As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Okay now do I go through FF7R again now that Intergrade is released or play through Control for the first time? I'm really struggling with this one.

This is why I'm glad I love Overwatch. It remains evergreen.

I'm kinda tempted by Metro Newgen Patch tbh, but I don't want to spend whatever Metro costs.

Also if you haven't played Control yet it's fuckin' awesome. The only thing I hate about Control is the constant "pspspspsps" of the Hiss as you play it. It's meant to be an annoying sound that drives people to madness, and it is pretty fucking grating. To me.

But running and jumping and shooting and telekinesis-ing as Jesse is 10/10.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Okay now do I go through FF7R again now that Intergrade is released or play through Control for the first time? I'm really struggling with this one.

This is why I'm glad I love Overwatch. It remains evergreen.

I'm kinda tempted by Metro Newgen Patch tbh, but I don't want to spend whatever Metro costs.

Also if you haven't played Control yet it's fuckin' awesome. The only thing I hate about Control is the constant "pspspspsps" of the Hiss as you play it. It's meant to be an annoying sound that drives people to madness, and it is pretty fucking grating. To me.

But running and jumping and shooting and telekinesis-ing as Jesse is 10/10.

Yes.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I might do Control first and see how I feel afterward. Especially since I'm playing LAD right now I'll be getting my JRPG fix.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    +1 for Control first.

Also, I keep having to remind myself I need to re-download and continue ff7r. Not the biggest fan of all the side stuff, but it’s mostly great and I should see it through.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm also finally going through VIIR for the first time now (but I already spoiled myself on the big "twist" long ago). I'll give them actual credit for immensely padding out a segment of the game that was what, 4-5 hours long in the original? And it hasn't felt like excessive padding for time either. I mean, from jumping off the train to reactor 5, it's something like ~10 screens and ~10 minutes. And they're two fully fleshed out chapters here.

I keep flip flopping on the combat though. The demo never really clicked for me. Playing the actual game has been pretty good so far. But every once in a while there's an enemy encounter that just stomps me and I'm not entirely sure what I could have done differently. The big issue is that when I'm focusing on one enemy, it gives others free reign to smack me in the back with attacks I can't see. Or sometimes I try to block something and I don't exactly "block" it. I also have no idea if I'm really playing effectively with all 3 party members, that maybe I'm not switching party members as often as I should. It annoys me that the other 2 earn ATB at a snail's pace. ...The flip side to all this bellyaching is that I just beat the Hell House, a boss I've heard many people bemoan... and it was hard but fun, and I felt in control most of the time, a real good ebb and flow feeling to it. I got hit with some clunkers, but I knew how and why. So I'm obviously doing something right. :)

My personal pet theory is the 3rd person action nature to the combat is messing with my mind. In a traditional RPG, I obviously don't freak out when the enemy hits me and I lose HP. That's the game, I can't do anything about that, even with a boss that might do 45% of my health with an attack. With VIIR, it's still very much an RPG with those kinds of attacks, but because of the 3rd person, when I get hit my brain says that I fucked up and didn't dodge or block correctly. That I *shouldn't* be getting hit if I'm playing well enough. But I am getting hit, because even with the added 3rd person action feel to the combat, it still leans very heavily towards traditional turn based combat in many ways. And I'll give them all the props in the world for actually pulling it off.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dang, I'm pretty sure that FF7R platinum is going to remain forever out of my reach. That last VR Mission is beyond me. Kinda wish I knew I wasn't gonna be able to get it before I put all that time into getting dresses. Talk about souring my mood on a game for no reason.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Dang, I'm pretty sure that FF7R platinum is going to remain forever out of my reach. That last VR Mission is beyond me. Kinda wish I knew I wasn't gonna be able to get it before I put all that time into getting dresses. Talk about souring my mood on a game for no reason.

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYWl2PFPYc&list=WL&index=6

Because that guide makes it look easy. Dunno about actual implementation though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Just started up Yakuza Like A Dragon and I gotta say... I fucking love this game so far. I love the combat. I love the job system. I love the story.

Some very quick, non-spoilery LAD tips (that I will put in a spoiler anyway)
    #1: Some job skills are universal. Once you earn them, they are yours no matter what job you're currently using. It is worth leveling a job until you get those skills in your pocket. Freelancer has a couple of really good universal skills.
    #2: If the game ever introduces a place and says "hey we should go there and get stronger", you should immediately go there and get stronger before going further into the story.
    #3: Don't overlook Agility as a stat. It helps you dodge more and attack more often. The only thing better than tanking hits is not being hit and then hitting them twice or three times because they get another swipe at you.
    #4: Check that fucking BREAD yo

Fucking love LAD so much.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I just started Chapter 3 and it's so damn good. I'll keep all of those in mind... I'm sure the game hasn't even opened up to me yet. The way they do the combat is so much fun for me. It keeps it feeling new but also old.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Is it this one?

Because that guide makes it look easy. Dunno about actual implementation though.

Looks harder than they make it seem, but I'll give it a shot later. Hopefully I have 3 Fury rings like it requires, since it's not something I ever bothered using when playing normally.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Is it this one?

Looks harder than they make it seem, but I'll give it a shot later. Hopefully I have 3 Fury rings like it requires, since it's not something I ever bothered using when playing normally.

Gave it a shot, definitely not as easy as he made it seem, just gonna give up on it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I have a hard time describing FF7R as an "Action" RPG when it's like one step removed from KOTOR or NWN. There's a few big tells you can block/dodge and that's about it, you can't easily interrupt your attacks and such to block or dodge every little thing. Meanwhile every important decision is made in a pause menu. Sounds like Yuffie might be a step towards having some useful evasion though.

• Options

Is it this one?

Gave it a shot, definitely not as easy as he made it seem, just gonna give up on it.

Boo. That's frustrating.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If Ifrit is the problem you can make two? of your characters absorb fire, so he's just wailing on you with healing spells while you pound bahamut.

As I recall barrier (or is it wall?) and full HP is enough to survive his countdown attack. So between that and absorbing fire you can just have a lazy, leisurely battle if you want.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Honestly, having played both very recently, I would say that FF7R is to action-RPG as Mass Effect 3 is to shooter-RPG.

The ATB menu is just a different version of the Mass Effect power wheel. But the moving and the fighting is about as 'character action' as you can get.

Javen on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ughhhhh, got hit by Bad Breath multiple times with my Enemy Skill equipped character, but never unlocked it before finishing off the Marlboro. Now I gotta do that whole tough chain of encounters again just for another shot at it :< So fucking annoying.

Marlboro Fights

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYWl2PFPYc&amp;list=WL&amp;index=6

Me with pretty much every FromSoft boss fight video ever.

"Oh, simple, I just dodge the thing and then bop the guy with the sword WAIT WHY AM I NOT DODGING THE THING HEY I CAN'T BOP THIS GUY AT ALL WTF"

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Those damn guide videos. Showing you the end point but not automatically giving you the abilities to do it without learning how to dodge the thing and bop the heads yourself. What's the point of that?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I mean c'mon, it's been 20 years, I still can't just download knowledge from the Matrix, wtf?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Up to wall market in FF7 remake on ps5 for my first play through. So far things that haven’t been so great:

- textures and lighting inconsistency, sometimes phenomenal, sometimes low res and rough (although still overall creates brilliant vistas and environments)
    - some quite basic kind of level structure (though still enjoyable, and kind of evocative of the way you explore in the original, with set “paths” through an environment, still not very impressive next to more open and flexible environments in other modern games), there’s a sensation that there’s like a floor or box, and you’re “stuck” inside it. It kind of works, but also I can’t help but want more from the environments in the next game in terms of traversal and creating less of a distinction between “level area” and “backdrop”
    - The lower tier npc characters look like a different species, like from a different game, combined with super bad lip synching. I hope for future instalments they put more effort into even the minor characters and make them look more part of the same game as the main cast. It’s fine for like npcs walking around, but when you zoom up to talk to like a shop keeper or something it’s very distracting to be greeted with a super generic rough looking npc

Positives, literally everything else. The story is so good, the characters are amazingly fleshed out, I love everything they’ve done and it genuinely feels like a better story than the original, rather than just a padded out one. I love Jessie, Biggs and wedge, whereas in the original game I barely remember them. Jessie especially is fantastic.

The environments and areas are so evocative and memorable, the music is weapons grade nostalgia (with the old tracks being elevated not just riffed on, but actively made better, and some banging and funky new tracks), and the combat system is perfect.

I don’t know if it’s just how they tailor the fights but they always feel satisfying, even the ones that kick your ass. It’s a combination of them putting the effort into making sure the majority of the fights have cinematic and dynamic context that carries into the fight itself. You always know why you’re fighting, there’s always a sense that anything can happen during a fight, but they always give you time to adjust to any new mechanics. Like I’m not sure if it’s as simple as saying that I like this fighting system, so much as I like how it’s implemented the majority of the time, there’s a care and an effort to tune the majority of fights to be interesting in some way. You never feel like any one mechanic takes precedent, but you also can’t totally ignore all the mechanics

Just a joy to play and I’m so glad it sold a bazillion copies cos I just want the whole damn story over as many games as it takes if this is the effort they’re going to put in, particularly in the cinematics and presentation

The standout region and setting for me so far has been the shinra neighbourhood with the attack on the base. It had such a phenomenal sense of context and space, it felt like a real place, and the effort and detail of like after the attack all the emergency services showing up and like crowds gathering and coming out of their houses to see what’s going on. That’s what I want. I don’t want big open empty worlds, I want to feel like I’m in a living world reacting to my actions, even if it’s linear, I want to see consequences and a world happening around me

Also love heideggar, he’s so deliciously EEEEvil

Prohass on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Think I should give up looking for a system till I secure a new apartment to move at the end of summer. Constantly hunting two different things that show as available until the moment I try to acquire them is starting to feel stressful!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I mean c'mon, it's been 20 years, I still can't just download knowledge from the Matrix, wtf?

If I could just upload my hard earned knowledge of how to beat things from hours of beating my head against the wall until I break it, I would. More people might have more fun then.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Well I WAS enjoying Control last night. Until a tornado touched down near my house. And the rest of the night was a severe thunderstorm.

• Options
    Well I WAS enjoying Control last night. Until a tornado touched down near my house. And the rest of the night was a severe thunderstorm.

An Altered Weather Event?

• Options

Sounds like an AWE.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    These games are getting too real.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Control question (possibly spoilers if you're that into them):
    Do I need to play Alan Wake to fully appreciate this? I got this because the PS Plus subscription I never wanted bought the price down to Sure, Why Not. And I got Alan Wake on Steam at some point, presumably for the same price, I don't remember.
    But it's been on my Maybe I'll Pay This One Day backlog pile since then.

Given that headlines like I Just Found Out Control Is A Stealth Sequel To Alan Wake apparently aren't spoilers, I've gathered that much already.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I didn’t play Alan Wake and was only passingly aware of its thing, but loved all of Control, even the part that is most closely related. So you should be fine, imo.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Control is super self-contained and 100% It's Own Thing.

Alan Wake is pretty good though and worth a look if you wind up vibing on Control's atmosphere.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Alan Wake is a very very good survival horror game if you are into that then I highly recommend playing it.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Do I need to play Alan Wake to fully appreciate this? I got this because the PS Plus subscription I never wanted bought the price down to Sure, Why Not. And I got Alan Wake on Steam at some point, presumably for the same price, I don't remember.

Given that headlines like I Just Found Out Control Is A Stealth Sequel To Alan Wake apparently aren't spoilers, I've gathered that much already.

There is an Alan Wake DLC section in Control, that is very obviously cordoned off in its own area and is very obviously Alan Wake. The rest of the game is entirely unconnected.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I miss and long for the Slo Mo Third Person Stylish Shooter Genre to return. Max Payne, Stranglehold, WET - but made for the PS5/SX.

Ray traced slomo shootouts ummmn yeah.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

There is an Alan Wake DLC section in Control, that is very obviously cordoned off in its own area and is very obviously Alan Wake. The rest of the game is entirely unconnected.

There are a couple of Alan Wake nods in the main game, but they exist entirely in the realm of Easter Eggs. The DLC goes hard on making a connection BUT it also completely explains the entire context and would be a perfectly fine introduction to the Alan Wake universe, since you already understand how these crazy events tend to happen, thanks to playing Control.

• Options

There are a couple of Alan Wake nods in the main game, but they exist entirely in the realm of Easter Eggs. The DLC goes hard on making a connection BUT it also completely explains the entire context and would be a perfectly fine introduction to the Alan Wake universe, since you already understand how these crazy events tend to happen, thanks to playing Control.

It's also one of the better parts of the game, albeit a very creepy one.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Alan Wake is a very very good survival horror game if you are into that then I highly recommend playing it.

Eh, I'd put it at middling. The gameplay has a decent core concept but wears it out very fast, the antagonist gets to do whatever it wants while the narration states there are supposed to be rules, and the game lasts less than ten hours and is still padded out. And there's really blatant extra padding in the form of hiding story elements in the Very Hard mode, which is locked to force two playthroughs.

The DLC is honestly the better experience. Takes about as long as the original game and delivers an actual ending and brings in some open-world flavor the original wanted (not a lot, though).

I just really really hope Alan Wake 2 gets to deliver the original game's premise of open-world investigation of a spooky town on a day/night schedule. It's a huge shame that the town they put together got reduced to a handful of linear levels in the game we got, with the "investigation" also being a linear point-to-point deal that's mostly just cutscenes and extremely minimal clue-following. The original game deserved so much to be what it was originally envisioned, not what it was butchered down to being.

• Options
    I disagree with your sentiment. I honestly loved every moment of the first one and I like linear levels. Allows them to focus on nailing the atmosphere. But I'm old and crockety and comfortable with it.

I play AW once or twice a year because I love it that much.

• Options
    I rented Alan Wake. I beat it in that rental period. I didn't hate it. I barely remember a damned thing about it.
    Stephen King wannabe moves to town to write novel. Some... supernatural force is bringing his novel to life I think? The only batteries that exist in the entire town are Energizers.

• Options
    I don't know how well AW holds up, I liked it well enough back when I played it, despite it being too creepy for me. I also liked American Nightmare significantly more, but again, idk how well it's aged over the past decade.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    do you like using a flashlight in games?

If yes, enjoy alan wake

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYWl2PFPYc&amp;list=WL&amp;index=6

I've tried following that guide a bunch of times and gave up on it. I can get to Bahamut but I can never stunlock him and I get wrecked.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg