As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Slay the Spire] Silently Watching the Defective Ironclad Heart.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have been thinking of picking this up on Android, does anyone here have any experience with it? Some of the reviews are pretty harsh about the controls and general clunkiness.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I have been thinking of picking this up on Android, does anyone here have any experience with it? Some of the reviews are pretty harsh about the controls and general clunkiness.

It's... okay. Mine crashes occasionally, but that may just be i'm on an older model of phone? It does feel like it's not optimized all that well for android. Def a little clunky vs using mouse, but my phone is also rather small vs my fairly biggish hands

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Finally, finally picked this up for Switch this week and have been digging it. Still just a dumb baby, but improving. Going on vacation next week and looking forward to sinking more time into it.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

It's... okay. Mine crashes occasionally, but that may just be i'm on an older model of phone? It does feel like it's not optimized all that well for android. Def a little clunky vs using mouse, but my phone is also rather small vs my fairly biggish hands

It's been patched a few times since release and is more stable/less buggy as well, at least compared to the release version on Android. Honestly it's fine and it's on the latest version of the game as well, which makes it a step above a lot of the other ports at the moment.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    For those looking for a different take on the StS experience, you might want to check out Roguebook. It's very similar to StS with some unique gameplay mechanics (two heroes at once, map that you reveal, etc) that make it stand out. I made a thread for it if we want to discuss it.

https://youtu.be/dGOX85g6Td8

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    A friend picked that up the other day and absolutely loves it. I'll probably check it out when I have more time to do so.

Otherwise, sometimes the game just throws you a bone, I guess. I barely cleared act one, and then somehow in act 2 I realized I had basically stopped taking damage, and then act 3 was much the same. >_> Sadly I took 1 damage from Deca+Donu, so no double-perfect for the Act 3 bosses. :p
    wsgget4mb29l.png

I've stopped playing StS until the iOS update hits. I wanna play with those buffed cards!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I bought the Android version a little while ago. The controls are indeed a bit klunky (once a card is selected, you need to very carefully swipe off to the side and down to avoid accidentally playing it, or to select another card) but my biggest issue is that it sometimes just loses your runs.

If you stop playing before a run is finished, there's no guarantee it will be there to continue when you start the app again.

Tarantio wrote: »
    I bought the Android version a little while ago. The controls are indeed a bit klunky (once a card is selected, you need to very carefully swipe off to the side and down to avoid accidentally playing it, or to select another card) but my biggest issue is that it sometimes just loses your runs.

If you stop playing before a run is finished, there's no guarantee it will be there to continue when you start the app again.

I haven't had an issue with this yet since it came out on Android, but I also save/exit a run from the options menu if I have to stop playing for a while. If the accidental card swipe thing happens, you can do the same trick and it will restart you back at the beginning of the fight.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I think the lost runs are because of the syncing, which I really wish I could turn off. If you play the game without a solid signal, you run the risk of losing your run.

edited June 2021
    I think the lost runs are because of the syncing, which I really wish I could turn off. If you play the game without a solid signal, you run the risk of losing your run.

I don't use the syncing, so maybe that's why.

Naphtali on
    Naphtali wrote: »

How? I couldn't find a way to turn it off.

Naphtali wrote: »

How? I couldn't find a way to turn it off.

I just mash clicking on the screen instead of the "log into google play" prompts and the game eventually loads

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I bought it and played about 20 hours of it recently. The controls are sub-par, but it's still one of the most enjoyable phone games I have right now.

I would possibly consider, though, looking at more mobile native progeny in this genre. There are some good ones that cribbed from StS but work better on phones.

What is this I don't even.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So.. uh..

My brother got me into this game. He's played it a lot more than I have, and has gotten better at figuring out what builds work and how to climb stuff -- things others here are graciously trying to beat into my head, but I still am struggling.

Anyways, he sent me this, with the comment "I won this."

cY9lCLDh.png

Dude found a hell of a lightning build, it seems! :D

d0TNDZUh.png

His first 3 pickups were defragments, and his main engine was Machine Learning + Storm.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Remember that perfect-relic discard build I had a little bit ago?

Just had this run tonight:

Necronomicon put in a lot of work here. As did the final shop letting me bottle Caltrops+ to really mess up the Heart (although I'm pretty sure I lose that fight w/o Torii).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Whoa, 22 minutes on a14. That’s intense. I started trying for the 20 minute achievement the other day, so I can kinda see it with practice.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I picked this up the other day, and have managed to slay one spire with the defect. I feel like I should maybe add less cards to my deck, but more stuff is always so tempting.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    I picked this up the other day, and have managed to slay one spire with the defect. I feel like I should maybe add less cards to my deck, but more stuff is always so tempting.

More cards are always temping, but it's important to get the right card when you need it, and more cards make that more difficult.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Issues I have:
    It takes ages to load initially, "syncing" or some such nonsense.
    It crashed very infrequently.
    When it does so there is a chance it will eat your save game.
    The UI cuts off the cards a lot so you can't see them especially the ones on the sides.
    When selecting a card it stays selected so you can end up playing cards accidentally.
    It slows down occasionally.

However all that said, it works a treat and is a good way to play it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Thank you all for your help. Going to hold off until they update I think. Will still keep it in my wishlist.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited June 2021
    If they update (Android version is the latest). I'm under the impression they're pretty much done.

BionicPenguin on
    As far as I know, they're planning on updating iOS to the most recent patch and calling it quits.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited July 2021
    t2h5v5n3g7zn.jpeg

This is certainly a hot take from Amaz. I can’t agree with everything, Black Star is not F tier, but it’s mostly solid. I’d imagine @“the zombie penguin” could craft a better tier list.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, i'm looking at some of that stuff and going what the fuck.

No really, WHAT THE FUCK.

WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK WHAT THE FUCK @MNC Dover WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THIS

I mean, i wouldnt actually make a tier list because tier lists in StS are bad and encourage very bad ways of thinking about the game. I have taken and benefited from every relic in the game except maybe the hand drill, and i can still see places where that'd be good. It's just niche

But there's some insanely bad stuff in there. stuff that jumps out: Brimstone, Black star and INK BOTTLE!? down in F tier is what. Actually, Blue Candle too. and Frozen Eye, i mean, i hate Frozen eye and never take it, but that's a playstyle thing - you just need to watch the best player in the world (Jorbs) play to see how fucking bonkers Frozen Eye is.

Clockwork down in B? That's a fucking s tier if we're doing this. Snecko in A? Snecko is probably the single most powerful relic in the game. Same with runic pyramid. Like if i had to rate relics on sheer power, i'd be putting Runic and Snecko right at the very top of the game - nothing else comes close. Why is the fucking kite in A? and makr of pain? How did you rate those higher than Pandora's box or self forming clay!?

Wing boots in C? what?

Damara? down in D, like again, what. Lighting in a bottle is down there too, and N'loths gift - that thing is fucking crazy, it's just a very invisible amount of future value so people always underestimate it.

I actually have to assume the guy is trolling or simply does not understand the game in some places to come up with the ratings he's come up with.
    ----

Okay silly ranting aside... seriously, the real issue with reviewing this is a: The only real way to tier list cards/relics in StS is applicability. every card and relic in StS is capable of being crazy, except maybe tiny house. But the context of is a card strong shifts like crazy. Remember how i talk about routing in this game - Elites -> Shops & Campfires -> Events -> Normal fights... and i always, always always emphasis that this assumes no relics and no other conditions because when you have those the value of everything i just listed changes. a shop with 999 gold and courier is so much better than an elite it's not funny. A normal fight with Prayer wheel, Question card and Singing bowl is starting to compete with an elite fight for sheer value, and if you add N'loths gift into that, it might actually outdo an elite fight. (Probably not, but you get the point).

Heck, relics can make other relics way weaker. Like Snecko eye means you basically Do Not Want Ninja Scroll, because it fucks your opening hand up immensely (Snecko on silent is a 9 card opening hand, so you loose 2 cards thanks to Ninja Scroll - and getting a bunch of shivs is not exactly an exciting thing when you're playing Snecko silent). Conversely, the Necromnomicon/Blue Candle (Spice with Self-forming Clay and Feel No Pain) combo is one any aspiring Ironclad player should know because of it's crazy results. Dead Branch is really good, really really good, yet it's a surprisingly good decision to dump it on the ground and walk off a lot of the time, even if you don't have runic pyramid. so on so forth.

The other thing is what difficulty is this made for? Runic Pyramid is insane... if you're on A15+ where controlling your cards becomes immensely more valuable. Likewise brimstone's risk and reward starts spiking up then. Clockwork, Orange Pellets etcera all get better when the Heart exists and is going to try and slap you silly with Vulnerable, Frail and Weak on turn 1. Du Vu Doll is way better at A10+ than it is at A0-9. Etcera.

So, yeah. You're not gonna get a tier list out of me because they're dumb and promote bad habits, but also i dont evne know what this tier list is for.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Honestly, I only had to go as far as spotting Ninja Scroll in S-tier to know I didn't need to go further. Should we know who Amaz is or why their opinion is worth reviewing?

Honestly, I only had to go as far as spotting Ninja Scroll in S-tier to know I didn't need to go further. Should we know who Amaz is or why their opinion is worth reviewing?

They seem to be a random streamer claiming to be The Best, and i honestly cant tell if that's trolling, a bit they're doing or whatever. I flicked through their stream and they play faster than i do and wiped out to the Heart, so... *shrug*

As said tier lists in this game are just dumb, so the fact they're bothering to tier list tells me they're probably not worth dedicating brain power too

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

Former big-deal Hearthstone guy.

E: Possibly current? Dover would know. I don't follow Hearthstone anymore.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Amaz stopped playing Hearthstone a few years back and moved to other games. I do believe he’s trolling with this tier list so I wouldn’t take it seriously.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Amaz is definitely the type of person to troll for funsies. I stopped watching a while back, but he was definitely a good-natured troll :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    After trying to finish A20 with the soldier guy, and failing for over a week, I decided to take a break and switch to the Watcher, who was stuck on A12. Managed to clear A12 and 13 back to back, which did my ego good.

In the last fight, I had 4 mantras going, and was going Akira every turn.

I had 2 Brilliance cards that were doing 130 damage each in the last turn.

Even then, I had less than 10 health left when he went down.

edited August 2021

Was a good mix of 0s and Frosts. After I couldn't heal I only took 20 damage from Awakened One and 2 from the Heart.

Also, does raising max hp do anything when you can't heal? The blue relic I took was tied to Singing Bowl after that event.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Was a good mix of 0s and Frosts. After I couldn't heal I only took 20 damage from Awakened One and 2 from the Heart.

Also, does raising max hp do anything when you can't heal? The blue relic I took was tied to Singing Bowl after that event.

Good question, your max health and actual health increase, but I assume that doesn't count as healing ?

I've never taken the 'can't heal' option...

edited August 2021
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Good question, your max health and actual health increase, but I assume that doesn't count as healing ?

I've never taken the 'can't heal' option...

Yeah I'm almost always War there but the sheer number of upgrades (like 90% of my deck wasn't upgraded) was too amazing to ignore this time and with all of my Frost I was basically invulnerable anyway.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    It does nothing, you get the increase but no healing so it's pointless.

Upgrade everything is really really powerful, depending on the deck. I think the best I've ever done is 20+ upgrades including apparitions

That's what I figured. I also had to read Lizard Tail a couple of times before making the correct decision not to buy it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    The iOS update is live! I can finally get back to climbing with all the current changes.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Are you ready for shivs to be way better?

Are you ready for shivs to be way better?

Oh I love me some Shiv decks. I was trying to make them work pre-patch and was blown away at the archetype getting buffs. Of course, they may not be good, but who cares! 0-cost cards GOOOO!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Nah they're a lot more viable now. Poison is still nuts, but poison is just too good in general (it's catalysts fault)