As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Glorfindel

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Glorfindel

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    He chose... poorly

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Also shades of

215186837_A5WVR-L-2.jpg

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Oh, they've gone to the "you're playing against bots" well more times than I care to post right now. I expected that's where this was going so it was a nice change.

• Options
    Was Gabe's whole family murdering Bots or Children that one time in whatever that game was?

(So helpful brain)

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ThanatosiaThanatosia Registered User regular
    Anyone understand why this strip is named Glorfindel? I know who the elf is, but am at a loss for why this strip would be named after him.

• Options
    NemuriBakuNemuriBaku Registered User regular
    Thanatosia wrote: »
    Anyone understand why this strip is named Glorfindel? I know who the elf is, but am at a loss for why this strip would be named after him.

I think it is an ironic reference to this:

'The Fall of Gondolin relates that "Glorfindel and the Balrog" became an in-universe proverb used in Elven culture to describe great skill and courage in battle.'

In the same way that people use "Nimrod" sarcastically. Since Tycho isn't exacly fighting Balrogs.

• Options
    The real question is why it's not named Golfrindel.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I thought it was a pun on the word "Glory". Like, he thinks he's earned glory by dominating in Mario Golf, but he hasn't actually? I dunno.

I did know the elf's name instinctively (the name is also used for a minor hero in Fellowship of the Ring), and I just figured it was used for the similar sounds.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Enlong wrote: »
    I thought it was a pun on the word "Glory". Like, he thinks he's earned glory by dominating in Mario Golf, but he hasn't actually? I dunno.

I did know the elf's name instinctively (the name is also used for a minor hero in Fellowship of the Ring), and I just figured it was used for the similar sounds.

It's actually the same elf, reincarnated (okay, technically re-embodied).

dennis on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Huh. Genuinely interesting.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Huh. Genuinely interesting.

The weirdest part to me was what an incredibly tiny role he played in those books. It's like writing a World War II epic in which a re-embodied George Washington appears for one scene at the beginning of the movie to shoot down a plane that's about to drop a bomb on the heroes.

Okay, so having written that, maybe a little bit of weirdness would be a good thing. Possibly for an Inglourious Basterds sequel.

(Also, the guy is basically named "Blondie".)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Was Gabe's whole family murdering Bots or Children that one time in whatever that game was?

(So helpful brain)

I remember one of their kids wanted to go pro in Fortnight because they kept winning in newbie games full of bots.