As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Music] Maker's Thread.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I performed a synth patch “live” on a stream, and when I listen back I don’t hate it, so I’m sharing it. I sincerely hope you also do not hate it, dear reader. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1060681215?t=112s

Some good whomps, wubs, bloobs, and hissy thrums in here.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I joined an online collab.

Through Reddit I found an online collaboration to join with some other guys, who so far match my tastes and temperament pretty well. Our first project was a cover of Every You Every Me by Placebo, and we even have a video to accompany it. I'm playing bass (and I also contributed the synth part).

We have a few more covers in the works, and I hope we'll progress on to originals after this current batch are finished off.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    My online band has another cover song up. Five Star Laundry, originally by Motor Ace.

Online collabs are hard to keep together though, and our drummer just bailed. Nothing acrimonious, just working at different speeds. Anyways, this might put original tracks on hold for a bit but we'll try to keep working on stuff and see what happens.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    https://metaghost.bandcamp.com/track/corvette-vignettes

Can't remember if you can link the a Bandcamp player. (Guess Not.)

Kinda finished another tune. Per the title, conceived as little vignettes of being passenger in a car. May return to this later and chip away at any dissatisfaction, but for now I mostly enjoy its off-kilter and unfocused nature.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Hello old music thread. I'm trying to get this new project off the ground, and working on recording real guitars. Here is the first bit I was hoping for feedback on:

It's got lyrics to go with it but I plan to look for a vocalist, so the arrangement will fit around that. I'm wondering if the guitars sound OK, though?

• Options
    @Solvent Sounds pretty good! I think I want to hear a bit more performative definition/articulation at times, like being able to better perceive the strum and not just outcome of the action. But I like the tones of the rhythm and lead respectively.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

Oh hey. I call this genre blackhole lofi, it’s where I excuse this sounding bad because I want you to feel bad.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Finally think I might be finished with this, one of the final sections in my overgrown album of jazzy ambient spaceouts.

Soundcloud sure does mutilate the timbre, but no biggie.

From the initial improvisational piano session that spawned this material, this was one of the earliest drafts. I think I posted a portion of it like... three years ago? Sheesh.

Not entirely satisfied with bits and bobs, but I think some of that personal dissatisfaction is ok here, as this piece more than the rest was always intended to be an expression of my anxiety.

I really liked that. Nice work!

• Options
    edited November 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiAuuktQwMQ

A reprise to an earlier song I did (part of a stalker series I'm doing).

Fun fact, that's my creepy basement music studio in the video above, seven displays and all (no, I don't use them all)

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    benstokes32benstokes32 Registered User new member
    Iruka wrote: »
    @evocurio If you just paste the link plain, without the BBC around it, it'll auto embed. Makes it easier for people to take a casual listen.

I really wish I knew more about music so I could give any of you guys more than a casual thumbs up or thumbs down, but the only think I listen to with any sort of regularity is like chillout electronica.

I also have the same wish similar to you. I love to hear new sound themes.

• Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »

A reprise to an earlier song I did (part of a stalker series I'm doing).

Fun fact, that's my creepy basement music studio in the video above, seven displays and all (no, I don't use them all)

Love these sounds. Also, that's a cool video. Simple but clever idea.

• Options
    Here's a song that's been done forever, but waiting to be released as part of a bigger project.

• Options
    Halibut wrote: »
    Here's a song that's been done forever, but waiting to be released as part of a bigger project.

That's awesome. Good boss fight music towards the end there.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Hi guys, is it cool to post a link to your bandcamp page here if you've got songs up for sale? I know some people have done that in the past, and this thread doesn't see much traffic, but all the same I would like to ask first.

• Options
    I'm not sure if there are official rules or anything, but I don't see a problem with that.

• Options
    Yeah, I don’t think anyone in this little-used thread would be alarmed or offended, even if you went full shill about selling your soul.

I’m happy folks keep poppin’ in! I’m personally in the early stages of a new Rap project, so might have new bits to share soon.

• Options
    Must be holiday season that sees people popping in again? I had no luck finding collaborators last year after my previous collab fell apart, but I've been messaging a few people recently and it seems I might get some new projects going.
    I thought I would try weekly beats this year. I'm four tracks in, so I've at least hit targets for January:
    https://soundcloud.com/bweekly-345728297

• Options
    That's a smart idea. I know that the single thing that has helped me improve the most as a producer is just making more and more music. I wish I could commit to something like that.

• Options
    Solvent wrote: »
    Must be holiday season that sees people popping in again? I had no luck finding collaborators last year after my previous collab fell apart, but I've been messaging a few people recently and it seems I might get some new projects going.
    I thought I would try weekly beats this year. I'm four tracks in, so I've at least hit targets for January:
    https://soundcloud.com/bweekly-345728297

That's such an awesome idea.

I particularly like "3 (mud)"

It's also a goal of mine to do a lot more music this year, and to go through the steps of releasing an "album" by the end of the year that can be streamed on Apple Music, Spotify, etc. There is absolutely zero goal to make any money, this is really just for an "accomplishment". So far in January I'm somewhere between 1 and 3 demos a week. None are them are as long as yours, just ideas with a lot of copy/paste for me to eventually narrow down to figure out which ones I want to finish. I'd post some links, but they are really rough.

• Options
    Waltz Through the Ruins

Sorry for the link. I can't use the embedded player since it's a private track.

Anyway, I made this WIP for a D&D campaign as our sort of theme song. Pretty different kind of track from what I usually make, but I'm trying to expand a little.

• Options
    Woof. My crappy laptop is finally starting to give under the strain of making music. This is so frustrating - the project plays OK in the DAW but it's crashing every time I export. I'm pretty certain it'll turn out to be a hardware limitation, but in troubleshooting I have deleted half the tracks and plugins from this project and it still fails so... that's no good. I'm trying an update of FL Studio to see what happens.
    Waltz Through the Ruins

Sorry for the link. I can't use the embedded player since it's a private track.

Anyway, I made this WIP for a D&D campaign as our sort of theme song. Pretty different kind of track from what I usually make, but I'm trying to expand a little.
    Definitely getting Bastion vibes from this. Nice. The mixing is on point, it's really well balanced.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    OK, so I got my project exported by rebuilding it from 'project bones' (FL Studio thing).

I had an accident and hurt myself pretty nastily. On the downside, well, concussion, and I cut my hand up a bit so I can't play fingerstyle bass which is my preference. On the upside, I got some time off work and I was still capable of working on some music. This track has a pick bass tone that I am actually really happy with. I'm mixing all these purely through headphones, though, without testing on other listening devices, so I don't know if the bass comes through much on speakers.

Solvent on

• Options
    Solvent wrote: »
    OK, so I got my project exported by rebuilding it from 'project bones' (FL Studio thing).

I had an accident and hurt myself pretty nastily. On the downside, well, concussion, and I cut my hand up a bit so I can't play fingerstyle bass which is my preference. On the upside, I got some time off work and I was still capable of working on some music. This track has a pick bass tone that I am actually really happy with. I'm mixing all these purely through headphones, though, without testing on other listening devices, so I don't know if the bass comes through much on speakers.

Damn, a concussion sounds bad. Hope you have a quick recovery and glad you got your project working again.

I really like the rhythm that you come in with this track. The song gives me nostalgia vibes and it reminds me of a chilly evening on a beach in San Diego. Can't test on speakers, but the mix sounds good through headphones.

• Options
    Here's one from a different D&D campaign (I probably play too much D&D). The setting is sort of Final Fantasy magitech mixed with more gritty cyberpunk.

• Options
    I'm not sure if there are official rules or anything, but I don't see a problem with that.
    Yeah, I don’t think anyone in this little-used thread would be alarmed or offended, even if you went full shill about selling your soul.

I’m happy folks keep poppin’ in! I’m personally in the early stages of a new Rap project, so might have new bits to share soon.

Thanks guys. My dad band might record at some point.

• Options
    Sort of a laid back/ambient thing:

And then an orchestral remix:

Sort of wish I had gone 6/8 or 3/4 in the second one, and I think I could make the percussion more interesting, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with both of these.

• Options

Hey Music Thread! This is the first demo for my new rap album.

At the start of discussion/planning with my collaborator, he made a point of saying that he wanted me to rap with him. And well, I'm 39 and I'd never given thought to doing such a thing.

So the backhalf of this track is me as the emcee, having fun trying to zig-zag between loose references to seminal works of cyberpunk fiction and taking jabs at, well, the modern cyberpunk bullshit we live amongst.

The music/beat is mostly finished, the verses are rough takes recorded cheaply, no real mixing/mastering, and I'm not sure if it's legal for me to include that much Alan Watts. Regardless, please enjoy and I'm always appreciative of feedback.

• Options

Hey Music Thread! This is the first demo for my new rap album.

At the start of discussion/planning with my collaborator, he made a point of saying that he wanted me to rap with him. And well, I'm 39 and I'd never given thought to doing such a thing.

So the backhalf of this track is me as the emcee, having fun trying to zig-zag between loose references to seminal works of cyberpunk fiction and taking jabs at, well, the modern cyberpunk bullshit we live amongst.

The music/beat is mostly finished, the verses are rough takes recorded cheaply, no real mixing/mastering, and I'm not sure if it's legal for me to include that much Alan Watts. Regardless, please enjoy and I'm always appreciative of feedback.

Even with your caveats, this sounds really good. I love the vibes. I've heard that Alan Watts clip a million times, but I don't mind its inclusion. I don't know if you're planning to mix that part differently, but I sort of like how it comes in and out of the music. Also, I like the lyrics and flow of your rap part.

• Options
    @Halibut thanks for listening!

Re: Alan Watts - it’s funny, I really just put that in there as a placeholder, but then I liked how it fit and (as you say) how it weaves in and out with the ebb and flow of music.

I’ve done some lyrical revisions and other adjustments since posting this. There’s been a lot to learn from a performative perspective, and within that is just getting comfortable with hearing my own voice and thinking critically about it. I’ll probably post up some other WiPs over the weekend.

• Options
    Hey guys. I have been keeping up my weekly beats, although this week might be tricky since I'm coming off some busy work/other personal commitments for a few weeks in a row.

I feel kinda excited though because I think I'm developing a "sound"? I made these three tracks recently which really seem to gel nicely together. Each of them was a real quick one, where I sat down and busted it out in maybe one sitting, with perhaps another short session to add in some drum variation or tweak the mix. And each time, I was not really happy with the result on first publication. Returning to them, though, I actually think the sound works, and I have to revise my first opinion of them. I might seek to lean into this a bit in the future. When I switch over to spending a longer time on each track (which I'll do next year) I'll need to work on adding in more subtle variation, really getting a more naturalistic drum sound, and seeing if I can get some vocals to work in there.

The three tracks are Sloth, Malik and Long Lost.

• Options
    Nice work, @Solvent - just listening on my phone speaker, but you did a good job with your various guitar tones and seem to have hit on a confident mid-tempo Pixies-esque indie vibe.

Would love to hear Sloth with a washed out droning vocal with a long reverb tail.

Malik sounds like it wants to lean harder on the bass groove. As you rework the drums on these tracks, don’t be afraid to diminish emphasis on the guitar, despite that being your primary instrument.

Long Lost shows the most structural exploration. Good timbral shifts. The lead part seems a bit inpatient and a little thin. Might be something that comes into better focus as you develop a vocal part.

• Options
    Started a new project with a friend. Most of what we've worked on is horror / soundscape stuff, but we sort of stumbled into this one which is a bit more of a "song". Loosely inspired by Warhammer 40k.

• Options
    @Halibut I thought it worked much better as a sound design piece than song - really solid atmosphere, good feel to the percussion. Once the melodic synth lines start developing, things fall apart a bit. I think you just need to make a choice of intent and follow through a bit stronger.

• Options
    @Halibut I thought it worked much better as a sound design piece than song - really solid atmosphere, good feel to the percussion. Once the melodic synth lines start developing, things fall apart a bit. I think you just need to make a choice of intent and follow through a bit stronger.

Appreciate the feedback. I think our strong suit is pretty much what you said. Also agree about intent. Working with another person has been fun because we're making stuff I'd never make on my own, but our process is very much in the "try a bunch of stuff until we find something" phase.

• Options
    https://on.soundcloud.com/coFDW

Hope that link works. Another WiP from Rap Collab I'm working on. Only have my verses in place.

A weakness that I hope to overcome eventually is my complete antipathy towards writing hooks. Until then, I'll continue to make these semi-linear patchwork beats.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Edit: wrong thread!

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Another WiP, my half of a previously posted track. A lot of the music was written today, so plenty of refinement required, but pretty happy with where it's going.

The pair of verses at the end were recorded last month to different skeletons, so they don't quite mesh and have some artifacts due to automated tempo modulation.

Above is the preceding track, which I posted previously.

metaghost on
  • Options
    Hey 3-5 people who post in this thread, my dad band is recording tomorrow so I should have some dad rock tunes to share here at some point!

• Options
    How many Dads in the Dadband?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    There are 4 dads.

I'm kind of nervous, I'm playing drums in this group which is a newish thing for me (usually I play guitar or bass). I also haven't done a real recording session since 2018.

edit - a shot from my office this weekend
    snk08tcpabe8.jpg

Space Pickle on