As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Excellent scheduling choice

2»

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    randomguy quit his job to ride with us on the CCST last year

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    _______moe wrote: »
    randomguy quit his job to ride with us on the CCST last year

Damn... that's dedication. They should give that guy a free slot in the Omeganauts for that.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • HeliosphanHeliosphan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I didn't have the funds to attend last year but this year, well, i'm going to make it a nice big holiday for myself.
    I have never been outside the EU or to a game convention so i'm pretty hyped about this, seriously, fucking excited. Hope I get a spot at the pre PAX dinner so I can meet people and not be by myself for the weekend.

Heliosphan on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's impossible to be by yourself at PAX, unless you spend the whole time in the bathroom. Even then, someone is bound to strike up a conversation with you.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know I did strike up some random urinal convos...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited January 2008
    I saw a group of people in the BYOC men's room chatting it up

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You could probably get decent connection for Mario Kart on the DS in the bathroom.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2008
    Superb, thats good to know. I'm still going to try and get a spot at the dinner hopefully.
    Now i need to figure out how to spend the other non-PAX days. Does Seattle have much to offer?

Heliosphan on
    edited January 2008
    Nope, nothing to do. The World's Fair was hosted in Seattle because it's so gosh darn boring. ;)

Check this place out: http://www.seattleattractions.com/

Liger on
    edited January 2008
    Aside from the links in that list, this is also THE place to go if you're into anything made by Wizards of the Coast. I haven't actually been there, but I've seen pictures of WoTC's apparently large building in downtown Seattle... I'm definitely going there this time around. =)

Also, just across the river in Redmond is the Microsoft and Nintendo of America headquarters. I imagine some kind of tour could theoretically be arranged... I've got to look into that myself though, I'll let you know if it can be done and how if I manage to get one. =)

VThornheart on
    edited January 2008
    Now that would be cool!
    This holiday is looking set to be a blast.
    We don't have much in the way of headquarters for esteemed corporations like Microsoft or Nintendo over my way, so I should take advantage of it while i'm there.

Now my only concerns are the fear of getting a body cavity search on the way in and buying to much stuff at PAX too push my baggage over the weight limit and pay a fortune and then getting a body cavity search on the way out

Heliosphan on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heliosphan wrote: »
    Now that would be cool!
    This holiday is looking set to be a blast.
    We don't have much in the way of headquarters for esteemed corporations like Microsoft or Nintendo over my way, so I should take advantage of it while i'm there.

Now my only concerns are the fear of getting a body cavity search on the way in and buying to much stuff at PAX too push my baggage over the weight limit and pay a fortune and then getting a body cavity search on the way out

Theres a fedex shipping center in the WSCTC. You could always box stuff up and send it to yourself?

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aside from the links in that list, this is also THE place to go if you're into anything made by Wizards of the Coast. I haven't actually been there, but I've seen pictures of WoTC's apparently large building in downtown Seattle... I'm definitely going there this time around. =)

Also, just across the river in Redmond is the Microsoft and Nintendo of America headquarters. I imagine some kind of tour could theoretically be arranged... I've got to look into that myself though, I'll let you know if it can be done and how if I manage to get one. =)

Speaking of Nintendo of America's HQ, guess who works there? I do, I do!

Not that it will help you, I'm just a lowly peon that works in the basement warehouse. But I don't know about a tour, unless you have a group. We have tours run through, but they usually look like either a foreign group touring through, or some business group. If a bunch of people got together and tried, they might spring for it, not sure though.

I've lived here in Redmond for almost 2 years, and I have YET to go see the WoTC building! Another thing I haven't been too: The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited January 2008
    Snickers wrote: »

Speaking of Nintendo of America's HQ, guess who works there? I do, I do!

Not that it will help you, I'm just a lowly peon that works in the basement warehouse. But I don't know about a tour, unless you have a group. We have tours run through, but they usually look like either a foreign group touring through, or some business group. If a bunch of people got together and tried, they might spring for it, not sure though.

I've lived here in Redmond for almost 2 years, and I have YET to go see the WoTC building! Another thing I haven't been too: The Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame.

That's awesome that you work there! What's it like? What on earth do you do in the basement? =)

Hmm... well, hopefully we'd have a better chance of getting in as a group then! I started a thread to see if there was any interest in forming a "Pre- (or Post-)PAX tour group" that maybe would be able to get more influence in the "securing a tour" department. =)

And if we make such a group, going to the WoTC building is ON like Donkey Kong. The last time I went to PAX, I promised myself I'd go there and didn't end up having time to. I'm not going to let that happen again. =)

VThornheart on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mainly I do assembly line type things. Refurbishing systems and the like. Not very exciting when you get past the initial "OMG I'M WORKING FOR NINTENDO" Fan-boy squeal. Meet a lot of interesting people here, thats for sure!

I would be so down with the WoTC trip!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
    edited January 2008
    Im at MSFT and it wouldnt be very exciting to take a tour :P You can go to the visitor center and see the history of MS but thats about the most interesting thing there.

BigRed on
    edited January 2008
    Ah, I see you already got to the thread I made about it. =) We'll talk over there, but I think some might find it interesting potentially. I mean, if Cabot Cheese gives a tour of their factory, Microsoft (or at least the X-Box portion of their campus) should be just as interesting... I'd think =)

VThornheart on
  • pagerunnerpagerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I just noticed that with PAX08 being on the 29-31 of August...

Oh, fnargh. I just realized what that means. It overlaps with Bumbershoot.

Fair warning: Seattle's going to be a little bit nuts. Bumbershoot (three-day music/arts/etc. festival) is staged at the Seattle Center, so it's not in the immediate vicinity, but expect a whole lot of people to be trekking there and back via the downtown core. (The Monorail, for instance, actually gets USED that weekend.) And at PAX itself, you'll probably get the locals like me, flailing slightly about missing whatever concerts are going on a mile up the street. Drat. ;)

On the other hand, if you do have downtime during the weekend or on Labor Day itself, it's definitely a great place to go!

pagerunner on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    pagerunner wrote: »
    I just noticed that with PAX08 being on the 29-31 of August...

Oh, fnargh. I just realized what that means. It overlaps with Bumbershoot.

Fair warning: Seattle's going to be a little bit nuts. Bumbershoot (three-day music/arts/etc. festival) is staged at the Seattle Center, so it's not in the immediate vicinity, but expect a whole lot of people to be trekking there and back via the downtown core. (The Monorail, for instance, actually gets USED that weekend.) And at PAX itself, you'll probably get the locals like me, flailing slightly about missing whatever concerts are going on a mile up the street. Drat. ;)

On the other hand, if you do have downtime during the weekend or on Labor Day itself, it's definitely a great place to go!

Oh man, a PAX/BUmbershoot weekend could be utter madness in a can. Also, book your hotel early! People do come from all over the country for Bumbershoot, and don't be surprised if you run into a musician, artist, comedian or ten.

Criminy.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • DorgonDorgon Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    I'm going to disagree with the "Excellent Scheduling Choice" subject, and call this is the worst possible scheduling choice. This goes up against Bumbershoot, which might be Seattle's biggest weekend draw. This means that all the travel options are going to have jacked-up rates even moreso because it is Labor Day Weekend. Unofficial hotels, which might otherwise be cheap, will be expensive.

Holiday weekends already stink for traveling. I had hoped this was going to be scheduled for August 22-24 simply to avoid the conflict.

Dorgon on
    edited January 2008
    I also would have preferred August 22-24, but we've got what we've got. As for non-PAX hotels being more expensive, just get your reservation in now to avoid having to deal with non-PAX hotels.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    _______moe wrote: »
    I also would have preferred August 22-24, but we've got what we've got. As for non-PAX hotels being more expensive, just get your reservation in now to avoid having to deal with non-PAX hotels.

(links to cheaper non-PAX (so far) hotel post)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=4328036&postcount=4

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This was a terrible scheduling choice...PAX is one week before GENCON.

TechieZero on
    edited February 2008
    TechieZero wrote: »

You're right. Why didn't GENCON pick something better? :P

Liger on
    edited February 2008
    Gencon seems to have an undeserved superiority complex for something, from what I've heard, isn't all that fun.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008

PAX > GenCon

BigRed on
  • Draco53Draco53 Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    Actually, GenCon is two weeks before PAX, Aug 14-17.

Draco53 on
    edited February 2008
    Gencon seems to have an undeserved superiority complex for something, from what I've heard, isn't all that fun.

Ahhhhh so you have never been? ;-)

TechieZero on
    edited February 2008

Ahhhhh so you have never been? ;-)

One of the co-workers of my girlfriend's went last year, and I had her ask how it was. He told her it wasn't that great and he didn't have that much fun. That's all the second-hand info I've had on the event.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    I bet, (although difficult it will be) I can find one person who did not like PAX last year as well.

GenCon has always been great for me. I wish I could clone myself 6 ways just to get it all in. I am sure PAX is the same if not better.

TBH I wish I could go to both, and I might just do that.

TechieZero on
This discussion has been closed.