As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Lego] Thread

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    WHY WAS THERE NOT ALREADY A LIMIT OF 1? God damn it companies.

It's amazing how many multi-billion dollar companies don't just keep some executive's middle school nephew on staff to explain to them how the internet works.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    rndmhero wrote: »

It's amazing how many multi-billion dollar companies don't just keep some executive's middle school nephew on staff to explain to them how the internet works.

They don't actually care. They get the money no matter what even if only one guy buys them all.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

They explained that they realize it was a mistake since they based the limit on their previous exclusive which did not sell out. Saw somewhere that only 5% of the orders bought 5, so hopefully that means most went to fans.

Edit: Also seems that the decisions were made by Bricklink rather than Lego. <- Edit 2: Nope, yeah from Lego not Bricklink.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

They don't actually care. They get the money no matter what even if only one guy buys them all.

I disagree. Major companies care about their reputation, or at least recognize where negative press hurts them. It’s an intangible thing that can have tangible impacts on sales and bottom line. Lego is generally a quite beloved franchise and household name, and while such a minor issue (in the grand scheme of things) is unlikely to change that, pissing off a bunch of your most die hard fans isn’t going to be helpful either.

(Citation: I am a small cog in a multi-billion dollar company, and brand integrity comes up pretty regularly, and has for years)

Yes, allowing potentially 1,000 buyers to clear out the 5,000 limit was dumb, and they’ve had issues with bots and resellers for quite some time, based even just on a cursory read of these threads.

But hopefully they make some reasonable non-token efforts.

Though for a product line with likely millions or tens of millions of fans across all ages, even 10,000 seems aggressively low, but I’m no stranger to artificial scarcity to drive demand either.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also - some people may want to buy multiples so they can send to family and build at the same time, or as a special gift. I know many grandparents that get all the grandkids common sets/presents for things like this as it's just easier. I agree that it should be limit 1, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would want multiples.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

I disagree. Major companies care about their reputation, or at least recognize where negative press hurts them. It’s an intangible thing that can have tangible impacts on sales and bottom line. Lego is generally a quite beloved franchise and household name, and while such a minor issue (in the grand scheme of things) is unlikely to change that, pissing off a bunch of your most die hard fans isn’t going to be helpful either.

(Citation: I am a small cog in a multi-billion dollar company, and brand integrity comes up pretty regularly, and has for years)

Yes, allowing potentially 1,000 buyers to clear out the 5,000 limit was dumb, and they’ve had issues with bots and resellers for quite some time, based even just on a cursory read of these threads.

But hopefully they make some reasonable non-token efforts.

Though for a product line with likely millions or tens of millions of fans across all ages, even 10,000 seems aggressively low, but I’m no stranger to artificial scarcity to drive demand either.

Oddly enough, they didn't piss off most of their die hard fans with this one. I was surprised that the response to Lego's post is generally happy with what Lego is doing. Well ok, other than some wishing they would print 10,000 more of the castle sets.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Oh, I wasn’t asserting that they were pissing off their fans, aside from noting a potential snag.

I was pushing back against the idea that they don’t care about their reputation.

Corporations absolutely care. It doesn’t mean they’ll bend over backwards to placate a small but vocal subset of their consumer base, but they do care, broadly speaking, and major blows to that reputation (again, this isn’t one of those) are where the PR and spin machines can really earn their pay.

There are entire companies dedicated to establishing employee engagement and happiness levels, ones that take those rankings and wear them like a badge of honour. (So… many… surveys…)

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, I wasn’t asserting that they were pissing off their fans, aside from noting a potential snag.

I was pushing back against the idea that they don’t care about their reputation.

Corporations absolutely care. It doesn’t mean they’ll bend over backwards to placate a small but vocal subset of their consumer base, but they do care, broadly speaking, and major blows to that reputation (again, this isn’t one of those) are where the PR and spin machines can really earn their pay.

There are entire companies dedicated to establishing employee engagement and happiness levels, ones that take those rankings and wear them like a badge of honour. (So… many… surveys…)

Gotcha! Also yes, I loathe surveys of employee engagement and happiness.

Lego did realize that this looked bad for their reputation they are trying to build with the Adult Fans of Lego and did something to fix it.

I do love how their system messed up and allowed 10,000 castles to be sold when the limit was 5,000. Talk about a major "whoops".

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    These adult sets are getting outta hand
    rryoyz49n79c.png

• Options
    I suspect that the Bricklink designer thing is just such a new avenue for them that they were genuinely caught off guard by how popular it was.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Well it is set number 69420, so the Adult line is clearly off to a... nice start.
    I feel dirty even saying that mockingly

Forar on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Imagine a Lego Technic articulated robot hand, though

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

So…Luke’s replacement hand?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's what gave me the idea :P
    Or The Terminator, but that might be too mature a franchise even for an 18+ build

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7RGeEcInOQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoMPGLrXPeM

the full pneumatic one is really cool, i wish they had more videos of it in action

Brolo on
  • Options
    there's also a student who built an automail arm with technic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0UB-gQ30sE
    David Aguilar built his own working prosthetic arm – from LEGO bricks. The genius engineering student was born without a right forearm, but now makes his own prosthetics using the creative power of LEGO bricks. This is his amazing story.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Now that I am to the sails of the barracuda, is it weird that I am considering aftermarket sails?

sAPoUa7l.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Now that I am to the sails of the barracuda, is it weird that I am considering aftermarket sails?

sAPoUa7l.jpg

Nah, those sails are ok, but nothing like the older ones. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to get thicker cloth sails for your set.

I started on the 89 Batmobile since it is super hot at home. Got halfway through and I seriously love the detail and build of this thing so far. My wife built the Batwing in the time it took me to build half of the Batmobile. The Batwing is so awesome and glad we got it. Next on that build is the stand and wall mount it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The big thing is the sails being printed on a single side. It's just... Cheap? My destiny's bounty has the same problem.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    The big thing is the sails being printed on a single side. It's just.. Cheap? My destiny's bounty has the same problem.

yeah this seems particularly silly especially cause, like, these big three mast sailing ships are top of the line sets!

Like if it's a $30 set with a sailboat ok but they could do so much better for the big setpieces

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Welp splurged a bit for double points week... Got the Saturn V since I heard it's going away soon, and the NES since it seems like the kind of set that would vanish without warning. Got some cool bonuses too, Charles Dickens (Yay looks cool!) and Adidas Shoe (meh).

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Saw that they have the Tuk Tuk finally in stock. This thing has been out of stock forever it seems.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/tuk-tuk-40469

Edit: Ooooh, new VW Van Camper being released on the magical August 1 date.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/volkswagen-t2-camper-van-10279

I love this one since we had a similar model (without camper top). Going to have to pick one up and see if I can modify it to make it look like my old van.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Utah company halts sales of Lego handgun case kits after cease and desist
    Utah company halts sales of Lego handgun case kits after cease and desist
    Culper Precision said on Instagram of the kits: ‘We wanted the second amendment to simply be too painful to tread on’
    theguardian.com

oh that is egregiously stupid - like making a toy gun look like a real gun is dumb, because even through it can't harm people it can still scare or threaten them

making a real gun look like a toy gun is way worse though, like i can't think of a reason to convince anyone that your deadly weapon is just a toy outside of terrorism, pretty much

• Options
    Good way for a kid to accidentally pick up a real gun and do something awful

• Options
    Every day I think we're at a low point someone comes along and proves there is a new level zero.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    That's impressively stupid.

• Options
    On a lighter note, the most recent set to reach 10k support is amazing:

TRADITIONAL GERMAN COTTAGE
    webp
    webp

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    That looks so cute, but I hope they can improve the flowers on the windowsills to be the OG red European Alpine Geraniums.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Those roofs look like chocolate and I want to eat them.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I believe that color is officially called medium nougat.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Those roofs look like chocolate and I want to eat them.
    I believe that color is officially called medium nougat.

Both of these posts are not helping! I now have to hunt down some chocolate in my house otherwise I'm going to go insane.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    I ended up holding off on the Daily Bugle and ordered the rest of the Speed Champions sets that I was missing along with the Imperial Shuttle. Maybe another day I can find the time and space for the DB.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd still have preferred the TIE.
    Or the Nebulon-B.

Oh well, at least I won't have to budget for that one.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

That's a big ship. Yikes!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I really like the Republic Gunship but not $350 love it. I probably won't get another one unless they make a better minifig scale one.

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I'd still have preferred the TIE.
    Or the Nebulon-B.

Oh well, at least I won't have to budget for that one.

Same here. I'm not the biggest fan of the prequels and while this set does look cool, it doesn't appeal to me as a purchase. More power to those who do want it though. I'll be saving my money instead for the rumored UCS AT-AT Imperial Walker set that's supposed to be released later this year.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    All I see in that huge Republic Gunship is how much of a detailed Nebulon we could have had.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    As a kid I had that Gunship as a toy when the Attack of the Clones came out. I really liked that it had bay doors that would swing open and a handle on top so you could hold it easier while playing with it

This one:
    6p5jb8yi4fj1.jpg

It even has a tow cable kinda like a snowspeeder so you could dangle people off the back and such

• Options
    ... as a kid... yeaaah... *cries in old man*

This discussion has been closed.