up in Picard's life.

Sure, but this only reinforces for me that the whole concept was terrible from the beginning. That final scene with Q, with him done up in all the Encounter at Farpoint regalia? That was the perfect way to cap off that storyline and relationship. I have precisely no doubts that this will fail to live up to that.

If they really wanted to reuse Q, I would have been interested to see how the Abrams crew dealt with him; Quinto's Spock playing against DeLancie could have been really great. But Q doesn't blow shit up, so it was not to be.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Sure, but this only reinforces for me that the whole concept was terrible from the beginning. That final scene with Q, with him done up in all the Encounter at Farpoint regalia? That was the perfect way to cap off that storyline and relationship. I have precisely no doubts that this will fail to live up to that.

If they really wanted to reuse Q, I would have been interested to see how the Abrams crew dealt with him; Quinto's Spock playing against DeLancie could have been really great. But Q doesn't blow shit up, so it was not to be.

Yeah, no argument there. Honestly TNG had one of those endings where you have to be super careful with what you do with the characters afterward, and simply not doing anything is probably the wisest move. Obviously the cat has left the barn on that one by a long shot by now, but still.

There's still a place for new adventures, too, like Worf and Obrien on DS9, where the content is great and transformative and still works within the wiggle room of TNG's ending. It can happen. I don't think it will, but...

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Are they going to make any future Star Trek movies?

The rumor that Quentin Tarantino is making a Star Trek film still won't go away. Every 6 months or so he does another interview that confirms he's still trying to get it made.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I say give it to him, if there's anyone who can miss the point of Star Trek it's Tarantino.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I say give it to him, if there's anyone who can miss the point of Star Trek it's Tarantino.

Tarantino would miss the point, but so did Abrams, and I honestly think just based on the types of movies he makes Tarantino is likely to get a hell of a lot closer than Abrams did. Like, Tarantino movies have single twenty-minute scenes of people just talking at each other. That's what I want from a Trek movie.

Like, damn, you could lift the diner scene from Pulp Fiction and drop it into a Trek episode with Picard playing Jules as the B plot very nearly whole cloth and it'd work fine.

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Tarantino would miss the point, but so did Abrams, and I honestly think just based on the types of movies he makes Tarantino is likely to get a hell of a lot closer than Abrams did. Like, Tarantino movies have single twenty-minute scenes of people just talking at each other. That's what I want from a Trek movie.

Like, damn, you could lift the diner scene from Pulp Fiction and drop it into a Trek episode with Picard playing Jules as the B plot very nearly whole cloth and it'd work fine.

Just look at Jackie Brown if you want to see a more subtle nuanced version of his shtick. I think he's perfectly capable of making a film that would fit with any of the past or present depictions of the Star Trek universe. QT's idea for remaking The Doomsday Machine was perfect. Commodore Decker would be the perfect vessel for a QT character. He's a crazy ranting, raving, power-mad lunatic. He would play so well against the "straight men" of the Enterprise. Hell, with all we've seen on Discovery, you really wouldn't have to tone down the violence or swearing much if at all. There's nothing in Jackie Brown that even comes close to the sheer ultraviolence that was Admiral BugHead in season 1 of TNG.

No, the more I think about it the more think it could not just work but actually be really fucking good.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I want to see a Tarantino Star Trek because I have no idea wtf it would be in the very best way. It would be interesting and memorable and probably good.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    The serial killer from season 7 of DS9 except it's a three hour profanity laden acid trip into madness.

Hevach on
    Ugh, please no. I get the Tarantino appeal, but if he makes "A Very Tarantino Trek" it's going to be hard for me to go into happily. The style of violence he likes is just a huge turn off for me.

I should qualify that, I'd probably be totally down for a QT WRITTEN movie, but let someone else direct.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The serial killer from season 7 of DS9 except it's a three hour profanity laden acid trip into madness.

You'd better like gratuitous shots of alien feet.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    That Picard trailer has been reminding me of something and plumbing Memory Beta I finally remembered: In the novelization of All Good Things, Q was a king in Picard's hand in the poker scene at the end.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

You'd better like gratuitous shots of alien feet.

Best scene of Star Trek VI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2tkyvUoag

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    it would be hilarious if QT actually embraced the setting and made one of the first, in a long time, Star Trek movies that doesn't use violence and only a sunday school level of awkward swearing a la the one with the whales
    https://youtu.be/381IyBdfplo

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Q is an integral part of TNG.

Where did I say he wasn't?

edited June 2021
    Someone running the Star Trek twitter account figured out there are human beings outside of the USA. Working trailer.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    it would be hilarious if QT actually embraced the setting and made one of the first, in a long time, Star Trek movies that doesn't use violence and only a sunday school level of awkward swearing a la the one with the whales
    https://youtu.be/381IyBdfplo

one damn minute admiral

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

If there's anyone who'd miss the point of Trek more then Abrams' it'd be Tarantino. Tarantino has higher skill at directing, but he'd edge lord it like Zack Snyder. I'm curious about how much he'd fuck it up. You know the producers will have an awkward conversation with him about someone saying the n-word.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'd have been excited for a Tarantino Star Trek 15 or 20 years ago, but the man's lost a step. The substance of his older movies—genre movies about genre movies—make them worthwhile despite his crass obsessions. That's just not the case anymore.

Give Taika Watiti or Ava DuVernay a Star Trek movie. Tarantino's just going to do the same thing as Abrams, but with sex scenes and racial slurs.

Of course, Star Trek would be a dead franchise without Abrams, so maybe Tarantino could expand the fandom in the same way.

Here's an interesting theory video I just stumbled upon: Is Sisko part of Section 31? There's a surprisingly compelling argument to be made there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj-3DZtGMjU

sig.gif
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I'd have been excited for a Tarantino Star Trek 15 or 20 years ago, but the man's lost a step. The substance of his older movies—genre movies about genre movies—make them worthwhile despite his crass obsessions. That's just not the case anymore.

Give Taika Watiti or Ava DuVernay a Star Trek movie. Tarantino's just going to do the same thing as Abrams, but with sex scenes and racial slurs.

Of course, Star Trek would be a dead franchise without Abrams, so maybe Tarantino could expand the fandom in the same way.

Tarantino is like 1000x the filmmaker Abrams is. Tarantino at least understand how stories and characters work.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Abrams is not that bad, is just a mediocrity, his movies are ok-ish summer blockbusters.

Tarantino would be actively awful, but then I think that his crass, infantile schtick is unsufferable. Everything he does is the same black humour gorefest with feet fetishism.

TryCatcher on
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Abrams is pretty bad. I'd argue that his movies managed to kill off the movie side of both the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises. Yes, Beyond wasn't him, but Into Darkness really killed any interest I had in seeing a third Trek movie, so I'm putting that on Abrams too. His movies are just so empty that they manage to make the CGI-ridden gibberish that Bey puts out look like masterful character studies that keep people coming back to see Marky Mark crapping it up on the big screen.

A Tarantino movie would be worth it just to see what he does for the casting and the soundtrack.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.