As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Chairem [Anime] Thread

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-06-25/shonen-jump-gets-reality-show-to-find-next-star-manga-creator/.174414
    org6kvpqj9ny.jpg

MILLION TAG, a new "battle audition" show for discovering "the next star manga creator," on Friday. The eight-episode program will debut on the official YouTube channel for Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine next Friday, July 2 at 6:00 p.m. (5:00 a.m. EDT).

The winning manga creator will receive a prize of 5 million yen (about US$45,000), the opportunity to serialize their manga on Shonen Jump+, a compiled book volume of that manga, and an anime adaptation of the manga.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    One of the tasks/challenges/games/whatever should be drawing manga for 7 days straight without sleeping, to prepare the contestants for their new career.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

See that just makes me imagine them trying to do car things, and then Char just drops in with Sazabi. It's a very short movie as a result!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    A contest where the prize is grueling labor seems fun

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I would consider watching strip search anime edition.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    A contest where the prize is grueling labor seems fun

The Tester, you say

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Phrasing!

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Phrasing!

It is literally a penny arcade show and it was good.

Several of the contestants were able to build fanbases and careers from the show, not just the winner.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Manga Mogura RE
    @MangaMoguraRE
    Junji Ito created a summary manga for black & white horror movie "The Lighthouse" starring Robert Pattinson & Willem Dafoe that will be distributed in japanese cinemas to promote its theatrical release in Japan on July 9

Image © Junji Ito, A24, Focus Features/Universal Pictures

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Phrasing!

It is literally a penny arcade show and it was good.

Several of the contestants were able to build fanbases and careers from the show, not just the winner.

Some of the contestants even got to do uncredited work for Penny Arcade!

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

Manga Mogura RE
    @MangaMoguraRE
    Junji Ito created a summary manga for black & white horror movie "The Lighthouse" starring Robert Pattinson & Willem Dafoe that will be distributed in japanese cinemas to promote its theatrical release in Japan on July 9

Image © Junji Ito, A24, Focus Features/Universal Pictures

God, I really hope the "HARK, TRITON" rant is illustrated in this.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Really excited for the finales of both MegaloBox 2 and OddTaxi, they've both been right up my alley and MB2 is an active improvement on the first season IMO

Depending on how slow next season is I might give Vivy, To Your Eternity, or 86 another shot

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Some of the contestants drew forum avatars for me on commission.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I have a framed sketch of my cat that Abby did at the first PAX South on my kitchen wall.

steam_sig.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Started watching Demon Slayer, just finished episode 16. So far Zenitsu might be the deadliest character, in that he’s very close to killing the whole show!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Started watching Demon Slayer, just finished episode 16. So far Zenitsu might be the deadliest character, in that he’s very close to killing the whole show!

Yeah... he's a big oof. He does get a couple good scenes, but...

On a related note, the movie's up on Funimation for streaming, so I watched that. It has minimal Zenitsu, and is good.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Zenitsu ticks a bunch of character things I like...
    -Cowardly fighter.
    -Literally knows only one move but it's a good move.
    -Idiot who doesn't realize he's strong.

but like, I still can't stand the character.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Zenitsu ticks a bunch of character things I like...
    -Cowardly fighter.
    -Literally knows only one move but it's a good move.
    -Idiot who doesn't realize he's strong.

but like, I still can't stand the character.

For me, it’s all the screaming and crying and outsized terror at literally everything

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Speaking of big oofs, and perhaps content warnings for next season, the Mappa action show's manga (Idaten Gods) has an extremely graphic, explicit, and gratuitous rape/murder scene right at the start. Hopefully thrown straight in the adaptation trash bin, but probably not.

And Cheat Pharmacist's Slow Life, on top of the typical slave harem, one of its first bits is that one of the girls suspects her brother is gay, so asks for a drug to fix him. He responds by giving her a chemical castration potion and tells her to secretly drug him with it. So, uh, yeah.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Turns out that if you want to make an annoying character you should beware doing that too well

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Speaking of big oofs, and perhaps content warnings for next season, the Mappa action show's manga (Idaten Gods) has an extremely graphic, explicit, and gratuitous rape/murder scene right at the start. Hopefully thrown straight in the adaptation trash bin, but probably not.

And Cheat Pharmacist's Slow Life, on top of the typical slave harem, one of its first bits is that one of the girls suspects her brother is gay, so asks for a drug to fix him. He responds by giving her a chemical castration potion and tells her to secretly drug him with it. So, uh, yeah.

ever watch the Lupin 3rd movie where there's a sex robot with a drill for a cock?

fuck isekai creators, with that specifically

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I dunno if Castlevania counts as anime but I'm finally getting around to watching that.

I watched the first season when it aired and I remember thinking the art direction and action was really, really good but everyone only ever talked in mumbles and it made it very hard to hear dialogue. That still holds up but it's better with ear buds.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I dunno if Castlevania counts as anime but I'm finally getting around to watching that.

I watched the first season when it aired and I remember thinking the art direction and action was really, really good but everyone only ever talked in mumbles and it made it very hard to hear dialogue. That still holds up but it's better with ear buds.

Alucard you cock wart.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So I haven't read or watched Demon Slayer, but I have kept hearing about this Zenitsu guy (and how terrible he is). How does he compare to other similarly typed guys, like say Usopp? And uhhh.... uh yeah, there's surely a lot more examples, but I can only come up with Usopp right now.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Is Zenitsu better or worse than Kuwabara?

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Is Zenitsu better or worse than Kuwabara?

How the fuck is anyone better than Kuwabara

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Usopp is infinitely better than Zenitsu, in almost every regard. Zenitsu actively dragged Demon Slayer down with him, whereas Usopp only ever uplifts One Piece

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Zenitsu never really changes where Usopp definitely does and in fact the epilogue implies Zenitsu is rewarded for being a whiny pile of shit

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Zenitsu is just loud incoherent screaming unless a girl is onscreen then he yells at her to marry him.

steam_sig.png
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm not following. By the above (report in March 2021), streaming was a fairly small piece of the overall revenue for the industry, only 68.5 billion yen revenue total, compared to eg 320 billion yen for pachinko. It looks to me like domestic streaming is cannibalizing DVD sales, as one's going up as the other's dropping in roughly similar amounts, but that's just eyeballing with no rigorous analysis. Not sure what you mean by "but disc sales." Reference to the Manabi Line schtick? But even that was in the low thousands and more a metric with high correlation to general popularity and other stuff than meant as a straight line to revenue.

No, you answered my question. Like, of course that domestic streaming is cannbializing disc sales for obvious reasons, I just find outdated to use disc sales as a measure of success when domestic streaming is it's successor.

TryCatcher on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Usopp never stops being afraid. He just stops being a coward (mostly).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Usopp's character flaw is his cowardice (and the lies he tells to cover it up) whereas Zenitsu's entire character is a coward who is also a sex pest (aka the Mineta Paradigm); Usopp actively struggles to address his weaknesses and is his overall character arc whereas the other two just use the tropes to make gags. It becomes a character flaw and thus an arc if the story acknowledges it, it becomes endearing; leaving as a shallow character type at best makes them a tolerable gag engine but mostly just hampers the story.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Usopp is a regular person among superpowered people at first (other than Nami but she didn't really fight until sometime into Baroque Arc) and his entire development is learning how to become Comedy Batman to adapt tech and his own analysis skills to bring down people who by all rights should be way above his weight class, including Luffy himself.

Zenitsu is just strong right off the bat with the only caveat being he has to be knocked unconscious so he's not even aware of what he's doing, meaning he's not choosing to do anything he's just reacting without any effort required.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Zenitsu has some AAA tier badass fights when he's asleep, but is generally the worst thing on screen if he's awake.

He does have a modicum of character growth by the end? Maybe not.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The best thing about Zenitsu is that in the Demon Slayer fighting game, he's absolutely petrified of being chosen in the character select screen.

Then you do, and he passes out from fear, which is how they make him able to fight in the game.

sig.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Zenitsu gimmick is brilliant because it implies hus body is a honed weapon ready to destroy anything and only he is holding himself back.

The problem is everything else about him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Even peak unconscious Zenitsu isn't as good a character as Sogeking.

steam_sig.png
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Even peak unconscious Zenitsu isn't as good a character as Sogeking.

To be fair, not many characters are

ikbUJdU.jpg
    I haven't watched OP in like 8 years at least and I still use Sogeking fanart as my desktop wallpaper.

steam_sig.png
    Peak Usopp:

(Spoilers for later One Piece)

This discussion has been closed.