As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shopping challenge: I need a plastic tub or kiddie pool to shower in.

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
This one's pretty straightforward!

This summer I'm taking a very big, exciting (and expensive :( ) step and completely gutting and remodeling my bathroom, a project that's more than 10 years overdue.

The problem is that this is my only full bathroom. And I'll be doing the (non-plumbing) work myself, with the help of my dad, so I'll be saving money at the cost of having the bathroom out of commission for several weeks.

So I need a way to get clean in the interim. I can probably impose on family and friends a couple of times a week but certainly not every day. I do, however, have a nice kitchen sprayer with good pressure and as an experienced camper/hiker I know how to take efficient, low-water showers. I just need a way to not make a giant soapy mess on my kitchen floor.

Ideally what I'd like is a broad plastic tub, big enough to stand in, with walls high enough that most of the water won't slop over the sides. My kitchen is a somewhat narrow shotgun affair, though, maybe 5 feet wide, so some of the more full-sized kiddie pools I've seen wouldn't fit. Also, ideally, it would be something I could pack away fairly easily when not in use; I'd rather not have this thing dominating the kitchen floor for 3 weeks.

Any help would be appreciated, not just by me, but by everyone I'm hanging out with this summer. :razz:

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I feel like getting a gym membership for a month or whatever might be the easiest method for handling this, but if you’re really determined i think an inflatable pool might be best. Get a little electric pump for it and fold it away under the sink when not in use.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Is running a hose outside from your half-bath window an option? I think hanging a curtain outside and not worrying about ruined flooring would be easier.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Something like this?

Intex Sunset Glow Baby Pool (34 in x 10 in) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I9RZOW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CZV6XJBGVR8D95VMTN8H

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I agree with the gym membership, personally. Some full body wipes to keep things alright in the interim, and hitting the gym once a day is probably an easy route if you have one within 10-15min of the house.

that being said, they make (kinda expensive) temporary bath tubs. I'd still be so worried about it springing a leak if you filled it completely while inside, but if you're taking a low water bath with a sprayer, the narrow shape with high walls and the drain hose might serve you better than a kiddie pool. I fear the pools are kinda flat and wide, which seems designed to be just dumped out in the yard when you're done with it.

Slightly cheaper are these pop up spas, but they look to be designed to be used in the shower, or outside, so I'd again be worried about leaks.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Digging through Amazon, it looks like you could get a portable camp shower or shower tent for actually pretty cheap- like $25 or so- and portable shower kits, too.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    A gym membership isn't an option; I'm visually impaired and can't drive, and the gym within walking distance closed last year. I'm sure another will take its place in due course, but that's not helpful to me at this time.

In case it's not clear, I'm not looking to take baths; I just need something I can stand in while I get damp, lather up, rinse off and towel off. That's it. It's a very simple, straightforward proposition made difficult in my case by the fact that browsing internet catalogues is an incredibly slow, time-consuming process for me.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I have found the plastic containers from Lowe's and the like to be wonderful for holding water. I don't know how broad would be broad enough, but they offer them in a variety of sizes. I have a couple I have used to transport water from my fish tank when I have moved. I am garbage at estimating sizes but I definitely could stand in them. They are relatively easy to store, and can be very useful after you have your bathroom back.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I have found the plastic containers from Lowe's and the like to be wonderful for holding water. I don't know how broad would be broad enough, but they offer them in a variety of sizes. I have a couple I have used to transport water from my fish tank when I have moved. I am garbage at estimating sizes but I definitely could stand in them. They are relatively easy to store, and can be very useful after you have your bathroom back.

The best of these seems to be out of stock online, but you might try in person: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Centrex-64-Gallon-256-Quart-Green-Holiday-Tote-with-Latching-Lid/1000533377

sig.gif
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    In case it's not clear, I'm not looking to take baths; I just need something I can stand in while I get damp, lather up, rinse off and towel off. That's it. It's a very simple, straightforward proposition made difficult in my case by the fact that browsing internet catalogues is an incredibly slow, time-consuming process for me.

I'm suggesting the portable bathtubs for water tightness and high-walled ness, which I feel like will help with splashing. When you look at the kiddie pool, the walls are quite low, but I feel like when you get to adult size with higher walls, the pool will also be much wider which will not fit your space. I also assume that even if splashing is not a concern, If you are using your kitchen sprayer, water will accumulate fast.

Those bins might work though, and be easy to lift/drain/store.

Also, Sorry if the gym suggestion seemed dismissive of what you were asking for, its an often overlooked option for this kind of thing. If you set a budget, I'm sure we could pull together a list of options with their pros and cons to save you from having to shop and look at amazon.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »

I'm suggesting the portable bathtubs for water tightness and high-walled ness, which I feel like will help with splashing. When you look at the kiddie pool, the walls are quite low, but I feel like when you get to adult size with higher walls, the pool will also be much wider which will not fit your space. I also assume that even if splashing is not a concern, If you are using your kitchen sprayer, water will accumulate fast.

Also, Sorry if the gym suggestion seemed dismissive of what you were asking for, its an often overlooked option for this kind of thing. If you set a budget, I'm sure we could pull together a list of options with their pros and cons to save you from having to shop and look at amazon.

I am kinda with you on thinking the water might build up faster than expected. Water is a lot heavier than I ever expect intuitively. No clue on how much experience Jacobkosh.

If water build up is an issue there is a solution I know of for that as well if you are willing to spend a bit more. Water pumps for fish tanks are super good at getting water out of stuff. Something like this would likely work although I have heard mixed reviews on hand pumps in the past. That might be due to trying to get tens of gallons of water out rather than the more limited amount I assume would be present here.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I am kinda with you on thinking the water might build up faster than expected. Water is a lot heavier than I ever expect intuitively. No clue on how much experience Jacobkosh.

If water build up is an issue there is a solution I know of for that as well if you are willing to spend a bit more. Water pumps for fish tanks are super good at getting water out of stuff. Something like this would likely work although I have heard mixed reviews on hand pumps in the past. That might be due to trying to get tens of gallons of water out rather than the more limited amount I assume would be present here.

This is a very very good idea and I was coming in to post the exact same thing. If the goal is saving your kitchen floor from having 10gal of water poured over it, lifting or dragging an awkward open-top box full of water is not conducive to that goal. Definitely get yourself a fishtank pump!

spool32 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Digging through Amazon, it looks like you could get a portable camp shower or shower tent for actually pretty cheap- like $25 or so- and portable shower kits, too.

I agree with this, if you have a space outside a camp shower seems like a better idea. Just a small tent for privacy that drains at the bottom. Then get a solar shower where can you leave the water bag in the sun to heat up or just fill it from the sink. Requires being able to lift a 5lbs+ bag of water over your head. Even if you stay indoors and use the kiddie pool the camp shower would at least keep you from accidentally spraying water everywhere in your kitchen

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If you can shower at friends’ houses twice a week you can probably just give yourself a wash with a damp cloth in the kitchen sink. You can wash your hair in the sink too: my mum grew up in a house with no bathroom and that is how she did it. It takes a bit of practice.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

This is a very very good idea and I was coming in to post the exact same thing. If the goal is saving your kitchen floor from having 10gal of water poured over it, lifting or dragging an awkward open-top box full of water is not conducive to that goal. Definitely get yourself a fishtank pump!

Yeah I was thinking a big plastic bin with a submersible electric aquarium pump & tubing to pump the waste water back up to the sink drain should work fine. Maybe prop one end of the tub up on some wood block so there's a slope and the pump can stay in the water. It wouldn't get all the water out but it should get most of it, to the point that the bin becomes liftable.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    This one's pretty straightforward!

This summer I'm taking a very big, exciting (and expensive :( ) step and completely gutting and remodeling my bathroom, a project that's more than 10 years overdue.

The problem is that this is my only full bathroom. And I'll be doing the (non-plumbing) work myself, with the help of my dad, so I'll be saving money at the cost of having the bathroom out of commission for several weeks.

So I need a way to get clean in the interim. I can probably impose on family and friends a couple of times a week but certainly not every day. I do, however, have a nice kitchen sprayer with good pressure and as an experienced camper/hiker I know how to take efficient, low-water showers. I just need a way to not make a giant soapy mess on my kitchen floor.

Ideally what I'd like is a broad plastic tub, big enough to stand in, with walls high enough that most of the water won't slop over the sides. My kitchen is a somewhat narrow shotgun affair, though, maybe 5 feet wide, so some of the more full-sized kiddie pools I've seen wouldn't fit. Also, ideally, it would be something I could pack away fairly easily when not in use; I'd rather not have this thing dominating the kitchen floor for 3 weeks.

Any help would be appreciated, not just by me, but by everyone I'm hanging out with this summer. :razz:

So, here's a question, what's the general outdoor temperature where you live over the course of the process? Is your kitchen ground floor, if so and your tap accommodates a hose you can run a hose out the window and not worry about inside mess. Rigging up a temporary shower curtain wouldn't be difficult.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If the sprayer becomes a hassle at all, I found that a large plastic watering can that you can get at like Target etc. actually makes a great shower if you're confident you won't drop it on your foot. I used it in conjunction with an electric kettle (balanced with non-scalding water!) successfully for several days and it was barely different from a normal shower.