Western reveal trailer:Class gameplay:
This OP is a work in progress, pardon the dust.What is Lost Ark?
An isometric, ARPG MMO created by South Korean developer Smilegate, being published in the west by Amazon Game Studios.
It is currently the biggest MMO in Korea, where it's been out since late 2018. Released in Russia the year after, and Japan the next.And what about here?
Delayed release now set for "Early 2022". It'll be hitting all of North America and much of Europe, precise list here:
Closed beta 11/4 to 11/11.How much?
Free on release, with three pre-order "Founder's Pack" options you can buy on Steam, priced at $15, $25, $50 and $100. On release there will be a cash shop with the standard MMO cash shop fare - cosmetics and conveniences primarily. More on this later.So what's the draw?
First things first, this game is pretty.
It packs some of the best skill animations you've probably ever seen, and the environments and creatures are nearly as good. Visually, this thing is on point. More importantly though, it plays as good as it looks. Some of the slickest and most satisfying ARPG combat I've encountered yet. Fluid and substantial, has a bit of a Monster Hunter meets Diablo meets Devil May Cry type of feel to it.Classes?
Lots of 'em. 5 main classes, and you proceed to your final subclass very early. 14 subclasses upon western release, with 4-5 more that have since been released in other regions. Each class has its own unique 'Identity' mechanic.
We've got...(actual details to come)
Features and systems?
- Berserker - Fighter class. A greatsword wielder so you'd naturally assume slow and heavy hitting, but Berserker has fast skill animations and is still heavy hitting. Has self crit buffs and a party wide damage buff. If you like big damage numbers you'll probably have fun playing this class
- Paladin - One of two "support" classes on release. Does have a more damage support feel to it than Bard. Tankier than most, has a party heal and a debuff cleanse (which Bard does not have). Has a lot of sword skills, and can very much be played like more of a straight fighter.
- Gunlancer - The closest thing to a traditional tank in Lost Ark. Is naturally the tankiest of all the classes with the highest HP/Armor scaling. Has a lot of party wide utility with shields and the only aggro skill in the game (albeit more limited than more traditional tanks). Last thing to note is that its mobility skill (Spacebar) is a backstep, and will take some time getting used to. Still capable of dealing good damage, often from medium range.
- Wardancer - The first of the Martial classes, a melee fighter with light gauntlets. Has a lot of mobility and party wide utility.
- Scrapper - Similar to Wardancer, but with heavy gauntlets. Emphasis on slower, chunkier hits. An all rounder class that has good damage, party utility, and impairment (depleting a boss's impairment bar will make them stagger). You can feel the impact of each skill. Not lacking in any department.
- Soulfist - The last Martial class available on NA release, except more of a focus on range and spells. Basically Goku. Has probably the hardest hitting ability in the game - don't miss with it since it's a significant source of your damage.
- Deadeye/Gunslinger - Gunner classes. Skills are extremely flashy, super mobile. Has the most skills of any class because their identity trait is based around swapping between pistol, shotgun and rifle. High skill cap, high skill floor class. Glass cannon. (Classes in Lost Ark are gender locked, so Gunslinger is the female version of Deadeye, though there are actual gameplay differences - just not hugely significant ones.)
- Artillerist - The tankiest, least mobile Gunner class. Self shields, lots of AoE, damage and impairment. Has a massive blaster as a weapon, is basically a siege tank.
- Sharpshooter - Bow user - good damage, good range, good impairment. Kind of an overlooked class, not played so often but still very good. Kind of a hunter but with some stealth openers. Identity skill is a hawk summon.
- Bard - Has almost everything you can ask for from a support. Heals, shields, Damage buff, and Attack speed buff. Naturally squishy but optimal end game builds does end up making you tankier than most classes, and has a lower skill floor. Although a Bard in a party is not required for content, you will make everyone else in the party happier just by joining. Initially immobile because of no mobility skills besides the basic one, but makes up for it later on with agility (movement speed). Does not do as much damage themselves but more than makes up for it. Will basically never have trouble finding groups end game.
- Sorceress - A class that is relatively newer overall but has replaced Summoner as one of the two mage options for global launch. Conventional elemental type mage.
- Shadowhunter - One of the two Assassin classes available at launch, skills are based around demonic power and temporarily transforming into a ridiculously potent demon for a time. Fun class, very fluid, with a lot of potential range for a melee class.
- Deathblade - Dual sword wielding Assassin class. Flashy and mobile, versatile in how they deal damage. Generally considered kind of a class for DPS tryhards and PvPers.
This game has most of the standard MMO fare covered. Pets, mounts, guilds, professions, crafting, dungeons, raids, a bit of PvP. In lieu of talents, there is a skill customization system, with each skill having three tiers of options that drastically change the power and nature of the skill.
Other features - private player housing, a considerable amount of collection and exploration systems with permanent bonuses, a system for improving your relationships with certain NPCs to unlock quests and rewards, a card collection game with equippable cards for buffs and set bonuses, ocean adventures, it really does go on. None of these features are tacked on or half-assed though, if something is a feature it tends to have a lot going on with it. (Not certain if the player housing will be in the western release at launch.)Anything else to add?
Yeah, a fuckload. But I'm going to get this OP out there for now and add to it over time!