As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I like Control so much is its backstory and world becomes a real mythos.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    and it’s going fine! But now?
    It’s Tsushima time.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got to the fight with the president’s son in Chapter 17 of FF7: Remake: Interlude and I think I might be done. The combat is kinda a slog and solo fights are very unfun. I looked up the bosses after that and I think I’ll just watch the cutscenes and call it good. I got my money’s worth out of it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I got to the fight with the president’s son in Chapter 17 of FF7: Remake: Interlude and I think I might be done. The combat is kinda a slog and solo fights are very unfun. I looked up the bosses after that and I think I’ll just watch the cutscenes and call it good. I got my money’s worth out of it.

I'd recommend using steadfast block + heal + hp up + some atb gain stuff. Once you know the fight, it's not too bad. Just blade burst the dog and focus the dog down so he's out of the fight and it's a 1 on 1, then braver him when he reloads after blocking his shots.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    That fight was easily the hardest story fight for me.

Took me forever to figure out how to beat him.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    It’s Tsushima time.

Tsushima is legitimately my favorite PS exclusive.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    It’s Tsushima time.

I put aside RDR2 to go back to Tsushima, since I stopped playing it before getting the
    Grappling hook.

And I’ve just been plowing through it. I’m surprised it keeps giving you new stuff dozens of hours into it.

It’s also the prettiest game I’ve ever played. Strolling through cherry blossom woods, watching the wind ripple through the grass on a hill, standing in fields of flowers that stretch further than the games horizon.

There’s times when I just stop and pan the camera around, looking at the environment.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I’m looking forward to some of the more difficult fights in FF7, but that’s cos I’m in love and I don’t want it to end. I find myself saying “it’s ok game you could’ve sent another few waves of enemies against me I wouldn’t have minded! Don’t be so coy!” When I usually feel the opposite way with games and feel like less is usually more

I beat the haunted house fight despite accidentally equipping the same materia types on both characters, so it was a slog but I got it done first go!

Prohass on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    It’s Tsushima time.

I’ve been very interested to check it out, but hadn’t picked it up due to backlog. I just got it as an early Father’s Day gift, so priorities have shifted, heh.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I basically dematerialised into Tsushima Tron style until it was over. And it was over once I'd done everything. I collected and did pretty much everything it was possible to do before doing the final story beat.

At the end, I put it down, and it was finished.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    That fight is the biggest gap between my first and second tries.
    First time took me ages, learning his various attacks (by getting hit by them until I could avoid getting hit by them) and just slowly whittling him down.
    Second time I annihilated him before the music could get to the good bits, which I kinda regret because I love the way it turned the Shinra theme into a mana-a-mano fight theme.
    Rufus actually has incredibly little health compared to other bosses at this part in the game, the trick is to actually hit him.
    My first time I mostly dodged and healed, and once I had a limit break it was enough to kill him.
    Second time I realised that a) Braver instantly staggers him, and b) you can hit him with Sleep and Stop one time each before he resists them.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I basically dematerialised into Tsushima Tron style until it was over. And it was over once I'd done everything. I collected and did pretty much everything it was possible to do before doing the final story beat.

At the end, I put it down, and it was finished.

Yeah that's exactly how it was for me. I got to the final story beat and normally don't go for platinum trophies on open world games but I basically needed only the secret ones and I would be done.

Turns out I am super into Samurai. I need to start collecting some good Samurai movies.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    It’s Tsushima time.

I put aside RDR2 to go back to Tsushima, since I stopped playing it before getting the
    Grappling hook.

And I’ve just been plowing through it. I’m surprised it keeps giving you new stuff dozens of hours into it.

It’s also the prettiest game I’ve ever played. Strolling through cherry blossom woods, watching the wind ripple through the grass on a hill, standing in fields of flowers that stretch further than the games horizon.

There’s times when I just stop and pan the camera around, looking at the environment.

Putting aside Red Dead Redemption 2 is a solid choice.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    My thing with Alan Wake was that, for a game about a best-selling author, his actual writing was terrible.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    My thing with Alan Wake was that, for a game about a best-selling author, his actual writing was terrible.

Remedy has always been the less-offensive Quantic Dream, to me. These are games that love storytelling (or a bit more specifically the style of certain genres) but are bad at telling stories.

Remedy is inoffensive because these are awesome action games with meh stories, or sometimes kind of interesting stories (Control) that are poorly told.

Quantic Dream is unforgivable because these are purely narrative games that have no idea how to effectively communicate a narrative. I really enjoyed hearing about David Cage raving and crying in court recently.

Le Douche.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I platinum'd Control through PS+.

The Alan Wake stuff in the dlc was super confusing but at least I was able to follow the primary story through that dlc...but none of the Alan Wake stuff made sense to me.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

That rings pretty true if you ask me =p.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    vamen wrote: »

Yeah, I just pretended he was supposed to be Horror Genre Stephanie Meyer.

I don't know why, but it seems like almost every game, show or movie that has "brilliant best selling author" illustrates this with absolutely godawful writing samples. Like, this story was written by writers, yes? How is it so hard to not completely suck at it?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to some of the more difficult fights in FF7, but that’s cos I’m in love and I don’t want it to end. I find myself saying “it’s ok game you could’ve sent another few waves of enemies against me I wouldn’t have minded! Don’t be so coy!” When I usually feel the opposite way with games and feel like less is usually more

I beat the haunted house fight despite accidentally equipping the same materia types on both characters, so it was a slog but I got it done first go!

The haunted house fight was a slog for me. I hated that fight.

The other one was (I think) the Sephiroth battle. I'd lost to him two or three times already and got reduced to a sliver of health and was nowhere near beating him and I was like UGH FUCK THIS and just dropped the controller on the couch. Then my fiancée said "No baby, you can do this!" and picked up the controller and just started randomly slapping buttons and wound up beating him. She'd never played the game before.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    It’s Tsushima time.

Grappling hook.

You have to be in a pretty specific frame of mind for RDR2

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    McRhyno wrote: »
    So I stuck with DOOM,
    It’s Tsushima time.

Grappling hook.

You have to be in a pretty specific frame of mind for RDR2

"What matters to me right now is the fidelity of the simulation."

"Not gameplay?"

"No."

"Not like, fun at all?"

"No. I need a gorgeously realized world, with cowboy hats and horses, the end."

I wish I could get to that place. Every time I try to replay RDR2 I get out of the mountains, sigh "it's not going to start getting any funner" and go back to Overwatch. For all the complaints about Cyberpunk, I actually completed like 4 replays of it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Then my fiancée said "No baby, you can do this!" and picked up the controller and just started randomly slapping buttons and wound up beating him. She'd never played the game before.

Maybe she's born with it, or maybe it's Mabelline.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The other one was (I think) the Sephiroth battle. I'd lost to him two or three times already and got reduced to a sliver of health and was nowhere near beating him and I was like UGH FUCK THIS and just dropped the controller on the couch. Then my fiancée said "No baby, you can do this!" and picked up the controller and just started randomly slapping buttons and wound up beating him. She'd never played the game before.

A useful life lesson. Sometimes victory is gained by simply forging onwards anyway.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

A useful life lesson. Sometimes victory is gained by simply forging onwards anyway.

When you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I actually enjoy what I was playing in RDR2, it's just that I have a lot of trouble sticking to one game so I swap a lot, and I realized I wanted to do some Samurai fighting.

However, going back to Tsushima did make me realize why I was randomly shooting friendly people in the face in RDR 2.

In Tsushima, R2 is 'Interact' and 'Talk to Person'.

In RDR 2, R2 is 'Quickdraw shoot them in the face'.

So I'd go up to someone, want to interact with them, and immediately shoot them in the face. I ended up having to play with no fingers on the right bumper and trigger, which feels super weird.

• Options
    I really wanted to like RDR2. I really did. I played it for maybe 12 hours, and marveled at how pretty and detailed it was, how many things there were to do, and then I was in the middle of a very well realized Dude Taking a Bath simulator and i suddenly realized I didn't enjoy a single activity in this game.

Luckily I was playing it on GamePass, so it cost me nothing.

I am glad that many people have derived many hours of joy from this game, and it seems like it had a good story, but it's Just Not For Me.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I loathe gta and rockstar in genera, but RDR2 is one of my all time favourite games. I lived in that mother fucker

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I don't know why, but it seems like almost every game, show or movie that has "brilliant best selling author" illustrates this with absolutely godawful writing samples. Like, this story was written by writers, yes? How is it so hard to not completely suck at it?

If you had a list of ten things that people who play games regularly would prioritize, good writing/stories would at least be in the top half. If you had the same list from the kinds of corporate fuckheads that gut games like Alan Wake to turn them from interesting investigative games into mediocre linear shooters, good writing/stories wouldn't even earn a placing.

Alan Wake was subjected to some major corporate fuckery, which is why the bulk of the story is actually in the dumb pages you have to pick up rather than in the game itself. Chop something like that down to an action game and it's kind of surprising a semi-coherent story even survives, much less comes through with quality.

Which is probably part of why I like American Nightmare more as that got all the story made for it so its story is put together much better, rather than having all the meat of a much larger story butchered down to a bare skeleton to link cutscenes and levels.

• Options
    If they did think story were important we'd get a bunch of games written by that guy who wrote The Beach.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I died in Ratchet and Clank and the game would not load back up. My first crash on the PS5.
    The PS5 locked up when I tried to restart. I had to hold the power button and power it down.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I died in Ratchet and Clank and the game would not load back up. My first crash on the PS5.
    The PS5 locked up when I tried to restart. I had to hold the power button and power it down.

I've had that with Rift Apart - once. Just nod to whatever diety you favor and keep on truckin'.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

If you had a list of ten things that people who play games regularly would prioritize, good writing/stories would at least be in the top half. If you had the same list from the kinds of corporate fuckheads that gut games like Alan Wake to turn them from interesting investigative games into mediocre linear shooters, good writing/stories wouldn't even earn a placing.

Alan Wake was subjected to some major corporate fuckery, which is why the bulk of the story is actually in the dumb pages you have to pick up rather than in the game itself. Chop something like that down to an action game and it's kind of surprising a semi-coherent story even survives, much less comes through with quality.

Which is probably part of why I like American Nightmare more as that got all the story made for it so its story is put together much better, rather than having all the meat of a much larger story butchered down to a bare skeleton to link cutscenes and levels.

The thing is, what game players are willing to CALL a good story is quite different from what it would take in a movie or book. Like... most people would say that Alan Wake had a GREAT story, from their memory. Because the throughline of "writer's horror book villains come to life to make his life hell" is a lot more of an intriguing premise than 90% of what many games are working with. The fact that it has pacing problems and some of the best developments are in the DLC is the main issue I would have with it, not that it's a linear shooter (Remedy pretty much... mostly makes that kind of game?)

• Options
    The PS5 does get pretty toasty.

• Options

The thing is, what game players are willing to CALL a good story is quite different from what it would take in a movie or book. Like... most people would say that Alan Wake had a GREAT story, from their memory. Because the throughline of "writer's horror book villains come to life to make his life hell" is a lot more of an intriguing premise than 90% of what many games are working with. The fact that it has pacing problems and some of the best developments are in the DLC is the main issue I would have with it, not that it's a linear shooter (Remedy pretty much... mostly makes that kind of game?)

We're not far removed from the era where "having a good story" mostly meant "actually has ANY story". FFVII was hyped as one of the best written games ever when it came out. And it was. But it was still crappily written, sophomoric twaddle that only occasionally made sense and had atrocious dialogue.

These days, the best written games are actually well written. But they're still the minority.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Returnal is down to 50.00 at Amazon and Best Buy.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/1406869852757774339

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wario64/status/1406842176596680707

I figured it wouldn't take long for this to go down in price. I might pick it up finally.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Returnal is one of those games where the difficulty affects it's sales.

• Options
    For me it's less the difficulty than the need to have three hours or so to play it. It needs a time investment.

• Options
    Bold of you to assume you won't die lol

• Options
    That's the problem. If I do die an hour in that's it. I won't have time for another good run, and if I get one and have to stop before finishing it, that's more annoying than dying. Ergo, I spend the remaining two hours playing something else.

• Options
    I was just making a joke that you assume that you have 3 hours of gameplay where you simply won't die.