As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Well things just got interesting. The ruler of Russia (Which is HUGE) just died without an heir and willed everything to a one province county in northern Anatolia, and for some reason it asked me if i want to contest for some reason. I'm playing France, and have had Russia rivaled for much of the game to fill up a rival slot, but have pretty much never interacted with them. When it asked me, i was in the middle of a war where i was helping my ally Hungary in a crusade vs Ottomans, and because of that i had a rather large army about two provinces away in Anatolia. I wrapped up my war against native Americans, and hit "contest", and sent that Army to that one province. Like a second layer Ottomans surrender and Hungary takes most of the remaining Ottoman land in Europe, including Constantinople.

On their side: the one province, giant Russia, 2 province Riga, and like 5 province Russian vassal in the Caucasus.
    On my side: France (holding all of France, most of northern Italy, all but one in Ireland, about half of England, Sardinia and Sicily, Rome and Perugia), my North American Colonies holding most of the continent except for West side, my vassal Aragon, Brandenburg, a huge Hungary (they swallowed up Poland/Lithiania, the Balkans, Romania, and central Italy).

I think i come out of this ahead, but I'm not sure what I'm actually supposed to do for inheritance war. Does taking over that one province in North Anatolia won this thing for me? Because that would be crackerjack nuts.

The war goal will be to occupy Moscow, but taking out the OPM means they'll be really keen to negotiate. Take that, rush Moscow, and you should be fine. If you can, kill as many Russian troops as possible, because the weaker they are, the less disloyal they'll be.

And remember when you win, get their opinion of you positive ASAP. If your ruler dies while their opinion of you is negative, the PU will end.

Hmmm going to have check my age when i get home, i think I'm 60+.. rut roh!

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2021
    PU with Russia obtained! And comes with free sub-vassal of Riga.

Furiously improving relations and influencing. I feel like i sent an army of kissasses now to kiss the bubus from my actual army.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    it asked me if i want to contest for some reason. I'm playing France, and have had Russia rivaled for much of the game to fill up a rival slot, but have pretty much never interacted with them.

When a nation is going to fall under a PU, there's an opportunity for a succession war. I forget the exact details but I believe that the game picks the strongest nation out of the junior and senior partner's rivals. It's to simulate the War of Spanish Succession, where Austria and England contested France's PU over Spain (which is an oversimplification)

AnteCantelope on
    That makes sense.
    And this is the furthest extent I've ever "conquered" in this game. Even colonization i was late to this time so it's mostly conquored land in NA. Have had more colonized before as Spain or England. I know it's small potatoes for most of you guys that do full world conquest all one cultur and relugion from a one province minor start, but it's a big deal to me

steam_sig.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    oh no, i have gone into victoria 2 mods where nobody's supposed to go
    C5EC04ED7734703D8E8B469E564A2F9BDA3D5108
    BA28CA44D8F60D5267B1790715116418858E0EC0

Gundi on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That's not any of the mods for Victoria 2 that I am familiar with, looks like it might be a shattered world style thing? I've only played PDM (not really a fan, it seemed to add complexity for its own sake in several aspects), HPM (quite good, as I'm sure most people playing Victoria 2 are aware) and Divergences of Darkness (basically HPM but with a different starting scenario based off of somebody's EU3 game I believe, pretty fun). I haven't tried HFM yet (I hear good things) or Napoleon's Legacy (Napoleon succeeds, his successors are nowhere near as competent, seems interesting) but I am aware of them. Any particular ones that I didn't mention that people might recommend?

steam_sig.png
    Yeah it's a shattered world submod for a historical immersion submod.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Oh no imagine spheres in that world

I might have another go at trying to trigger A Crown from the Gutter in India

It's my favorite event in the game, but the problem with playing in India is that you have to kinda depend on something else messing up Britain

Platy wrote: »
    I might have another go at trying to trigger A Crown from the Gutter in India

It's my favorite event in the game, but the problem with playing in India is that you have to kinda depend on something else messing up Britain

I played a game as Mughals in HPM, that was a lot of fun. There were some downsides, like not getting every culture accepted (the southern area of the subcontinent in particular, though there were various areas I was never able to state outside of that as well) and the continual "x culture group is now mad for reasons" events that would not stop triggering (not even after I secularized!) and would even trigger on my primary culture. I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with those events, my guess is they are meant to fire to make the British do something other than abuse the area for resources and manpower, but they sure were annoying. I might try another game as one of the Indian nations that starts in the southern area that can actually form India (Mughals is unable to form India itself and is stuck as Mughals) and see if that way I can avoid the unending unrest events.

I've heard things become a lot more difficult in the most recent HFM patches. Also I'm kind of curious about A Crown from the Gutter for India, I know that Germany can do it but I had no idea it was possible for India.

steam_sig.png
    Dithmarschen in 1610

80qzg05kyfia.jpg

I was trying to see how much of Germany I could eat before Absolutism by stacking -Aggressive Expansion and Improve Relations

I could stack Administrative Efficiency at this point but ideally you'd not want such a huge Austria around if you want to go for WC from this position

i heard you like peasant revolts so i put a peasant revolt in your peasant revolt

Just got the Napoleon's Ambition achievement, and it's the opposite of Big Blue Blob. Long, boring, annoying, unfun. The worst part is when you declare your 'spread the revolution' war, occupy the enemy's territory, and occupying it spreads the revolution so you can't enforce it in your peace deal, which means you can't progress the achievement. And all your neighbours start embracing the revolution and you have to start invading Africa and India just to find 10 damn countries to spread the revolution to.

On the plus side, I stated almost all of Europe and built up Paris to about 800 dev. My capital was nearly an empire on its own!

Burgundy's back, back again
    FE06D1CD530CFBA783A625802C5E4A167EF5DA54

I'm experiencing some wacky behavior - in one case all of my allies got a "They Broke Off from Our Personal Union" CB on me because Austria's PU with Hungary ended during the war. This was of course campaign-ending since this will automatically make the AI switch to Domineering attitude.

Also the way the AI handles Governing Capacity is pretty... bad. Spain formed and immediately released all of Aragon (!) to lower their Governing Capacity. This Aragon ended up with 97% Liberty Desire because it doesn't have any Historical Friend modifier with Spain.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Great Yuan started as Mongolia and going for Great Khan

55% cav attack is hilarious, I should also have like 8 merchants but swapping the capital to Beijing for forming Yuan destroyed 3 of em until I sent it back to Kazan cause tc'ing all of China is hilarious

3mkfqzw0t064.jpg

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited June 2021
    With my current mod pack for Vic 2 that I've changed to playing as Mexico is rough,
    259B7493A5AA96E28C3077909A725386E38041BE
    This involved an eight year guerilla war fought to a grueling bloody stalemate to avoid giving up the northwest territories, and then another three year war in the middle of the civil war to take back Texas. The mods both had the US start noticably stronger, and also Mexico is much weaker due to having a bunch of events to simulate all the bad stuff and turmoil that happened in Mexico after Santa Anna's coups and all the countercoups, civil wars, and seperatist movements that resulted from his rise to power and abridgement of the federal constitution.
    606189590E2A0D01796B0AE3568BE89991D71DF3
    On the plus side, while this modpack makes Mexico's early game much harder, it does have a few nice decisions if you should manage to triumph over the Americans. Like for instance one giving you cores on most of Central America.

Gundi on
    edited June 2021
    90% Administrative Efficiency German Peasant Junta

eiljf4rr8pdz.jpg
    eimcyu6zl1lb.jpg

Platy on
    687E3A4DE19BD6C961BD27461C47ABF211238E6F

Got Shahansha! That was way harder than Big Blue Blob, I was low on manpower and deep in debt for most of the run. Nobody declared on Ajam, so I had to take them on myself. When I finally got an alliance with Qara Qoyunlu they were immediately attacked by the Mamluks, and after I survived that war they were attacked by the Ottomans and I noped out. I regret deving for the Renaissance, it was costing like 150 mana per click but sunk cost fallacy so I kept doing it, and then I was decades behind on tech anyway so what was the point?

Now, I'll try to go on for This Is Persia, but the Ottomans are hungry and unfriendly so this might not go much farther.

yeah i recall going for "This is Persia" starting as Adrabil is pretty rough.

So I've been contemplating another run in Victoria 2, but I can't decide which combination of mods and nation to go for. I've enjoyed HPM runs of USA, Russia, Prussia, Mughals, Japan plus DoD runs of Muscovy, Belgian Confederation and Tungning. I'm not super fantastic at the game really, and I haven't taken part in the Scramble for Africa yet so maybe somebody that can do that like France? I generally try to play within the bounds of what I consider a reasonable alt-history, so I don't like conquering some random high population unciv province to use its manpower to further my ambitions, or taking out some tiny German minor to boost my literacy for better research or things like that.

steam_sig.png
    I read a while back that if you have 80+ trust with an ally, they won't ditch your alliance. Well, if that was ever true, it's not any more. I built up to 95 trust with the Ottomans, then fought the Mamluks to take Syria and cut that avenue of expansion off. The day I peaced out the Mamluks, the Ottos got -200 opinion of me and dropped our alliance. Bugger.

I built up troops and improved relations with their rivals, then as soon as they got in a war with Venice I allied Commonwealth and attacked. We were outclassed, but I got some Syrian cores and for some reason they've now lost their 'desire your provinces' opinion penalty, so I might be able to ally them again soon? Unfortunately I've lost all trust and favours though.

80+ Trust unfortunately only protects you from your allies picking you as a rival

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    90% Administrative Efficiency German Peasant Junta

eiljf4rr8pdz.jpg
    eimcyu6zl1lb.jpg

Excuse me what the fuck

uH3IcEi.png
    That Cilli is the funnier part to me.

steam_sig.png
    I wanted to go and annex Ming in a single war after this but they had 2.5k dev so it was something like 190% warscore

chrisnl wrote: »
    So I've been contemplating another run in Victoria 2, but I can't decide which combination of mods and nation to go for. I've enjoyed HPM runs of USA, Russia, Prussia, Mughals, Japan plus DoD runs of Muscovy, Belgian Confederation and Tungning. I'm not super fantastic at the game really, and I haven't taken part in the Scramble for Africa yet so maybe somebody that can do that like France? I generally try to play within the bounds of what I consider a reasonable alt-history, so I don't like conquering some random high population unciv province to use its manpower to further my ambitions, or taking out some tiny German minor to boost my literacy for better research or things like that.
    The Netherlands is a fun choice, if maybe a bit overpowered. You start with almost all of indonesia which is like the third most valuable piece of real estate in the game after China and India, and you have the option of going to war to take Belgium at the start. They have great rgos and they start with a more profitable empire than most countries will get by game end. The start's only weakness is their location wedged right next to Germany, France, and the UK. They have a decent european population (especially if they reannex belgium) but it's dwarfed by their neighbors which makes getting dragged into land wars in Europe dicey.

Spain and portugal are also natural choices for some ahistorical empire building, as they're reasonably safe in Europe and both already have significant colonial possessions. Their big weaknesses are low starting literacy and, for Portugal, a not particularly impressive number of core pops. (unless you play one of the mods that lets you do something silly like reestablish and annex brazil)

Finally there's Scandinavia. As in taking either Sweden or Denmark and uniting them. You'll have great literacy, tons of ports, but be hampered a bit by your low population and population density.

This is Persia!

Got two really difficult achievements, and also grabbed the coalition achievement, which has eluded me for a long time.

74B49F3A31C07DE7B76176E9ADFF42F5AC6AF9A7
    0173620850F5DD9BDE5782DFF5286877E71B1B06

Glorious Scandinavian Empire... which lasted for like a decade longer before a great war wrecked me.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Today I learned you can't add "overseas" provinces to the HRE. And that despite having a direct land connection between Vienna and Jerusalem it's still "overseas" because it's not in Europe. Rude.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    HRE always had a hard lock on adding non-European provinces, although Anatolia counts as Europe for odd reasons. There were some exploits to get around this and force Ming into the HRE, but I'm not sure they work.

Anatolia is Europe because of the old overseas core mechanics but afterwards I think they just liked it

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    It's not a big deal, though I did feel like it would have been cool to get a Kingdom of Jerusalem into the Empire. I don't often play in the HRE as a Catholic but I'm rolling through an Austria campaign going for Voltaire's Nightmare as I go. My strategy this far has been moving east, taking provinces, converting them, adding them to the HRE, releasing them and ending vassalization.

I think I can get there after I get the reform where imperial princes don't take diplomacy slots. Probably just gonna release like 30 client states in Anatolia and Russia at that point.

edited July 2021
    So started up a new game of Vicky 2 yesterday. Did I decide to try out a country I haven't played before? Of course not! Instead I am taking my first dive into the HFM world, specifically ccHFM which brings in some of the fixes in HPM that HFM did not include, as Russia. Russia is my usual go-to for a grand strategy game, after all.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to abolish serfdom, but I'm not 100% sure how to read the list of requirements. I think I have to get a certain level of consciousness and a certain amount of liberals in my upper house, anybody got tips on ways to do that? I think certain technologies really up consciousness right? Which combined with improving literacy and eventually starting up some factories should get some more liberal sentiment in the country.

-edit- Oh I think I might also have to be at least a Constitutional Monarchy? These tooltips are actually kind of hard to read honestly.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2021
    Plurality and Literacy increase Consciousness, also always picking the event options which give it

Passing a reform will reduce it

You can build party support through national focuses but it feels like you probably won't need to do that for Liberals

Platy on
    It's been interesting playing Russia in HFM instead of HPM and noticing some of the smaller differences. Like I got some reforms through events and decisions that I don't recall getting in HPM, though it is closing in on 1900 and I still don't have any voting rights because apparently my people don't really want them. I've gotten above 70% literacy and my industry is chugging along nicely, I'm fully caught up on army techs but still behind elsewhere. I also managed to get rid of serfdom a bit earlier than I otherwise would have when the UK wanted an unequal treaty with my sphere member and ally Persia. I technically lost that war, but I didn't lose any land and only a few soldiers, and the UK didn't even take a treaty port so I'm not sure why they bothered but hey, I was able to abolish serfdom because I had lost a war in the past 5 years so I consider that a positive outcome.

I'm tempted to put the liberals in charge because I have plenty of capitalists and no tariffs and I'm still making plenty of money, and spend very little on industry subsidies. I'm pretty sure the liberals in Russia are one of the few liberal parties that is pro-military so I wouldn't even lose a ton of military score by doing so, but honestly the conservatives have been doing fine so I'm not sure it's worth the switch. I'm not certain how it would impact the makeup of my upper house and their desire for reforms, I'd kind of like to pass more reforms honestly. I guess I could fiddle around with trying to get more liberal party loyalty? I'm not sure that would really do much since I don't have elections, and I definitely want more clerks for the factory efficiency and research bonus.

I'm sad that none of the mods have found a way to address the issues with RGO size. By that I mean I have an area that I colonized, so the initial population was quite low and therefore the RGO has a very limited capacity, but I was able to get a massive pop growth and migration to happen and I have way more people living there than can possibly work in the oil fields. I dislike how the RGO size seems to be limited by the starting population, and the only "solutions" I've seen have been things like the Asian/African farms and mines modifier and the Treaty Port modifier that just give a massive boost to RGO size.

Overall I am liking ccHFM, I'll have to try out a few different nations after I finish up this Russia game.

steam_sig.png
    I avoid liberal governments because they make you unable to save your economy when it crashes (when you get dragged into a war for example)

They also dslike social reforms, maybe you could use them early in the game to pass political reforms

Stayed up way too late last night finishing up my ccHFM run as Russia, that was pretty interesting. I ended up the 1st ranked Great Power with the highest military and industry score and second highest prestige score behind the German Empire. I helped Germany dismantle both France and Austria-Hungary in the Great War, and I ended up with basically all of France's overseas colonies. I kept the Ottomans intact and in my sphere for the entire game (except when the Ottomans were a Great Power at the beginning of course). I ended up in a frankly insane alliance with Germany, Italy and Japan, and Japan was kind of crazy. They took Taiwan and Korea fairly early, and then (with my help) puppeted Fengtian/Manchukuo, took a massive chunk of coastal China from Anhui during the Warlord period, and then puppeted Anhui which was at that point the second largest nation (by population) behind only the UK. Japan actually had the second largest standing army (behind the USA) and the largest navy, but they must have had a non-jingoist government policy because they were behind me in military score. I have my doubts about the long-term viability of Japan holding onto Anhui, because Anhui was rapidly approaching GP status at the end and would almost certainly want Shanghai back.

I had some fun beating up on the UK a few times, I sank the Royal Navy in two different wars. I didn't have the option to dismantle them during the Third Great War which I think was because I hadn't yet researched Mass Politics? I probably could have held off on accepting a peace deal until after I finished researching that, but honestly I was pretty happy with the state of my empire at that point and just took the 36 Great War Capitulations. I'm not even certain that was the issue, but it is the only thing I could think of.

After Austria got dismantled I was able to create Romania, and Yugoslavia formed but not by my hand (I didn't not have every single core in my sphere, Italy had a couple on the coast) and there is something weird with the implementation of that country. They didn't have the Serbian cores so maybe that had something to do with it, but every now and then their entire army would disappear, they would drop to neutral standing with me, but were still in my sphere. They didn't fall to rebels or change their government type or even ruling party, just acted like they had formed the country again while somehow not leaving my sphere. It was very weird.

The weirdest thing of all was that for the last few years of the game, I didn't have any rebel factions anywhere in my empire. Not even in the former French colonies. I barely had any emigration, and while I had free press and a few social reforms, and wealth based voting, I was still only a semi-constitutional monarchy with little in the way of a social safety net. On the other hand my people had plenty of money to spend so I guess they were happy enough. Overall a fun run.

steam_sig.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I just had the Reformation not spawn until 1532. That's a lot.

Also made me realise how much I rely on the Religious Wars age ability for my midgame expansion.

RMS Oceanic on
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I just had the Reformation not spawn until 1532. That's a lot.

Also made me realise how much I rely on the Religious Wars age ability for my midgame expansion.

Yeah in my Florence-Mare Nostrum game the Reformation came somewhat early and allowed me to explode into Spain and northern Italy while they were preoccupied with the League War. Would have been a lot harder to stay on pace if it hadn't popped when it did.

uH3IcEi.png