As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Elden Ring] Has Shattered (CLOSED SPOILERS)

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I definitely feel DS2 got unfairly maligned due to fanboy overhype and it just stuck

I low key kinda love a lot of what DS2 did. It has issues (Why oh why are Iframes tied to a stat, the weapon durability system being an interesting idea butchered by implementation issues), but holy shit the way people talk about it you'd think it personally broke into their homes and force-fed their dog every copy of DS1 in an attempt to make them play it or something.

Super irritating because there's a lot to genuinely critique in that game, and a lot of really good bits too - it's a game of extremes! But the discourse around it is whooof.

Yeah, thankfully we're long past the days where someone releases a 9 part series of 1 hour plus videos as a "measured response" to HBomberguys video about DS2 being pretty good, actually. I thought the HBG video was a bit much to start, but if your "reply" is the length of the extended edition LOTR series and contains nothing but nitpicking, get a fucking editor.

I still think it gets more shit than it deserves, and likewise DS1 gets praised for things a bit more than it should in my probably very-in-the-minority opinion.

jungleroomx on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I definitely feel DS2 got unfairly maligned due to fanboy overhype and it just stuck

I low key kinda love a lot of what DS2 did. It has issues (Why oh why are Iframes tied to a stat, the weapon durability system being an interesting idea butchered by implementation issues), but holy shit the way people talk about it you'd think it personally broke into their homes and force-fed their dog every copy of DS1 in an attempt to make them play it or something.

Super irritating because there's a lot to genuinely critique in that game, and a lot of really good bits too - it's a game of extremes! But the discourse around it is whooof.

Yeah, thankfully we're long past the days where someone releases a 9 part series of 1 hour plus videos as a "measured response" to HBomberguys video about DS2 being pretty good, actually. I thought the HBG video was a bit much to start, but if your "reply" is the length of the extended edition LOTR series and contains nothing but nitpicking, get a fucking editor.

I still think it gets more shit than it deserves, and likewise DS1 gets praised for things a bit more than it should in my probably very-in-the-minority opinion.

The Hbomberguy video is extremely weird to me as someone who loves DS2 and mostly likes Hbomberguy, because I kind of hated that video and most of his points?

Also he talks about people who don't like DS2 with the same level of disdain he normally directs at, like, fascists?

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

One thing i'm low key glad of is that MH:World finally managed to shove Monster Hunter into the general publics perception of "actually a good game". after all the fucking praising that DS1 got. (Like DS1 does a lot good, but boy do i get sick of seeing all of the DS praised as Diffuclt Git Gud games given their jank and reliance on old school gm "SURPRISE!" bullshit)

(Also i'm probably biased because i've got a friend who every time dark souls comes up ends up slamming on DS2, and it's just exhausting)

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

The Hbomberguy video is extremely weird to me as someone who loves DS2 and mostly likes Hbomberguy, because I kind of hated that video and most of his points?

Also he talks about people who don't like DS2 with the same level of disdain he normally directs at, like, fascists?

Yeah, why I put it as "a bit much", though I do agree with the entire Guys in Armor thing he pointed out. All the best boss fights in Dark Souls in general are Guys in Armor.

I also think it came out during an era of Souls fandom where criticism in any direction could result in something as fucking ridiculous as death threats, so maybe the dude was a bit on edge when going against the greater wisdom of the subreddit.

edited July 2021

One thing i'm low key glad of is that MH:World finally managed to shove Monster Hunter into the general publics perception of "actually a good game". after all the fucking praising that DS1 got. (Like DS1 does a lot good, but boy do i get sick of seeing all of the DS praised as Diffuclt Git Gud games given their jank and reliance on old school gm "SURPRISE!" bullshit)

(Also i'm probably biased because i've got a friend who every time dark souls comes up ends up slamming on DS2, and it's just exhausting)

MH World blew my perception of gaming wide open, but I probably wouldn't have tried it out without diving into DS3 first. I was hesitant to get into the whole "hard games" side of things but with World just earning mountains of praise after Iceborne, and with the pandemic now in full swing, I figured it couldn't hurt.

DS1 did a lot of great things. I do not think the interconnected world by itself is necessarily one of them because it doesn't really do anything special with it other than the initial "oh shit I'm back here?" moment, especially since it's something we saw in games like Metroid Prime, but Prime kind of did more with.

Also, it becomes pointless with Bonfire warping halfway through.

jungleroomx on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I followed Dead Island breathlessly and shot their drip fed trailers into my veins and was just absolutely crushed when the actual game bore zero resemblance to the trailer.

Seriously, remember that trailer?

https://youtu.be/ialZcLaI17Y

Now I don't watch anything and just wait for the game.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Daily Elden Ring Update: Day 386 2:50
    https://youtu.be/WRNosiPm1Ck
    Info from: https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/elden-ring

Additional story details and game features revealed, do not click if you wanna go dark:

Gameplay:
    Journey through the Lands Between, a new fantasy world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki, creator of the influential DARK SOULS video game series, and George R. R. Martin, author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Unravel the mysteries of the Elden Ring’s power. Encounter adversaries with profound backgrounds, characters with their own unique motivations for helping or hindering your progress, and fearsome creatures.

ELDEN RING features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback, alone or online with other players, and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps, spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title.

Create your character in FromSoftware's refined action-RPG and define your playstyle by experimenting with a wide variety of weapons, magical abilities, and skills found throughout the world.

Charge into battle, pick off enemies one-by-one using stealth, or even call upon allies for aid. Many options are at your disposal as you decide how to approach exploration and combat.

The guidance of lost graces – should you find them - will put you on a road to re-take these lands from the Demigods through might and magic, but you need not follow their path.

The choice is yours. Do you crave power, or do you seek understanding? Decide for yourself, then build your character as you see fit.

Try dozens of skills and find one to best suit your style. Practice stealth to avoid danger or catch enemies unaware. Use the environment, the weather, and the time of day to gain an advantage. Learn the art of combat , where you must read your enemy’s intentions and a well-timed dodge or parry could be the difference between life and death. Ride your steed into battle against mounted mercenaries and cut them from their horses. Master arcane spells from the masters that still linger among the ruins of the war. Summon familiar spirits to even the odds against you or call on your fellow Tarnished to fight at your side and share the burden as you explore. Or, delve into the complex, bloody history of the Shattering and discover the lost secrets of the Demigods and their kin. All these paths are possible, and more.

Ultimately, your journey will be defined by the strength of your own ambition. The greater your goals, the greater the challenge will be. Should you choose to claim the Lands Between as your birthright then yes, you must fight.

And yes, you may die.

But you will return to fight again.

For that is how a champion – or a Lord – is born.

Story:
    The Golden Order has been shattered. Throughout the Lands Between, Demigods holding shards of the Elden Ring squabble and make war over the ruins of a perfect realm, now abandoned by the golden guidance of the Greater Will.

As the echoes of this conflict thunder in the distance, an outcast arrives. Once, their ancestors called the Lands Between home, but the blessed light of grace was lost to their tribe long ago and they were expelled from the kingdom. They are the Tarnished, and they have returned to claim the Elden Lordship promised to them by legend.

This is the world of ELDEN RING. As a Tarnished, the Lands Between await your exploration. You will ride through the vast fields, gallop over rolling hills, and leap to the top of rocky crags on your ephemeral steed, revealing a world teeming with life and danger.

In the grand fields where your journey begins, mythic creatures prowl the veldts, ineffable horrors lurk in the bogs and marshes, and all manner of soldiers and itinerant warriors are waiting for those who wander unawares. Shy creatures nibble on sweet grasses or scuttle through the underbrush.

Those few inhabitants who are not mad or hostile linger near the broken remnants of cities left behind by the Shattering. They may have answers for you, if you help them. Above them all, ensconced in vast legacies bristling with traps, secrets, and guardians, the Demigods – warped Lords who began as members of a royal and noble family – rule their domains with the unyielding power granted by shards of the Elden Ring.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Holy crap those are some amazing designs. Hopefully those end up in DLC somewhere.

Side story:

Friend of mine at work has recently begun a journey through the Dark Souls games. He knows I enjoy the series and have played them. So we've been talking about Souls lately at work, which in turn has hyped me up for more of that. I can't friggin' wait for Elden Ring now. The hype is real and it isn't even because of their marketing. It's because I've been chatting about the FromSoft games with a friend, and that has generated organic hype.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Elden Ring Nominated for Gamescom Awards (Day 435) 2:38
    https://youtu.be/LFtF9byPm8c

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    Best PC Game
    Best Sony PlayStation Game
    Best Action Adventure Game
    Best Role Playing Game

Eh folks I know people are hyped but maybe at least wait for the game to come out first lol

Peas wrote: »
    Elden Ring Nominated for Gamescom Awards (Day 435) 2:38
    https://youtu.be/LFtF9byPm8c

Best Microsoft Xbox Game
    Best PC Game
    Best Sony PlayStation Game
    Best Action Adventure Game
    Best Role Playing Game

Eh folks I know people are hyped but maybe at least wait for the game to come out first lol

The people who are running Gamescom have already played it, in whatever form its in now, before doing this.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Still, you should be awarding games that are actually out.

edited August 2021
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Am I mistaken or aren’t those awards for games at the show which has a ton of unreleased ones?

jungleroomx on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Huh, really don't follow game shows much anymore, so I guess that's how they roll then. Seems pretty silly to me, specially for a game that is supposed to come out until jan 2022.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Am I mistaken or aren’t those awards for games at the show which has a ton of unreleased ones?

Tradeshows very rarely feature already released games, and has been that way for....ever? They're about building the hype for soon-to-come games, not about ones that are already out there.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am excited to play this, but I've still not played DS3 which I suppose I will fix soon enough.

I recently Platinum Trophy'ed Bloodborne and am going to go back to Sekiro. Personally, I know that Sekiro gets a lot of criticism from the fact you really need to learn how to play Sekiro, as opposed to abusing magic etc in Souls games, but I really like how magnificent the games combat is once it clicks. Sword fights are just amazing and the best battles in the game resemble dances of death. It's my favourite From game by miles due to how good and consistent its mechanics are. I don't get the hate that DS2 constantly gets, because it was a fine game and has some really fun boss fights/moments in it. It was not that significantly different to Dark Souls, albeit I still prefer Dark Souls to DS2.

Now the Smelter Daemon and everything leading up to it in DS2 DLC? That can go fuck itself.

Also the endless ice fog with electric deer.

Both can go fuck themselves forever.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    DS3 rests between DS2 and Bloodborne.

It's got some weaker level design... but the bosses, especially endgame and DLC, are among the best From has ever done.

I highly recommend it. Be prepared for much faster combat than DS2 or DS.

edited August 2021
    I've been playing a lot of Bloodborne and Sekiro. It's probably not going to be a worry for me. Especially because I've also been playing Monster Hunter Iceborne and that's the glacial end of the scale.

Aegeri on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i've been dipping into DS3 after a lot of DS1 and DeS and i hate it so much

i'm so out of practice with these spammy ass enemies

edited August 2021
    I'm always surprised that there's even debate about which Soulslike has the best gameplay, because it's DS3 and it's not even close.

But then, I also think that aside from bumping up the speed Bloodborne's gameplay is worse than any Souls, and that's probably even more contentious.

Kamar on
    Elendil wrote: »
    i've been dipping into DS3 after a lot of DS1 and DeS and i hate it so much

i'm so out of practice with these spammy ass enemies

git gud

DS3 enemies have exactly 1 less or 1 more attack than you're expecting at all times, it feels like.

edited August 2021
    I'm always surprised that there's even debate about which Soulslike has the best gameplay, because it's DS3 and it's not even close.

But then, I also think that aside from bumping up the speed Bloodborne's gameplay is worse than any Souls, and that's probably even more contentious.

Bloodborne was really good, until they throw in bosses who completely ignore the fascinating "parry by shooting to the face" mechanic and require you to do classic souls tactics.

Hump leg, R1/R2 until dead.

Best bosses in Bloodborne could all be parried. Worst bosses in Bloodborne were all dodge and hump the legs (while hoping the camera doesn't spaz out).

Hopefully DS3 has plenty of humanoid type dudes that reward things like parrying and actually playing the game instead of leg humping. Also, I know nothing about DS3, which is good because I had already watched an LP of Bloodborne (albeit played badly!) because I never thought I would get a PS4. Whoops!

I'm curious why you think this. For me Bloodborne is their 3rd best game, after Sekiro and then Dark Souls. I would then have Dark Souls II and Demon Souls, where I can't recall if I ever finished Demon Souls or not (can't remember).

Aegeri on
    Aegeri wrote: »

Bloodborne was really good, until they throw in bosses who completely ignore the fascinating "parry by shooting to the face" mechanic and require you to do classic souls tactics.

Hump leg, R1/R2 until dead.

Best bosses in Bloodborne could all be parried. Worst bosses in Bloodborne were all dodge and hump the legs (while hoping the camera doesn't spaz out).

Hopefully DS3 has plenty of humanoid type dudes that reward things like parrying and actually playing the game instead of leg humping. Also, I know nothing about DS3, which is good because I had already watched an LP of Bloodborne (albeit played badly!) because I never thought I would get a PS4. Whoops!

I have a lot of little things about BB that add up to me not enjoying the moment-to-moment gameplay as much as other Soulslikes.

The camera is the same as other Souls, which is to say bad, but in combination with a lot of things about BB it's at its worst. Big enemies covered in stuff that fills the screen, endless doodads on the floor for you to get stuck on, walls and other obstructions to mess with it, and plenty of situations that will break your lock-on.

I hate that you have to unlock for full iframes on your dodge, even if it's not a huge difference.

A ton of the weapons feel way too similar even when they look very different.

The dependence on consumables (you can do everything with minimum vials and no papers etc., but it's a huge chore to chew through those health bars like that).

The enormous boss health bars in general annoy me, even when you do everything right to manage them.

Obtuse mechanics are a series staple, but having mechanics that are like, figure this out or the boss is a nightmare chore (the various things like limb breaks that let you safely focus on DPSing through bosses' enormous health bars) is annoying when runbacks are as bad as they'll ever be.

All of this might sound like I don't like Bloodborne, but it's still great.

edited August 2021
    Yeah I would agree with nearly all of that. A lot of my preference for the bosses that can be parried is because visceral attacks lead to huge amounts of damage and actually end fights quickly. Some of the biggest flaws with the camera/locking on are exposed when you go for the platinum trophy, as Chalice Rom is just plain fucking infuriating due to one shot spiders and the camera wigging out stopping you from seeing his attacks coming. Likewise, Defiled Chalice Amygdala is just not fun in any way until I worked out a particular way to beat it safely (it can one shot you at almost any time). The safe way is really boring and takes forever, but is 100% guaranteed to just end the damn fight eventually. Then there is Pthumerian Descendant, who can track you through pillars, hit you through pillars with his ranged attack and can leap around pillars in a gravity defying manner.

They did want to encourage you to be aggressive and up front with bosses, breaking limbs to make openings etc. Then they made it so the camera would wig out so you couldn't see the attacks and gave certain bosses particularly bullshit one hit attacks. Sure you could learn these things and master the fight, or you could just stand behind them like any Dark Souls boss and wail on them until they are dead much more easily, which is the disappointing part. One of the things I found Sekiro did right was reward me heavily by learning how it wanted me to play, because you not only do better vs. bosses it's actually safer to fight them properly than try to cheese them.

I will say that the Chalice Dungeon stuff is what ruined me for a lot of Bloodborne. I should have, in hindsight, got to the blood moon and finished the DLC, then gone through the rest of the main game. Then used my backup saves to get the endings, then gone back and done the chalice dungeons. Doing those last Chalice dungeons meant the rest of the game felt trivial, even Orphan of Kos took me only two attempts because once you've spent a while being bullshittedly one hit for hours nothing phases you anymore.

Aegeri on
    @Aegeri DS3 has plenty of humanoid bosses, tons of chances to parry (which can even turn 2 of the harder bosses into jokes) but also rewards good defensive moving, i.e. not only rolling but which way you roll.

Blocking has sadly been sort of relegated to “oh shit” moments and poise is on certain weapon skills and not armor now, which means a walking tank build in DS3 is a lot more difficult to pull off than DS1.

But I think overall the combat in DS3 is a satisfying middle ground between Bloodbornes freneticism and DS1s methodical approach.

Note: I am a huge fucking fanboy so grains of salt.

edited August 2021
    That sounds perfect to me. What you're saying is "Aegeri, you are going to enjoy Dark Souls 3 a lot". Also some armor on attacks is better than nothing all the time, though I do believe SOME moves in Bloodborne can't be stopped mid swing. Either way, you've sold me: I'll get the DS3 definitive edition when I get paid next month :D

Aegeri on
    That sounds perfect to me. What you're saying is "Aegeri, you are going to enjoy Dark Souls 3 a lot".

I think so.

DS3's aesthetic is post-apocalyptic and washed out, the levels are great at showing future locations but not necessarily "intertwined' as much as DS1, and there's a ton of DS1 references that either annoy people or make them gush.

edited August 2021
    There's a part of me that's always tempted to do, like, a write-up explaining why every Soulsborne is the worst one ever released. And a different one explaining why each one is the best the series has ever been.

Kamar on
    It's also good that I never watched an LP or similar of it, because I feel that also contributed to me not enjoying Demon Souls and Bloodborne as much if I had played them when they first came out.

It's also good that I never watched an LP or similar of it, because I feel that also contributed to me not enjoying Demon Souls and Bloodborne as much if I had played them when they first came out.

If you're really familiar with DS1 lore, then DS3 is a proper sequel. There's some good surprises and some really sad stuff scattered about.

Also, hollowing really isn't a thing. It can happen, you can force it and it provides bonuses to luck and item discovery through a certain questline, and the humanity mechanic is still somewhat in there where you have reduced HP after you die unless you use an item or beat a boss, but you're not really undead in DS3.

Yeah that seems fair enough, rather like the system in DS2 IIRC (where you progressively lose HP each time you die).

Also I will say that Bloodborne was really really easy to platinum as well. I really appreciated the lack of covenant grinding and multiplayer related achievements.

there's a handful of bosses in DS3 that are regular NPCsish and maybe three more that aren't where parrying is really a thing

i wouldn't get too excited, it's about on par with bloodborne (maybe worse relatively since DS3 has more bosses generally)

edited August 2021
    there's a handful of bosses in DS3 that are regular NPCsish and maybe three more that aren't where parrying is really a thing

i wouldn't get too excited, it's about on par with bloodborne (maybe worse relatively since DS3 has more bosses generally)

Yeah but it's also a Dark Souls game with poise etc as more of a thing and so it's not high on my requirements. My main problem with the lack of parrying in Bloodborne is that it made the left handed item slot (mostly guns) just feel entirely pointless on a lot of bosses, while taking away something I felt made the game feel hugely unique (parrying via bullets to the face). Essentially I don't mind if Dark Souls makes me Dark Soul hump a boss to death, because I'm playing Dark Souls. Humping a boss to death is exactly what I expect to do.

I just felt Bloodborne with it's much faster paced combat could really have used a philosophy of rewarding well times shots to the face/crotch or whatever as a more general idea. Otherwise it becomes like Dark Souls where the safe option is to hump crotches or legs, which took away from the unique feeling of the game. Like I said elsewhere, Orphan of Kos and Maria of the Clocktower were just amazingly fun bosses, because while they're strong and have very fast attacks they feel 100% fair because a good bullet at the right time stops them dead and opens them up.

I would definitely play a sequel to Bloodborne in a heartbeat though and I liked it much more than Dark Souls II. But I feel there is the whole thing with the Electric Deer and Smelter Demon PTSD coming back to me there...

Aegeri on
    edited August 2021

I think the total is 9-11 bosses you can parry/riposte

(Spoilered list, incomplete?)
    Gundyr 1
    Crystal Sage
    Deacons
    Abyss Watchers
    Pontiff
    Gundyr 2
    Lorian
    Halflight
    Gravetender
    Friede

jungleroomx on
    edited August 2021

(11-13 actually, if we count the 2 NPC minibosses from the DLC)
    gundyr, abyss watchers, sulyvan, then the humans--friede, halflight, gravetender.

you can parry deacons and crystal sage but... you won't, because why would you?

bloodborne has gascoigne, bloodstarved, logarius, gehrman, shadows of yharnam, living failures, maria, orphan, and a couple chalice bosses

Elendil on
    high

(11-13 actually, if we count the 2 NPC minibosses from the DLC)
    gundyr, abyss watchers, sulyvan, then the humans--friede, halflight, gravetender.

you can parry deacons and crystal sage but... you won't, because why would you?

bloodborne has gascoigne, bloodstarved, logarius, gehrman, shadows of yharnam, living failures, maria, orphan, and a couple chalice bosses

You can parry
    Lorian

When he does that teleport slam

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    You can parry
    Lorian

When he does that teleport slam

this is some god damn insight

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    i was gonna say it doesn't count if you can't riposte, but you do get the counter hit thunks, so i'll allow it i guess

The enemies that fucked me up the most, tho

aphptosoqqcd.png

This discussion has been closed.