As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I read something about kids personalities when we were preparing for kid #1 that stuck with me. It was along the lines of, don't assume that your kid will be like you or or your partner, mentally prepare yourself for them to be like your most annoying extended family member. :D

:so_raven:
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I also really just want to put this somewhere: I freakin’ LOVE T’s daycare.

It’s not particularly fancy - it’s actually in a lower socioeconomic zone than where we live, they don’t track a lot of data that other daycares track, their facilities aren’t particularly modern, and every so often when you arrive in the morning, things can feel a little bit hectic. It’s completely, diametrically opposed to how I like to run things - I am not someone that is known for going with the flow so much as I am someone who exhausts every other flow-opposing option before SURRENDERING to the flow. I had my guard up because of this - I’d heard lots of other daycares track everything from the amount and types of food eaten during the day to times for sleep, whereas I’m lucky if ours give us an accurate account of when she slept.

But, folks. I. Love. It.

I think it’s exactly because it’s different to how I run things. It’s been heartwarming and reassuring to see T love such a different way of doing things, and, beyond that, absolutely flourishing in that environment.

She loves everyone there. It took her a bit to get settled but once she figured out that everyone wearing a specific polo shirt was a staff member, she was so much more comfortable. She’s formed attachments with staff in pretty much all the rooms in the centre. She’s actually excited when she sees that we’re in the parking lot at drop-off, appropriately demurred when we leave, and then excited again to see us at the end of the day. Blake does most pickups and says she basically babbles to him the entire car ride home, we presume about her day. She is clearly learning HEAPS - she’ll come back with new sounds and new words (both sign and verbal) and new skills literally overnight… her vocabulary has doubled in the last two months, and her comprehension is just blowing my mind. Like her brain is getting the stimulation it needs there.

I love it. I’m so happy we went with something so different to what we have at home. (We actually chose it over a couple of other options specifically because it has a huuuuge outdoor play area while we don’t have much of a yard ourselves.)

Like I’m not gonna change how I do things. It’s gotten me this far and I’ve accepted my flaws as necessary counterweights to my strengths. It’s just so freakin’ awesome to know definitively that we didn’t make the wrong call in at least one aspect of her life. It’s awesome.

I’ll be so sad when it has to end in a few years’ time. I know greater things await but gosh I might feel the loss even more acutely than she does when the time comes.

This is so cool to read. I've seen similar be benefits with our daycare, though they seem to feel the need to track a ton of stuff. The were flabbergasted when I said no dietary restrictions. I was like just feed the kid? Let us know if she has allergic reactions?

By contrast, our boy’s daycare was very clear that they weren’t putting anything with common allergens in it near our kid’s mouth until he tried it at home. I assume that getting sued by grieving parents after unexpected anaphylaxis is every daycare provider’s worst nightmare.

CroakerBC on
    I know, post-chaining, so bear with me, but this is weird and amusing. We run into the same people on the Daycare Commute, and yesterday one of them asked us to go to the park, impromptu. So we go and it’s only five minutes away, whatever. And we’re talking about our babies and their Ways. And another friend of theirs comes over who is on the board at the daycare, and they mention they’re looking for people, and now…we may be on the board at the daycare?

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I also really just want to put this somewhere: I freakin’ LOVE T’s daycare.

It’s not particularly fancy - it’s actually in a lower socioeconomic zone than where we live, they don’t track a lot of data that other daycares track, their facilities aren’t particularly modern, and every so often when you arrive in the morning, things can feel a little bit hectic. It’s completely, diametrically opposed to how I like to run things - I am not someone that is known for going with the flow so much as I am someone who exhausts every other flow-opposing option before SURRENDERING to the flow. I had my guard up because of this - I’d heard lots of other daycares track everything from the amount and types of food eaten during the day to times for sleep, whereas I’m lucky if ours give us an accurate account of when she slept.

But, folks. I. Love. It.

I think it’s exactly because it’s different to how I run things. It’s been heartwarming and reassuring to see T love such a different way of doing things, and, beyond that, absolutely flourishing in that environment.

She loves everyone there. It took her a bit to get settled but once she figured out that everyone wearing a specific polo shirt was a staff member, she was so much more comfortable. She’s formed attachments with staff in pretty much all the rooms in the centre. She’s actually excited when she sees that we’re in the parking lot at drop-off, appropriately demurred when we leave, and then excited again to see us at the end of the day. Blake does most pickups and says she basically babbles to him the entire car ride home, we presume about her day. She is clearly learning HEAPS - she’ll come back with new sounds and new words (both sign and verbal) and new skills literally overnight… her vocabulary has doubled in the last two months, and her comprehension is just blowing my mind. Like her brain is getting the stimulation it needs there.

I love it. I’m so happy we went with something so different to what we have at home. (We actually chose it over a couple of other options specifically because it has a huuuuge outdoor play area while we don’t have much of a yard ourselves.)

Like I’m not gonna change how I do things. It’s gotten me this far and I’ve accepted my flaws as necessary counterweights to my strengths. It’s just so freakin’ awesome to know definitively that we didn’t make the wrong call in at least one aspect of her life. It’s awesome.

I’ll be so sad when it has to end in a few years’ time. I know greater things await but gosh I might feel the loss even more acutely than she does when the time comes.

This is so cool to read. I've seen similar be benefits with our daycare, though they seem to feel the need to track a ton of stuff. The were flabbergasted when I said no dietary restrictions. I was like just feed the kid? Let us know if she has allergic reactions?

Yeah look that’ll be because if she hadn’t yet been exposed to the most common allergens and she DOES have an anaphylactic reaction to one of them, they are not gonna wanna have to deal with getting your kid to hospital while still having to look after the other kids in their care.

I think it was less amazement at you guys and more concern for themselves and their duty of care.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I've never known any place that allows peanuts. I mean they just don't allow it even if the students don't react to it just because peanut allergies are so dangerous and even the scent of peanuts can cause a reaction in some children.

Are there other allergies that have the same risk for anaphylactic shock that peanuts do?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I've never known any place that allows peanuts. I mean they just don't allow it even if the students don't react to it just because peanut allergies are so dangerous and even the scent of peanuts can cause a reaction in some children.

Are there other allergies that have the same risk for anaphylactic shock that peanuts do?

Shellfish I believe, but that one's a lot easier to avoid.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Shellfish I believe, but that one's a lot easier to avoid.

Pff, I won't use a nursery that doesn't do Oyster Fridays

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    t4dnmon3q36m.jpg

Last photo I promise.

I may have made an error buying him a sword....

It's only an error if you didn't get yourself one too.

What Castle is that?

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I was looking up some card tricks to amaze my kids with and came across this one that involves 9 cards. In the trick, you start by having the K, Q, J of Clubs, Diamonds, and Hearts (no Spades!) in 3 piles, sorted by suit (so all the Clubs together and so forth). You then sort and shuffle them and they magically end back up in their 3 sorted piles.

The fun part is the last step of the trick, you call out to the "Suit Gods" to help get the suits back in order. You use the words Club, Heart, and Diamond (no plurals, all singles, spades breaks the trick). I made the correlation that I can substitute those three words with my family's names; Luke -> Club, Linda -> Heart, and Abigail -> Diamond.

I'm gonna do the trick on them this weekend. It should be a blast. :biggrin:

https://youtu.be/8wFgUa2yAUo
    Jump to 4:52 if you want to see the trick I'm talking about, although all of them are fun.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Someone is teething and running a temperature and is very sad about it. As a result, the rest of us are also very sad, being as comforting as we can, and as it is 02:00, quite tired.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Someone is teething and running a temperature and is very sad about it. As a result, the rest of us are also very sad, being as comforting as we can, and as it is 02:00, quite tired.

Teeth are bullshit

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Teeth are bullshit

I do anesthesia for a ton of oral procedures and teeth are just the weirdest fucking part of the human body. They're basically rocks that fused to your bone, but they also have nerves for sensation.

What is up with that?

And yours born with two sets?!

So weird.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    They’re also our only protrusion out of our skin.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    the last week or two, I had to get some cavities fixed because I hadn't been to the dentist in like, 6 years and also I love chocolate.

the last tooth was in the back (16, I think? top back?) and the cavity was like a cave opening in a cliffside. Just the thinnest wall of tooth between the cavity and the nerve.

they numbed it up real good, but I'm sitting there listening to the whir of the drill and I heard the dentist go "oops".
    and I'm thinking "what the fuck does she mean by oo- oh god my tooth holy shit."
    the remaining layer of tooth was thinner than anticipated, so she accidentally ground her way into the tender inside toothmeats.

she put some kinda medicine in there and then filled the cavity and told me "that should keep it for a little, but we're gonna have to take that tooth out."

I agreed, so next week I'ma go lose my first non-wisdom adult tooth. I feel like a real grownup.

edit: let's make this kid-related!

When I was little, my mouth was like the Sarlacc pit. Just, way too much tooth in a little head. So my dentist proposed that a bunch of my baby teeth get pulled so that I don't need like, expensive work done when my adult teeth come in all higgledy piggledy.

my great aunt thought it was medical torture, and... yeah a little, but it worked. the rest of my baby teeth evened out and when my adult teeth came down, they were straight and nice.

thanks Brushyland, you were a good kid dentist.

Depressperado on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I've been joking with my daughter when I get her to brush her teeth at night. " Time to cleanse the protruding skull bits in your face hole! Your maw needs to have its masticating bones brushed!"
    Mostly because she tunes me out of I use plainer language. But also, she finds it funny.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    I've been joking with my daughter when I get her to brush her teeth at night. " Time to cleanse the protruding skull bits in your face hole! Your maw needs to have its masticating bones brushed!"
    Mostly because she tunes me out of I use plainer language. But also, she finds it funny.

We got some good brushing with "eradicate the sugar monsters!"

Small’s fever has broken, which is good. And he’s dropped a medium sized payload, which is good. But he’s still too teething uncomfortable to sleep, which is bad because he’s exhausted and cranky. And he clearly has another round in the colon chamber, because he’s picking at his food.

Going to be a long weekend.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

We got some good brushing with "eradicate the sugar monsters!"

We've got the Hacki Backi Monsters thanks to a German kids song that's ubiquitous enough to make it across the border with The Netherlands.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ZMy83VSaw

Blake T wrote: »
    They’re also our only protrusion out of our skin.

https://youtu.be/wYj01O7foKw

edited June 2021

Have her watch this video.

https://youtu.be/0bmizxAo4NA

I voiced the toothbrush, floss, and enemies.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The 9 month old is teething here too. We are maxing out the baby painkillers or it would be a complete shit show around our house.

The five year old, I swear he teethed for two damn years. Teeth are totally bullshit!

edited June 2021
    If anyone's kids watch that Smile Squad video, I'll send you a personalized audio clip from one of the characters to encourage them to brush.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2021
    Fevers back, so apparently depending on how he takes to child’s Tylenol, we get to go to the clinic tomorrow or the emergency room tonight.

Excellent.

(This is terrifying, and definitely not how I wanted to spend my long weekend, poor little man)

ETA: clinic tomorrow it is, that’s a relief, of sorts. But he is a miserable boy.

CroakerBC on
    Anyone know if a popsicle brand that clearly labels the fucking color or the popsicle on its wrapper so I don't have to hold up the wrapped goods to the light like some mid 20th century doctor with an x-ray?

United States here.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ummm do they have to be on a stick? because, Otter Pops?

ummm do they have to be on a stick? because, Otter Pops?

Ripley has only had stick based frozen treats so we haven't crossed that particular Rubicon yet, but thank you for the good idea. That'll be the next stop.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i mean, the other option that i can think of would be to just make your own and then you know what went into them.

but i don't have freezer space myself to do that so i can't really speak too much.

Chilling (ha) outside the clinic, because COVID. Little fella responded well to infant Tylenol, fever went down enough for him to sleep. It’s been on a low simmer all morning but might have broken now.

Hoping it’s either a mystery or a confirmed ear infection, because if he has to get covid swabbed again, our long weekend of doing stuff while he goes to daycare becomes a long weekend of looking after a cranky boy. Then we’ll need holiday from our holiday (forgive me the dad joke, I’ve not slept in two days!)

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Happy Father's Day to all the folks celebrating today. I have to share one of my gifts with the group. I love Bobby Brown. He's just awesome, he wrote a Ghostbusters song, Humpin' Around and in his autobiography he talks about having sex with a ghost.

My wife and son got me his bbq spices and my very own Bobby Brown Foods apron!

we4oopapkgyk.jpg

Happy Father's Day. I am celebrating by just about to tuck into an afternoon nap!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Anyone here bought an RC car for their kid lately?

One of the parks we go to has a little RC car dirt track that Athena is always wanting to go to. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for something cheap but not CHEAP.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Small one got covid swabbed. Came back negative, which was good. And bounced back by Monday enough to mostly be himself. Ate our plan to have a bit of time to ourselves of course, but hey.

That first fever was scary. He’s not allowed to be ill again, we’ve decided.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Anyone here bought an RC car for their kid lately?

One of the parks we go to has a little RC car dirt track that Athena is always wanting to go to. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for something cheap but not CHEAP.

It's not a car exactly but we bought our younger kid one of these robots and she's really enjoyed it. It's fast and can dance and tell bad jokes, and has a fart button, it's basically the ideal remote control nuisance.

People, what do use for kid bedding when it’s too hot for a duvet? The weight of the blanket helps but my 5 year olds’ down IKEA duvet is way to damn hot for summer, and since the West coast is getting roasted for a week, I’m looking for ideas.

Corvus wrote: »
    People, what do use for kid bedding when it’s too hot for a duvet? The weight of the blanket helps but my 5 year olds’ down IKEA duvet is way to damn hot for summer, and since the West coast is getting roasted for a week, I’m looking for ideas.

I’m going to sound facetious, but I’m serious: have you tried a lighter tog rated duvet?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Tw: pet death
    Well, the kiddo's hamster died tonight. We got back from vacation the other day and he looked rough. Took him out tonight and all snuggled him, per him, and talked for a while with her about him not doing well. I was planning on bringing him to the vet tomorrow to put him to sleep just to make it painless, but he didn't make it that far. We've had other animals die in her lifetime (two cats in the space of six weeks), but this one was hers and the cage was in her room, so it hits hard for her.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Tw: pet death
    Well, the kiddo's hamster died tonight. We got back from vacation the other day and he looked rough. Took him out tonight and all snuggled him, per him, and talked for a while with her about him not doing well. I was planning on bringing him to the vet tomorrow to put him to sleep just to make it painless, but he didn't make it that far. We've had other animals die in her lifetime (two cats in the space of six weeks), but this one was hers and the cage was in her room, so it hits hard for her.

Ah cripes. Sorry for your loss. 😢
    (I don’t have any advice, just empathy and sympathy)

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

I’m going to sound facetious, but I’m serious: have you tried a lighter tog rated duvet?

Our almost 4-year old moves around too much at night for any type of cover, so we just put him in some looser-fitting socks and a not-too-heavy sweater. We figured that way as he rolls around he’s kind of covered up as he goes.

We also have a thinner blanket that we got from something like Joanne Fabrics… it’s one of the kind where you’re supposed to have 2 layers and tie them together… but we only use 1 layer of it.