As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Slay the Spire together, as a family:

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

XbBeBF1h.jpg

Deck:
Jyfzi0th.jpg
4XoH4Aph.jpg
rszyG4Th.jpg

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    well if someone complains i'll shunt it over into a separate thread for a bit

fV2RZMIh.jpg

we swept, went for the eyes, defended, and then bit (not enough energy for a barrage, and bite did 1 more damage)

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    this game is very good and I am very bad at it

• Options
    Urgh. I'm almost temped to just force field, and save art of war energy for next turn and hope we draw better could beam cell/bite front cultist as well

yeah i have exactly the wrong build to use against this fucker

not much in terms of AoE to nuke the cultists, but they're going to start getting real strong after this turn

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    this game is very good and I am very bad at it

I'm on act 2. Lets see how long I last.

• Options
    DafEY2qh.jpg

well we forced that field and we've filled up our orb slots with ice

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    You could gamble for the moon too, and play creative AI that turn and try to hit electrodynamics as an out, but that's a low odds payout

FWIW Your deck's a little big for how much card draw you have from cards & relics, which is only 3 cards out of 40. I know broken crown makes that pretty hard to hit more draw sources, but ouch.

edit: so this is where it gets hard. you could chaos and compile driver (either cultist) and hope to hit something good with 3 energy left, or another line is Defend+, Tempest+ (with at least 2 energy, so can optionally play other cards) which is 8+18 (evoking the frost orbs) block this turn and get some damage out. lose your frost wall, but maybe hit the birds

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Zombie Penguin and a few others over in the G&T thread for Slay the Spire really helped me at this. I'm currently working through my ascensions on the PC, and my mobile copy is just.. well, there if I get bored. I need to unlock more. I just beat Ascension 10 on the Ironclad last night.

I love it when things just go bonkers.

PbgXAMvh.jpg

al8NaVlh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    My slay the spire advice is to select the poison character and get the cards that make more poison and apply poison every time you poison

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Question: does one need to know anything about Slay the Spire before telling you what to do?

• Options
    Question: does one need to know anything about Slay the Spire before telling you what to do?

not at all! chances are this run isn't going to last for that long anyway

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    You could gamble for the moon too, and play creative AI that turn and try to hit electrodynamics as an out, but that's a low odds payout

FWIW Your deck's a little big for how much card draw you have from cards & relics, which is only 3 cards out of 40. I know broken crown makes that pretty hard to hit more draw sources, but ouch.

edit: so this is where it gets hard. you could chaos and compile driver (either cultist) and hope to hit something good with 3 energy left, or another line is Defend+, Tempest+ (with at least 2 energy, so can optionally play other cards) which is 8+18 (evoking the frost orbs) block this turn and get some damage out. lose your frost wall, but maybe hit the birds

5oUl0yTh.jpg

we got one lightning hit on each bird, and stacked up our defence for this turn

• Options
    very shocking, brolo

• Options
    This is actually quite tense

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I like the card that says CHAOS on it.

• Options
    i05zeg7h.jpg

passive lightning stuck one of the cultists, and then did damage to the unawakened one

that healing regeneration fixed him right back up though, curse him!

my Defect is looking a little beat up now

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    >go north

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i've beaten act 3 with every character more than once but i've never even gotten close to beating act 4

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    >go north

North....

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i have only beaten act 4 once, with the ironclad of all characters

i still can't figure that one out

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh shit this makes me want to play this game I have owned for a very long time and never loaded up

• Options
    edited June 2021
    i have only beaten act 4 once, with the ironclad of all characters

i still can't figure that one out

ironchad is pretty good when you hit the good stuff

brolo, defrag and dual cast+, play everything else and hope to kill a bird? its ride or die time. I think it'd all have to hit the front one for you to survive this turn

Naphtali on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm so scared of playing those powers right now. In my normal play style I likely would, but MAN does the strength ramp-up from casting powers really suck when you run into the awakened one.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm so scared of playing those powers right now. In my normal play style I likely would, but MAN does the strength ramp-up from casting powers really suck when you run into the awakened one.

he has to start scaling now or die, but likely die

at least its low ascension so woke bloke only get +1 instead of +2 per power

• Options
    i've beaten act 3 with every character more than once but i've never even gotten close to beating act 4

A4 relies very heavily on having cards that nullify incoming damage and cards that can multiply out to huge amounts of damage

https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Nightmare
    https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Wraith_Form
    https://slay-the-spire.fandom.com/wiki/Catalyst

this combo worked well for me, but the chances of getting high amounts of rare cards in a single run is always iffy

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    My slay the spire advice is to select the poison character and get the cards that make more poison and apply poison every time you poison

And then, half way through the game, realize that the RNG is not going to give you poison cards or the artifacts to support poison cards and try to pivot to a new tactic, bloat your deck, die horribly and load a new run.
    Why can't I quit this game?

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I think Brolo is mathematically dead at this point 14 + 14 + 26 = 54, or with one bird dead 14 + 26 = 40, there's 16 block on there, so another - 16 = 24.

In order to kill a bird, dualcast AND two orbs will have to hit the same bird which is unlikely (10 +10 + 5 + 5 = 30, 25 won't kill left bird)

sorry

edited because math

asofyeun on
  • Options
    If anyone wants to learn this game, I highly recommend checking out the content from a twitch/youtuber named jorbs. dude's a wizard at this game and is super chill, and has a lot of "overexplained" content that goes into a lot of detail of the mechanics, cards, pathing, fights, characters, etc. for the game

• Options
    edited June 2021

he has to start scaling now or die, but likely die

at least its low ascension so woke bloke only get +1 instead of +2 per power

HELL YEAH RIDE OR DIE

FOCUS UP AND CALL LIGHTNING

djgSHDUh.jpg

First lightning hits... second lightning strike... does not.

PLAY REMAINING DEFENSIVE CARDS:

x4XYghFh.jpg
    That's uh... that's not going to slay the spire, is it? That's not going to slay anything.

Brolo on
  • Options
  • Options
    The tension has dissipated

• Options
    wait guys I made a mistake i think we shou-

zMPNZcFh.jpg

look everyone just chill and maybe we could tal-

FgbhUYzh.jpg

fffff-

ClrwtjEh.jpg

god dammit not again

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I ran Slay the Spire 3 times yesterday as Defect. Each time the Act 3 Boss killed me. Each time it was the Timekeeper.

Which fucking sucked as that middle run I was having so much fun with:
    3x Claw
    2x FTL
    Beam Cell
    1x All For One
    Seek+
    Hologram+

Play all the 0-cost attacks. Play All-for-One. Play all the zero-cost attacks. Play Hologram. Play All-for-One. Play all the zero-cost attacks.

I fucking hate Timekeeper.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    I ran Slay the Spire 3 times yesterday as Defect. Each time the Act 3 Boss killed me. Each time it was the Timekeeper.

3x Claw
    2x FTL
    Beam Cell
    1x All For One
    Seek+
    Hologram+

Play all the 0-cost attacks. Play All-for-One. Play all the zero-cost attacks. Play Hologram. Play All-for-One. Play all the zero-cost attacks.

where's the beef block?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I've played several hundred hours of Slay the Spire and I don't know if I've ever had a deck that I felt good about going up against either the Timekeeper or the Awakened One with

I've beaten them plenty still, and it's not like I don't regularly get crushed by the Shapes, but they're at least fairly straightforward feeling and not something that's going to immediately and completely ruin whatever strategy I was working on

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

3x Claw
    2x FTL
    Beam Cell
    1x All For One
    Seek+
    Hologram+

where's the beef block?

I had a few Defends hanging around, as well as a Glacier and a Charge Battery, and a Fossilised Helix to help set up the chain. But that deck was designed to ramp into killing things very quickly.

I also had Panache and Letter Opener, so massive chains would do an additional 20+ points of power/relic damage.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

3x Claw
    2x FTL
    Beam Cell
    1x All For One
    Seek+
    Hologram+

where's the beef block?

I had a few Defends hanging around, as well as a Glacier and a Charge Battery, and a Fossilised Helix to help set up the chain. But that deck was designed to ramp into killing things very quickly.

I also had Panache and Letter Opener, so massive chains would do an additional 20+ points of power/relic damage.

Kunai, Abacus or Paper Fan seemed like the missing pieces then. Maybe Shuriken or Jax too. Spam Defect just generally doesn't scale super great unless it's doing some very deviant things somewhere, Claw is pretty slow scaling unless it's a very thin deck.

• Options
    What really bugs me is when I get Timekeeper after building act 1-2 on things like double tap and the Necronomicon and the like, that double/triple my cards. Because suddenly it's like "ooh, gotta stop and leave 2-3 cards available for my burst of mayhem and echo and the like" ... which is SO annoying.

• Options
    yeah being able to see who your ultimate boss from the beginning be would do a lot to mitigate the feeling of "welp 2/3rds through and it turns out this run is fucked"

• Options
    What really bugs me is when I get Timekeeper after building act 1-2 on things like double tap and the Necronomicon and the like, that double/triple my cards. Because suddenly it's like "ooh, gotta stop and leave 2-3 cards available for my burst of mayhem and echo and the like" ... which is SO annoying.

Think of it as "I have to make sure what cards I'm going to play multiple times per hand are worth playing that many times with limited card plays". Sometimes, if you think your deck can beat Time Eater by just playing 12 cards a turn, then great! Go for it. Especially as Watcher with Vault, or heavy mitigation options (Apparitions, Wraith Form). Accordingly, you need to draft cards into your deck always with the consideration of what you could fight ahead of you. Even in Act 2, if you think your deck has already solved say, The Champ, how will it fare against the Act 3 (or even Act 4) bosses? What do you think you're going to need for them?

All the Act 3 bosses generally require the same thing to beat them (scale fast your offense or defense), but in different measures. Donu & Deca are I'd say the easiest of the three, but it depends how well your deck can deal with curses impacting your card draw. Time Eater and Awakened One both require high block or high damage, but vary in difficulty in how your deck scales (card draw vs powers).

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

3x Claw
    2x FTL
    Beam Cell
    1x All For One
    Seek+
    Hologram+

where's the beef block?

Kunai, Abacus or Paper Fan seemed like the missing pieces then. Maybe Shuriken or Jax too. Spam Defect just generally doesn't scale super great unless it's doing some very deviant things somewhere, Claw is pretty slow scaling unless it's a very thin deck.

I've never had a problem with it, personally. Claw decks are probably my most consistently successful Defect.