As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Kitchen Wars

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Kitchen Wars

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• LameGamer72LameGamer72 Registered User new member
    11 years since Charles' last appearance, what has he been up to?

• NemuriBakuNemuriBaku Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Lessons about fan expectations aside, I could go for some cookies. Maybe a nice dickerdoodle. There have always been a disproportionate number of Penny arcade fans into baking and making jerky for some reason.

NemuriBaku on
  • Roamin HemperorRoamin Hemperor Registered User new member
    Fun fact: the English word "cookie" derives from the Dutch word "koekje" (pronounced very similarly, despite the spelling, those wacky Dutchies), which literally means "little cake".

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    bdjkegyrdydo.png

The moist filling is sufficient for my smells. Please continue.

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I totally didn't understand this comic until someone mentioned fan expectations. That new Switch huh.
    Fun fact: the English word "cookie" derives from the Dutch word "koekje" (pronounced very similarly, despite the spelling, those wacky Dutchies), which literally means "little cake".

No, koek and cake are different things in Dutch. Koekjes are dry and brittle, cake is soft and moist.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    On the topic of the Switch:

There's no denying that Nintendo is quite capable of making money, and with a few exceptions, they have had an incredibly successful run of things for over 3 decades. But I still don't understand it. The decisions they make are nearly always baffling, and nearly always seem *to me* to be anti-money. And yet they continue to thrive.

The OLED Switch is just another example of a business decision that I do not even begin to understand, and yet I'm sure it will turn out to be quite profitable for Nintendo.

Lucascraft on
  • PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The decisions they make are nearly always baffling, and nearly always seem *to me* to be anti-money. And yet they continue to thrive.

When the Nintendo Mini came out, I was internally screaming at them to have it connect to wifi and let you download/stream a huge library of classic NES titles on demand. But no! NO! It would have been so easy, so... so absolutely trivial, and would have made so much money. But no. Why, Nintendo? Why?!

• FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    My brother, who happens to be a baker, makes cookies from time to time. They vary in quality, but average out at pretty good. His latest batch of chocolate chip-peanut butter was kinda burnt, though. Just a little.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    There's no denying that Nintendo is quite capable of making money, and with a few exceptions, they have had an incredibly successful run of things for over 3 decades. But I still don't understand it. The decisions they make are nearly always baffling, and nearly always seem *to me* to be anti-money. And yet they continue to thrive.

The walled garden is a big part of it. They've got a handful of long-running exclusive series with consistently popular core entries and usually tons of spin offs.

It isn't the half-ass world of Playstation and Xbox exclusives where once in a while there'll be something must have but it's mostly not and a lot of timed exclusives you can just wait out. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon alone are names that can carry a company bigger than Nintendo, and if you want one of the three, your options are to buy a Nintendo console or play the phone spinoffs (almost all of which are inferior and the one that's good requires going outside).

Their darkest hours like the Wii U were still propped up because they had super popular first party games.

Hevach on
  • iglooigloo Registered User new member
    Charles! :>

• BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    It shouldn't be that surprising, really. Nintendo has often made a lot of small iterations on its handheld consoles, and the Switch is a handheld console. It just so happens to *also* be a home console.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    d50f7o68xxs3.png

Pants, or sleeping owl?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    doompooky wrote: »
    bdjkegyrdydo.png

The moist filling is sufficient for my smells. Please continue.

I...uh.. hmmm.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular

Not really. Koekje comes from the Germanic "kuchen" and means biscuit. We used the word koek for all kinds of pastry until we settled of the english "cake" for the fluffy kind.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    Coconut Eaters are fucked up and fucking weird.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    *I will not make a Portal joke I will not make a Portal joke*

*hrrrrngggg.....*

STEN LIKES TINY CAKES

I mean, uh, I, too have been following the development of this Switch related incident, for I am always up on the latest gossip and definitely don't rely on decade old references...

• NemuriBakuNemuriBaku Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    *I am always up on the latest gossip and definitely don't rely on decade old references...

In the last few threads, I made a reference to a 1999 comic, and one from 2003 that was immediately purged from the site for legal reasons. I am genuinely shocked when anyone has any idea what the hell I'm talking about.

NemuriBaku on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    PeriSoft wrote: »
    The decisions they make are nearly always baffling, and nearly always seem *to me* to be anti-money. And yet they continue to thrive.

When the Nintendo Mini came out, I was internally screaming at them to have it connect to wifi and let you download/stream a huge library of classic NES titles on demand. But no! NO! It would have been so easy, so... so absolutely trivial, and would have made so much money. But no. Why, Nintendo? Why?!

Because then you wouldn't by the Nintendo Classic Teeny White which will include Tetris, Battletoads, and DuckTales. The Nintendo Classic Teeny Black will have Mother, MegaMan, and Contra.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Because they didn't need to go that far? The Nintendo Mini already sold very well as it was.

As for the strip, I was one of the few who didn't believe Tycho was baking anything in spite of the "rumors" from Gabe, so I'm perfectly happy with cookies.

Djiem on
  • PeriSoftPeriSoft Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Djiem wrote: »

Because they didn't need to go that far? The Nintendo Mini already sold very well as it was.

Sure. But I think they could have made *more* money with the right setup. Imagine trickling out 'new' titles linked to when they came out originally, so people would know - "Oh, X is coming out in two months!" The Mini had huge press when it first showed up, but when was the last time you heard anyone talking about it? With the right positioning they could have kept it relevant (and generating revenue) continuously - they could have turned it into a nostalgia money-printing machine by dribbling out games in a way that recreated the childhoods of customers. What they had was good, but it could have been amazing!

PeriSoft on
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Reading the newspost and its referenced article, I get it. Nintendo creates NEW niches using OUTDATED technology in innovative ways, and then wins by being the only player in that niche. Clever.

Bropocalypse on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    What are people mad about Nintendo having made instead of a cake?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

Oatmeal raisin cookies.

• doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    NemuriBaku wrote: »
    *I am always up on the latest gossip and definitely don't rely on decade old references...

In the last few threads, I made a reference to a 1999 comic, and one from 2003 that was immediately purged from the site for legal reasons. I am genuinely shocked when anyone has any idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Are you saying you might like these cookies if they were, in fact, carrot cake? You ready to commit a crime against God and man with me?

we7ek91hy97o.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

Oatmeal raisin cookies.

Gimme.

• ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    I really like oatmeal raisin cookies.

• ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    "Kitchen Wars" is an anagram of "Switch Karen", a person who demands to see the manager of Nintendo when the OLED Switch isn't what she expected. Genius wordplay, or happy coincidence?

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Zomagic wrote: »
    I really like oatmeal raisin cookies.

Thank you.

I've gotten into countless arguments with people about the merits of this divine delicacy of the Gods. Oatmeal raisin forever.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    What was the actual disappointment with the OLED Switch anyway?

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    V1m wrote: »

That it wasn't the 4K Ultra HD @ stable 60fps Switch the rumors had built expectations for.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

That it wasn't the 4K Ultra HD @ stable 60fps Switch the rumors had built expectations for.

And/or: It's not anything really new to buy if you already have a Switch. It's a perfectly valid upgrade to an existing market option and makes sense as the thing to have on the market where the old thing was.

Enthusiasts wanted something for them to buy. Buy, consume, new.

What is this I don't even.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I don't really get how they expected Nintendo to make a normal-sized Switch with the hardware performance they want, since as far as I'm aware the XBox One X and PS4 Pro couldn't always do 4K @ 60fps reliably, you often had to pick one or the other (4k @ stable 30, or 1080 @ stable 60), and just look at the size of MS & Sony's newest consoles.

The OLED Switch is fine, it's just not the crazy thing they'd hyped themselves up for and that's why there was disappointment.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I don't really get how they expected Nintendo to make a normal-sized Switch with the hardware performance they want, since as far as I'm aware the XBox One X and PS4 Pro couldn't always do 4K @ 60fps reliably, you often had to pick one or the other (4k @ stable 30, or 1080 @ stable 60), and just look at the size of MS & Sony's newest consoles.

The OLED Switch is fine, it's just not the crazy thing they'd hyped themselves up for and that's why there was disappointment.

It's like 99.5% people being ignorant/uncaring about production realities. I'll give them the half percent because the rumors were coming from fairly reliable sources. Or maybe just the one that kept getting repeated?

It wasn't only 69GOKUMAN69 in any case.

I'm also not clear on the utility of a 4k capable switch, isn't the screen about 4" across?

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I'm also not clear on the utility of a 4k capable switch, isn't the screen about 4" across?

It docks. The most common rumor about 4k was an upscaling chip in the dock or the new switch.

ahhh that makes a bit more sense

I mean it was still a pretty unrealistic expectation

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    been a while since apple guy was in the strip.