As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Mrs Moon and Athena are up north at her dad's cabin with all the cousins for Fourth of July weekend and I'm home all lonely, working up the willpower to clean up.

I also took a half hour long nap that I woke up three hours later from, so that sucks.

Uh. You're by yourself for a weekend?

That literally is a dream of mine.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Mrs Moon and Athena are up north at her dad's cabin with all the cousins for Fourth of July weekend and I'm home all lonely, working up the willpower to clean up.

I also took a half hour long nap that I woke up three hours later from, so that sucks.

That sounds amazing.

It would be more amazing if I didn't have to be up for work at 4am tomorrow. Now I probably won't be able to fall asleep until midnight.

Well, well, well, my old friend Midnight is here and I'm trying to force myself to sleep

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It is currently 03:40. Our child, who at 9 months had happily eaten a bowl of shepherds pie and most of a bottle at 18:30, then chased another 8oz bottle at 23:15, woke up thirty minutes ago, absolutely screaming the place down. No pats, no self soothe, no diaper change was enough (though he did have a very full wet diaper TBF). He needed another 8oz bottle, which he absolutely demolished, before zonking out again.

We’re at a loss, honestly. He ate a lot of solids at daycare. He ate two big bottles at daycare. He ate more of his three bottles at home than usual. He ate a normal amount of solids at home. But…oh he just woke up again.

What is going on tonight, kid? Why so hungry and out of band awake/out of sorts? We’re getting over our second doses, and everyone wants to sleeeeep.

CroakerBC on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Teeth.

Or a developmental leap.

Growth spurt.

Or fuck you, I'm a baby.

Sometimes it's hard to really tell.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Great, I'm probably on a watchlist now.
    Wanted to look up a girls growth chart to check how long ours might fit in a i-size car seat if she continues to grow like she does and the first result is a google "ad" that paedophilia is illegal.

edited July 2021
    Teeth.

Or a developmental leap.

Growth spurt.

Or fuck you, I'm a baby.

Sometimes it's hard to really tell.

Our money is on growth spurt - his teeth tend to wake him up, but not make him hungry beyond wanting something to chew. But yes, all of these. Really so appreciate the validation. Wasn’t thinking too clearly at the time, and reading that list is helping, is, too. Had forgotten developmental leap, even!

Still exhausted. Not a good day for a chat with the CTO, but here we are. Kid’s still cute though - got up same as usual and is full of bounce!

CroakerBC on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yesterday I got home and found my youngest naked, underneath the kitchen table, screaming in rage. When my partner would try to pick her up she'd retreat out of reach.

Nobody knows what happened. Toddlers are dumb.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Toddlers are disgusting, dumb, and difficult. They’re also amazing, astounding, and amusing.

Some days, the ratio REALLY tips too far in a challenging direction and then the confusion and insecurity and guilt set in.

Other, much rarer days, the ratio goes the other way, and then you’re like… hey let’s make another.

So as dumb as toddlers are, adults are arguably dumber.

(We are NOT pregnant. I just realized that could read like a subtle announcement. It is NOT that.)

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    My toddler (2, will be three later this month) has some pretty severe separation anxiety. If I so much as leave the room he gets very very scared and just screams, demanding that I come pick him up. Leaving for work every morning is a shitshow where his poor mother has to try to calm him down and his brother (5) just has to deal with the yelling. The 5 year old is also pretty sensitive to loud noises, so that definitely doesn't help.

I myself had pretty severe separation anxiety when I was little, and it lasted until I was about 6-7 years old. I hope this poor kid can get over it before then, but since he takes after me so much in mood I'm not going to hold my breath.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Not sure if I posted this but I think my toddler has it out for me.
    upnq2ztjbc0v.jpg

Dixon on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Not sure if I posted this but I think my toddler has it out for me.
    upnq2ztjbc0v.jpg

You think your toddler has it out for you? They're a toddler, of course they have it out for you. :lol:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Yeah my two year old has been very clingy recently.

However he's started saying "I love you daddy" so all is forgiven :P

Our problem is that my wife tries for way way too long to negotiate with a sociopath Toddler.

When the kid is just full on screaming and no longer listening I take them to time out for two mins and I swear to God it's like hitting the reset button on a BSOD. Afterwards the kid is quiet and much more able to communicate at what's going on.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Our problem is that my wife tries for way way too long to negotiate with a sociopath Toddler.

When the kid is just full on screaming and no longer listening I take them to time out for two mins and I swear to God it's like hitting the reset button on a BSOD. Afterwards the kid is quiet and much more able to communicate at what's going on.

True. But getting the kid there is its own screaming match sometimes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

True. But getting the kid there is its own screaming match sometimes.

For sure I'm not looking forward to the time when I can't just pick them up

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    It is currently 03:40. Our child, who at 9 months had happily eaten a bowl of shepherds pie and most of a bottle at 18:30, then chased another 8oz bottle at 23:15, woke up thirty minutes ago, absolutely screaming the place down. No pats, no self soothe, no diaper change was enough (though he did have a very full wet diaper TBF). He needed another 8oz bottle, which he absolutely demolished, before zonking out again.

We’re at a loss, honestly. He ate a lot of solids at daycare. He ate two big bottles at daycare. He ate more of his three bottles at home than usual. He ate a normal amount of solids at home. But…oh he just woke up again.

What is going on tonight, kid? Why so hungry and out of band awake/out of sorts? We’re getting over our second doses, and everyone wants to sleeeeep.

Yo, my 9 month old just cut his first tooth through, and he has been understandably pissed off about it. Look for red spots on gums where a tooth might be starting to go through.

And slam those baby painkillers. When we first became parents we felt really guilty about using them at first with kid #1 but at some point life is better when everyone can sleep - and he teethed for 2 damn years.

Also, we got these type of things , and my wife has been loading them up with frozen blueberries and letting baby go to town and I think it's helpful for his teething discomfort

:so_raven:
    Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen is something, I think, every parent wished they did earlier.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah my SO felt really guilt about that as well, I was definitely the opposite there.

Now a days though, fever is there and the wife is busting out the bottle before I am.

Those frozen pacifiers you linked Corvus though are great as well, they definitely helped with any sort of teething issue.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    They also make something similar that is just a small mesh bag on the end of a pacifier handle, same basic concept.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    I am at once mildly pleased and mildly aggravated that the boy has always refused a paci. It’ll mean not having to train him out of them, but would be handy right now.

I am at once mildly pleased and mildly aggravated that the boy has always refused a paci. It’ll mean not having to train him out of them, but would be handy right now.

Neither of my kids wanted anything to do with pacifiers and I'm still jealous if parents who can just plug their kids in with one

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Both of my kids just got to a certain point and stopped using pacifiers all on their own. Just one day BAM, no thank you, I'm done with that baby shit. Instead I will scream more, thanks.

Neither of my kids are really into pacifiers. The thing I posted is a feeding tool, not a pacifier. You put food in it, and they suck on it and juices come through. Its a way you can give foods that they might not be ready to chew on yet but can get the flavour and temperature from.

Corvus wrote: »
    Neither of my kids are really into pacifiers. The thing I posted is a feeding tool, not a pacifier. You put food in it, and they suck on it and juices come through. Its a way you can give foods that they might not be ready to chew on yet but can get the flavour and temperature from.

Interesting! I’m not sure the boy would take anything unfamiliar into his mouth like that - he is very proud of his two bitey teeth - but it may well be worth a try.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie's teething item of choice was pickled gherkins.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My kiddo insisted on either a pacifier or my thumb.

And he liked to bite. So the choice was obvious.

He was born with teeth. Which he still refuses to use; he recently tried cookies because of Cookie Monster, got crumbs on his tongue and immediately freaked the hell out. Texture issues are a blast.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    *starts winding up the panic machine"

Athena and Mrs Moon went up to her dad's cabin this weekend and this morning Mrs Moon found an itty-bitty tick on her chest

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Athena and Mrs Moon went up to her dad's cabin this weekend and this morning Mrs Moon found an itty-bitty tick on her chest

Probably nothing. I had a tick attached to my head a few weeks ago and freaked out. My doc said that as long as it hasn't been there more than a couple days the risk is almost zero.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

Worst comes to worst, just get the prophylactic antibiotic dose. I've already had to do that twice this year. Ticks are off the charts.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Just check in with her doc for advice and keep an eye on her for symptoms (fever, bullseye rash).

Luckily, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the antibiotics are still very effective. Hopefully Lyme doesn't develop resistance any time soon.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Yeah, Mrs Moon had called the doc and I'm taking her in just as a precaution.

I think she got it at her grandparents' yesterday, because it's not like we haven't seen her without her shirt on since they got back from camping.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Come to think of it, it's been over a week since my youngest had a run in with a Tick and no symptoms, so I think I can finally dispose of it now. That's a relief.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Corvus wrote: »

Yo, my 9 month old just cut his first tooth through, and he has been understandably pissed off about it. Look for red spots on gums where a tooth might be starting to go through.

And slam those baby painkillers. When we first became parents we felt really guilty about using them at first with kid #1 but at some point life is better when everyone can sleep - and he teethed for 2 damn years.

Also, we got these type of things , and my wife has been loading them up with frozen blueberries and letting baby go to town and I think it's helpful for his teething discomfort

Literally minutes after posting this my wife found the second lower front tooth coming through.

Doc looked at the tick, looked at the bite mark, and said that if any symptoms started to appear he'd do antibiotics but at this point it's just observing.

THEN we found out the hard way that if you try to feed Athena refried beans at a Mexican restaurant they'll immediately get upgraded to refried AND regurgitated!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

That's true for me too.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    We were going to go to a museum of natural history this morning, but Little King just coughed so often that he woke me up. He was looking forward to seeing the dinosaurs all week.

Is this some kind of cosmic punishment? They just punish the whole household with crap like this.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    We were going to go to a museum of natural history this morning, but Little King just coughed so often that he woke me up. He was looking forward to seeing the dinosaurs all week.

Is this some kind of cosmic punishment? They just punish the whole household with crap like this.

Oh and now that it is morning he hasn't coughed once. Now I'm just tired.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Seriously how are you supposed to cope with a baby whose teething response is constant diarrhea?

I think we've had 3 solid poops in the last three weeks.
    Daycare is getting pissed at us as she's going through like three outfit changes per day.

She's constant whining and has had low grade diaper rash this whole time so now starts screaming and rolling whenever she's on the changing table even if she's not in pain.

I am so fucking tired and everything is three times harder than it should be. Except her poop I guess

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Have you looked into any antidiarrheal medicines?

I know it sounds like a no duh question, but if you're that tired, you're not thinking clearly.

See if your pediatrician can recommend anything to help.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Kinda unfair that day care are being pissy with you. Yeah it's not nice for them but it's not like you're doing this on purpose....

Unfortunately only advice I can give is that it will eventually get better. Have you done some nappy free time? Fresh air always helped our son when he had nappy rash.

At the park today was a girl around 3.5 years old. She was climbing some netting shouting "I AM THE SPIDER KING" at anyone who came nearby.

Kids are weird.