As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Lego] Thread

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Such a damned expensive lego brick... :(

JD9HKzpl.jpg?1

And so much paper!

ZJh5lyPl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    is it august yet because i definitely want to snag one if i can
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/boba-fett-s-starship-75312

I fear it's going to be an expensive Lego year.
    Between the Slave 1, the Light Cruiser, and the Bricklink Designer program...

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    see317 wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »
    is it august yet because i definitely want to snag one if i can
    https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/boba-fett-s-starship-75312

I fear it's going to be an expensive Lego year.
    Between the Slave 1, the Light Cruiser, and the Bricklink Designer program...

I would probably save myself money if I just buy a Lego Store at the rate I'm going.

Edit: Fixed my message.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I totally support changing the name but couldn't they have done any better than, "Boba Fett's Starship"?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I totally support changing the name but couldn't they have done any better than, "Boba Fett's Starship"?

Can’t spoil the name change for when it’s revealed on the show!

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    If you sell the set as "Boba Fett's Starship" you aren't changing the name, but are avoiding putting Slave on your packaging by opting for a more general description instead.

Seems like a decent way to do it to me.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Smells like the Boba's Starship is gonna get blown up first season of his show to avoid this drama altogether

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I guess they could've called it "Boba Fett's Firespray-class Interceptor" but that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue either.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Smells like the Boba's Starship is gonna get blown up first season of his show to avoid this drama altogether

Only after Hasbro sells a super expensive version for the fans.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

People will still be interested if they blow it up. People buy death stars, or boba fetts when he was still dead.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I don’t think they’re actually changing the name, just avoiding its use. Likely Disney is planning on doing the same. Or maybe Boba will just outright rename it in the upcoming show. The mini figs for that set look really cool, just wish the spear was more metallic instead of grey.

"I see everything twice!"

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I think they actually got Boba's helmet wrong on the new minifig since he got the new paint job in the show? Should be darker, match the print on his chest.

Oh brilliant
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don’t think they’re actually changing the name, just avoiding its use. Likely Disney is planning on doing the same. Or maybe Boba will just outright rename it in the upcoming show. The mini figs for that set look really cool, just wish the spear was more metallic instead of grey.

“So, what’s the new one called?”

“Slave Two.”

“Dammnit, Boba, we’ve talked about this…”

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

People will still be interested if they blow it up. People buy death stars, or boba fetts when he was still dead.

Sorry it is more of an inside joke for the fans. Hasbro had a crowdsourced 3.75" figure scaled Razor Crest they were offering up before Season 2 of the Mandalorian. It is really cool looking, then Season 2 happened. But yeah, I agree that Star Wars fans will buy anything.

Also someone pointed out that Lego and Disney did this before with two kits and nobody looked into it.

Night Buzzard now called The Knights of Ren Transport Ship.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/knights-of-ren-transport-ship-75284

Marauder now called The Bad Batch Attack Shuttle.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-bad-batch-attack-shuttle-75314

oosik_betsuni.png
    To be fair to that, Boba's ship has been called Slave 1 for literally decades now. Tons of books, games and comics reinforcing it. I get why they changed it, but I also know the exact type of nerd liable to make a stink about then changing it.

Coulda just shortened it to S-1 or something I guess

Forar wrote: »

“Slave Two.”

Simpsons EU did it first.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular

“Slave Two.”

As far as the old continuity there was Slave II, Slave III, and Slave IV. Slave IV was an AIAT/i gunship. One of the most ridiculous starships ever designed and I love every bit of it. I would love to has a model of one Lego or otherwise.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Heard they are going to call it the Unpaid Intern 1 now.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »

“Slave Two.”

As far as the old continuity there was Slave II, Slave III, and Slave IV. Slave IV was an AIAT/i gunship. One of the most ridiculous starships ever designed and I love every bit of it. I would love to has a model of one Lego or otherwise.

I knew there was a Slave 2 in the EU, foggy on 3, but 4 is news to me, and Google image searching on it… uh, did they take a gunship, slap giant engines on it and claim its now a water plane/interstellar craft?

Because that’s very EU if they did.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    uh, did they take a gunship, slap giant engines on it and claim its now a water plane/interstellar craft?

Yes, yes they did. I am thankful to whatever mad genius did it too!

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    uh, did they take a gunship, slap giant engines on it and claim its now a water plane/interstellar craft?

Yes, yes they did. I am thankful to whatever mad genius did it too!

And it's a massively better looking design then the "We slapped a wing on one side of a doorstop" Slave II.

From quick looks and my hazy memory, it looks like Dark Empire established Slave II, and some later books (Junior Jedi Knights?) went with Slave IV. So Slave III seems to exist to fill that gap.

And with all the Boba Fett that showed up towards the end of the EU (thanks to Karen) I honestly have no idea what ship he was using.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Anyone actually know when the first time the name Slave 1 was used? Was it empire?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Anyone actually know when the first time the name Slave 1 was used? Was it empire?

Kenner made a toy of it for Empire with that name, so at least as early as 81

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

The first appearance of the name Slave 1 was in the novelization of The Empire Strikes Back. Because there is no Star Wars trivia that is too trivial for the internet.

Heffling wrote: »

The first appearance of the name Slave 1 was in the novelization of The Empire Strikes Back. Because there is no Star Wars trivia that is too trivial for the internet.

It’s kind of amazing to realize how many things in the Star Wars movies are not actually named on-screen, but it seems like we all know what to call them.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Like Ewoks

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Given those other instances of name changes, I am around 85% certain that Lego didn't change the name due to any morality concerns, but because they've discovered "[character name]'s ship/shuttle/fighter/truck" sells better than the official name, especially if said ship name is only to be found on wiki pages and not actively used in media. It ain't some active attempt to annoy chuds, but I'll take it.

Oh brilliant
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Yeah, to me it's no different than the way they call things "Luke's X-wing" or whatever. Although, weirdly, "X-wing" is one of those things that isn't said in the films, I think. Once, maybe?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    Yeah, to me it's no different than the way they call things "Luke's X-wing" or whatever. Although, weirdly, "X-wing" is one of those things that isn't said in the films, I think. Once, maybe?

An Imperial officer mentions it when Luke is on approach to Bespin in ESB. They might also bring it up when discussing the plan for attacking the Death Star in ANH, but I can't remember off the top of my head. Slave 1 is never mentioned and I honestly can't even remember noticing the Knights of Ren ship's existence in RoS. Selling like hot cakes that kit likely did not.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Supposedly this is an app called Brickit. I haven't tried it myself.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't really need the suggestions for what to build, but I would love a device that can pin point a brick I'm looking for out of a pile of Lego pieces

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    That is genuine sorcery

I want it

edited July 2021
    Bricklink Designer Program is now live. You can pre-order a set, but it will not be produced unless it hits 3,000 orders (capped at 5,000 orders). First 5 to 3,000 pre-orders will get built and the other two will not be made.

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/introducing.page

Edit: Background for those who don't know. Bricklink site is owned by Lego so these are real Lego pieces. These sets were originally Ideas submissions that were not picked.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Bricklink Designer Program is now live. You can pre-order a set, but it will not be produced unless it hits 3,000 orders (capped at 5,000 orders). First 5 to 3,000 pre-orders will get built and the other two will not be made.

Edit: Background for those who don't know. Bricklink site is owned by Lego so these are real Lego pieces. These sets were originally Ideas submissions that were not picked.

Looks like the site is getting hammered by people wanting the forest castle. I don't know why they'd limit it to 5,000 sets only, they're just looking for another fan backlash.

steam_sig.png
    Daimar wrote: »

Looks like the site is getting hammered by people wanting the forest castle. I don't know why they'd limit it to 5,000 sets only, they're just looking for another fan backlash.

It is really close to 5,000 as well. First to be funded and probably first to "sell out". The 5,000 limit is probably so they can fit the production into their factory time without impacting their mainline stuff.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

It is really close to 5,000 as well. First to be funded and probably first to "sell out". The 5,000 limit is probably so they can fit the production into their factory time without impacting their mainline stuff.

Sold out now, it went from 3,000 to 5,000 in under 5 minutes.

steam_sig.png
  • GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    To be fair to that, Boba's ship has been called Slave 1 for literally decades now. Tons of books, games and comics reinforcing it. I get why they changed it, but I also know the exact type of nerd liable to make a stink about then changing it.

Coulda just shortened it to S-1 or something I guess

If they make too big a fuss I guess one of the episodes of the 'Book of Fett' will feature its annihilation and replacement. Good excuse for another toy anyhow.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I had a quick try of that app. Maybe not ideal conditions but it wasn’t great at accuracy in the picture scanning. It does let you catalogue your existing sets and search that way though. It seems to be colour agnostic so anything you build from it may be fairly rainbow.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

Sold out now, it went from 3,000 to 5,000 in under 5 minutes.
    Can't help but wonder how many of these sets will end on eBay for like 3x the price.

This discussion has been closed.