As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

youtube sucks, post internet videos here

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    chess is good

chess is also very hard

I recommend gothamchess and eric rosen if you want to try and learn a bit

Agadmator is also a nice channel, less to learn but more if you just want to enjoy good historic and modern games of chess.

agadmator is good, but generally he assumes you're going to know a lot about chess and goes very fast

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    the monty hall problem kinda seems to be a big problem because it gets explained badly

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/yiGEo1vpvpM

After a miserable week I appreciate the effort that went into something so silly.

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhn02_mB_lU

Marc Rebillet has done a commercial for a German supermarket

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    the monty hall problem kinda seems to be a big problem because it gets explained badly

First, you pick a door, but this time you have to pick one door out of 100 doors. After you have picked one, 98 wrong doors are opened and there are 2 doors left unopened - the one you picked and the correct door. Will you change now?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

Part of the difficulty when dealing with 3 doors is that "all but one of the remaining doors" and "one door" are the same, but if you expand it to something big like 1000 then the former is 998, making it more obvious what's happening.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    hard to imagine that my dad did this route on a regular basis as a lorry driver

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • OdinOdin Registered User regular
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    chess is good

chess is also very hard

I recommend gothamchess and eric rosen if you want to try and learn a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2skmBe07aQ&list=PLT1F2nOxLHOfQ-eoJTpyvKkQFwYewDduj

Daniel Naroditsky's rating climb speedrun series are probably the most educational chess videos I've seen on youtube, though they are definitely more focused on the intermediate level, or at least the "I know the basic concepts and a few openings, but that's it" type of players.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    As someone who was once experienced enough in chess to regularly get paired up in chess tournaments with masters in the semi-finals (and lose, usually) honestly the main thing about chess is to improve past a certain point it's mainly a massive time commitment.

Like chess is, except at the highest levels, mostly just pattern recognition. But if you want any more detailed advice I'd suggest that once you get past the point where you consistently hang your own pieces you probably practice endgames first. (I say as someone who will likely never touch chess again.)

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    The Monty Hall problem is hard to understand because goats are cool and much better than cars

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite archers has been making videos again, this one explains different varieties of longbows

https://youtu.be/8u-WeGy0vIw

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What if I wanna learn go

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    What if I wanna learn go

embrace oblivion

Gundi wrote: »
    What if I wanna learn go

embrace oblivion

Already done

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

The way I had it explained to me to finally get it was focusing on my odds of being wrong for each choice. As in the first three doors I have a high 2/3 chance of picking the wrong door. When one false door is taken away and I am asked if I want to switch to the only remaining door, I now have a 1/2 chance of being wrong for this pick, which are much better odds because by sticking with my original choice I am still in that 2/3 chance of wrongness.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    What if I wanna learn go

Join a club and/or play matches online.

Combine that either with books on theory and tactics or YouTube channels (I have to imagine good channels exist, I just don’t know them.)

Personally I found reading a book on opening theory to be helpful because without that I found the opening of the game to be a bit directionless.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Watching someone who seems actually good at Go, I have come to the conclusion that I know jack squat about Go:

https://youtu.be/4BsXoSlVUiA

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

The way I had it explained to me to finally get it was focusing on my odds of being wrong for each choice. As in the first three doors I have a high 2/3 chance of picking the wrong door. When one false door is taken away and I am asked if I want to switch to the only remaining door, I now have a 1/2 chance of being wrong for this pick, which are much better odds because by sticking with my original choice I am still in that 2/3 chance of wrongness.

yeah no this shit still seems fake to me

the final choice is still a 50/50 no matter how many extra steps it took to get there, which makes staying as valid as swapping

like it's not a matter of not getting the logic behind it, it's a matter of the logic being horseshit

I'm convinced that statisticians or whoever are fucking gaslighting us

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

the final choice is still a 50/50 no matter how many extra steps it took to get there, which makes staying as valid as swapping

like it's not a matter of not getting the logic behind it, it's a matter of the logic being horseshit

And a 50/50 is much better than a 33/66.

I will get into a fucking fistfight with a mathematician over this

that is not a hypothetical, it is a promise

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

And a 50/50 is much better than a 33/66.

that isn't relevant! the "do you swap" choice is entirely disconnected from the "pick one of three" choice!

hell, the promise of always revealing a bad door and then asking again makes the first choice pure theatrics, and in practical terms you may as well have started at the coin toss!

• GarickGarick Registered User regular
    I uh... suggest you make 3 cards and pretend to bet on one, then have a friend or family member take one away and see how many times you win by staying. It won't be 50/50 and you may find it easier to come to terms with the logic.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the fact that humans don't understand statistics is proof god doesn't exist

liEt3nH.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Three doors, one car, two zonks.

You pick the car and switch, you lose.
    You pick zonk 1 and switch, you win.
    You pick zonk 2 and switch, you win.

You pick the car and stay, you win.
    You pick zonk 1 and stay, you lose.
    You pick zonk 2 and stay, you lose.

Is the explanation that finally got through to me. Says "win" more after switch than after stay. That's just math.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Garick wrote: »
    I uh... suggest you make 3 cards and pretend to bet on one, then have a friend or family member take one away and see how many times you win by staying. It won't be 50/50 and you may find it easier to come to terms with the logic.

The stats only work out like that with... thousands of tries? More? Which is why humans are so bad at understanding this stuff, in day to day experience you can't play it out in the way you're suggesting.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I will get into a fucking fistfight with a mathematician over this

that is not a hypothetical, it is a promise

You can just run it yourself.

https://www.mathwarehouse.com/monty-hall-simulation-online/

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • GarickGarick Registered User regular
    It's statistically different enough that you should be able to see it pretty quick actually. Software like the above makes it a lot quicker, but if you don't trust that, you could pound out enough games by hand in an hour or two that you will notice one method giving you more wins then the other.

edited July 2021
    I actually find the monty hall problem rather intuitive after I watched this video about it a while back

Edit oh someone already posted it.

But anyway yeah I kinda thought it explained it really well

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.