As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Little one got bronchitis. And it's not the first time so it might be chronic and she might need daily treatment for a long while. Fuck fuck fuck

• amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Yeah, I didn't even touch on the financial and sanity investments for more than one child. Having a second kid is not twice the work, more like three to four times the work/stress/expenses.

I wanted to thank everyone for the support and the input last week. The in-laws picked up the baby stuff this past weekend and I didn't even cry. Reading this comment especially helped. XD

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I have managed to lose th eelection to be on my daycare board. There were three slots and four candidates. Oops!
    In better news, I genuinely thought all the other candidates were better than I was - and I voted for them. So that's good.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie is now entering the phase of "the dolls are actually having their own life" playing with Dolls.

there are doll pieces everywhere.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena has started copying her cousin's chipmunk laugh so I guess she just doesn't get to see that cousin anymore

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ellie is now entering the phase of "the dolls are actually having their own life" playing with Dolls.

there are doll pieces everywhere.

I remember that phase with my sister. It was actually pretty fun as a big brother.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Great, just great. I found a tick on my youngest's ear. It's hard enough combing her hair; she screams and cries every time. I think I'm going to have to pin her down just to remove it.

Not fun.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My son has been sporting a 100+ temperature the last 24 hours or so. It's gone as high as 104.

But the thing is, the way he's acting, you'd have no idea he has a temperature. Positive, happy, playing games, eating/drinking, and so on. I messaged my Aunt who's a retired nurse and she said that he should drink fluids and we should continue giving him fever reducers. As long as he's not presenting with issues like sluggishness or flu symptoms, then we shouldn't worry.

She mentioned that she used to work with a doctor who said that children sometimes get "Summer Fever Disease" in the summer where they just have a high temperature. It sometimes happens in the winter as well.

Thanks for making life unnecessarily complicated kid. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Good news! It came out really easily and my patient was a total champ. Luckily it wasn't engorged so I think we got it early enough. I'm in a much better mood now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Good news! It came out really easily and my patient was a total champ. Luckily it wasn't engorged so I think we got it early enough. I'm in a much better mood now.

Keep an eye on the spot (and surrounding area) for any rashes, especially bullseye-shaped ones. Since the tick hadn't bitten yet, it's unlikely to have caused an issue, but you want to make sure. Also, there are sometimes places around you can drop off captured ticks and they'll do a lyme test on it.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My son has been sporting a 100+ temperature the last 24 hours or so. It's gone as high as 104.

But the thing is, the way he's acting, you'd have no idea he has a temperature. Positive, happy, playing games, eating/drinking, and so on. I messaged my Aunt who's a retired nurse and she said that he should drink fluids and we should continue giving him fever reducers. As long as he's not presenting with issues like sluggishness or flu symptoms, then we shouldn't worry.

She mentioned that she used to work with a doctor who said that children sometimes get "Summer Fever Disease" in the summer where they just have a high temperature. It sometimes happens in the winter as well.

Thanks for making life unnecessarily complicated kid. :)

Ours is like that, too, quite often when she has a fever. Seems totally fine and full of energy. Until sleep time at least.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Can anybody help me find the mute button on the child.
    Just

For five minutes

Only five minutes.

Just five minutes of no noise.

She can go five minutes without talking, but she still must make noise and I don't know how to get it to stop and it's making me crazy.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    There's not. I sometimes get my noise machine to just hum in lieu of volume control.

Sonic Mania is free on the Epic Game Store in case you were looking for a way to introduce old school platformers to your kids.

Hahaha my brain got back at me for complaining.

Constantly waking up through the whole night, desperately trying to get out of a nightmare where I'm watching her drown.

Thanks brain. You're an asshole.

Elvenshae wrote: »

Keep an eye on the spot (and surrounding area) for any rashes, especially bullseye-shaped ones. Since the tick hadn't bitten yet, it's unlikely to have caused an issue, but you want to make sure. Also, there are sometimes places around you can drop off captured ticks and they'll do a lyme test on it.

Yep, this isn't our first run in with these blighters. Weird thing is that every time I've gone in to see a doc about it and I tell them I have the tick, they don't really care. They only care if we're experiencing any of the usual symptoms for Lyme. Which Luckily only happened once and the anti biotics worked like a charm.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The second of the Red Knight books is substantially weaker in all respects than the first. It sets out the overarching plot but there are too many characters to keep track of, and the author can't offer distinct characterisation for them nevermind attempt any development.

Also the geography seems very confused with a lack of clarity about which of these countries are on the same continent and the map at the front not providing enough information to answer that question.

I'm an idiot so I'll keep going, but it really needs to pare things back to a few major characters that it can give distinct voices and motivations to.

I'm still unclear on whether the setting is alt history or post apocalyptic. I'm sort of hoping there will be a few more nuggets around that. It could also just be he stole a load of historic names for bits of Europe and has the characters drop bits of French for no reason, I suppose.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Well FUCK! Dallas, three month old boy, has a fever. He also has two teeth coming in and drooling like a mother fucker.

In the beforetimes this wouldn't be a big deal, but now because the world ended, everyone is automatically required to do a ten day quarantine until he gets a negative COVID swab.

Me and my wife are both nurses so we've been vaccinated for like six months, but the kids aren't obviously.

And just Saturday for the first time since March, 2020, we hosted a social event for two people who are vaccinated.

Just the timing of this. My wife took her twelve weeks maternity leave and I took twelve weeks paternity leave to keep Dallas out of daycare for as long as possible to try and prevent this from happening.

I swear to God if he has COVID. Just fuck it all.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    With the teething, I wouldn't be as worried if it was just a random fever.

Still scary and yeah the timing is terrible.

I know in my head he doesn't have COVID, but if he does after all we did it's gonna just be a kick in the balls.

I'm on call this week and occupational health at least said I can cover my shifts since I'm vaccinated.

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hello kids thread. I am visiting my very first friend who is now a dad to a 2 month old this weekend (I'll be taking a lateral flow test beforehand and making sure we're all covid safe). Apologies if this has been asked before but I was wondering if there was anything particular nice I could do for them when for my visit?

I've not seen them in more than a year due to covid but they're an old and good friend. Googling predictably gives me various random products that "new parent will die for" which I doubt are going to be well received.

I was thinking baked goods. Maybe offer to do a shop or some housework? I appreciate there's no universal advice and I know my mate better than anyone here, but I got that dang social anxiety so advice would be appreciated.

Quantum Tiger on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    If you want to make them something, make something that is frozen.

In terms of something else, a book will never go amis, or maybe some weather appropriate (and size) clothes are always appreciated.

If they’ll allow it, just watch/play with the kid. Any break in those first few months goes a long way towards stabilizing physical/mental health

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    2 months? Offer to stay up and help with baby so one parent can take a good nap without feeling like they are abandoning the other parent. Then do the same with the other parent.

Just be there and listen.

Also the kid was COVID negative thank god.

Hello with house chores, offer to do the food shop, just hold the baby while one goes for a nap or a shower.

It's amazing what even one extra pair of hands can do.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My friends bought me various caffeinated goods and snacks which was always appreciated, what with around two months being some of the worst nights for sleeping (for us at least).

They then abandoned me and have hardly spoken to me since as I'm the only one of the group with a kid.

So yeah, just being there for your friend is the best thing you can do. They're going to be very very tired and whilst they'll want to talk about their kid they might always just want to chat like normal.

Spending every waking moment entirely focussed on a newborn scrambled my brain.

SharpyVII on
    I would have taken a worry-free shower over any physical gift during that time.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hello kids thread. I am visiting my very first friend who is now a dad to a 2 month old this weekend (I'll be taking a lateral flow test beforehand and making sure we're all covid safe). Apologies if this has been asked before but I was wondering if there was anything particular nice I could do for them when for my visit?

I've not seen them in more than a year due to covid but they're an old and good friend. Googling predictably gives me various random products that "new parent will die for" which I doubt are going to be well received.

I was thinking baked goods. Maybe offer to do a shop or some housework? I appreciate there's no universal advice and I know my mate better than anyone here, but I got that dang social anxiety so advice would be appreciated.

The best thing ever was someone just holding/watching T so that I could have as long a shower as I wanted, cuz every dive into the shower at that age was riddled with stress and anxiety for me. The number of times I had to get out of the shower soaking wet to see to her while she was screaming… or guiltily finishing my shower to the sounds of her screams… just awful. I had a revolving door of friends coming over just to hold her while she slept so that she slept longer, while I got a break or got things done. I doubt I would have come out of that phase of her life as well as I did without all that help.

Ask if they need anything picked up on your way over, bring a well-loved book or a frozen meal if you really want to bring a physical thing. Then while you’re there, just offer to give them a break… from the baby, from a piece of undone housework, from anything they might not want to do but know needs doing.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER

After the initial panic I saw she was being gentle with the glasses so we had fun

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If they’ll allow it, just watch/play with the kid. Any break in those first few months goes a long way towards stabilizing physical/mental health

Yeah like everyone says, take the kids for a spin around the block or even just outside. Gift of quiet time.

As for physical stuff, any standard housewarming gift is good. A candle might be nice; at 2 months no worries about knocking off the table or anything.

Oh wow, my kid's school has hired an extra teacher for 2nd grade to compensate for all the classes the 1st grade kids missed in the past year. The school received a subsidy from the government to make this happen. That means that going forward the class size will be

6 combined classes of 4-6 year olds: 20 students
    3 first grade classes of 6-7 year olds: 20 students
    3 second grade classes of 7-8 year olds: 20 students
    2 classes per next grade (up to 12 year olds): 30 students

I hope they can keep that extra teacher for when Little King gets to second grade.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I would have taken a worry-free shower over any physical gift during that time.

I still have to strap in the 4 year old into the highchair (which he still fits into, thank god) when I go to shower unless I want unbridled chaos loose in the house for even 5 minutes unsupervised.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    When I was a kid I thought the cheap fireworks that you lit in your backyard were kind of lame, and they kind of are, but my kids think they're fun so damn if I'm not going to get drunk and light some up this weekend.

I know celebrating the 4th, and the US in general, is at best a mixed bag at this point but I still like living here and so I'm going to eat too much potato salad and too many deviled eggs, I hope you guys have fun too!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    When I was a kid I thought the cheap fireworks that you lit in your backyard were kind of lame, and they kind of are, but my kids think they're fun so damn if I'm not going to get drunk and light some up this weekend.

I know celebrating the 4th, and the US in general, is at best a mixed bag at this point but I still like living here and so I'm going to eat too much potato salad and too many deviled eggs, I hope you guys have fun too!

I was big into fireworks until I saved up a couple of months allowance to buy fireworks, and then accidentally left them out on the sidewalk when I went in to eat and they all got stolen. I was really upset, but the day after realized I wasn't going to have had any left at point anyways, and I was just lighting my money on fire basically. So then I saved for my first BMX bike instead.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    There are very few foods I enjoy as much as deviled eggs.

We're off next week for bowling nationals so we're officially in packing and panic mode. Two weeks is a lot to pack for.

Mrs Moon and Athena are up north at her dad's cabin with all the cousins for Fourth of July weekend and I'm home all lonely, working up the willpower to clean up.

I also took a half hour long nap that I woke up three hours later from, so that sucks.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Mrs Moon and Athena are up north at her dad's cabin with all the cousins for Fourth of July weekend and I'm home all lonely, working up the willpower to clean up.

I also took a half hour long nap that I woke up three hours later from, so that sucks.

That sounds amazing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

That sounds amazing.

It would be more amazing if I didn't have to be up for work at 4am tomorrow. Now I probably won't be able to fall asleep until midnight.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

You know, honestly I think my favorite fireworks are popits/snappers/whatever other many names they get. The little paper bags full of rocks and powder that you throw at the ground.

Particularly once it's actually dark. Super simple, super safe for even younger kids as long as they're past putting everything in their mouth, and a nice satisfying snap and flash in the dark.