As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Playstation 5] Out Now! Happy Hunting.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    I miss and long for the Slo Mo Third Person Stylish Shooter Genre to return. Max Payne, Stranglehold, WET - but made for the PS5/SX.

Ray traced slomo shootouts ummmn yeah.

That's why I love the sniper elite games - slo-mo Nazi kills never get boring

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Nice sales on Amazon. $30 for Sackboy on PS5 is much more like what I wanted to spend.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    *cries in prime day being cancelled in canada this year* I've been waiting for a decent sackboy sale since i got my ps5 in december dammit :(

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I miss and long for the Slo Mo Third Person Stylish Shooter Genre to return. Max Payne, Stranglehold, WET - but made for the PS5/SX.

Its one of the few games/series I don't mind competitive MP in. Because with all the settings tweaked to realistic you actually have to know how to use mill dots and eyeball basic trig/angle analysis to take shots at more than 100m and throws lots of people that are used to aim assistance out the ass and/or hit scan bullshit way off their game.

And unloading with an unsurpressed Mosin Nagant makes me feel like Zaitzev or Hayah.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Returnal is one of those games where the difficulty affects it's sales.

I think it also launching at 90 fucking dollars in canada is also affecting sales
    *cries in prime day being cancelled in canada this year* I've been waiting for a decent sackboy sale since i got my ps5 in december dammit :(

eh, we never get those good deals up here anyways

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I was just making a joke that you assume that you have 3 hours of gameplay where you simply won't die.

One of the first times I got significantly far in Spelunky was when I had a friend round and I wanted to quickly demonstrate the game so I hopped into the daily challenge

20 minutes later I was pretty sure she'd grasped the concept

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I was just making a joke that you assume that you have 3 hours of gameplay where you simply won't die.

One of the first times I got significantly far in Spelunky was when I had a friend round and I wanted to quickly demonstrate the game so I hopped into the daily challenge

20 minutes later I was pretty sure she'd grasped the concept

This is how it was for Returnal for me. I started a new run to show my buddy the game and 45 minutes later I killed 2 of the bosses lol

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Oh my god the vista in chapter 15 of FF7 remake

Prohass on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I can't stand how every single one of them degrades into way, way too much close combat.

Sniping is hitting a guy from hundreds of meters off, which the games rarely actually allow. They'll give you something like one of those shots during a whole mission, if that many, and then all the rest are sub-200m stuff that is really just regular rifle combat. Nevermind how often they expect you to actually just do some plain third-person commando stuff with an outright machine gun, shooting up people within fifty feet.

• Options
    One of my pet peeves with the sniper elite is all that goretastic headshot viscera explosions don’t actually impact the real world. Ie, the bodies of guys you’ve headshot exploded are actually completely in tact, it’s all basically like a mini cutscene. Like it’s nothing major but once I realised that it took some of the fun out of it for me. I may just be sick in that way

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Headshots? I killed my way through those Nazis by blowing their testicles off.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

And yet if you check their bodies, the nazi testiculs remain steadfastly attached! Unacceptable

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

And yet if you check their bodies, the nazi testiculs remain steadfastly attached! Unacceptable

They’re wearing pants. I can’t see them still attached.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

They’re wearing pants. I can’t see them still attached.

Hopefully we'll get detachable pants in the next gen only game.

It's those old consoles, holding us back from testicle counting !

• Options
    Seeing rumours of a Ghost of Tsushima PC port, since Sony have taken the ‘Only on PlayStation’ tag off it.

Surprising given its age, but very nice to see.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Seeing rumours of a Ghost of Tsushima PC port, since Sony have taken the ‘Only on PlayStation’ tag off it.

Surprising given its age, but very nice to see.

How dare Sony do this, don't they care about Playstation fans?

/s

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Ghost is such a purely pleasant game. Beautiful and simple and mysterious. Sucker Punch redeemed after Second Son was kinda' meh compared to inFamous 2.

I heckin' loved inFamous 2.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Ghost is fantastic, I enjoyed playing that so much.

At work and friends that are in my social circle the majority are all PC users. I would also say that this same majority have said that if Ghost was on PC they would buy it immediately because it looks great and would be for them.

• Options
    So the only way to really upload screenshots is to twittter right? I spent some time uploading them at the max 4 at a time, and now I get a message saying the feature is temporarily unavailable? Is that some kind of Twitter thing to stop mass uploading? Cos it’s super annoying

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    You can put them on a USB drive and upload them somewhere from a computer if you wanted. If you mean straight from the PS5, then Twitter's probably the only thing, yeah.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    You can screen cap then send it to yourself via the chat message and then use the PS App to download it.

You should really just be able to send it to your phone via PS App.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Okay it took a bit but I think I'm finally vibing with Control. The map is still the worst thing since paper cuts but everything else is solid. The difficulty swings and the fact that it doesn't respawn you at a boss fight kind of drives me nuts.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I've been playing Control as well and the map is the worst enemy I've faced. But god does it feel authentic, there are sections that I'd swear I'd actually been in because it is so close to how so many government buildings that were designed in the 50s/60s and are still in use are. Our town hall here in town is tiny and yet it still twists around inside like concrete spaghetti.

Chiselphane on
  • Options
    The only recent map I was like "omg I love this" is, weirdly, Jedi Fallen Order. Reminded me of the maps in Descent in the 90s.

• Options
    My issue with Control's map is that sometimes it's just wrong. It would be 100% better if you could rotate and see things... Fucking hell we had that on Metroid Prime for the GameCube! There's no excuse!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I figure 3D maps continue to be so stupidly lacking in games is because it requires actually building a 3D map for the player to use, but it can't be as simple as Metroid Prime (which was mostly just blank, simple polygons) without freaking out executives over the "bad" graphics. So then the map has to be high-fidelity instead of functional and nobody wants to spend the resources on it and we get simple overhead pictures as a map instead.

• Options
    My issue with Control's map is that sometimes it's just wrong. It would be 100% better if you could rotate and see things... Fucking hell we had that on Metroid Prime for the GameCube! There's no excuse!

There are 100% areas of Control that could be improved, map included (unless its... dismissive tone is design intended to reflect the cosmically indifferent nature of the Oldest House and the universe), but I also look at Control as Insomniac nailing an open world game with Spider-Man or Naughty Dog transitioning from Jak games to Uncharted - Control represents the most ambitious thing Remedy have ever done.

It ain't perfect by any stretch but I love having a stylish, massive Metroidvania from the makers of Max Payne. That is awesome on paper and overall a ton of fun in practice.

• Options
    I figure 3D maps continue to be so stupidly lacking in games is because it requires actually building a 3D map for the player to use, but it can't be as simple as Metroid Prime (which was mostly just blank, simple polygons) without freaking out executives over the "bad" graphics. So then the map has to be high-fidelity instead of functional and nobody wants to spend the resources on it and we get simple overhead pictures as a map instead.

I will wrestle anyone who freaks out about bad graphics on a 3D map.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Wouldn't these theoretical executives freak out about having an ugly 2D map?

I'm currently bouncing between Rift Apart, Control and Returnal, and they run the difference on maps.
    Control's is junk, I can make sure I'm heading in the right direction and that's about it. Rift Apart's isn't great, but I can at least find the general area I'm looking for (but is that collectible above me or below me? It's a mystery). Returnal's is pretty much everything I want it to be (tracking items on the main map as well as the minimap would be nice, but it's a minor issue compared to the others).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    In Rift Apart you can select collectibles on the map and it will create a waypoint in-game that solves your 'is it above or below me' problem

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Ugh Returnal's map is awesome.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Wouldn't these theoretical executives freak out about having an ugly 2D map?

I'm currently bouncing between Rift Apart, Control and Returnal, and they run the difference on maps.
    Control's is junk, I can make sure I'm heading in the right direction and that's about it. Rift Apart's isn't great, but I can at least find the general area I'm looking for (but is that collectible above me or below me? It's a mystery). Returnal's is pretty much everything I want it to be (tracking items on the main map as well as the minimap would be nice, but it's a minor issue compared to the others).

I think the latest patch for Returnal added items on the main map too!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I've been using my PS5 mostly to run though my PS4 backlog. Finally on Arkham Knight now and coming off of God of War it looks decidedly last gen. Last last gen, even. I wish they would patch it but it seems that train has sailed.

Also the batmobile sucks.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I've been using my PS5 mostly to run though my PS4 backlog. Finally on Arkham Knight now and coming off of God of War it looks decidedly last gen. Last last gen, even. I wish they would patch it but it seems that train has sailed.

Also the batmobile sucks.

I had some problems with Arkham Knight, but none were more offensive than the staggering number and silliness of its Riddler trophies.

"How can we do collectibles wrong?"

"Rocksteady has shown us the way."

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ugh Returnal's map is awesome.

The best map feature is how effortlessly you can use the minimap to track enemies in real time. Navigating rooms and dodging enemies without the minimap would be nigh impossible, but with the map it's perfect.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm really really enjoying my time with Scarlet Nexus. Good combat, though it'll occasionally bop you without recourse. You'll have to be at least mildly inoculated against anime storylines and Persona-style gift giving and mini stories. That said, the story's been twisty and engaging enough for me.

• Options
    Popped in to Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer just to remind myself how it controls and see how long I'd need to wait for a game. There's no way it was more than 60 seconds for a 20-wave survival.

Kind of awesome it's still going so strong like a year later.

• Options
    Just got to the credits in Control! And greeted with Porcupine Tree too?! Holy shit what a great way to end it!

The Alan Wake stuff was really fucking cool.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Just got to the credits in Control! And greeted with Porcupine Tree too?! Holy shit what a great way to end it!

The Alan Wake stuff was really fucking cool.

Control has a strong opening, a kinda saggy middle, and a strong climax.

Endgame spoiler question for urahonky
    Did you let Trench finish all of his huge monologues in the final act? Fucking hell, James McCaffrey earned his pay big time.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Guess I’m alone in this but I hated controls ending; I’d loved the game until that point and it actually left a bad taste in my mouth and made me dislike the game as a whole

steam xbox - adeptpenguin