As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old Job thread

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    General work meeting today, two things stood out:
    1. An acknowledgment that staff is under paid and it's costing us talented employees, along with no money to pay more so we need to focus on other ways to retain staff.
    2. We moving up the time frame to return to the office everyone who made plans around all the times they were "VERY CLEAR" that February would be the soonest we'd be back in well lol management misses team building exercises.

Anyway I have an interview Monday so crossing my fingers.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Lot of developers tweeting about quitting over return to workplace that it just isn't worth it

I mean, honestly, there's no reason for it if you've done a whole damn year of work from home. Some economics article was providing some evidence that WFH has a productivity loss and like, okay, but what about the benefits of not commuting.

Anyway at least I know my bosses are doing WFH for the foreseeable future at least

I just want there to be options. I don't want full WFH. I don't want full in office.

I find benefits in both, as do 85% of my co-workers (by internal survey).

Every article out there is just "WORK REMOTELY IN A FOREST OR YOUR HORRIBLE BOSSES WITH NO PERSONALITY WILL FORCE YOU TO COME IN FOR 7 DAYS A WEEK, ISN'T IT CRAZY HOW YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY WANT TO WORK IN AN OFFICE AGAIN?!" and it's all just so... ridiculous.

I'd be OK with 1 day every other week.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    1. An acknowledgment that staff is under paid and it's costing us talented employees, along with no money to pay more so we need to focus on other ways to retain staff.
    2. We moving up the time frame to return to the office everyone who made plans around all the times they were "VERY CLEAR" that February would be the soonest we'd be back in well lol management misses team building exercises.

Ah the problem with staff retention when you have no money for raises is really quite easy. You redo your budget so you can pay your people more. Or you can try random pizza parties. One of those two will be guaranteed to work. Let's see which one they choose.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »

More like "management needs to justify their continued employment/existence". :P

Good luck!

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Well I kept this on the down-low because I didn't want to get nearly as excited for it as the last time, but I had an interview last week for that Project Manager job at an exhibit design company, fully remote (so no moving to Vancouver)

They asked today what I'd be looking for for contract length (with the note that permanent is an option at the end) and checking that I'm okay with a lower salary than I am currently making (I'm at 93k, the job would be 75); I presume there is still one more interview to go but that is a good sign anyway

It's tough to leave money on the table but if this job isn't going to make me extremely exhausted and depressed every day, *and* have the benefits of remote work of being able to sleep in, pay 1/5 of my gas costs, no commute and a lot more office space (read: my house) I think it'd balance out; my employer also has a program where you can take leave without pay for a bit and come back at the end, so there's not as much risk against taking the job if I get an offer

Also the interviewer and I spent about 3/5 of the interview talking about dogs, apparently there is a Slack channel dedicated entirely TO dogs, and the place has near gender parity which is really, really good

Tough to leave mechanical design behind as a career, but I can apparently also contribute to design ideas in meetings too. Maybe eventually I could swing into some kind of hybrid position since it's such a small company, who knows; the real endgame is getting museum experience so I can eventually get work at one of the local ones anyway, and this seems like a good way to pull it off

Anyway! Trying not to get too excited, but we'll see where it goes

That is amazing and I really hope you get it!
    Is there a pay bump from contract to full time?

They haven't said but hard to predict this far out. Maybe?? Might depend on when/how they do salary review.
    Dixon wrote: »
    Def it's always hard to leave money on the table, but full remote is such a boon. I would probably do the same thing in your shoes.

And yeah, like, even just not paying 200-225 a month for gas might even out some of the income loss, honestly. I maybe buy gas every 4-5 weeks now (hurray for super efficient Honda Civic mileage!) so that expense went down to like....40 bucks. Some housing stuff also becomes tax deductible (e.g. power or rent) so I may be able to recoup a bit there too!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Somebody shipped me a cellular wifi station at work and I have no documentation about it at all. Great communication, everyone.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Huh. Apparently I'm now considered knowledgeable and experienced enough to screen Resumes for potential hires for a senior role I've only been doing for 2 and a half years myself. I'm choosing to take this as a vote of confidence in my competency.

... I have just been given access to the folder containing the resumes. There is only one. It is literally the resume of one of the people who did the most to mentor me in this role, kindly, selflessly, and intelligently.

Yes give them an interview why did you even ask?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Well I kept this on the down-low because I didn't want to get nearly as excited for it as the last time, but I had an interview last week for that Project Manager job at an exhibit design company, fully remote (so no moving to Vancouver)

They asked today what I'd be looking for for contract length (with the note that permanent is an option at the end) and checking that I'm okay with a lower salary than I am currently making (I'm at 93k, the job would be 75); I presume there is still one more interview to go but that is a good sign anyway

It's tough to leave money on the table but if this job isn't going to make me extremely exhausted and depressed every day, *and* have the benefits of remote work of being able to sleep in, pay 1/5 of my gas costs, no commute and a lot more office space (read: my house) I think it'd balance out; my employer also has a program where you can take leave without pay for a bit and come back at the end, so there's not as much risk against taking the job if I get an offer

Also the interviewer and I spent about 3/5 of the interview talking about dogs, apparently there is a Slack channel dedicated entirely TO dogs, and the place has near gender parity which is really, really good

Tough to leave mechanical design behind as a career, but I can apparently also contribute to design ideas in meetings too. Maybe eventually I could swing into some kind of hybrid position since it's such a small company, who knows; the real endgame is getting museum experience so I can eventually get work at one of the local ones anyway, and this seems like a good way to pull it off

Anyway! Trying not to get too excited, but we'll see where it goes

That is amazing and I really hope you get it!
    Is there a pay bump from contract to full time?

They haven't said but hard to predict this far out. Maybe?? Might depend on when/how they do salary review.
    Dixon wrote: »
    Def it's always hard to leave money on the table, but full remote is such a boon. I would probably do the same thing in your shoes.

And yeah, like, even just not paying 200-225 a month for gas might even out some of the income loss, honestly. I maybe buy gas every 4-5 weeks now (hurray for super efficient Honda Civic mileage!) so that expense went down to like....40 bucks. Some housing stuff also becomes tax deductible (e.g. power or rent) so I may be able to recoup a bit there too!

They may pay for your internet and cell as well. When our work swapped to WFH they covered up to $75 off each service.

Sometimes there is a stipend for home equipment as well, like a standing desk.

Dixon on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Weaver wrote: »
    Somebody shipped me a cellular wifi station at work and I have no documentation about it at all. Great communication, everyone.

They tried to email you but their wifi was packed in a box.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Well, okay, guess I have a 30 minute call with the production manager next week! I guess she was going to ask more questions over text and then decided by phone was easier instead

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Why is this rice taking so long to absorb? I measured 1/1.5.

Oh, that client i mentioned earlier about the metal door has doubled their patrols and expanded their time range.

I mean, major artery, shit gets real, motherfuckers hulking wonder womaning doors off to get at the valuable pipe innards.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Me: Just gonna write a quick email reply to this tech specs question, should take ten minutes tops and then I can get back to my regularly scheduled work program
    Me, forty-five minutes later: oh god I'm still writing this email, it's 1600 words long, I've revised it four times and I still keep thinking of new info to add somebody stop me

Can you call them? Oh god...just call them.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My boss is hiring, and he's a very good boss. If you have support experience I highly recommend this job, it pays above market for support, and it's fully remote:

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/careers/jobs/technical-support-engineer-remote-20133.html

If you think you want to apply let me know so I can give you the referral link.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    My boss is broadly a decent boss and a good guy. But I had to remind him today that: a) our existing department roles have no job descriptions b) he said he wanted to transition me to a lead role within six month, six months ago, so what’s up with that? c) the new role has no job description either d) I am more than happy to stop doing all the side of desk work this new role requires, if there’s no concrete plan to pay me for it eventually.
    Let’s see if that shakes something loose.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My boss is hiring, and he's a very good boss. If you have support experience I highly recommend this job, it pays above market for support, and it's fully remote:

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/careers/jobs/technical-support-engineer-remote-20133.html

Requirements:
    • Understanding of regular expressions (Regex) and Python scripting

48kfaz1gcsaf.jpg

https://store.xkcd.com/products/linux-cheat-shirt?_pos=4&_sid=a5a7c0845&_ss=r

...when do I start?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

*stares in not having to relocate to Portland*

Honestly even with how much I am loving AWS Splunk is tempting. The long term plan is to move overseas to Europe, ideally the Netherlands, do you know what the overseas opportunities are like with Splunk @Cambiata ?

Though right now my promotion path at AWS seems pretty like, rocket propelled. But even before I saw this post, reading your other posts I did have a little voice thinking “splunk would be cool down the road if my AWS career starts stalling out”

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Night shift has moved on from the auto generated "were short staffed, would you like to work extra?" text to the sloppy crying "please come in we beg of you" texts. Nice to know it will be a shit show when I get there tomorrow morning.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Realtalk has anybody used LinkedIn Learning for anything related to IT at all? If so, what courses were they and how did you like them (were they useful / mostly stuff you knew / completely impossible to retain / etc)

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Realtalk has anybody used LinkedIn Learning for anything related to IT at all? If so, what courses were they and how did you like them (were they useful / mostly stuff you knew / completely impossible to retain / etc)

Yeah I've used udemy/LinkedIn learning/whatever. I recommend checking library as they may have a free resource to use.
    They've been okay. Quality of training ranges. If you learn through YouTube videos, it should be an alright experience. I did a CySA+ class and a Linux one as well. Certainly some amount was not retained but I'm not as inexperienced as I used to be.
    Also I think I'm going to take one on aws.
    And maybe splunk...

PSN: jfrofl

Yeah I've used udemy/LinkedIn learning/whatever. I recommend checking library as they may have a free resource to use.
    They've been okay. Quality of training ranges. If you learn through YouTube videos, it should be an alright experience. I did a CySA+ class and a Linux one as well. Certainly some amount was not retained but I'm not as inexperienced as I used to be.
    And maybe splunk...

Yeah I get it free through work. That's why I'm asking for recommendations. Gonna deffo check out Splunk.

edited June 2021

I used LinkedIn for a few things because I got it for free. I thought their Wireshark courses by Lisa Bock were good. Iirc she is known for having written some of the better wireshark books out there. I also thought their classes on SQL and regex were fine.

For certs I have generally leveraged Udemy more.

For Splunk specifically their entry level cert, core certified user, has free training materials on their official website and that was enough for me to pick up that cert. https://www.splunk.com/en_us/training/certification-track/splunk-core-certified-user/overview.html If you are interested.

Inquisitor on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Honestly even with how much I am loving AWS Splunk is tempting. The long term plan is to move overseas to Europe, ideally the Netherlands, do you know what the overseas opportunities are like with Splunk Cambiata ?

Though right now my promotion path at AWS seems pretty like, rocket propelled. But even before I saw this post, reading your other posts I did have a little voice thinking “splunk would be cool down the road if my AWS career starts stalling out”

We do have support offices overseas, but as far as I can tell the Netherlands office only has salespeople. Norway similarly seems to be salespeople/sales engineers only. The European offices that do have support engineer roles (that I've found form a cursory search, anyway) are in the UK, Ireland, France, Poland, Russia, Czech Republic, and Estonia. Outside of Europe there's also Canada, Australia, China, Singapore and Japan, if you've ever thought of moving to any of those countries.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

And maybe splunk...

For AWS certs A Cloud Guru and Whizlabs made it pretty easy for me to pick up Cloud Practitioner and Solutions Architect Associate. Currently using them again to pick up the Security Speciality. Though I get both free through work.

A Cloud Guru is pricey, but has a month free trial which is plenty to pick up Cloud Practitioner if you are interested.

Also I believe A Cloud Guru has been purchased by Pluralsight, which I have for free for being a WGU alumni, so, maybe something like that can be another path to AWS certs for you.

edited June 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Honestly even with how much I am loving AWS Splunk is tempting. The long term plan is to move overseas to Europe, ideally the Netherlands, do you know what the overseas opportunities are like with Splunk Cambiata ?

We do have support offices overseas, but as far as I can tell the Netherlands office only has salespeople. Norway similarly seems to be salespeople/sales engineers only. The European offices that do have support engineer roles (that I've found form a cursory search, anyway) are in the UK, Ireland, France, Poland, Russia, Czech Republic, and Estonia. Outside of Europe there's also Canada, Australia, China, Singapore and Japan, if you've ever thought of moving to any of those countries.

Some of those would be pretty cool, imo, Ireland and France. Good to know! AWS seems kinda similar where the Netherlands seems less support focused.

I worked in Japan for 2 years and while I loved my time there the work culture is not for me.

I think for now I am going to ride the AWS gravy train for a bit (I can see why they back load me getting all my stocks into year 3 and 4) but long term I think working for Splunk could be really cool, as I have a big interest in stuff like SIEMs for security work.

Inquisitor on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I crooked my back yesterday bending down to grab wheelbarrow handles. I'm so old and broken. Might just lie here in bed until I die.

edited June 2021
    Oooooooooh, new corporate jargon term I hate!

White-Glove Support Expert

It's where the majority of your direct customers are c-suite or similar types of employees so you're expected to treat them with the utmost respect that their station deserves!

... oh please hire me, I promise to treat your very wealthy executives exactly how they deserve.

Just gonna put a big ol' guillotine as the background image on my resume.

Tox on
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I crooked my back yesterday bending down to grab wheelbarrow handles. I'm so old and broken. Might just lie here in bed until I die.

A couple of Wednesdays ago I spent a fairly long time crouched down trying to sever the lower stem of a massive ivy that was threatening to overtake the back of one of the farm buildings and the next day I couldn't put my own socks on, I had to go and see a physical therapist to restore something like normal movement.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I turned two compost heaps on Tuesday. A couple of hours of bending, lifting, and twisting. And it was fine. Then yesterday I slightly reach downwards and my back is all "No, actually, fuck you."

Also, that ivy is just going to grow back. Life is futile and living is pain!

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

It's where the majority of your direct customers are c-suite or similar types of employees so you're expected to treat them with the utmost respect that their station deserves!

... oh please hire me, I promise to treat your very wealthy executives exactly how they deserve.

That's hilarious, like half the stories on /r/talesfromtechsupport are about C-suite, lawyers and medical specialists being absolute bell-ends. To see that come back in actual job descriptions in such polite wording is fantastic, as you do need especially patient folks.

Aldo wrote: »

That's hilarious, like half the stories on /r/talesfromtechsupport are about C-suite, lawyers and medical specialists being absolute bell-ends. To see that come back in actual job descriptions in such polite wording is fantastic, as you do need especially patient folks.

The implication was more that, rather than patience, what they really want is deference. Like, they want you to act like a servant of a wealthy estate would act; like a butler, but more especially like a butler who regularly wears white gloves and bow tie tuxedo.

Fuck all the way off with all of that.

"Very good, sir. And will sir be needing anything else, or shall I leave you to type pornographic search strings into the compose tweet field?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Patiently act deferent? Like, I'll call this moron "my liege" as I open his laptop for him, as long as someone else acknowledges that my act is part of the job description.

edited June 2021
    Qualifications - have the entire run of The Nanny on DVD

e: it's funny because I did IT support in the Army. You learn a certain level of deference when your "customer" is legally allowed to make you do push-ups until you puke.

Tox on
    Now I just want a Kitchen Nightmares kind of show where a charismatically abrasive IT specialist shows up and yells at business owners about how their 2FA is all fucked up and they need to stop trying to save emails as hyperlink icons on their desktop because they're embarrassing themselves.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Now I just want a Kitchen Nightmares kind of show where a charismatically abrasive IT specialist shows up and yells at business owners about how their 2FA is all fucked up and they need to stop trying to save emails as hyperlink icons on their desktop because they're embarrassing themselves.
    "Your business has relied on PCs for the past 30 years and you still don't fucking know the difference between a hard disk and RAM?? If you care one bit about this fucking cubicle farm you need shape up and learn about the tools of the trade" *pulls open cabinet, a box full of old mice and CAT-cables fall out* "what is this? Whose are these? Why are they here? Do you even fucking know what's in here?" *cut to mumbling CEO* *cut to interview with teary-eyed CEO and his wife* "we've been relying on Jeff the IT-man for so long, but Gordon is making us nervous: what if Jeff decides to leave?"

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    "Your business has relied on PCs for the past 30 years and you still don't fucking know the difference between a hard disk and RAM?? If you care one bit about this fucking cubicle farm you need shape up and learn about the tools of the trade" *pulls open cabinet, a box full of old mice and CAT-cables fall out* "what is this? Whose are these? Why are they here? Do you even fucking know what's in here?" *cut to mumbling CEO* *cut to interview with teary-eyed CEO and his wife* "we've been relying on Jeff the IT-man for so long, but Gordon is making us nervous: what if Jeff decides to leave?"

If Gordon Ramsay wanted to do another career swerve and transition his show to "IT Department Nightmares", I would definitely watch that.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    So we gave one of the easier jobs over to contractors a year or so back for reasons and unsurprisingly, they've shit it the fuck up constantly every day since. There is now a lot of pressure to kick the contract company out and return it to the original setup of two, rotating, dayshift employees.

If this happens, there are only four of us in the shop who are currently able to run the post, two of which are already team leads. That leaves my partner and I as the most obvious choice. Ok and technically one random guy in the other department but I don't think he counts.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but for the first time since I've been here I may actually have a shot at a dayshift job. It's still 12 hour shifts and basically the same schedule I'm on now but straight days. It also may not come with a pay cut. Traditionally that job was a pay level below the one I'm at now and I couldn't afford to take it. But if they do what they're talking about doing they may keep the pay level. It's also only one job and one accessory thing I'd be responsible for as opposed to *gestures vaguely a everything*

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular