As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2021 Pre-Planning Thread

WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little WhoreMojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
Do we know if passes are dropping in the standard May-June window? Any special precautions aside from Masks? Have any exhibitors announced they're not doing anything for 2021?

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Westrunner wrote: »
    Do we know if passes are dropping in the standard May-June window? Any special precautions aside from Masks? Have any exhibitors announced they're not doing anything for 2021?
    To my knowledge, zero information about PAX West 2021 has been made available as of yet other than the prospective dates https://west.paxsite.com/news/article/pax-2021-updates

• Options
    spyrowormspyroworm Registered User new member
    I am hoping we here something soon. There has been no other info besides the announcement. I'm guessing it is going to be way scaled back this year.

• Options
    JeffstaJeffsta Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm not sure what to expect either. My guess is that they would have to hold off until closer to the event going forward (or at least for this year) but last I read of Washington State is that they were planning on dropping restrictions at the end of June. Whether PAX follows suit or not is anyone's guess right now, but as I like to say about these matters is that I would plan on being extra cautious.

EDIT: I'm not sure about this either, but it's possible that you may not have to protect yourself if you received your vaccinations.

Jeffsta on
  • Options
    PhoenixDenPhoenixDen Registered User new member
    Washington State has been doing fairly decent in terms of vaccinations. I think it'll be a close-ran thing, or as was stated, very scaled back. The state should be at 70% by September for sure. Maybe better. It's really other states that'll more of a worry before long, at least, that's my estimate.

• Options
    pwade0102pwade0102 Registered User regular
    did does show up for September on the convention center's website.

• Options
    every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    PhoenixDen wrote: »
    Washington State has been doing fairly decent in terms of vaccinations. I think it'll be a close-ran thing, or as was stated, very scaled back. The state should be at 70% by September for sure. Maybe better. It's really other states that'll more of a worry before long, at least, that's my estimate.
    Washington looks like it is "reopening" on June 30th; it says that conferences will no longer have limits for fully vaccinated attendees.

So PAX could be good to go (for fully vaccinated exhibitors, staff and attendees at least!)

So, about those badges....

every day's great on
  • Options
    7ucky7ucky Registered User regular
    I hope PAX happens in-person this year, but given the time tables with booth production, travel coordination, etc., I would be very surprised if it does happen. That said, I'll be watching closely like y'all.

pvleevc2o4pj.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    PhoenixDen wrote: »
    Washington looks like it is "reopening" on June 30th; it says that conferences will no longer have limits for fully vaccinated attendees.

So PAX could be good to go (for fully vaccinated exhibitors, staff and attendees at least!)
    7ucky wrote: »
    I hope PAX happens in-person this year, but given the time tables with booth production, travel coordination, etc., I would be very surprised if it does happen. That said, I'll be watching closely like y'all.

Myself, I'm kind of torn even if WA state hits the 'official 70%'. I've gotten both of my 5G upgrade jabs, and from what the safety page reads currently, it is going to be a reduced capacity and limit to the number of people allowed in the buildings at a given time (which means more of the only enter from one spot, which was really annoying as feck and, not going to lie, really makes me debate going even tho I do acknowledge the reasons and 'need').

That being said, not every one has, or probably will be, fully vaccinated, the vaccines are not a 100% thing as with any vaccine, and last I read, there are new variants appearing in the states. Plus, the more out of shape effects of working from home for a year-ish... :P

My plan is to still request the time off from work and I have made my reservations with the Homewood with the ability to cancel within a day or so without penalty.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Given the issues in Canada and the potential hassle for them for cross border travel, this makes sense. Disappointing, though.

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Plus, the more out of shape effects of working from home for a year-ish... :P
    Have you met my good friend Ring Fit Adventure? :)

RFA has definitely leveled up my strength and balance over the past year. It's a perfect exercise game for me because of the RPG mechanics.

every day's great on
  • Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Too many unknowns. Can't trust the anti-vaxers coming in there. Even though I'm fully vaxed, I don't wanna be part of that. Plus, who knows what exhibitors are even willing to go.

I'm punting to next year. Someone buy a sloppy amount of Top Pot doughnuts in my honor.

• Options

RFA has definitely leveled up my strength and balance over the past year. It's a perfect exercise game for me because of the RPG mechanics.

Heh, no switch right now, but I do have a selection of 'move around a lot' VR games, been a matter of finding time. The life of a sysadmin is chaotic and time consuming quite often.

eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Heh, no switch right now, but I do have a selection of 'move around a lot' VR games, been a matter of finding time. The life of a sysadmin is chaotic and time consuming quite often.
    Switch is a great hybrid console with many fantastic games. If they announce the Switch Pro this year and you don't have a Switch already it's basically a no-brainer.

Overall I think exercise (averaging 5x a week over the past year) improved my energy and productivity (and sleep), but for the first month or two I was actually more tired than usual, so I think there is a learning or training curve. Still it is fun to level yourself up. :)

every day's great on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @zerzhul Slightly OT: I noticed that the forums don't seem to be linked from the PAX sites anymore. Is this intentional?

every day's great on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul Slightly OT: I noticed that the forums don't seem to be linked from the PAX sites anymore. Is this intentional?
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/241027/links-to-the-pa-west-forum-on-the-new-website#latest
    still unknown