As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking a sleeper train across the U.S. Where should I go?

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited May 2021 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have some vacation coming up and I was thinking to taking an Amtrak across the country. My starting place would be Chicago, and I'm thinking one of three routes.

1. The California Zephyr (Chicago, IL -> Emeryville, CA)
2. The Empire builder (Chicago, IL -> Seattle, WA or Chicago, IL -> Portland, OR)
3. The Southwest Chief (Chicago, IL -> Los Angeles, CA)

Any way I go I'm going to be taking a roomette by myself, and I plan to be flying business back to Chicago.

Now here's the thing, I'm really want to take the Zephyr , simply because it will offer the most scenery. I go from the Great Plains, and through the mountains. The downside is.. well, it's Emeryville. The city with the #1 crime rate in California. Also, I've been to San Francisco before for GDC and I really wasn't a fan. My knowledge of Bay Area geography is a little weak. I donno, I could maybe go someplace nice and not too touristy where I can hang for two-3 days.

On the Southwest Chief, I take the desert route though New Mexico and Arizona to LA. Downside... You don't really hit the Rockies on that route. However the desert is pretty, the downside really being.. LA. I really can't think of anything that would excite me for being there a few days before I fly back. I used to live in California, though it was the central coast, when I went to LA, nothing really wowed me...

Empire builder has me hugging Canada, I'm kind of done with the Northern US. I've been to Seattle, and left a stuffed penguin on the Microsoft sign before being chased off by security. (God, I was such a nerd in my youth). Never been to Portland though.

Any ideas I'm really open to any way if there are fun things to do at the endpoints. That would be cool.

halkun on

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I've taken #1 from Emeryville to Chicago a decade ago and it was a great experience, you're right that the scenery going through the rockies is incredible. Definitely something I remember 10 years later.

For what to do in the bay area, it really depends on what you're looking for. I 100% agree on not staying in Emeryville, there's nothing there and it's not much of a fun place to hang out. If you into culture/museums, I think you're still best off in SF. Try to stay in the Presidio if you can, that's the only way I'd enjoy staying in the city. If you're looking for more relaxing nature/beaches, you're not too far from either Halfmoon bay or Napa wine country. Both those places will require a car to get to but they're the first places that comes to mind if you're looking for someplace nice and not touristy.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    I've taken #1 from Emeryville to Chicago a decade ago and it was a great experience, you're right that the scenery going through the rockies is incredible. Definitely something I remember 10 years later.

For what to do in the bay area, it really depends on what you're looking for. I 100% agree on not staying in Emeryville, there's nothing there and it's not much of a fun place to hang out. If you into culture/museums, I think you're still best off in SF. Try to stay in the Presidio if you can, that's the only way I'd enjoy staying in the city. If you're looking for more relaxing nature/beaches, you're not too far from either Halfmoon bay or Napa wine country. Both those places will require a car to get to but they're the first places that comes to mind if you're looking for someplace nice and not touristy.

There is one way to stay in Emeryville and not feel like you took the cheap option for no culture, and that's to take the ferry to and from SF immediately every day. Had to do that once when some series of conferences just fucked me on every possible hotel.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    In college I'd take the Empire to/from Chicago to Winona MN over the holidays.

I would not wish that on anyone and that was a 6hr ride. Except when there was a house fire by the tracks and they pulled the hoses across the tracks so it was a 9 hour trip.

Also the whole COVID-19 thing.

So trains would be at the bottom of my planes, automobiles, and trains list. But if you want to go, I'd do the Zephyr or Chief if you want more of the SW.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Make sure you have a really flexible schedule, because "on time" is not really something cross-country passenger trains in the US do

Or at least, that's my anecdotal experience.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I ran into a snag turns out there is limited service due to COVID and the days I needed were not available. (Even though the website said it was.) If you made a purchase, it would come back with "oh! Never mind, that's gone lol!"

I'm taking a road trip to Vermont and down the east coast instead.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sorry!

Should be a good trip, but not quite the same.

Have you been to New Buffalo or St Joseph MI? Both are nice stops, though St J is a little farther north.

• Options
    I have a ladyfriend in St Joseph I'll be hanging with for an evening! I only have seen it in the Winter so it will be interesting with all the boats out and such. In a perfect world I would nip off to Canada via Detroit, but oh well!

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    I ran into a snag turns out there is limited service due to COVID and the days I needed were not available. (Even though the website said it was.) If you made a purchase, it would come back with "oh! Never mind, that's gone lol!"

I'm taking a road trip to Vermont and down the east coast instead.

Drive around during the morning golden hour in Vermont. Some of the views are to die for in that light.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    halkun wrote: »
    I have a ladyfriend in St Joseph I'll be hanging with for an evening! I only have seen it in the Winter so it will be interesting with all the boats out and such. In a perfect world I would nip off to Canada via Detroit, but oh well!

Can she deliver me some Silver Harbor beer? I will pay up to and including something for this service.