As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Finally got around to watching all of Lower Decks after kind of hating it/bouncing off of it the first time round. It's definitely more suited to binge-watching rather than waiting weeks for episodes, that really helped.
    I think I can kind of see the appeal now (ep9 had me in stitches), I just wish they hadn't made Boimler look almost exactly like his 'Final Space' counterpart, I can't stand that show.
    Is S2 going to follow Boimler on the Titan rather than the Cerritos? I'm thinking probably not.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

This is the best idea.

Also at first glance I thought your signature was the answer to the question posed by the video.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Janeway: "So you're saying I could murder the whole crew over and over, while also conjuring new people out of thin air that I'll get to murder a few hours later? Who the fuck needs coffee this is my new drug!"

edited June 2021
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Finally got around to watching all of Lower Decks after kind of hating it/bouncing off of it the first time round. It's definitely more suited to binge-watching rather than waiting weeks for episodes, that really helped.
    I think I can kind of see the appeal now (ep9 had me in stitches), I just wish they hadn't made Boimler look almost exactly like his 'Final Space' counterpart, I can't stand that show.
    Is S2 going to follow Boimler on the Titan rather than the Cerritos? I'm thinking probably not.

S2 speculative spoilers:
    The trailer seems to imply that he's a screw up on the Titan. He's the star player on the Cerritos because he kisses all the ass and picks up all the slack. That works on a workhorse ship full of command crew in career dead ends and lower decks full of screw ups, rejects, and mid tier academy graduates.

The Titan is a prestige ship, though. It's not the Enterprise, but it's not far off. They will have no slack to pick up and direct boot licking won't fly with Riker, leaving him with just his usual performance, which even in the Cerritos was adequate at best.

My guess is he gets bounced off the Titan in episode 1

Hevach on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Tuvixception is clearly the way to go. Tuvix all the Tuvixes. It's Tuvixes all the way down.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

S2 speculative spoilers:
    The trailer seems to imply that he's a screw up on the Titan. He's the star player on the Cerritos because he kisses all the ass and picks up all the slack. That works on a workhorse ship full of command crew in career dead ends and lower decks full of screw ups, rejects, and mid tier academy graduates.

The Titan is a prestige ship, though. It's not the Enterprise, but it's not far off. They will have no slack to pick up and direct boot licking won't fly with Riker, leaving him with just his usual performance, which even in the Cerritos was adequate at best.

My guess is he gets bounced off the Titan in episode 1
    Boimler ends up having a conversation with Captain Riker very very similar to the one blueshirt Picard got in Tapestry.

"Watch this, Lis. You can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half!"

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Alternatively: Tuvix Neelix with a photon torpedo and shoot it at the first available target.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Now I’m picturing a civilization that regularly uses transporter technology this way to fuse and defuse and back again

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    Is it wrong to have really enjoyed Season 1 and 2 of Next Generation? Just stepping into season 3 and the first few episodes just seemed to drag in my opinion. And then I get to the episode about the Romulan defector and my faith in the series is restored.
    I've probably seen all of the popular episodes of TNG by now, but this rewatch represents my first ever viewing of each episode in sequence start to season finish. I missed out on a lot.
    Such a good time to watch Star Trek for me. It is my palate cleanser to all the darker, edgy shows that mistake cynicism for intelligence.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Enjoy what you enjoy. Don't let other people bring you down.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Man if their transporters were precise enough to create/separate merged beings at-will then why can't they just tune the transporter whatevers to act as a pathogen filter - during transport you just separate all of the bad stuff into a bin.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    1 and 2 are fine

Except for the time that the Enterprise left the planet of impoverished, warp-capable narcotic addicts who’d been tricked into becoming Narcotic Addicts by their neighboring world of wealthy narcotics pushers, who lied about their continued symptoms being the result of the illness said narcotics were supposed to treat still persisting instead of, you know, withdrawal.

That one is kind of fucked up in retrospect, Prime Directive be damned

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Man if their transporters were precise enough to create/separate merged beings at-will then why can't they just tune the transporter whatevers to act as a pathogen filter - during transport you just separate all of the bad stuff into a bin.

Define "bad stuff" without getting into eugenics on the top end (if you're talking genetic imperfections), or weakening the immune system on the bottom end (if you're talking bacterial/virus), both of which have their own problems.

• NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular

It's surprising what the show writers could do to solve a problem or present one with the technology of the series.

Lanz wrote: »
    1 and 2 are fine

Except for the time that the Enterprise left the planet of impoverished, warp-capable narcotic addicts who’d been tricked into becoming Narcotic Addicts by their neighboring world of wealthy narcotics pushers, who lied about their continued symptoms being the result of the illness said narcotics were supposed to treat still persisting instead of, you know, withdrawal.

The one with James T Kirk's son, only this time he's an alien?
    That was kind of a bummer episode. Picard just leaves them in disgust and walks away.

1 and 2 are fine

A Picard problem that required a Sisko solution. It's not breaking the Prime Directive if oops they "accidentally" heard us talking about it.

MorganV wrote: »

Define "bad stuff" without getting into eugenics on the top end (if you're talking genetic imperfections), or weakening the immune system on the bottom end (if you're talking bacterial/virus), both of which have their own problems.

I'm just going to ignore that you brought up eugenics because you and I both know that's not what I'm talking about, but weakening the immune system isn't even a situation that enters into the equation in the context of alien pathogens and toxins our bodies clearly weren't evolved to handle to begin with. Transporters would only be a reactive treatment, Priority One would naturally be to get them out of the victim first and then you can worry about sequencing preventatives afterward. There's no reason to just let it run rampant in your victim while you maybe try and get a treatment made in time.

But the fact that the transporters transport your entire body's microbiome to begin with - including the implications of merging and separating two microbiomes from two different creatures like with Tuvix - is one of those things where it's best chalked up to "maybe don't think about the specifics too hard".

Biofilters were explicitly mentioned in the TNG tech manual and other material as a new feature/improvement over the TOS transporters (among others, such as being able to use them without lowering shields). Writers, predictably, proceeded to either ignore or handwave away this function whenever it would be inconvenient.

Biofilters were explicitly mentioned in the TNG tech manual and other material as a new feature/improvement over the TOS transporters (among others, such as being able to use them without lowering shields). Writers, predictably, proceeded to either ignore or handwave away this function whenever it would be inconvenient.

Sounds about right.

They were mentioned all the time in the show, usually in the context of them not working on something for reasons.

If real life were a TV show or movie, every week we'd have to have someone explaining why the seat belts, air bags, fuses, cell phones, etc etc weren't working today.

If real life were a show we'd hibernate for days or months at a time and could only exist, let alone learn and develop as people, during an interesting crisis.

• evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Is it wrong to have really enjoyed Season 1 and 2 of Next Generation? Just stepping into season 3 and the first few episodes just seemed to drag in my opinion. And then I get to the episode about the Romulan defector and my faith in the series is restored.
    I've probably seen all of the popular episodes of TNG by now, but this rewatch represents my first ever viewing of each episode in sequence start to season finish. I missed out on a lot.
    Such a good time to watch Star Trek for me. It is my palate cleanser to all the darker, edgy shows that mistake cynicism for intelligence.

My feeling is that even the much-maligned season 1 is only really bad for the first half, and even that first half has interesting episodes, they're just not shot in an great way. Which is a barrier to enjoying the episodes, but if you're willing to get past that barrier, good for you.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Enjoy what you enjoy. Don't let other people bring you down.

Just never tell anyone you enjoyed Matter of Honor.

steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Now I’m picturing a civilization that regularly uses transporter technology this way to fuse and defuse and back again

So it's like the Borg but in one dude?

Aside from a few truly awful episodes, Season 1 is actually pretty solid for the most part. Spiner knocks it out of the park from the start, Tasha is good, and Crusher being horny for a totally oblivious Picard is hilarious.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

There's nothing wrong with enjoying something other people don't like. (ie I think disco and picard are bad and i'll post about it but I'm not gonna begrudge somebody for liking them)

S1 and S2 were amazing in the 80s and early 90s but I've seen all those episodes so many times that I'm sick of them, I don't think they hold up vs the later seasons and i'm comfortable skipping them. But that's just me! Even a 'bad' TNG episode has good stuff in there.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

So it's like the Borg but in one dude?

Tuvix didn't share Neelix's or Tuvok's thoughts.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    They do reference biofilters in the transporters. Mostly when the transporter missed one and a sickness broke out. So I assume their transporters just filter out all known viruses and other dangerous stuff but aren't perfect.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

S1 and S2 are not near as bad as some parts of the internet like to pretend. They aren't near as good as the rest of the show and the production values feel a good chunk worse imo but there's still solid episodes in there and overall, aside from some stinkers, it's watchable.

One thing I would say is that S1 and S2 imo tend to contain episodes that are cringe-inducingly bad whereas later seasons' bad episode tend to just be boring.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah i imagine we could use the transporter operating on here's the data image of you from before you beamed down and comparing it to now we see you have a bunch of new matter in your blood that we are going to eliminate. But then there'd be this line of what about brain matter, what about oxygen in the lungs, what about...

then you think, well if they have this pattern of a person, and they are converting energy to a pattern, they could literally just clone some people and have an infinite supply of Picards running all of starfleet.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just got to the DS9 episode where Quark and Odo crash land and have to survive together. Quark screaming "Fascist!" At Odo while they fought was great.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

S1 and S2 are not near as bad as some parts of the internet like to pretend. They aren't near as good as the rest of the show and the production values feel a good chunk worse imo but there's still solid episodes in there and overall, aside from some stinkers, it's watchable.

One thing I would say is that S1 and S2 imo tend to contain episodes that are cringe-inducingly bad whereas later seasons' bad episode tend to just be boring.

We restarted season one this morning, and I tell you what, following Farpoint with a cocktail of The Naked Now and Code of Honor was…not a good choice.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    They do reference biofilters in the transporters. Mostly when the transporter missed one and a sickness broke out. So I assume their transporters just filter out all known viruses and other dangerous stuff but aren't perfect.
    well, just imagine if they were more proactive.

"oh no! what happened to the Ambassador?"
    "Let me check... oh yeah, he's in the Biofilter. Hold on..."
    *right clicks on the recycling bin icon, 'restore' *

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Just got to the DS9 episode where Quark and Odo crash land and have to survive together. Quark screaming "Fascist!" At Odo while they fought was great.

I mean....

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    well, just imagine if they were more proactive.

"oh no! what happened to the Ambassador?"
    "Let me check... oh yeah, he's in the Biofilter. Hold on..."
    *right clicks on the recycling bin icon, 'restore' *

How do you think Riker isn't a petridish of STIs?

Why wrap it up when you can just biofilter yourself afterwards

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I mean....

Odo thinks you can have a little fascism, as a treat

rRwz9.gif
    Odo is the embodiment of Lawful Neutral. He has no opinions on fascism but, but if the law is fascism then his job isn't to challenge or interpret it to anyone's particular benefit.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Odo is the embodiment of Lawful Neutral. He has no opinions on fascism but, but if the law is fascism then his job isn't to challenge or interpret it to anyone's particular benefit.

Isn't slavish devotion to to law, which is an extention of the state, with no allowance for moral or ethical objection, basically fascism?

This discussion has been closed.