As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Boyfriend Dungeon, Garden Story and Axiom Verge 2 out today!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Every time anyone talks about Prodeus I just think for a second that they're talking about Proteus

And those frogs are still pretty great

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Man I wish those Grim Dawn peeps would talk about Farthest Frontier again, I need a city builder of that type in my life.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So is there a hook for Prodeus other than looking like a more detailed original Wolfenstein?

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So is there a hook for Prodeus other than looking like a more detailed original Wolfenstein?

I’d say it’s more like doom or quake. It’s got an insane level editor but aside from that the hook is it’s like a 3D game but with effects and pixel filters to make it look like a an old doom/build game but with bells and whistles like modern lighting. Like for instance the enemies are 3D, with limbs that can be shot off and headshots, and so if you’re like looking down you will see the top of their head, but visually with the pixels and like frame limited animations it echoes old shooters. It’s a neat effect and I hope more games try similar stuff

If the aesthetic of the kind of quake 2/doom style levels don’t appeal to you it won’t have much for you. It’s got very satisfying guns and blood and is basically just like a smooth and well polished version of what it’s trying to be. My friend for instance thinks it looks hideous but I think it looks gorgeous

It’s a case of it does what it does and it does it well and that’s about it

My only gripe is I wish there was a way to enable physics on enemy bodies, they’ve made them like flat to evoke the dead 2d sprites of old, but I kind of want rag dolls with these visuals to really break my brain

Also like that when the enemies with the big bulbs die you can shoot their bulbs to see them pop even post death, which I appreciate

I don’t know if it’s worth the money right now unless you are super into this exact kind of game

Prohass on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The biggest hook is it’s made by a couple of old Raven Software devs. So if you liked the old 90s/00’s Raven Software shooters, you’ll probably love it.

I played through the early access and came to the conclusion it is what Doom 3 should have been.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Classic shooter style stuff doesn’t usually grab me the way it does other folks, but that does sound kinda neat so I’ll probably check it out!

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Brolo wrote: »
    I never could finish Witcher 2. (I barely made it past the prologue in fact.) Should I try to finish it before I get 3? I don't know if that's ever going to happen, come to think of it.

Uh, how much do you feel like playing a game with kinda crappy combat/leveling/inventory systems but a pretty decent story?

Are you kidding, I love Witcher 3!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The coolest part about Prodeus is the built-in level editor, it's very robust
    and you can also browse, download, and play other player's levels right from the game, no need to go to mod sites or figure out how to host files or anything

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I picked up Going Under for like nine bucks and that is a deceptively tough but also fun Hades-like with some of the goofiest looking combat and funniest writing I’ve encountered in a game in a good long while. I’ve laughed aloud several times!

It’s a damn shame the game basically crashed and burned, it’s a really well put together and polished experience

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay I'll get Wildermyth

• Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Thoughts on Wildermyth: I have entirely too many folks now that battles are a slog. There's no quick movement button so if you have to move far you gotta watch your unit move to every space and after awhile you watch'm move more than anything else in battle because you can't queue up multiple actions.

The story would probably be better if I made my own characters instead of just a single one, heh. It's cute though but the battles are just take so long now.

I'm on my 5th run in Roguebook though and Sirroco and that Demon/Rat dude are completely broken. I even checked the updates and apparently, the devs have noticed this too and are trying to buff up the other characters but it's their KITS that are the issue, Shanna just isn't worth using at all compared to the other heroes. They all do everything better than she does, it's nuts.

Dee Kae on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I never could finish Witcher 2. (I barely made it past the prologue in fact.) Should I try to finish it before I get 3? I don't know if that's ever going to happen, come to think of it.

Why didn't you finish it? If the combat was a problem it gets a lot easier once you're away from the prologue, but just play it on easy.

I say yes play it, because I think it's got cool story and character stuff, and you want to talk to all the trolls because trolls are the best, and it will set up a couple of little callbacks in 3 that will make you go "Oh I remember that, a thing that I did!"

But at the end of the day if you aren't enjoying it don't force yourself. Witcher 3 is more fun to play so just skip to that. It also relies more on the books than on the previous games for its big story stuff so playing 1 and 2 won't help you understand what's going on if you haven't read the books anyway.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm going BIG on this steam sale.
    1. Banner Saga trilogy
    2. Disco Elysium
    3. PlanetScape torment
    4. Titanfall 2
    5. Star renegade
    6. Control: Ultimate edition

It's telling that every FPS I would want in the sale bar Titan Fall 2 I already own so this is a "play something different" kind of list.

Hence the above list being more RPG/3rd person.

I'm very tempted by the Civ VI anthology but I'm not sure I'll ever have the time to commit to it.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I played a bit of Lego Builder's Journey. It seems like a neat little puzzle game, but I do have a couple of complaints:

Raytracing defaulted to being on, even though I do not have a raytracing capable graphics card.
    The controls show clear signs of originally being a phone game. "Click" and "click and hold" are used for two completely different things, even though the right mouse button isn't used for anything.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Those two things side by side seem weird?

It's not like they're gonna be running ray tracing on your phone

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Dee Kae wrote: »

I'm on my 5th run in Roguebook though and Sirroco and that Demon/Rat dude are completely broken. I even checked the updates and apparently, the devs have noticed this too and are trying to buff up the other characters but it's their KITS that are the issue, Shanna just isn't worth using at all compared to the other heroes. They all do everything better than she does, it's nuts.

Huh, Shanna was instrumental to the win I got. With Sirroco still of course, but I've had very little luck with Seifer overall. Like, he's got plenty of cool things he can do, but they either take too long to set up or require him getting so fucked up that I lose by attrition.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I finally got Deep Rock Galactic, but not sure if I'll ever play it cause I haven't managed to get my normal RL group to bite.

Also grabbed Naheulbeuk and kingmaker, and as predicted, Legend of Mana because I'm weak to nostalgia.

The remastered backgrounds look great. They didn't seem to upgrade any of actual moving sprites so they look extra pixely on the backgrounds. But on the plus side they didn't botch the upscaling on those I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I finally got Deep Rock Galactic, but not sure if I'll ever play it cause I haven't managed to get my normal RL group to bite.

Also grabbed Naheulbeuk and kingmaker, and as predicted, Legend of Mana because I'm weak to nostalgia.

The remastered backgrounds look great. They didn't seem to upgrade any of actual moving sprites so they look extra pixely on the backgrounds. But on the plus side they didn't botch the upscaling on those I guess.

I love Deep Rock and I haven't ever gotten to play it with voice chat enabled. Which is to say both it works pretty dang well as a solo-ish experience since you can't fuck things up too bad for the group if you're trying and also I should hop on the G&T thread and see if I can play with PA folks more often.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Those two things side by side seem weird?

It's not like they're gonna be running ray tracing on your phone

I guess they gave the graphics an upgrade when bringing it to PC, but not the controls.

It does have keyboard controls, but it has the same problem of only using a single button.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

I play DRG with randos and it's great.

The community is super nice. You can also play solo if you want.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Deep rock is so much fun with friends.

Especially the more recent mode with the pipelines you can grind on.

Show your friends that mode.

rhylith on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The Shadowrun trilogy is free on GOG

Definitely worth grabbing, for folks that haven't already. I'm especially partial to Dragonfall, but Hong Kong is also great

edited June 2021
    Straightzi wrote: »

Huh, Shanna was instrumental to the win I got. With Sirroco still of course, but I've had very little luck with Seifer overall. Like, he's got plenty of cool things he can do, but they either take too long to set up or require him getting so fucked up that I lose by attrition.

I like Shanna I just like everyone else that blocks/does damage without much of a lay up. (though stackin' power is fun on her with multihits) I havent messed with daggers on her yet so i dunno if that's a thing or not.

Seifer's got common cards that can buff minions and that makes things spiral outta control with even just one minion on the field. I turned an axolotl (doubles all strength gains) into a 500 damage beast near the end. But it can work with so many different minions to make'm powerhouses. Some minions are complete trash though. That food minion that heals at the end of the battle is insanely good for Seifer.

Oh and Sirroco's Fire Breath / that 2 cost 15 damage to everything card is a requirement in every run early on.(or anything similar.) It wipes out problematic stuff all the time.

Dee Kae on
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular

I love Deep Rock and I haven't ever gotten to play it with voice chat enabled. Which is to say both it works pretty dang well as a solo-ish experience since you can't fuck things up too bad for the group if you're trying and also I should hop on the G&T thread and see if I can play with PA folks more often.

It's not bad solo. The robot helper can sometimes be better than teammates haha. With this steam sale, I'm sure there are some PA folks that would be happy to jump on with newer players to help them.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I like Shanna I just like everyone else that blocks/does damage without much of a lay up. (though stackin' power is fun on her with multihits) I havent messed with daggers on her yet so i dunno if that's a thing or not.

Seifer's got common cards that can buff minions and that makes things spiral outta control with even just one minion on the field. I turned an axolotl (doubles all strength gains) into a 500 damage beast near the end. But it can work with so many different minions to make'm powerhouses. Some minions are complete trash though. That food minion that heals at the end of the battle is insanely good for Seifer.

Oh and Sirroco's Fire Breath / that 2 cost 15 damage to everything card is a requirement in every run early on.(or anything similar.) It wipes out problematic stuff all the time.

Yeah my winning strategy was a combination of Shanna's daggers and Sirocco using stuff like buckle up and other higher cost cards with reduction powers and some ogre items. Essentially Sirocco hangs out in the front and does defensive work for a while, build up some daggers and strength buffs for Shanna, and then get her to the front and unleash everything at once.

Spoilers for one of the final bosses
    I was also fighting the avatar of greed or whatever, whose innate ability makes everything cost 1 more to play, which made the zero cost strategy a bit weirder, but I mean, I beat him, so something worked.

I like Seifer's minion stuff and I've also paired him with that axolotl, but that's one of those builds that can take too long to actually get moving in my experience, and certain enemies will be able to ramp up their damage quicker than I can.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    TEXT:
    Rail Route - new on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1124180 ($13.49)
    Rail Route is a tycoon/management game based on railroad dispatching. Control the traffic, build out your own network, then optimize and expand. Unlock new technologies, upgrade the infrastructure, and automate operations! Design and share your own maps with the in-game editor.
    20210629 Rail Route Dispatcher (Trains, Sandbox, Automation, City Builder, 2d)
    TEXT:
    Upaon: A Snake's Journey - new on Steam:
    Help this sympathetic Snake on her journey to the hidden treasure, solve puzzles that mix mechanics of the classic game Snake with Sokoban
    20210625 Upaon - A snake's journey (Sokoban, Puzzle, Logic, Casual2d, Cute)
    TEXT:
    Cast off! Sun Haven releases in 2 days on #Steam! Are you ready to 🌱 farm, ⛏️ mine, 🎣 fish, ⚔️ fight, ⚒️ smith, 🍝 cook, and 🪚 craft your way through 30+ hours of gameplay?!
    Build your farm and relationships with townsfolk, or forge ahead on a quest of magic, monsters, and dragons. Level up through a skill tree in 8 person multiplayer, or adventure solo!
    20210625 Sun Haven EA (Early Access, Farming Sim, Life Sim, Rpg)
    TEXT:
    Loopindex is now available for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. Save 20% - limited time offer http://mjr.mn/65BO5
    Test your wits on the unique “loop mechanic” with single player or co-op multiplayer.
    20210625 Loop Index (Robots, Automation, Programming, Local Co-Op)

Brolo on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man it is really hard to have these battles in Pike and Shot not devolve into utter chaos.

Though I guess that kind of is the point, compared to say a total war game.

In this you get your army lined up, march them in a pretty way across the fields, but the moment shots start flying, and cavalry start charging, it's like trying to wrangle a circus while your cavalry, which you desperately need to get behind a pike block, decides the best use of its time is to go chase down that one unit of fleeing arquebusiers for 4 gosh darned turns.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    has this been posted?

https://youtu.be/gAX_mDOX4Pc

a fan-made amogus map designed with veteran players in mind

Thoughts on Wildermyth: I have entirely too many folks now that battles are a slog. There's no quick movement button so if you have to move far you gotta watch your unit move to every space and after awhile you watch'm move more than anything else in battle because you can't queue up multiple actions.

The story would probably be better if I made my own characters instead of just a single one, heh. It's cute though but the battles are just take so long now.

@Dee Kae Not sure if you knew this or not but there's an option to set the battle movement speed for both players and enemies to "fastest" if you want to speed things up in Wildermyth

signature-deffo.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    For fans of Failbetter generally, and/or Sunless Skies specifically, Rock Paper Shotgun has a really interesting article on some of their development processes:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/failbetter-interview-how-to-not-make-a-dlc

It examines an idea they scrapped, and explores how and why they made the decision to not move forward with it.

I would really love to see more articles like this, pieces that demystify how creative works are made. There was also a really fucking great interview with Barry Jenkins over at Vulture this week, about the process of making Underground Railroad. Great week for peeks behind the curtain.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Is anyone else enjoying the crap out of Knockout City? The dodgeball mechanics are so tight it's honestly astounding.

I've been trying to rank up in League play, managed to get to Platinum 3, but have since been knocked down to 2. It's just a blast.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I picked up Going Under for like nine bucks and that is a deceptively tough but also fun Hades-like with some of the goofiest looking combat and funniest writing I’ve encountered in a game in a good long while. I’ve laughed aloud several times!

It’s a damn shame the game basically crashed and burned, it’s a really well put together and polished experience

Well that was the problem, it released against Hades which had full hype ahead. Honestly I prefer Going Under of the two.

Karoz on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Going Under definitely fell in the "eh, pretty good" category. No regrets buying it, enjoyed playing it, stopped and didn't really think about it.

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Also, did it crash and burn? It has a pretty healthy number of reviews, suggesting a decent revenue if nothing amazing.

I ate an engineer
    milski wrote: »
    Also, did it crash and burn? It has a pretty healthy number of reviews, suggesting a decent revenue if nothing amazing.

I think they've gone on record as saying they had to halt support for the game after their first bit of free DLC for it because it had sold way less than they'd hoped, but I'd love to be wrong! I know a couple youtubers I like did videos on it earlier in the year, maybe it got a bump

signature-deffo.jpg
    Going Under had some of the best writing I've seen in a game in a while. I was just so happy to get to know all my fellow coworkers in that game!

If you dropped it after playing it initially, the free DLC really fleshed out the game.

Few games let you use and throw anything and everything as a weapon. Good stuff.

the devs haven't folded or anything but yeah hades super ate their lunch

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    has this been posted?

https://youtu.be/gAX_mDOX4Pc

a fan-made amogus map designed with veteran players in mind

5up (the designer) and his crew were streaming it earlier today, it's really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkTi-vPO9tM

There's a lot to it. Cameras have to be repaired by crewmates before they can even be used, two levels that you have to take an elevator between with specific tasks on each floor, a new sabotage that requires everyone to grab an oxygen mask or else they die, lots of stuff here.
    I was hearing people in various chats talk about how they want to charge for the map? Which would be weird, since all 4 dev-created maps in Among Us are free. Apparently as long as the host owns the map no one else needs to buy it, though.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    For fans of Failbetter generally, and/or Sunless Skies specifically, Rock Paper Shotgun has a really interesting article on some of their development processes:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/failbetter-interview-how-to-not-make-a-dlc

It examines an idea they scrapped, and explores how and why they made the decision to not move forward with it.

I would really love to see more articles like this, pieces that demystify how creative works are made. There was also a really fucking great interview with Barry Jenkins over at Vulture this week, about the process of making Underground Railroad. Great week for peeks behind the curtain.

Glorious. There are a lot of fantastic quotes from that article, but this one really sums up most of the problems I've had with the last two library directors:
    My strongest takeaway was how vital producers are. Young didn't speak much, but he was the only one who made notes, listened very carefully to what was being said, and then transformed that into actual concrete next steps. I got the impression that without Young, Failbetter would come up with fabulous ideas and then, after a couple of years of studious and concentrated work, be faintly surprised that they didn't appear to have made a game.

Gonna try to take real steps to make sure I'm the Stuart Young in manager meetings going forward. Or at least identify the Stuart Young in the room and support them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I ate a temp suspension on twitter for a joke post with the word "die" in it but I'm back in it now and I come bearing a dead rat

This discussion has been closed.