As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All [birds], all the time!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    4g4c85wodhkc.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    omigosh!!!!!!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Finally pulled the memory card from my camera.

y9lec5bietv8.jpg

Also love this vibe

ehvdpfmyvhce.jpg

• Options
    BTW this was the loudest bird all weekend.

ybieugse9mw3.jpg

• Options
    8fkyyz2q7gqu.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Weaver wrote: »
    BTW this was the loudest bird all weekend.

(cool ass jet)

I really wish fighter jets weren't incredibly expensive engines of death and destruction, because purely as examples of human ingenuity and design they are rad as hell

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    I had mentioned that the Cornell Lab of Ornithology had an experimental bird song ID program they were working on. It's now released as part of the Merlin Bird ID app, free to download and use. It does require some additional downloads to get ID packs for your region (they have a lot of regions, not just the US but internationally).

I just tested it out the last couple days when I heard familiar bird songs that I recognized. Chipping sparrow being chippy in a tree? It IDed it correctly. Song sparrow? IDed that and also a passing crow cawing by. Red eyed vireo? Same. Can't wait to try it when I next hear an unfamiliar song.

• Options
    So I've been playing around with Merlin a bit more, and finally used it on a bird call that I absolutely didn't know. I mean, I recognized it; I hear it in the woods around here all the time. I knew it was from a thrush, but couldn't figure out which species exactly - trying to listen to a bunch of recordings of different species just confused me. It's something I'm really bad at.

But the app identified the singer of what I was calling Techno Flute: the hermit thrush. And now that I had that confirmed, I could listen to recordings to really cement that in my brain.

Anyway, here's the Techno Flute of the hermit thrush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cCIh72uio8

Birds have voiceboxes that are branched, so they can make two separate sounds at once.

Cornell_BirdAcademy_syrinxanimation-830x600.gif

It's called a syrinx, and not all birds utilize it to its fullest, but some can harmonize with themselves, and/or make the ethereal sounds of many thrush species.

Birds are cool.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Give me Bird Cheers or give me death!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I haven't heard that mystery bird since I downloaded that app.

Tch, figures.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mayabird wrote: »
    So I've been playing around with Merlin a bit more, and finally used it on a bird call that I absolutely didn't know. I mean, I recognized it; I hear it in the woods around here all the time. I knew it was from a thrush, but couldn't figure out which species exactly - trying to listen to a bunch of recordings of different species just confused me. It's something I'm really bad at.

But the app identified the singer of what I was calling Techno Flute: the hermit thrush. And now that I had that confirmed, I could listen to recordings to really cement that in my brain.

Anyway, here's the Techno Flute of the hermit thrush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cCIh72uio8

Birds have voiceboxes that are branched, so they can make two separate sounds at once.

Cornell_BirdAcademy_syrinxanimation-830x600.gif

It's called a syrinx, and not all birds utilize it to its fullest, but some can harmonize with themselves, and/or make the ethereal sounds of many thrush species.

Birds are cool.

As I was reading and listening to this post some bird was starting to sing outside our window. We'll I guess now I know we have thrushes here in the city.

Probably just a common blackbird though.

Sidenote? Why are new world blackbirds even called blackbirds? They are so colourful!

honovere on
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Sidenote? Why are new world blackbirds even called blackbirds? They are so colourful!

There are a lot of new world birds that were named after not at similar or related old world species because whatever dude shot them first thought they resembled some species from Europe. Orioles in the Americas for instance are named after old world orioles, except that New World orioles are icterids (New World blackbirds)

ucrdubr35siz.jpg
    (example: Baltimore oriole, icterid/New World blackbird)

and not at all closely related to Old World orioles - they just also happened to be orange/yellow and black.

640px-Loriot_d%27Europe_by_Michel_Idre.jpg
    (example: Eurasian golden oriole, in the actual oriole family)

Same with European robins

tumblr_n3gmb1Z2jo1tpu90eo6_500.jpg
    (Passerine/songbird, most closely related to old world flycatchers)

and then American robins

American-Robin-06.jpg
    (Thrush, and also notably larger and a different shape and really the colors don't match all that much and I am really just extremely confused as to how they called this sucker a robin)

and then Australasian robins, which at least are slightly more closely related to European robins than thrushes, though not by much:

_DSC0236%2B%25282%2529.jpg
    (Pink robin, which is also at least a similar size and shape)

Tl;dr: Bird naming conventions are often really stupid.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Well at least with learning about the American Robin Batman's sidekick makes a tiny bit more sense.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That picture of the European Robin is one of the most borb I have seen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    To confuse matters further, an adolescent American Robin:
    51254181015_ef6953ef00_c.jpg

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    f0bed9o7irok.jpg

One of our Swedish Flower Hens getting ready for the day.

LowHitPoints on
  • Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    wytdreqdh5ta.jpg

My son reading our hens a book about haircuts. 2020 was a weird one...

To bring this back to birds, backyard chickens are the best. Fresh eggs, on site pest control (turning over an ant hill is like breaking open a pinata to them), and endless fun for the kids to chase. While very common, chickens are A+ birds.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey, fianlly got out my telephoto camera lensand I want to start doing bird pics.

We've got a good sized yard but I'd like to get a freestanding bird feeder, any recommendations?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hey I knew that about robins but not about orioles

This explains so much about how the local oriole (black-naped) has like zero physical resemblance to orioles in the US

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hey, fianlly got out my telephoto camera lensand I want to start doing bird pics.

We've got a good sized yard but I'd like to get a freestanding bird feeder, any recommendations?

If just one, one with sunflower seeds. Do you have a lot of squirrels around? Something to baffle 'em if they are. Also, place it nearish some cover like trees and bushes because birds don't like venturing out too far from safety.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

If just one, one with sunflower seeds. Do you have a lot of squirrels around? Something to baffle 'em if they are. Also, place it nearish some cover like trees and bushes because birds don't like venturing out too far from safety.

Adding to the good advice, in my experience, hardware store will have better prices on like a huge bag of sunflower seed than the grocery store will. Also screw squirrels, they are unconquerable menaces if you cant put the feeder truly out of reach. I swear ours developed a taste for the cayenne pepper I coated the (still in the shell) sunflower seeds in. A couple days of them wiping their paws in the grass followed by them either learning a trick to be more careful or just becoming spice perverts like humans. I wouldn't have done it at all but they eat SO. MUCH. SEED. compared to the birds. I finally gave up and shelled out for one of these: (link in spoiler cause big) and it actually worked quite well to deter the squirrels. Then they learned they could leap on it which would disturb things enough to spill the seed and that was that really.

If you are pondering more than one feeder, I think bang for the buck wise it would go: Sunflower seeds, then either finch feeder (with nyjer seed) or suet feeder, depending on if you have/want finches or jays/woodpeckers more, and then the other one. I feel like hummingbird feeders are kind of their own deal due to the extra cleaning required, though they aren't all that bad if you keep up with it.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I have done everything I can to keep squirrels off my feeders. They always find ways around it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Alternatively, give up altogether, expand your definition of "bird" and accept paying signifigantly more in bird feed:
    51289590503_3025124004_c.jpg

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Jedoc wrote: »

My great/great aunts had one of those! Right outside their sliding glass door. They were an amazing, older duo, literally the comedy set up of one going blind and the other going deaf, I helped care for them for a while as a shitty teenager. They had TONS of feeders, and the one loosing her sight could identify just about any bird song (they had a CD with a couple hundred on it, I could hit random and she'd hit about 90%+.) and the sighted one obviously had things a little easier being able to see the feeders, though I couldn't check her as easily. Anyway, they both were brought great joy whenever you'd hear or see the *WHUMP* that meant a squirrel had gone for the seed again and been tossed into the glass door. I didn't love cleaning the streaks but such is life. That thing did eat batteries but it was also early 2000's, could have come quite a ways since then.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nice, thanks everyone for the suggestions, we definitely already have squirrels as the backyard is against a park with quite a few trees.

I didn’t realize they were so ravenous. I’ll probably stick with one and get the bulk sunflower seed from the hardware store.

That feeder with the rotating base is hilarious.

• Options

Adding to the good advice, in my experience, hardware store will have better prices on like a huge bag of sunflower seed than the grocery store will. Also screw squirrels, they are unconquerable menaces if you cant put the feeder truly out of reach. I swear ours developed a taste for the cayenne pepper I coated the (still in the shell) sunflower seeds in. A couple days of them wiping their paws in the grass followed by them either learning a trick to be more careful or just becoming spice perverts like humans. I wouldn't have done it at all but they eat SO. MUCH. SEED. compared to the birds. I finally gave up and shelled out for one of these: (link in spoiler cause big) and it actually worked quite well to deter the squirrels. Then they learned they could leap on it which would disturb things enough to spill the seed and that was that really.

If you are pondering more than one feeder, I think bang for the buck wise it would go: Sunflower seeds, then either finch feeder (with nyjer seed) or suet feeder, depending on if you have/want finches or jays/woodpeckers more, and then the other one. I feel like hummingbird feeders are kind of their own deal due to the extra cleaning required, though they aren't all that bad if you keep up with it.

Also, just in springtime so a little late to try this year (assuming northern hemisphere), you could try half an orange stuck through a branch. It can attract a wide array of birds that don't normally visit a seed feeder, though on a more temporary basis. Of course, it's also a lot less infrastructure to set up.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Not birds, but these guys eat more of the seed than the birds. And we use those seed blocks. We used to use loose seed, but they would throw it on the ground faster than this stuff.
    3bwi88rkwyxf.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I can't tell what we're looking at there.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It appears to be a daring Mission Impossible-style heist of a bird feeder by a squirrel hanging upside down from the crossbar by its feet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I can't tell what we're looking at there.

If you rotate the image 180 degrees you will see that it is in fact a squirrel

bu6zwhkkbunu.jpg

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    New birb

et6t39t3yf77.jpg

Sibling not pictured.
    This is momma dove's 3rd pair of birds this summer in that nest.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I've never seen a squirrel that brown before.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Doves have multiple sets of offspring in a year? I had no idea.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doves have to brood multiple times a year because they are, quite frankly, terrible at building nests that protect the eggs.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Doves have multiple sets of offspring in a year? I had no idea.

Depends.. In germany, there's the rock dove, and these are basically offspring of escaped pets and breeding animals..

And these breed ALWAYS. Like, they breed as often as they can. They tried cutting food supply in some cities, but it turned out they breed the about same amount, only the young go hungry...

Then there various wild dove types, and those seem to breed way less, some just once or twice a year.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg