As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    There seems to be a bunch of new videos about Bloodborne recently, people are probably getting excited by the recent rumors of a remake or sequel I suppose

I am really curious about Fromsoft's direction after making Big Dark souls, like where do they even go from there

Peas on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Well hopefully more games like Sekiro and a new Armored Core

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Bigger Dark Souls, obviously.

Dark Souls around on foot, until the kaiju show up, then jump in your Armored Core and fight them.

Or Sekiro II:Armored Core 0: Giant Mecha Stealth Kills

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Internet famous Cool Artist and Vtuber Temmie started Dark Souls earlier

BahamutZERO.gif
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Tem pay 4 Duke's Archiv

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I forgot just how very dumb and stupid the invisi-path in the duke's archives is.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I forgot just how very dumb and stupid the invisi-path in the duke's archives is.

Feels like something they thought would really show off the power of the soapstone messages/player interactions rather than something that's good design, yeah.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Feels like something they thought would really show off the power of the soapstone messages/player interactions rather than something that's good design, yeah.

At least they gave us those rainbow stones. I don't think I'd have ever reached the blue slab without them.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The stuff dropping from the sky all over the place splashes like rain in water on the paths btw. Watch carefully for the hit effect and you can see exactly where it is safe.

I know that doesn't make it any less annoying but it is a thing that you can do to see where it is without any consumables.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I got lucky and was able to figure out the paths easily the first time, and of course once you know them the only one that's even slightly difficult to deal with is the path to the blue slab.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I think the paths were designed to be scary for your first couple runs until you realize that they are pretty much a
    straight path from one end to the other
    except for a specific one

Which I kinda appreciated because they could have made the boss run there frustrating as heck if all the paths were like the blue slab one

Fromsoft games, tough but not cruel

Peas on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    no, I'd say they're often cruel, too

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    no, I'd say they're often cruel, too

There is no other adjective to describe the Silver Knight archer setup in DS1

Or the world tendency system in Demon's Souls

Or Agility in DS2

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    agility is dumb, and bad design, but I wouldn't say that it's cruel

now, the sir alonne runback?

that's cruel

DS2 has the highest volume of cruelty imo, even with its shorter boss runs.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    i don't know if i'd call the boss runs shorter, generally

there are some real fuckin silly ones in that game

edited July 2021
    Elendil wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    i don't know if i'd call the boss runs shorter, generally

there are some real fuckin silly ones in that game

There are dozens of bosses and only, like, a tiny number of them are long, even fewer if we exclude the Challenge Area bosses where the run is meant to be a slog. It's one of the things that DS2 does significantly different from DS1 and BB that actually improves QoL.

Kamar on
    shitty runbacks are probably the thing I hate most in this series so I'm always really aware of them

the runbacks in DS2 are generally not bad, there's only a few in the main game I'd say are even noteworthy

that stops being true in the DLC, of course

The DLC of DS2 turns up the horseshit to 11 just in general

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    My least favorite runback in the entire series is probably (well, obviously the actual answer is the reindeer blizzard, but that one's too obvious so I'm disqualifying it) the one for Executioner's Chariot.

yes that one sucks

cB557 wrote: »
    My least favorite runback in the entire series is probably (well, obviously the actual answer is the reindeer blizzard, but that one's too obvious so I'm disqualifying it) the one for Executioner's Chariot.
    both alonne knight runs are worse but chariot is easy top 5

the lack of invincibility at fog walls makes all these runs with twenty leashless enemies en route so fucking dogshit

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My least favorite runback in ds2 was the one in the Shrine Of Amana

those fucking ladies shooting magic bolts at you!!

what a cool looking area though, it's definitely one I remember pretty well

Moriveth wrote: »

if you keep on the outer edge, you only really have to deal with the one. getting to the bonfire in amana is annoying as shit, but the actual boss run from that bonfire isn't so bad

Fire Usurped in DS3, lord of cinder punk'd, now Humans control the fire and we're gonna Do It Right.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I know this makes me insane, but I actually kind of disliked the emphasis on making runbacks easier and easier over time and games.

I guess they did balance it out by making the bosses harder and harder to compensate.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

if you keep on the outer edge, you only really have to deal with the one. getting to the bonfire in amana is annoying as shit, but the actual boss run from that bonfire isn't so bad

Well, NOW you tell me

I know this makes me insane, but I actually kind of disliked the emphasis on making runbacks easier and easier over time and games.

I guess they did balance it out by making the bosses harder and harder to compensate.
    put a bonfire in front of every boss, nothing will be lost

i didn't do multiple runs on friede and maria thinking boy, i sure do wish i had to spend 2 minutes rushing past a bunch of jerkoffs every time, i miss it so much

edited July 2021

put a bonfire in front of every boss, nothing will be lost

Hard, hard disagree. Going back to Demon Souls made me realise how much I missed the challenge being the level and the boss. Quite a few levels in that game it's fairly difficult to run past every single enemy and guarantee you will end up unscathed. But this is about personal preferences and not objective truths. There is no possibility of seeing eye to eye here. I like what I like, you like what you like. We will have to agree to disagree.

Fortunately for you, my preferences are going the way of the dodo. Sekiro had an idol right before (almost) every major boss, for example.

Morninglord on
    i just don't see the boss run contributing anything

99% of the time boss runs are speedrun mode, in which case you're specifically opting out of engaging with the level as much as possible

if you are engaging with the level each time, that shit just gets boring and time consuming. the fifth run through iron keep sure ain't getting any better than the first.

(i find multiphase bosses a little iffy for the same reason. how gud do i really need to get at the storm king before it becomes silly to make me do it over while i learn nameless king's shit)

i say this as someone who attempted Ludwig in Blooodborne at level 4. I can comfortably and routinely no-hit phase 1 at level 4, and then immediately get one-shot fucked in phase 2, the souls equivalent of having one really jacked arm

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    A good boss run is a satisfying little puzzle of routing and dodging. I too would like to keep them around to some degree.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Y'all masochists can have your boss run fun by not using the hypothetical boss bonfires and letting us poor normies use them

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I have had people argue with me that ADP is a good addition to the game

I safely ignore their soulspinions from now on

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I have had people argue with me that ADP is a good addition to the game

I safely ignore their soulspinions from now on

what even is that argument

"now the player has to invest in making themselves able to dodge things consistently?"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited July 2021
    cB557 wrote: »
    A good boss run is a satisfying little puzzle of routing and dodging. I too would like to keep them around to some degree.

This. I know its great to simplify and say you ignore the level but I'm actively concentrating during most boss runs that take me past enemies and when I don't I get tagged. I especially like the ones where I do just have to fight through the enemies. And I don't get bored doing it. Cos playing the game is fun. Even stuff I've fought before. Even the 20th time. Because I enjoy mastery, and getting a run down to a science feels good to me.
    Y'all masochists can have your boss run fun by not using the hypothetical boss bonfires and letting us poor normies use them

Nah that wont be properly designed challenge. I want the challenge they tested and sweated over and tweaked over and over. That idea is just a hack, and not a very satisfying one. Not a solution.

But again, it's going your way guys! There's really no need to argue about it cos you are getting what you want. I've come to terms with this no longer being a thing.

Morninglord on
    now that i've beaten DS1/3, I'm going to try to finally beat DS2. However, there seem to be two games in my steam account, the base game and Dark Souls 2: Sins of the Whatever? Is that a separate exe? Or is that the full game + DLC?

now that i've beaten DS1/3, I'm going to try to finally beat DS2. However, there seem to be two games in my steam account, the base game and Dark Souls 2: Sins of the Whatever? Is that a separate exe? Or is that the full game + DLC?

Scholar is the revamped version plus DLC

edited July 2021

Scholar of the First Sin is the updated rerelease with all of the DLC, with more summons and some QOL stuff (I think graphics are different too?) but also enemy placement changed. Has a harder beginning and a few places that just feel harder (and some that are easier, apparently, though people forget that when they're ass-deep in Iron Keep). Supposedly has better thought-out enemy placement for lore?

It's the only version I've ever played through, and it's fine. Though I sort of hated the game for large portions of my first playthrough, for various reasons. But it's also the one I've played the most.

Kamar on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    scholar is mostly improved, but some of the enemy placement is absolute garbage

also scholar adds aldia, who loredumps because the plot of DS2 was poorly relayed to the player